Sign in to follow this  
Mark Schuler

My Red Zone Experience (San Jose)

First and foremost, I have been a fan since 1981, when I first heard Boy. My friend, still a friend to this day, described it as a mixture of Yes and Rush, both woefully inaccurate, but it got me to listen. My first show, at 19, was the Joshua Tree tour at the Cow Palace outside of San Francisco. I have purchased every album on release day and attended every tour. 

I can say two things about the Red Zone:

First:

I went Monday and had great seats, not Red Zone, but as good as it gets. The show is amazing, they are immaculate performers. I had seats dead center, just a few rows up and loved it. I saw the screen perfectly and loved every minute of it. My 12 year old daughter loved the show as well. Couldn't get better right? Wrong, Red Zone. I have attended more than 100 shows and I am just now realizing the best thing that you pay for with an expensive ticket is not just the view or the ease of restrooms and concessions, but the like minded people all around you. THAT is what makes a show great. Unless you are at the barrier, your impression of a show, like it or not, is influenced by your surrounding, by the PEOPLE sitting near you. Any moron texting, sitting or not singing or dancing is a problem. When they not only do that, but then choose to ridicule you for your behavior....I don't know what to say or how to react.F#@K them. Being among fans, singing, dancing, just generally freaking out, loving and ingesting EVERY second of a show, is why I know that live performance for me is my favorite way to appreciate music. The Red Zone provided that experience for me. They are ALL 100% dedicated fans and it was a joy to attend a show with them....that and we were on the barrier

Second:

Seeing a band like U2, it is easy to forget that they are musicians. Their shows are so theatrical, that you forget it is a musical performance. The Red Zone, for me, reminded me of that. My brother, a marginal fan, who attended the show with me, will NEVER miss another U2 show. They are incredibly gifted musicians, all among the best to ever perform live music. I am a Metal guy at heart and I will easily rank this show with any of the Van Halen, Aristocrats or Rush shows I have attended. They nailed it. Every song did not sound perfect because of over dubs, prerecorded pieces or some other trick, it was a four piece rock band, killing it. Electric Co., Bad, One....all such nuanced, brilliant songs. Take a moment this tour to appreciate them as musicians, not just for the songs they wrote, which are legendary, but for their musicianship. They are amazing. Songs like Cedarwood Road, Song for Someone and Every Breaking Wave are EASILY worthy of replacing ANY song they skipped from their catalog. Don't miss this tour.

Oh, by the way, a 16 year old kid who attended the show with his Mom, was handed the set list over my shoulder because he sang louder than me on EVERY song, danced more than me on EVERY song and honestly deserved to be handed this treasure by the tour managers. He was 6 foot 3 and still agreed to stand behind me and I hate him for "taking MY prize", but he earned it. I was in the BEST spot at the barrier and could still see the screen (which is VERY important this tour)

This happened to me in the Red Zone on the fourth night of this tour.

The Red Zone is probably sold out this tour, so I may be preaching to the choir, but this want-to-be musician is now scheming a way to attend an LA show in any capacity.

Attached are pictures of my view. Obviously, blue are the seats and red is the Red Zone.

Mark Schuler

markjschuler@gmail.com    where you there? thoughts? I was the guy with the "Boys Play Rock n Roll" Vertigo shirt on. 

post-367657-0-99796300-1432192039_thumb.jpg

post-367657-0-60187800-1432193082_thumb.jpg

Wow, thank you for sharing your experience! That is what it's all about, and now it's even harder to wait until November 10th & 11th...

Thanks so much for sharing!  You are right about who you are surrounded by.  I saw U2 a couple of times in nosebleed seats and it was just too depressing to be surrounded by drunks who didn't care about the show at all and I'm not doing that again.   I have some good seats for Boston, and one night of Red Zone, and am so excited. (Though not giving up hope for a GA drop to have at least one GA experience.)

For San Jose (and probably most venues), the Red Zone was accessed by going through GA. Some Red Zone ticket holders chose to start in GA, but came back into the Red Zone. Having a view of the screen is an important part of this tour and the way the Red Zone is sectioned off allowed the best of both worlds. The Red Zone is much more spacious.

Thanks for sharing Mark! I'm sooooo excited for RZ now. I've been going to shows since the Vertigo tour, and this is the first time that I've been able to get standing tix (RZ for LA1 then GA for the rest of the LA shows). I love U2 fans across the board but I'm looking forward to experiencing the energy of the floor. I hear it's quite different from the seats and I can't wait!  :D

Mark what an uplifting positive review!! Like you I've been a fan for over 30 years and seen them several times over the years. I love GA but this time as a treat I thought I would try for RZ and luckily managed to bag Saturday night in Glasgow ! After reading lots of Negatives about RZ I was beginning to think I'd wasted my money but your review has re-affirmed my decision and now (albeit a long time off )- I cannot wait for Nov 7th !! Thanks

Mark, thanks so much for the great review. I was really beginning to worry. I have RZ for mSg in July-my 4oth bday gift to myself and like you, I've been a fan for 30 years. I was wondering, about how many people would you guess were on each side in rz? On ticketmaster it originally stated that it's 50 people per Side. Did you line up very early? Thanks so much!

I did line up starting at 3pm and I was one of the first 6 people. Half of the people were Red Zone 1 and half were Red Zone 2. My brother and I were the second pair into Red Zone 1 (which was Adam's side for San Jose and Vancouver). There were 50, that sounds right. I know a few went straight to the general admission area initially. Everyone was very cool. saving places, etc. I am scheming just to see the tour one last time....I am going Sunday, May 31st to LA. Wish me luck a single ticket.

Mark

Thanks for the info, Mark. I've managed to be up front on 2 occasions and  I've always been on Adam's side. I have RZ 2 and I'm really looking forward to being on Edge's side this time around. Did you venture out into GA at any point? If so, how did it go? And good luck getting that ticket!

Glad Mark to see your experience was so good ,wish I could say the same .

It all started with the confusion from the moment we lined up(1st show Van)

They were confused in regards to R1 and R2 and had the lineup's wrong

I thought the red zone would be the best bet for a close proximity to the stage ,wow was I ever wrong

Not sure how they thought this up but GA would have been a far better choice ,very few spots in Red zone to get up close

There is no way GA should have better positioning than Red zone ,not based on those absurd ticket prices

I am not the super fan of this band as it seem's most of you are ,but I had a chance to talk to a few people who did share the same opinion

I think this band has forgotten what it is all about and have become so big that they do what all mega bands do and charge insane prices

There was no thought process here on the Red zone setup and I advise anyone sitting there in the future to get there early and make sure u get into the right line for your area  and get to a spot asap.

Never thought I would see this at a U2 concert but there were a few fights in GA zone ,which required security for a moment I thought I was at a Rage in the Machine show

Bot I will give credit where credit was due ,it was a solid performance without a doubt

Thanks for letting me vent here

Al Shah

Bossy22,

I hate that you did not get close, that it was not a great experience. So much goes into each person attending a show having a good time. My 12 year old daughter couldn't get over the "lame" fans when I sat with her in the seats on Monday(they were making fun of ME dancing like an idiot when they chose to look up from their phones). At the same time, I was having an awesome time. My co-worker who attended the show Tuesday and sat upstairs in the rafters could not hear Bono. My point is this for everyone who goes to a show: focus on having the best time you can. Ignore all of the BS and enjoy.

I am sure if you ask the band about the Red Zone, they would say it should be the best concert experience we can provide. To say the band " has forgotten what it is all about" is not accurate. That the bands charge what the tickets now cost in the aftermarket (StubHub, etc.) no longer pisses me off. Better the bands make the money than ticket brokers or non fans making money off the shows. (truth be known, I   I spend my money where I want and get great seats (or GA). This year Rush and U2 got silly money from me, but Aerosmith, Van Halen and the Who did not. I will be at every show, having a great time.

Hi - I have RZ tix for July 2 in Chicago. I just want to make sure I get in the line early enough to get as close as possible - I am in Zone 2. It is first come first served right? This is my first time in RZ and I'm beyond excited!

Hey folks,

I'm new but just came off of 3 nights of GA in Chicago and was GA in the second night of San Jose, great seats in 100s for the first night. I just bought my first Red Zone ticket ever for MSG. First off, GA is AMAZING. Even if you don't cue up you'll have a great view. I loved to hang back a bit from the B Stage where you can dance etc. You can also move in and out of the red zone whenever you want down to the B stage or wherever. While I had a great time in GA, RZ totally worth it in my opinion...after the first couple of songs if you wander away from the rails you'll never get your spot back (still cool though). With RZ you can actually get back close to the main stage 

This show is OFF THE CHAIN and I can not WAIT for  MSG. This was my view from GA night #3 Chicago. I got there around 615.

post-685780-0-94776100-1435701492_thumb.jpg

I did RZ for a 3 shows in Australia on 360 and for first two i&e shows in Vancouver.

You're completely on the money: it was the people around me who made the experience so fantastic. When started our own RZ queue outside the venue early in the day on the first day of the tour (although completely unnecessary) because many of us were caught up in the excitement of the GA line. And we had a fantastic time without the stress of the GA line, or having to sleep overnight!

The only downside of being in RZ on this tour means you're not right up front at the 'e' stage where a lot of the full on engagement with fans happens. Still, the absolute excitement of being in front of the main stage when the band burst into the Miracle of Joey Ramone for the first time was  priceless. And when I ventured out into the arena in Vancouver all I saw were people taking selfies and and not fully engaged - while the band were right in front of them!! Ugh

I'm so glad I spent the money on RZ because I know I need to be on the floor. And it was totally worth the time, money and anxiety of flying from Australia to Canada. Best holiday ever ;-)

Sign in to follow this