Sign in to follow this  
gmgwt

The very essence of Innocence + Experience

My wife and I are long time U2 fans. We went to see U2 at Slane Castle in 2001 which was an awesome experience.

Saw them in London as well right before that show.

We bought tickets to both the Innocence + Experience shows in San Jose (thanks to the pre-sale).

The first night I went with my wife but the second night we decided to expose innocence to experience in the form of our 10 year old boy.

His first rock concert ever and he was deeply impressed.

The next day he was humming all the songs and learning their names.

But he didn't stop there.  He has taken to playing my ukulele lately (he plays piano already).

He looked up The Miracle (of Joey Ramone) ukulele chords and proceeded to play it every day.

Then his school had auditions for a talent show and he signed up. He made the cut and just today the show happened.

As he stood up there on stage playing and sining the song with no microphone to a packed room I couldn't help thinking how much it exemplifies Innocence and Experience.

An innocent 10 year old boy experiences the music of U2 live in concert and is inspired enough to make his own experience from it.

He brought the house down with this rendition.  All the teachers were amazed at how he drew everyone into the performance.

And with no microphone.  Yes I am a proud Dad!  Here's the video of the performance:

Hey you've every right to be a proud Dad - what a great video and, as you say, a real essence of the Innocence & Experience concept. What a cool dude by the way - loving the shades! 

On a side note, what a shame that the pre-sale restricts families from seeing the show together - we did the same with my son on the 360 tour, he was 12. 

Nice! Great age to start him on his "musical journey". :D

(Don't mean to be a downer, but I'd disable comments on the video)

Edited by Grande 3:16

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story :).

I second that. Love it!

Well done to your son, he did a great job!

As a Dad at the beginning with the chatter were you not tempted to jump up turn around and shout "SHUT THE F*#K UP!"  :angry:  As you say he drew them in with his performance though and done brilliantly.

Thanks for sharing this!  What a great performance - you must be proud!

This truly was the essence of iNNOCENCE and eXPERIENCE !

Thanks so much for your great comments.

It actually didn't dawn on me about the whole Innocence + Experience aspect of this very performance until after it was over.

He is still very much an inncocent little 10 year old boy who sees nothing but good and joy in the world and we try and preserve that.

We know that soon enough that will change for him.

As he starts on his journey of Experiences we felt that U2 would be a very positive uplifting experience for these innocent eyes and ears and we were right.

He really has taken to their new songs.

This makes me think back to U2's first album BOY and the song Into The Heart.

U2 had that theme of innocence from the very beginning.

Edited by gmgwt

That's so great to see. I hope someone sends Bono a link to the video - he'd be thrilled!

Go, James! What a great kid; you're justified in being proud! B):D

It would be very cool if the band could see the video too.

That's fantastic!

Love the innocence/experience theme :-) My 10-year old daughter is coming with me to the O2 London for her first U2 experience (after her innocence led her to choosing a One Direction gig for her first ever gig last year!) - the night after I go with my wife, and she's just started guitar lessons so this really resonated with me! Thanks for sharing :-)

Brilliant story - my problem is that my kids 'get' U2, but don't really like U2. They know them as 'dads band' - but I know they know they are good - cause I've heard the odd track coming from their rooms on occasion. :)

My eldest daughter(20) has elected to 'babysit' the other two (15 +12) this summer in NYC - but will they heck - my lot are an adventurous bunch, they'll be in the queue with us until such times as they can't go any further with mum n dad.

There was a family debate a few months back - I wanted to purchase 5 tickets, but they didn't want to go. So there ye have it....our hotel is right across the street from MSG. So I'm cool with that too - got sensible kids and more sensible big kid - luckily. 

Great clip of your kid though - I picked up a guitar aged about 13 like many (influenced by a younger U2) , still play it today aged 46. Nice one.

Edited by yardie

Brilliant story - my problem is that my kids 'get' U2, but don't really like U2. They know them as 'dads band' - but I know they know they are good - cause I've heard the odd track coming from their rooms on occasion. :)

Haha That's exactly how my kids are, occasionally hear the odd U2 song playing on their I pads etc, but on the whole they do their own thing, knowing U2 as Mum and Dads band....that band that's on the walls. The only band that Dad will listen too. I would love the chance to take them both at 16 and 18 to a concert and see close up and live what real music is about instead of the K pop poop my daughter listens too.  :(  

Gmgwt - That's really cool and thanks for sharing!  If this forum had a "like" button, I'd be pressing it on this!

Thank You for your kind encouraging comments about my boy's first ever performance.

Just this morning I heard him starting to learn Cedarwood Road!

I have a feeling that U2 concert was very important to him and is already having an influence on his musical direction.

I'm a musician myself but I choose to stay very hands off and let him do his thing.

It's 100% his own initiative and it is an amazing thing to experience.

innocence + experience, it's all coming together through him.

Edited by gmgwt

It's so great that his first concert was to see U2 and that it inspired him so much!  I really enjoyed his performance!

Edited by Julie419

For me the "essence" is "U2 18 singles" the tour.

Not the exciting band I knew on tours past.

firstly I have to say, he's very good with chords  B) I just wish he had a microphone because the audience drown out your

sons vocals  :mellow: I just wish they'd shoooosh esp. the first minute or so. he did really well, now get him an Ibanez electric guitar

and get him hooked on Satch (Joe Satriani)  B)

Sign in to follow this