Sign in to follow this  
bigwave

Vancouver Shows 1 & 2 #U2ieTour Reviews & Comments Thread

#U2ieTour Vancouver Show 1 -What Was Your Favourite Song(s) Of The Night? (Choose up to 3...)  

62 members have voted

1. 1. What was your favourite song(s) of each night? Choose up to 3 from each...

• The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
    • Out Of Control
    • Vertigo
    • I Will Follow
    • Iris (Hold Me Close)
    • Cedarwood Road
    • Song For Someone
    • Sunday Bloody Sunday
    • Raised By Wolves
    • Until The End Of The World
    • Invisible
    • Even Better Than The Real Thing
    • Mysterious Ways
    • Desire
    • Sweetest Thing
    • Every Breaking Wave
    • Bullet The Blue Sky
    • Pride (In The Name Of Love)
    • The Troubles
    • With Or Without You
    • City Of Blinding Lights
    • Beautiful Day
    • Where The Streets Have No Name
    • I Sill Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
  2. 2. #U2ieTour Vancouver Show 2 - What Was Your Favourite Song(s) Of The Night? (Choose up to 3...)

• The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
    • Vertigo
    • California (There is no End to Love)
    • I Will Follow
    • Iris (Hold Me Close)
    • Cedarwood Road
    • Song for Someone
    • Sunday Bloody Sunday
    • Raised By Wolves
    • Until The End Of The World
    • Invisible
    • Even Better Than The Real Thing
    • Mysterious Ways
    • Angel Of Harlem
    • When Love Comes To Town
    • Every Breaking Wave
    • Bullet The Blue Sky
    • Pride (In The Name Of Love)
    • Beautiful Day
    • With Or Without You
    • Miracle Drug
    • Bad
    • Where The Streets Have No Name
    • One

Where you there? Following along in the live threads or elsewhere online, or been catching up with all the shows news?

Post up your reviews, images, videos for all to enjoy & share

Don;t worry if you already posted them elsewhere (in the Zoo or beyond) - just add here too, or links to your offline blogs & sites

Which was your favourite song(s) of each night (don;t forget to add your votes to the topic poll..)

What was the defining special moment?

>>One suggestion to the U2 crew... get that video moved over to us at the front. Why display it for people who have a direct view of the band? We in the front can't see them at all.... A video view would be nice<<

I had the same thought. Why are they playing the live shots over the E stage where everything is happening? We at the other end at the main stage and felt very cut off from what was happening down there as we couldn't see it for ourselves.

Edited by Napoli84

Great, sometimes epic. No regrets !

I've been on GA on the first night, north side, by the rail of the e-stage. Great spot, that I secured easily despite the fact I arrived in the GA line-up around 4:30 in the afternoon. Once inside, I found myself side to a brazilian couple who were in the line since 4:00 am (around number 70)... 

Second night I was on section 121. 3/4 behind the main stage, with a decent view on the screen.

Very impressive imo for a tour start, looks like they already have dozen gigs done before.

The stage setup is really neat. Except for the upper bowl behind the stage, I guess there are no bad seats. Everyone gets at least a piece of it.

Technically speaking that was impressive. The screen of course and the transparency effects, but I'd like to mention the sound as well, that was incredible. Only downside, it sounded a little too bright at times, especially on loud guitar parts. But top notch overall !

Setlist was +++ imo, with some very special events : ONE not played for the very first time, rarities such as OOC or WHEN LOVES COME TO TOWN, and of course BAD !!! My god, this one is so precious that they play it only a few times every tour, and we got the chance to have it.

I never use my phone during a concert, because memories are the most valuable souvenirs, but i made an exception this time, by filming just a little bit for my wife who could'nt attend due to injury. But no entire song, just pieces here and there :

Now I hope for a second north-american leg coming around Seattle or Portland (of course they're welcome to Van if they want to come back :))

Lucky those about to see it ! Enjoy guys !

Forgot to mention : in my opinion the best sports are near the e-stage / catwalk crossing, as shown in green there :

632865Sanstitre.png

My review:  I saw both shows and think that this tour features a truly awesome show, but not the pair of two distinct shows that was originally billed (and the tour program still seems to imply is the case, which seems... inaccurate at best, embarrassing at worst).

First, the good:  The band sounds and looks great (as always), and the setlist combines a number of new favorites from Songs of Innocence with old favorites and standards.  The stage setup and visual effects were generally very strong, though I liked them best when used in a more minimal way.  For example, usually in arena or stadium shows, my eyes tend to be drawn to the video screens rather than watching the band live, which always seems unfortunate (why not just stay home and watch videos?).  For that reason, I *loved* the way "Even Better than the Real Thing" was staged in such a way that each band member was juxtaposed with a close-up image of themselves playing, permitting us to see them live and zoomed in simultaneously without looking back and forth from screen to show.  On the other end of the spectrum, Cedarwood Road was a really nice example of using the visual effects in creative ways that fit the music well (particularly the two different paces of the visuals depending on the speed of the song), including a clever dimming of Bono's spots at just the right time to make him disappear behind a vehicle in the "foreground" and a perfectly timed cherry tree when that lyric was sung.  Yet the strongest moments for me were the most human ones.  The cellphone camera operator from the audience on night #1 did a great job of filming the band in a way that felt warm, close, and personal, like a home movie.  The young lad who Bono brought out of the audience for Beautiful Day on night #1 was also great to watch, moving from rapt attention to celebration over the course of the song.  Night #2's cellphone operator seemed to feel a bit less comfortable moving around (maybe didn't receive as much encouragement to do so from Bono).

The disappointing aspect for me was how much the two shows ended up being similar.  Usually when U2 tours, I only go to one of two nights in my city because the setlist tends to be so much the same (semi-understandably, due to their production values), and so once is typically enough for me.  So when I heard about this tour involving two distinct nights, I was excited.  Primarily because U2's catalog is so deep and so full of favorites for me that this seemed like a no-brainer way to feature more songs (and maybe more songs off the beaten path) than usual.  I bought the tickets figuring that there would be some amount of overlap from night 1 to night 2, guessing it to be about 1/3 of the set, primarily focused on new material that they'd want to feature on both nights.  The NYT article telegraphed that that original vision had eroded somewhat and suggested that half the show would be the same and half different, so I adjusted by expectations to anticipate about half the songs to be the same.  So to end up with a setlist that was 3/4 the same and which rarely ventured away from songs that are mainstays on every tour was very disappointing ("Out of Control" and "Bad" being two highlights off the recently beaten path for me, with the strong showing of R&H songs on both nights being notable as well).  In the NYT article, I saw this rationalized as "not wanting anyone to feel like they'd been there on the lesser of two nights", but if that's the case, I don't think the show should've been billed as being so different from one night to the next.  Nothing from the second night said "experience" to me more than the first night said "innocence", and beyond the setlist similarities, even the patter was quiet similar at times, particularly for the long portion of the setlist that overlapped.

The main thing that saved the second night from being a complete disappointment was that our seats were so different that we got to see the show from a completely different vantage point (the floor the first night, which was great for seeing the band when they were on our side of the arena, but terrible for seeing the visual effects; and then the 3rd level on the second night, which was the complete opposite).  If our seats had been in the same places both nights...  I would've felt ripped off by night two, I'm sorry to say.

So I think that U2 and their management and promotion should call a spade a spade.  This is a great, solid show for U2 and no doubt will be a solid tour, but it looks to be one that features minor variations on a single show, not a pair of shows that are somehow distinct from one another.  Quoting from the original show announcement, Bono said "We are going to try to have a completely different feeling from night one to night two."  A great concept, but not something they've achieved here.  If you're like me and typically prefer not to see the same show twice on a single tour, go once and revel in it.  If you don't mind seeing the show multiple times, go twice -- just don't be fooled into thinking that you're going to get a completely different feeling on night two.

-Brad  (U2 fan since `87)

Helloooo still not come down!! Was at both nights GA - first night up at front rail, 2nd night front rail catwalk, a little more than midway down towards B-stage. As incredible as night 1 was up front, night 2 blew it out of the place for me!! Sounded better night 2 in that position and the crowd was a lot livelier IMHO. Had 2 great queues with all my U2 best friends from all around the world and local -- scheming now for another show(s). Haven't posted on the Zootopia since Vertigo probably ... have to figure out how pics and videos work lol

Vancouver 1

Vancouver 2

Vancouver 2

Vancouver 2

It was so funny in the queue for night 1, I was alone holding the spot while my friends were out eating / bathroom break etc and our local radio station stopped right in front of me, and got an impromptu sing-a-long going and it made the news. My brother and sister-in-law were arguing if that was me, my own brother said it wasn't ahaha she won the bet. The line was so much fun, meeting people you haven't seen since the last tour, meeting friends you've only talked to online, random strangers bringing pizza or chocolate or water by, lively conversations and plot hatching ... would do it all over again!

Edited by justgimmewhatiwant

Like A Song, there were quite a lot of set list changes for night 2. It was definitely worth seeing it twice.

Where does one post a random about the shows?

Back in the day I would do this in the general forum. If anyone still remembers me Hellooooooooo!

Just home from Van City and some gentle prodding brought me here to post this.

So here is some of my thoughts about the opening stand...

its definitely an experience and a show with a theme. they sound great. really fantastic. and so fun to see them laugh at themselves. Lots of times...Bono just didnt know the words. it was funny and he could actually laugh too and smile and they humour him and keep playing with smiles of course.

I found it a different vibe from any U2 show I have been to. So my impressions are that...it gets really slow in the middle, like a saggy mattress lol. there is a point where songs slow down, there are new ones all grouped together and they are behind the screens. to me this really affects the energy in the building I heard one hardcore fan refer to this as "the boring parts" which kinda stings but has some truth in it.

The new songs sound really good. I actually like them better live. But they do have a melancholy vibe in them and when you pack em together and disappear from the stage there is a deflation of the high energy i am used to at a show. at least on the floor where the effect of the screens is very low.

in keeping with that there was to me a wierd vibe to even the high energy tunes. i think this is the way they are in the setlist. ie... vertigo on 360 was KILLER. it was my fav part of the show when those sirens would start. in comparison its effect currently is at 50% of energy generation. and tbh i didnt even break a sweat at night 2 and if you know me that says alot because I go to dance and jump all night and sweat easily lol. but the vibe and energy just barely gets to that level. all of this can be remedied from my pov by tweaks in setlist. i am looking forward to seeing them next month for a comparison.

on to other tidbits...

- ga line in Van night 1 was ace. night 2 was a bit needlessly intense but still safe and organized well

- the stage/set is beautiful and I love it.

- the setlists were great but have to somehow get rearranged. night 2 setlist was incredible to hear

- north side rail is better than south. you see the main stage much better. like significantly better view of all band members. cameras are set up on south side.

- if you que for days for main stage in tours past dont waste your time

-catwalk is a great spot I was about 1/3 of the way down

-doing a show at b stage will be a must if you are a multi show ga-er like myself - this will be where you have any chance of being called up on stage and where they are most likely to slip rarities into the list. also all 4 band members on that stage for several songs not just one....its alot down there

- based on my count and estimates 180 persons will get rail position give or take

-adam fans should stay on the north side close to main stage or in the first 1/3 of the catwalk

-larry fans hit b stage - if they play troubles he will be right in adams spot at the edge of the main stage but thats a risk to hope they play it. b stage gets you right up close. catwalk near b stage would also be a prime spot.

- bono lovers think catwalk and b stage

-the edge is everywhere. he hardly stops.

-they bring a fan on stage to film them with the cell phone zoo tv style...absolutely BRILLIANT!!!!

-we had to scan our cc at the door to get in. they did not ask to see any sort of ticket (if yours is on your phone) and they did not ask for id...just in case you should have all 3 tho

-buying and selling tix in line is a b#$@+ but its possible and I did it and worked it out just peachy cc entry and strict line rules and all.

-we were not given a choice of side to enter. if your ticket says north they will try to make you go there. it is possible to move to the other side once you are in down near the b stage but its a small window of time and you cant leave the floor after you are in. i did manage to convince a guy to give me a north arm band on night 2 but it wasn't easy. so be aware of potential difficulty with the north and south ga tickets if you are with your friends.

Anything else? you can ask. and if you ever see me come and say hi! just not early in the am as I am not a social lady at those times.

and to be even more specific...larry fans going to the b stage the south side is best for you to be closest to him.

Hi Chadd:  

Again, if you're the kind of fan who would go see them for two consecutive nights on any of their tours, nothing about i+e should stop you -- you'll get a solid pair of very similar shows (and, granted, they were less similar than, say, the Vertigo tour where a second night in Seattle would have gotten you only 3 new songs out of 18).  On the other hand, if you're the kind of person who, like me, would normally balk at spending $230 for a second night of tickets, you might end up feeling cheated by the way the tour was advertised compared to what you got.  Swapping out 6 of 24 songs, reordering 1 or 2, repeating a 10-song sequence, and using nearly identical visual effects (the Lykke Li video footage being the main exception I can think of) does not -- for me -- come close to meeting the pre-sale description of "a completely different feel from night one to night two," which is what caused me to buy for both nights.  If I'd known, I would've stayed home on night two.  And if I were seeing them at any other city later in the tour, I'd want someone to give me a heads-up like this so I could make an informed decision before I went.

-Brad

PS -- Merged setlist below (B = both nights, 1 = 1st night only, 2 = 2nd night only):

B: The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
1: Out Of Control
B: Vertigo
2: California (There is no End to Love)
B: I Will Follow
B: Iris (Hold Me Close)
B: Cedarwood Road
B: Song for Someone
B: Sunday Bloody Sunday
B: Raised By Wolves
B: Until The End Of The World
B: Invisible
B: Even Better Than The Real Thing
B: Mysterious Ways
1: Desire
1: Sweetest Thing
2: Angel Of Harlem
2: When Love Comes To Town
B: Every Breaking Wave
B: Bullet The Blue Sky
B: Pride (In The Name Of Love)
1: The Troubles
B: Beautiful Day
B: With Or Without You
1: City Of Blinding Lights
2: Miracle Drug
2: Bad
B: Where The Streets Have No Name
1: I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
2: One

Introligator why the best spots can you give me more details please thanks. I tought the best spots are the same but in the main stage area.

Forgot to mention : in my opinion the best sports are near the e-stage / catwalk crossing, as shown in green there :

632865Sanstitre.png

Great reviews thanks :)
So I posted a status yesterday which read "Did anybody else get MacPhisto flashbacks during UTEOTW?" 

Hot Press has released this article today and Olaf Tyaransen said the same thing, what does everyone think? I'm not saying he would even consider reprising the character, I don't think he would, but could we perhaps be seeing a new persona in development for the first time in years, maybe, maybe not, but this would make a lover of theatre, eccentrics, extroverts and seeing as much acting as singing in a front man (ie. myself) very happy :D

http://www.hotpress.com/U2/music/U2-In-Vancouver-The-Aftermath/14069912.html

Edited by Rhi_K

My Mom had me promise to post this poem she wrote for the concert. I gave her my subscription tickets. She took one brother, but many family were there by the 'e'. I'd have posted in the livestream but she posted not quite on time. 

TONIGHT
We can be as one tonight...
And we were Rock Solid Take it on back home
Well the band they played And the turf was toffed 
And the spliffs Engaged Really quite alot
And the tunes were played We were all at home
And we danced our hearts From our heads to toes
Quite a lot was gained As we did reflect
'Bout bein global citizens With respect
Yeah the plan to be To be as one
And well the stage at hand Was really grand
And the power flowed Right on thro the band
And we howled as loud As we could howl
And the Bono said Lay your cell phones down
And be here Don't watch We can be as one
And we all linked up And we all rocked on
Larry Mullen played With his father passed
The Edge lost his edge But he came right back
And Adam was smiling And Bono was strong
May we all Rock 
And on a personal note All our family showed
And lo and behold We can be as One

-as I am 1000's of miles away, it was v. gratifying to run across my brother and mother on the tail end of a youtube video from the show @5:06.

https://youtu.be/Gfv_R11ovFM?list=PLz31r_gwVKwoKy_TN4X_jX6Y7yQbF_M07

Edited by rayson_detre

I made it to both nights. Night one I was in GA, south side, about 3/4 of the way down the catwalk towards the e stage, a couple of people back from the rail. Second night I was in section 114, which was my first time in reserved seats since they started doing GA for the floor. I was a little disappointed with the reserved seats - the view was great, and it was nice to get the full visual on the screens, but the energy was completely dead, I think largely because the people surrounding me appeared to be casual fans at best, so they not only checked out during all the new songs, at least a couple of the people near me clearly thought I was insane from my reaction to hearing the first few notes of Bad...

Overall, I enjoyed the shows and I'm glad I made it to both. I also thought the new material sounded fantastic, and while there are always songs we could put on our dream setlists, there was a pretty good mix of new and old favourites. I definitely enjoyed the GA experience more, even with not always being able to fully see the screens (or stuff on stage...despite being embarassingly close to where it happened, neither my friend or I saw Edge fall the first night because there were a few too many tall people in the way!)

My 52nd and 53rd U2 shows were nights one and two. This was my 3rd opening night/2nd night combo (1st being Elevation tour, 2nd being Vertigo tour), and I knew full well that night one was going to see a reserved and cautious band performing in front of the world's music media. Night 2 always has a better vibe than night 1. Most called night 1 great and night 2 outstanding, which is how U2 concert tours usually flow. I won't see the tour again in person until July, which is when the production will have grown into itself and I'll look back at nights 1 and 2 and think "yeah, those were great shows - but now it's epic."

That said, I came to Vancouver with an agenda. For the past 2 years, my personal life had been torn apart by my son's school system who refused to understand the type of disability he has, causing great mental and emotional harm to him while it almost broke our family. I've written about it in some of my articles on atu2.com. I relied heavily on U2's music to help me through that nightmare, and only now have I begun to deal with the rage and the heartbreak that it has caused our family. I went to Vancouver to try to find some healing from it all, to lose myself in the music and the message and to reconnect with a joyful experience. I had forgotten what sheer joy felt like.

Reading and listening to the interviews the band and production crew gave, I was able to better understand the genesis of the show. That took some pressure off of me in trying to make heads or tails out of it. While I was there with a group of about 20 friends and hundreds of acquaintances, I was able to zone directly into the show. Bono's "mind mess" merged with mine, and slowly connections began being made and healing began. Here I am in an arena with 17,000 others having an emotional breakthrough, and I wasn't embarrassed to be giving into the pain, hurt and anger through the tears. I placed myself in the shoes of Iris, thinking about my 8 year old son and wondered how he'd turn out if I was no longer in his life. It gutted me. I thought about my 6-year old daughter looking silly in photographs, walking unafraid during "City Of Blinding Lights" and realizing just how precious her innocence is. The experience my family went through over the past 2 years tried to rob me of my joy, breaking my self-confidence in a way where I could have let my anger get the best of me. That was my secret hidden addiction - anger - and when Bono whispered "Let it go" at the end of Bad, I felt that forgiveness wash through me in such a way that I knew Spirit was working overtime within me. I'm glad I videotaped that performance for atu2, because each time I've watched it (and it's been at least three dozen times now), it digs deeper in my soul and is mending me.

As exhausted as I am from the late nights and covering the tour for atu2, I feel a renewal that I haven't felt in a long time. I've come to peace with the journey that our family was forced to take for the past 2 years with our son. I'm happy to say that through a lot of effort and hard work, he's recovered from the PTSD symptoms he had due to the school treatment. I'm also happy to say that we've taken a page out of Bono's book on activism and have worked within our community and our state to change the laws on how school districts can treat children...and I know our work is not done yet. Had it not been for Bono's activism inspiration, I might not have had the courage to do what we've done to change things in my state. This is why when he said at the start of Vancouver 2, "It’s just an amazing thing. Whatever’s going on, it’s a phenomenon equal to what’s going on on stage is what’s going on in the crowd, the U2 crowd. Very special people," I can relate to that. Many in the Vancouver audience has a story of inspiration. Being able to be part of that synergy where the collective transcends the experience is what a U2 show is all about.

Very few knew my personal agenda for being in Vancouver. I knew that if anything or anyone was going to kickstart my emotional healing, it would be U2. They paid me back in spades, and for that I am grateful. My family thanks them because I needed to find myself again...and unlike the closer from night 1, I did find what I was looking for...and then some. I've found that you need to embrace the moment you're in right now. "Time won't leave me as I am, time won't take the boy out of this man" serves as a reminder to not lose oneself, and no matter how much of an emotional wreck I was during the song, I still heard "Oh, you look so beautiful tonight" - authenticity...can't hide behind a fake shell. Take the pain, the grief and the anguish and let it go.

So, thanks, U2. For the next month, I'm going to sort out my "mind mess" so when I see you again in Boston, I'll be prepared to dig even deeper. You have a way about doing that...and for that, my family thanks you as well.

http://www.livloren.com/?p=765

U2: INNOCENCE AND EXPERIENCE TOUR REVIEW

POSTED BY LIV LOREN  MAY - 19 - 2015

Excitement filled the city as one of the world’s biggest bands was preparing for the first two dates of their world tour.  U2 spent a month in the city of Vancouver practicing and preparing for the iNNOCENCE And eXPERIENCE Tour, and fans stood outside just so they could get a sneak peak of the set, or even just to hear the band play.  They came from all over the world just to see the opening date of U2’s tour, not only that but they started lining up 4 days before it would even begin.

The day finally arrived, everyone in the city was buzzing.  People were walking around the city wearing their old U2 tour shirts with pride, even if it meant having it under your work clothes, blasting music as they drove around, or just talking about what songs they wanted to hear over coffee.  Even while standing in line waiting to get in Rogers Arena, people were discussing all the previous times they’ve seen the band, and they didn’t even know each other.  It was already bringing people together....

full review http://www.livloren.com/?p=765

Sign in to follow this