Sign in to follow this  
phill pohl

People holding mobile phones in the air

Has to be the most annoying thing at a concert.Is it so they can post on fb to prove they were there?It spoils peoples view and is pathetic

I agree! At a gig, it's the most frustrating thing! Even more annoying when they're not actually watching the band, but just taking selfies!

I think the phone has replaced the lighter, not a fan of either.

You can get a Zippo app that works on your phone if you want to combine them...

Every time I watched the video of U2 in the NYC Subway, the girl who Bono tries to sing to, while she keeps looking instead at her phone to try and get a selfie, is so infuriating. Like, why are you so fixated on preserving a moment you're not having?

I do not care but remember some of these persons make you happy with live feed and bootlegs and live video

I do not care but remember some of these persons make you happy with live feed and bootlegs and live video

Anyone behind me can do anything they want.  :)

You better get front row then :P

Edited by monica martino

Absolutely infuriating--should be banned, although these days this would be hard to implement, for sure.  Look, it's simple--it blocks the view of people behind you, which is not OK.

I had someone hold their phone up near my face for a lot of a concert once. I sent them home with some horribly off-key singing.

Lol, she had not realized who he was until the song was almost over...lucky girl.

Every time I watched the video of U2 in the NYC Subway, the girl who Bono tries to sing to, while she keeps looking instead at her phone to try and get a selfie, is so infuriating. Like, why are you so fixated on preserving a moment you're not having?

Edited by angelofharlem4u2

Yeah, when people have their phones out the whole show, its distracting and annoying. In some of the videos I've seen there are people looking at their phones (posting stuff?) and not even watching the band!   I'm guilty of taking videos and photos too, probably too many sometimes, but it does distract from enjoying the moment.  Better to have a drink in one hand and the other raised in the air, enjoying the show! 

I had someone hold their phone up near my face for a lot of a concert once. I sent them home with some horribly off-key singing.

Haha!  I'll have to remember this one.

True, this is the catch-22 of doing this.

Prince does'nt let ANYONE use phones at his concerts, seriously.. went to his MTL Bell Center show in 2011, you should have seen the number of security people there pouncing on anyone using cells to video even a minute.... it was oddly impressive :)

But that would not be possible with U2.... as a matter of fact they encourage it from what I've seen last 3 tours.... just saying :)    

Tool also does not allow phones or recording.  Security would let you smoke weed....but no way was a phone allowed.  They were all over that.

And what about the geniouses that uses an iPad to record the ENTIRE show!

If I was stuck behind someone doing that, I'd probably knock it out of their hands!

And what about the geniouses that uses an iPad to record the ENTIRE show!

If I was stuck behind someone doing that, I'd probably knock it out of their hands!

I have thought about it, but doing that would probably start a fight an get me kick out from the concert. It´s a dilema  <_<

^ this!! I was thinking the same thing. I said to my mum 'effing Bono is in her face singing too her and instead of looking at him she's looking at the stupid phone!'  :wacko: it's one of the dumbest things I've seen on the internet recently!

my phone is a 2008 Nokia, no chance of me holding it in the air. as much as I like seeing some footage from the tour, I don't want to be stuck

behind someone who has their iphone up in the air half the night  :angry: I'd be smacking the thing out of their hand.

Edited by BigBunny

At concerts, yes, absolutely. In ordinary day to day life, I believe it has replaced the cigarette as a coping mechanism for many when they are alone and out and about. Look, I'm not saying that there is never a good reason to check an email or make or receive a call, but it seems to be a defense mechanism. 

And yes they are super annoying at concerts. I am a pretty decent amateur photographer. I could take some stellar shots of the band but I am glad they ban me from taking a camera with a decent lens. Because I really want to simply enjoy the experience. The camera has a tendency to get between the photographer and the experience. And there is certainly no shortage of photographs of the event that others will take. 

I'm going to see Prince tonight, cameras and cell phone photography or video are strictly prohibited.   I'm very happy about this as I agree with the Original Poster, but it's become such a norm at concerts, tonight should be interesting seeing how they enforce it, may be even more disrupting! !  

Edited by lilymappin

I'm thinking maybe a water pistol would be handy to squirt offenders in front of me? :)

Very good jeffwalsh :)

The odd picture for me, but I simply want to watch the gig.

Fully appreciate that many of the clips we watch are provided by the very people that could possibly annoy me at a gig...but I don't do GA anymore...in seating not as big a problem.

As long as those around me don't mind a bit of out o tune singing, air punching, standing and the odd loss of balance when that tune, or this tune comes on and you still think you ARE in a GA area! :lol:

I'm thinking maybe a water pistol would be handy to squirt offenders in front of me? :)

Great idea with the water pistol  i am sure someone posted the other day about bono being infuriated by it during one particular gig.It seems to happen at all gigs now personally think they are half wits 

The upside is if you're not the person with the cell phone, you get to have the genuine moments with the band. One time, I was front row at a Sting show, and as he was leaving the stage, EVERY person in the front row was recording him as he left. I was the ONLY hand sticking up for him to shake. So, he stopped, gave me a good gentleman's handshake while he bowed to the crowd, then nodded at me, released my hand, and left the stage. And all these people were like, wow, he shook your hand! And I was thinking, yeah, and lucky you, you got video of it!

I'm going to see Prince tonight, cameras and cell phone photography or video are strictly prohibited.   I'm very happy about this as I agree with the Original Poster, but it's become such a norm at concerts, tonight should be interesting seeing how they enforce it, may be even more disrupting! !  

Hey Lily, 1st time at a Prince show?? You're in for a real treat.... did he do that last minute onsale thing?? Small club?? I saw him in 2012 at a small club in MTL, 3hr show, totally awesome!!

Sorry U2 forum, I know it's not U2 stuff I just wrote, but hey, it is what it is loll  :D

Hey Lily, 1st time at a Prince show?? You're in for a real treat.... did he do that last minute onsale thing?? Small club?? I saw him in 2012 at a small club in MTL, 3hr show, totally awesome!!

Sorry U2 forum, I know it's not U2 stuff I just wrote, but hey, it is what it is loll  :D

Third time for me, but first time in a small venue to a 'surprise' show (tickets only went on sale yesterday, show tonight :D )   Thanks!  

Sign in to follow this