I really think the Troubles would be a killer encore ending song for the rest of the tour. Perfect ending sound. I also would love to see a different song open the second set such as the fly or something from pop such as discoteque or mofo. What do you all think?

Sounds great!  Though I wonder about a song most people in the arena don't know, being the closer.  I noticed at the 4 Boston shows that most people in the seats don't seem to know any SOI songs.  

...............Spoiler alert.........

I'm not sure Invisible as the opener of set 2 is working. With them being, well, invisible inside the screen!  Everyone thinks it's just more of intermission.  Are they meaning to do that? They must be, but it feels like too weak a re-entry into the show.  It's clever though.  

From what I've seen I could happily lose Invisible for the European leg of the tour. I'd love to have troubles included, it's a fantastic song and would be great if Lykke Li could make an appearance or two in Europe. Although it might be different live Sunday Bloody Sunday isn't working for me in it's current format. I prefer the angry, energy filled version. Liking Miracle so happy for that to stay as the opener.. Fly has been done to death so I'm happy for this just to be an intermission track, as per the new format.

markrice, I wasn't loving the new SBS format either, always loved the rocking version, but then I just saw it live for the 4 Boston shows.  I changed my mind!  I think now that for the purpose it is serving, with all they are doing with the screens and the story about the violence and bombings, and what they are doing with the song, it totally works. It was really powerful when I saw it.  

Haven't been watching youtube so i can see for myself in September. I'd be well up for Discotheque all though thats probably pushing it. I'm well happy with 40 getting played on final nights and Gloria getting an airing, can't complain about that at all. 

Would like a few changes in the first set, maybe vary SOI tracks about from night to night. The second sets look good, i would like Miracle rug to come back,,, seems like thats been pushed out. Shame WLCTT hasn't been played, hopefully MSG will get a good variety :) 

markrice, I wasn't loving the new SBS format either, always loved the rocking version, but then I just saw it live for the 4 Boston shows.  I changed my mind!  I think now that for the purpose it is serving, with all they are doing with the screens and the story about the violence and bombings, and what they are doing with the song, it totally works. It was really powerful when I saw it.  

I'll look out for it in Turin. 

I've been to 1 Montreal show in the Red Zone, on the front rail Edge's side, and the 1st/2nd MSG shows, centre ice, in the 100 level, Edge's side.  Here are my observations.  YMMV:

-The show plays best on each side of the bowl.  We loved being front row in MTL, but the overall impact is more powerful when viewed from the side.

-Sound is AWESOME.

-I really like the opening salvo.  Miracle of JR and the rotation of OOC, Electric Co. early stuff, into Vertigo, into IWF etc. really works well from a minimalistic aspect, and people are just PUMPED.

-Transition into the meat of SOI material (Iris, Cedarwood) works well.  Both of these songs play well in concert.  Cedarwood is my least favorite album track, but a wicked live tune.

-UTEOTW works really well as a first set closer.  This song has a new life on this tour.  Cool staging and visuals with the water spitting.

-Invisible falls flat. IMO, this isn't a song that works in a static fashion ala Zooropa on 360.  If they want to play this song, it needs to be on the main stage or B-stage...it doesn't have enough presence, drive or power to sustain its placement within the main screen.  Needs to be replaced with something like This is Where You Can Reach Me Now (perhaps as a metaphor for the transition to the experience part of the show) also played out from the main screen.

-EBTTRT......I love this version.  Loved it on 360 and love it even more on this tour.

-I'm burned out on Mysterious Ways.  It needs a rest.  I'd love to see it get the boot in favor of Discotheque or Last Night on Earth, something from POP. Or maybe.....Lemon?? Now that would be cool as hell.

-Having the middle slot of the 2nd act fast and loose for audibles and nuggets (i.e. Satellite, Miss Sarajevo, Stuck in a Moment, Sweetest Thing, perhaps Kite? This is a good thing, lots of potential here, and they can only make this slot more interesting by digging deeper as they go).

-I'm really enjoying Pride and WOWY.  They've revitalized these songs on this tour. We'll shine like stars is being used sparingly, keeps it real special.  That's a good thing!

-Running to Stand Still NEEDS to be added.  Get that in there, somewhere between Bullet and Streets.

Overall, I love the set, and yes....The Troubles would be damned cool to see.

Edited by zooropamofo

-I'm burned out on Mysterious Ways.  It needs a rest.  I'd love to see it get the boot in favor of Discotheque or Last Night on Earth, something from POP. Or maybe.....Lemon?? Now that would be cool as hell.

I'd agree with that. I love MW but it could probably afford to be dropped from a tour. Especially if it was replaced with Discotheque.

-Running to Stand Still NEEDS to be added.

Strongly disagree. I love the album version, but when watching concert DVD's or whatever I generally skip Running To Stand Still. I was very happy when it got dropped from the Vertigo Tour for Miss Sarajevo.

I love the 1st half of the show. It all flows fluidly. The new arrangement of SBS revived it for me. I'd love to see Tommorow shoved into the Dublin set. As far as act two, Invisible is cool but please no more MW, Elevation, Desire, AOH. It's time to bring back some of the back catalog. Discoteque and Lemon would be awesome. I can't belive I'm going to say this but Streets is completly anti climatic on this tour and it's my favorite live song. It needs a better buildup. Finally, if Bono doesn't give WOWY the respect it desreves then it's time to retire it. That song is hit or miss from night to night. The encores need some changing as well. The Troubles would be great before 40. I'd love to see A Sort Of Homecoming, Bad, The Troubles, 40 close the show. Ultraviolet opening act two would be awesome.

Edited by zootv77

I'm thinking if they want to vary up the second half even more, they could rotate EBTTRT with the dance remix of I'll Go Crazy as the song for the transition from the screen to the b-stage. I would totally eat that up!

So would I! I just love that mix.  And I, like others, would love to see something from Pop instead of MW, as much as I love MW.  

-I really like the opening salvo.  Miracle of JR and the rotation of OOC, Electric Co. early stuff, into Vertigo, into IWF etc. really works well from a minimalistic aspect, and people are just PUMPED.

-Invisible falls flat. IMO, this isn't a song that works in a static fashion ala Zooropa on 360.  If they want to play this song, it needs to be on the main stage or B-stage...it doesn't have enough presence, drive or power to sustain its placement within the main screen.  Needs to be replaced with something like This is Where You Can Reach Me Now (perhaps as a metaphor for the transition to the experience part of the show) also played out from the main screen.

For me, bearing in mind I've only been following the tour on YouTube, the opening 4 tracks has to be one of the strongest opening 4 I've seen from them in a while. Love the idea of varying up the 2nd song - thought Two Hearts (which I love) didn't get as big a reaction as Out Of Control, Gloria or Electric Co. My personal fave is Gloria but any of those will keep me happy.

I agree re Invisible. I'd replace it with something like City of Blinding Lights, maybe Unforgettable Fire, or if I was very lucky Pop Muzik running into Mofo. The Lemon shout is a great one by the way,

I really think the Troubles would be a killer encore ending song for the rest of the tour. ...

The Troubles should be in the encore set for sure.

Among the changes they made in this first leg, I absolutely love With or without you that follows Every breaking wave.

p.s. don't touch Invisible ! :-)

Sign in to follow this