Sign in to follow this  
abluerwhite

GA rules from United Center

I asked about the venue's policy for GA line so we could get as much clarification as possible since each venue has different rules and to prevent multiple lines from forming...this is what I got as a reply from United Center:

"Guests can start lining up on the morning of their particular show. We're not giving an exact time as everyone will show up at different times.

You'll line up outside of Gate 5 by the Michael Jordan statue. Please keep in mind there will be no bathroom or food options while waiting in line.

There is no overnight camping for GA guests.

Hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions."

I am waiting to hear back if someone working at the venue will be in charge/lining people up and giving them wrist bands or if it will be a self-monitored situation but once I have more information I will post it. If anyone has other questions let me know so I can send them to the person I am in correspondence with!

No bathroom and food options??? Is the venue in the middle of nowhere?

I won't be in Chicago, just curious

I asked about the venue's policy for GA line so we could get as much clarification as possible since each venue has different rules and to prevent multiple lines from forming...this is what I got as a reply from United Center:

"Guests can start lining up on the morning of their particular show. We're not giving an exact time as everyone will show up at different times.

You'll line up outside of Gate 5 by the Michael Jordan statue. Please keep in mind there will be no bathroom or food options while waiting in line.

I am waiting to hear back if someone working at the venue will be in charge/lining people up and giving them wrist bands or if it will be a self-monitored situation but once I have more information I will post it. If anyone has other questions let me know so I can send them to the person I am in correspondence with!

The United Center has never had much of anything to do w/the GA line, unfortunately (e.g., on the Vertigo or Elevation tours).  So, unless we hear differently, we'll be on our own.  That said, I definitely remember from Vertigo/Elevation that they had porta-potties up and working near the GA line for prior tours.

I think the lack of food/restrooms is to discourage people from lining up super early. They have confirmed they are not doing wrist bands or any venue monitored line so yep we will be on our own 

I hope this GA goes smoothly as my experience during 360 tour.   I got in line early but my friend could not do to work.   Those around me were very grateful in allowing her to join me in line later that day.     I hope that will be the case this time.   Come on good Karma

last time at the United Center they did have a couple of portables outside....including a handicapped one which was about the size of a bedroom....as for food lots of people got delivery.

The great thing about this tour is the whole stage setup.  You don't have to line up super early at all because the GA area is huge on both sides of the stages and connecting walkway.  It's not like any other concert where the stage is at one end of the arena so you line up early to try to get near the stage.  No matter where you are on the floor with this one, you have a good spot.  In fact, being too close to the stages and walkway will hinder your view of their massive screen, same with if your seats are at either end of the arenas.

Thanks for looking into that abluerwhite. I find it hard to believe that they would not have bathrooms on the outside. Maybe they will change their minds after the first concert or two.

The GA line is going to be very similar to Elevation and Vertigo. 

GA ticket holders will enter through Gate 5, which is at the Southeast corner of the arena right around the corner from the Micheal Jordan statue. 

The no camping-out thing refers to camping on UC property.  

As has happened 12 other times when U2 has done GA at the UC the line will form on Honroe street and the camping takes place on a public sidewalk and parkway.  Typically the UC notifies CPD about the line and requests a special attention during the overnight hours. 

In the past we were able to communicate with the UC management and have them keep a fence gate open overnight which provided access to the port-a-johns. 

Depending on the day, crowd, and weather the UC might have vendors selling hot dogs and water outside. May 15, 2001 it was so hot they were handing out free water to the line.  

The neighborhood has definetely gentrified in the 10 years since U2 last played there but it can still be a bit sketchy for people not familiar with an urban environment. That being said, it'll be fine. 

Parking is free and available on Honroe up until like 3 or 4 pm the day of a show. This means you can park your car 20 feet from your spot in line. Then, when the lots open, just move your car in there which is on the other side of the fence. Make sure you move your car or you will be ticketed and towed as that is where the coppers working the event usually park. 

Go to google maps and put in 101 S Honroe. Pull up the street view. You'll be able to see Gate 5, the sidewalk, the street, the parking lot, even the gate that they keep open for access to the bathrooms.

There's a lot of people interested in meeting the band when they come in.  They will come in the loading dock which is on the west end of the arena just south of Madison on Damen. If you wanted to see that, go to google maps and search for 21 S Damen.

-Tim

Thanks for all the info!! Especially all the specifics Tim.  This is our first concert at United Center and my first U2 concert!!! Been waiting a long time and am super excited…..even though I am going to be 7 mths pregnant and have GA tickets!  Yikes!!! Obviously got our tickets before the positive sign.  LOL

Tim-

You are the MAN!!! Great info!!! The one other thing that I would say to all the U2 fans out there is to stay East of Damen!!! Once you start heading West towards Westrn Ave. it could become Chiraq!!!! East towards the city is fine.

Good luck everyone!

Uncle Pete

Thanks for all the UC info Tim!  I can't wait for another fun GA experience.  I will be in the line on 6/24 and 6/28. I live just a couple of blocks from the UC, so if they don't put out potties I may be able to allow some line friends into my condo to use the bathroom and/or fill water bottles.  As for what UnclePete wrote about west of Damen being Chiraq, I live at Leavitt, which is west of Damen and NOT Chiraq.  This person must not have much knowledge of the area.  It's definitely a diverse urban environment, but let's not get carried away and scare people. Everyone be safe and look out for each other.  We are all part of the U2 community after all.

I personally don't see the need to camp out overnight with the stage layout, but to each their own. It is supposed to rain Wednesday with scattered thunderstorms however for everyone planning on getting there the night before/early the day of. And it's also supposed to rain in the morning on Thursday for those going to the second show.

Does anyone know if RZ ticket holders are allowed to line up along the rails in GA outside of their designated RZ areas?  They enter before GA, so do they claim all the prime spots on the floor?

Update from United Center web site:

GENERAL ADMISSION:

• Overnight camping and tailgating are not permitted.
  • On the day of their show, guests can start lining up at 6 a.m. outside of Gate 5 (Honore St.).

*Due to construction, please access the General Admission line via Wood St. or Adams St.

• Starting at 6 a.m., parking will be open in Lot K (on Adams Street) for $29. Cash only.

*Once parked in Lot K, no in- and -out privileges are available. If you leave the parking lot, you will have have to pay for parking upon returning.

• No wristbands will be handed out for those waiting in line. It is up to the guests to keep their position while waiting.

*Saving spots for late arriving guests is strictly prohibited.

• Food and beverage will not be available.
  • For your convenience, portable toilets will be available on site.

VENUE DETAILS:

• For June 24 & 25 shows, visit the Box Office on the North and South side of the building after 12 p.m. for ticketing inquiries.

For all other shows, visit the Box Office at Gate 4 after 12 p.m.

• Doors open at 6 p.m.
  • Small digital cameras are permitted.

*No professional cameras, professional recording devices or video. Policy is subject to change.

• No outside food or beverage is allowed inside the arena.
  • No chairs, coolers, tents, etc. will be permitted inside.

Who's going on Monday, the 29th for GA? I was planning on being there at 5am. You think they will tell me to move and come back? Last time, I was asked to come back, I became the 30th person in line, vs. the first. Not that it was a big deal, I just have no idea how ealry I should show up for a Monday show in Chicago!

Who's going on Monday, the 29th for GA? I was planning on being there at 5am. You think they will tell me to move and come back? Last time, I was asked to come back, I became the 30th person in line, vs. the first. Not that it was a big deal, I just have no idea how ealry I should show up for a Monday show in Chicago!

HA! Forget about this question. People were lined up for 2 days before the opening show camping out!

Can anyone say whether they have allowed someone to swipe their credit card at the entrance and hand the slips over to others?   Found someone who wants to sell me their GA tickets for the 7/2 Chicago show but he won't be going in himself. 

Yes... as long as they go in with you and pay with the credit card that they put the tickets on with when the they ordered them.  They will run the card....tickets get printed automatically and you get the print out tickets and go to the show....they can walk out... very easy process. 

Sign in to follow this