Sign in to follow this  
celticbhoy67

Setlist Mix-up / For The Love Of God Change Up (MERGED)

Anyone else kind of disappointed with the rotation between the setlists so far for the tour. With all the talk before the tour of how different the two nights will be, it appears that there is not much alternation so far in songs!

I think a lot of us are, although perhaps not surprised as some of their more recent comments in the run up to the tour indicated they were moving away from that idea. But having bought tix for a second night partly other basis of those comments it is frustrating.

What is even more frustrating is that the sad events that have occurred since the tour started have shown that they are able to reach into the back catalogue and bring out songs they've not played for years. So why not do that more often and mix it up for the fans? Surely they realise a large proportion of the people coming out to see them have been following them for years and have seen many of the old favourites multiple times.

Rather disappointed myself with this to be honest. Was hoping for perhaps a greater variation in the setlist especially after spending almost $650 for two tickets given all the speculation beforehand of how different the two nights would. I'm sure it will still be a great concert, but I feel it could be mixed up a great deal more then what we currently are seeing. 

I think a lot of us are, although perhaps not surprised as some of their more recent comments in the run up to the tour indicated they were moving away from that idea. But having bought tix for a second night partly other basis of those comments it is frustrating.

What is even more frustrating is that the sad events that have occurred since the tour started have shown that they are able to reach into the back catalogue and bring out songs they've not played for years. So why not do that more often and mix it up for the fans? Surely they realise a large proportion of the people coming out to see them have been following them for years and have seen many of the old favourites multiple times.

this!  my dream is to hear some of the "deep tracks" every time i go to a concert...those are what i am longing for....i got to hear Bad live and was so overjoyed and i got to hear UF which i never thought i would hear live...so they are highlights for me in my life long love affair with the music and expression of U2

Anyone else kind of disappointed with the rotation between the setlists so far for the tour. With all the talk before the tour of how different the two nights will be, it appears that there is not much alternation so far in songs!

Very..except I got to go to Phoenix which had a 4 song change between nights...

What I really find annoying so far is the length of some of their setlists. Some shows seem to have them playing 23 songs, while others they will play 25.

Edited by Kevinslatteryu2

This has been an ongoing topic since opening night.  I've had the patience of a flea and have come to the realization that they'll continue to be safe and appease  the masses.  I also realize its early innings of this massive Tour...this thing has soooo far to go that maybe next year, when and if a new album is included, they'll change it up even more..If I can believe setlist.com...tonight's tunes show a llil more promise....Lucky bunch @ the Roxy to hear em kick it off w The Ocean and my fave 11;oclock Tick Tock....Wow, 1981 all over....Nice job

This has been an ongoing topic since opening night.

Of which tour? ;-)

Edited by jeffwalsh

Phoenix 1 had 25 songs played only because they brought up that guy to ad-lib 'In God's Country'.  The printed list showed 24.

7 songs from night 1 weren't on the night 2 list.

Phoenix 2 had 23 songs played, 5 of which weren't played on night 1.

I would like to see them drop Pride from the set list and replace it with something else.

This has been an ongoing topic since opening night.

Of which tour? ;-)

Ha!..seriously, I know

I would like to see them drop Pride from the set list and replace it with something else.

Amen, Still haven't found and One as well.  Sometimes I think I feel stronger about what I DON'T wanna hear anymore than what I'd pick out.

It's always been an issue amongst long standing fans who have seen many shows, but I think it's fair enough to be raising it again when this time there were clear comments when tix went on sale that there would be significant differences between pairs of shows and people have spent money on tickets for more than one show on that basis. I admit for the last few tours I've done multiple shows but I wouldn't have gone for two successive nights if I'd thought they were going to be 75% unchanged from night to night.

All they need to do is spread the big hits across two nights rather than one, which will still mean plenty of familiar stuff for anyone attending just one night, and throw in a few more rarities from the back catalogue.

If we all remember, not only did they clearly say there would be different songs/feelings/etc night to night when they put tix up for sale/announced the tour, but just a few days before the tour actually began (they admitted they were dropping the ''2 different nights'' thing), they then said, instead, that at least there would be a different 2nd half of shows from night to night, it was clear in the NY Times interview. That has not happened either in my mind..... So, yeah, it does 'kinda suck....

How many times do we have to hear Sunday Bloody Sunday, I Will Follow, Vertigo, Pride and With or Without You ? All the diehard fans that have seen you play liveover 100 times would really love for you guys to change the setlist up each night. Boy Falls From The Sky ? Mercy ? Kite ? So Cruel. All I Want Is You NO TO ANGEL OF HARLEM, WHEN LOVE COMES TO TOWN. Play some older stuff or stuff that has never been played live before ACROBAT.

Edited by kitemaster

Good luck with this.

On any given night the "diehards" are maybe 5-10% of the crowd. The remainder are seeing U2 for the first time or maybe the first time in a long time or maybe even the 20th time over 30 years. In any case they will NEVER stop playing the warhorses.

Its like asking Springsteen to stop playing Born To Run. Or Pearl Jam to stop playing Alive. Or the Rolling Stones to stop playing Satisfaction. Or the Who to stop play Won't Get Fooled Again.

None of these bands play for the pleasure of their "diehard" fans. They play for the pleasure of ALL their fans.

A set list of all b sides/songs not known by the crowd? equals no energy, awkward and no fun. people are there for entertainment, fun and a show. singing along is part of a concert experience. not knowing the songs cause disconnect.

just enjoy it for what it is. most bands do not tour for 40+ years with original members or can play and sing as well as U2 can.

Bono's vocals in Phoenix were mesmerizing... I couldn't believe my ears.

Edited by Chadd Bryant

The issue you're having is that you want a concert, and U2 puts on a show.

Bands that do concerts have a static stage, few visual effects, and just normal concert lights, so that they have a lot of flexibility to do whatever they want and switch it up daily. Pearl Jam would be a good example of this, especially when they do multiple dates in one town, they make an effort to dramatically alter the setlists. A few years back, they even did a series of shows where they played their entire catalog, forcing them to play nearly an hour on one night before their opening act just to fit them all in.

U2 puts on a show. There is a theme (innocence and experience), a stage that mirrors this iconography, a narrative that the first half represents innocence starting with Bono singing along to the Ramones in his bedroom under a plain white light, walking down the street he grew up on, and these songs have a specific order, and then after the intermission, the narrative shifts to experience. There are different visual effects, lighting cues, and stage effects mapped out for each song. Confetti drops on this song, and even the confetti itself has text that links to the narrative. Light bars are raised throughout the stage on this song. And on and on...

So, the idea that they would meticulously craft this experience to specifically raise what they feel (and many other feel) is the level of attention to what it means to put on a compelling live show that raises the bar for others to aim for, and at some point are going to think, "You know... forget all that. Tonight we're going to just play songs the majority of people in the venue aren't familiar with, don't reinforce the theme of the tour or the experience we put together as well as the ones we have selected, and just wing it?" What tour have they ever done that on?!

They do bring out random songs here and there, and will continue to do so. But I can't recall a modern U2 tour where they haven't done what you seem to not like.

And, I have to say... I remember U2 tours because of it. A tour setlist becomes a form of nostalgia at a later date. I can't even hear Arcade Fire "Wake Up" without wondering when Bono's voice is going to start joining it, as their walk-on music...

I love Pearl Jam, too, but their tours don't stand out as much for that reason, as every time around it is just a random bunch of songs. I've been to great shows of theirs, bought the bootlegs, and listen to them. But it's not the same as the craftsmanship that U2 brings to the mix.

A lot of the ones that end up acoustic a lot are also picked because they are easy for the audience to sing along to (AN--GEEEEELLL!), so again... it is geared toward crowd unification, not catalog exploration.

So, why would anyone be surprised by something the band has been doing consistently from the Zoo TV tour until now?! 

Why? Because this time when they announced the shows they specifically said that nights 1 and 2 of the pairs of shows would be different and many people will have bought tickets for the second night so that they got the full I + E experience.

At the time there was all sorts of speculation - would this mean the two nights drew on songs from different albums, would one be a full on rock show with the other more acoustically based?

I know they pulled back from this position to some degree but knowing that people will have spent hundreds of pounds/euros/dollars on extra tickets based on what they were saying when they went on sale I do think that they should have done more to create two alternating set lists, even if this pair of sets then remained pretty much constant from city to city.

With or without you cannot be dropped just like streets they work so well live and  are high points absolute amazing live.  low points have been mainly the recent songs of which loads have been played on the last 2 tours.Surely to the majority of people  would prefer their best songs as most people havent been to dozens of shows.As said those wanting the most changes are in the minority as most people only go to 1  show per tour.This is something the band realized on 360 and dropped a few new songs eventually and i suspect 1or 2 will faze out on this tour just wish they had dropped boots at wembley as it was shocking.They are not daft they know what works and lights the place up

I'm not seeing U2 this year, hopefully next year sometime?

I don't know why #U2Request was done? the top 2 songs 'Acrobat' & 'A Sort Of Homecoming'.

yet neither songs have been played yet or even a snippet. when I went to a Springsteen concert he was grabbing

poster's from the crowd with song titles on them  :huh: I was like 'dang he must have a good band', 'Streets of fire' was

a song that was played because he showed the poster to the E Street band.

no offence, but musically U2 aren't good enough to wing it. MetallicA last year had a Request tour, you could even vote

during the show. they would play whatever was in the top 18. sadly some people vote for 'Enter Sandman' or 'Sad But True'

like they haven't been played live enough already :wacko:  

Not everyone is a diehard fan, and not everyone has been to see U2 100+ times. Is it possible to look beyond your own personal self?

Seeing JAMES live has made me expect a lot more from live setlists. They are so dynamic, even at festivals.

U2 have not ONCE done Volcano on this tour yet. Jools Holland is the only time. That should have debuted in Vancouver with This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now, Sleep Like A Baby Tonight, Crystal Ballroom, Lucifer's Hands and Ordinary Love. All the Songs of Innocence songs should have all debuted at Opening night at least once.

I wanted to hear those songs live in person at least once.

iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE tour is supposed to be about the new songs, not a greatest hits show.

This tour was a bit of a letdown compared to the Elevation and 360 tours. I hope 2016 improves. U2 are blowing it at the moment with these multi-night shows. Wasted opportunities.

Edited by Sigma957

U2 have not ONCE done Volcano on this tour yet. Jools Holland is the only time. That should have debuted in Vancouver with This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now, Sleep Like A Baby Tonight, Crystal Ballroom, Lucifer's Hands and Ordinary Love. All the Songs of Innocence songs should have all debuted at Opening night at least once.

Personally I'm very happy if Volcano fails to appear. Not impressed with that so far, perhaps the band have gone off it too.

Curious use of the word 'should'. After all, it's all opinion and frankly they can play whatever they choose to. 

AC/DC choose to never vary their setlists at all during a tour, yet many many people seem very happy to turn up for their shows.

We all have favourites my own was ultraviolet on 360 i thought that version sounded amazing watch the video from sheffield on youtube it even comes across amazing on there.Another problem is the band sometimes get bored of playing some songs sometimes and you can tell by the plodding performances so you can understand them being dropped

Sign in to follow this