Sign in to follow this  
She-rry

Alice in Wonderland confetti

There may be an obvious answer but it is not something I'm aware of so at the risk of my naivete here it goes . . . what is the significance of the Alice in Wonderland confetti at the ie concert? I'm not even sure what song was playing if that plays a part, I was in such a state of concert bliss that details are few.

I got one!

ow..lovely..lucky you...poor Alice, looks like she lost her head..! thanks for posting. 

Nice! Yes, thanks for posting. There are many many things to say about what's going on in this show and what you can "read" into it, though without band input (and I've been avoiding putting these kinds of questions in the interview thread) you can't be conclusory. I say that up front, and for me it really applies across anything I ever say about them - I may lean hard based on a probability I suspect, but I'm not conclusory.

Anyway, to cease avoiding your former question, you might think about how that book, Alice in Wonderland, relates to Innocence & Experience, whether Alice is a hat or role Bono is taking on in the show or through the songs, whether Alice inspired songs, why Bono is bringing these things out now & how it relates to his career overall, etc. Talk it up, most people are holding their cards (think Alice ;) ) close on this at the moment, but you'll see it all emerge soon enough...

Meant to say as well that page is from the start of Chapter II The Pool of Tears

Oh yes! And the chapter opens with Alice growing to such a tremendous size her head hits the ceiling. Just yesterday I was watching a video from the concert in LA that struck me as a probability where the song Until The End Of The World is being played. The video is not that great so I won't try to post here. Bono is projected larger than life on the video screen, I mean REALLY big and the Edge is on the extended stage in the same "frame" of the video screen jamming away little as little can be while Bono gestures toward him stretching out his hand and spitting a little stream of water on him. No kidding. Not so sure that gesture is Alice in Wonderland material (but it is a little bizarre), but the idea of Bono being huge, blown up in a mammoth size compared to the Edge's tiny and little size brought to mind the excerpt from the page. Also this is the song they played when the confetti is dropped. I didn't watch the video before posting my question. Interesting things to think about for sure.

See - I think that's great! No way of knowing if they connected those dots or if considering the book led to the visual or the technology & visual led to thinking about the book unless they tell us, but it enriches the show :)

Ah, Willie Williams in the new part of the livedesignonline.com interview gives it this spin: "There’s one which is a nod to David Bowie’s Sound and Vision tour, where tiny, live Edge plays whilst standing in King Kong-sized video Bono’s hand." I like your interpretation better though, and both can play :)

'Nother observation - they appear to have edited the text to fit a coherent bit on the page for at least some of the Alice pages.

I got one!

ow..lovely..lucky you...poor Alice, looks like she lost her head..! thanks for posting. 

Just like Alice I've lost my head as well.

Ah, Willie Williams in the new part of the livedesignonline.com interview gives it this spin: "There’s one which is a nod to David Bowie’s Sound and Vision tour, where tiny, live Edge plays whilst standing in King Kong-sized video Bono’s hand." I like your interpretation better though, and both can play :)

Exactly the scene I was describing!. . . .as Willie William said in the interview, 'Its really quite odd but entirely magical.' and the picture shown in the interview is just as I saw it, odd but magical! Also, I thought the stage design was fantastic allowing all to see (well most everyone) at one time or another on the walkway, on the screen, on the stage. For myself on the floor, it was so cool to see the band on stage and on the walkway--live! right there in the same place I was in and so close. I was so immersed in seeing the band members playing the songs I've heard many times so I didn't watch the screens so much, but did catch that one scene. A good one, too.

I'm working with Aaron from u2wanderer.org on this, and I'll have a link for you (hopefully very soon), showing the pages from Alice in Wonderland that we've been able to put together from the confetti pieces fans have shared. If anyone else has pictures of the "confetti" - please post, or if you have posted and don't think we've seen them, please direct us to them. We are crediting all sources. Even seemingly useless bits - the edge of a picture at the edge of a page -- are useful in helping us assemble complete pages. And, increasing the sample size is also useful. We will move on to cover the Dante and Psalms fragments, and potentially the books Bono is throwing, and help with those is appreciated as well. Right now, we've assembled 16 pages from Alice in Wonderland from just 47 fragments: 10 essentially complete pages, 4 pages likely just missing the edge of a picture on the edge of a page, and 2 pages needing more substantial fragments.

(I'll cross post this to the other relevant threads)

Nice article! Thanks for sharing and the link to the video is great as well. To see the confetti fall from that perspective, it was magical! I didn't have my photo of the confetti tagged, so I edited it on this site, but I'm not sure how to add it to the u2wanderer site. If it can be shared from here, feel free to use it.

One thing is certain as the article touched on is the audience participation and interaction are indeed part of the art and make the shows more than just entertainment but total immersion in the experience. Before, during, and after we are still talking about it. That's cool.

Thanks - I felt like I was on CSI putting together some of those pages <g> You get a mention in the upcoming Dante article which is a little, but not much, more complicated - tosses out a few ideas to build on or reject, but still trying to stay in the zone where people can discuss it. I think I left out a citation, but it's fairly direct stating a paraphrase of your idea above. There will be an article on the Psalms as well, with some filler from Bullet as we probably can't post pictures of pages from The Message.

As for the picture - we didn't try to share them directly, just mentioned in the sources who posted them. I think Aaron is collecting some pictures via twitter. Thanks for the offer :)

Nice job on part two of the article/essay! You really did do your research, and thanks for the mention-- it will be my 15 minutes.  ;) What an amazing perspective and experience you had in the 2005 show. Whenever I am present in these shows I have to stop from being overwhelmed by the excitement of it and try to absorb every aspect. Extra effort was given to NOT pull out my camera and snap away knowing in doing that I will be missing the here and now moments. 

Thanks. Mostly I was trying to throw some ideas out there, which is why I brought a few things in out of left field, and we'll see over time what people think. And Montreal '05 was amazing, as it has been this tour as well. What a great tour so far!

I'm working on the Part 3 article right now, though it may defy me on the research end. We're trying to find the edition of The Message that The Psalms are from, and no luck so far. I've checked ~15 versions, but there are a zillion. The page numbers are in the 800s and that's well off from the other versions I've been checking. In some ways it's not important, but it would be nice. Since it's copyrighted we'll just quote some lines to orient people to what is on the twelve pages we have, as the translation at least doesn't vary across versions. And, like including Ordinary Love with Dante, we may have some other song filler as well.

We've also been updating as people have shared more. They aren't up yet, but we have a new page of Dante, and someone (Tina B.) finally came up with the bottom of the caterpillar page from Alice. Everyone is getting credit that helps, though we probably won't fully update the sources and distributions until Part 3 is up. They'll get up eventually - real life does take precedence over the band, and I know AJ has his hands full. He's gone beyond the call of duty already.

fab.. have only touched on reading.. will keep dipping back in

I caught A Clockwork Orange at the show in Berlin ... well atleast part of it ... first 50 pages are missing as Bono ripped up the book on stage. Trying to discover which other books were ripped and "thrown to the masses" any updates?

I caught A Clockwork Orange at the show in Berlin ... well atleast part of it ... first 50 pages are missing as Bono ripped up the book on stage. Trying to discover which other books were ripped and "thrown to the masses" any updates?

In Berlin 2 I got the book "Three Poets of the First World War": Ivor Gurney, Isaac Rosenberg, Wilfred Owen, which Bono kicked off the stage. Picture: https://goo.gl/photos/vcurFpyDG4HosNgy9

Edited by Kristaps

Is the confetti all over the place or where does Bono stand when he rips the books?

ahh there was loads of this in London on Sunday but i was nowhere near where it dropped :( and i think the books went southside, still good to watch though.

Sign in to follow this