Sign in to follow this  
bigwave

Info re: NYC shows start time

updated bit of info coming... nothing drastic, just a heads up...

I just received an email from U2.com:

"Got tickets to see the band in NYC? First of eight shows at Madison Square Garden is tomorrow, Saturday.  Don't forget that there's no opening act on the iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Tour.  The stage time is 8PM.  Leave yourself plenty of time to get to the venue.  You don't want the band opening the show without you..."

All of the tickets for every other city except NYC had a 7:30pm printed showtime, and the NYC tickets had an 8pm printed showtime.  (Madison Square Garden often insists upon an 8pm start even when every single show an act is doing at every single other venue in the counry is at 7:30pm.)  I think the point of the email is just to say that the band will start at 8:15ish as they have been doing, and not starting later than that just because the printed showtime is different than all other venues.  That's my take on the email, at any rate.

Edited by vertigojds

Got tickets to see the band in NYC ?

First of eight shows at Madison Square Garden is tomorrow, Saturday.

Don't forget that there's no opening act on the iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Tour.

Stage time is 8PM.

Leave yourself plenty of time to get to the venue.

You don't want the band opening the show without you...

best wishes

The U2.com Team.

Some GA details for those heading to the remaining NYC shows.

I joined the GA line for both Saturday and Sunday's shows at around 11am each day and ended up being #125/130ish.  There were fans running the line who gave us numbers and recorded names in a notebook.  The sun is at its most brutal from about 2:30pm-6:30pm when it shines down directly on the line and there's no shade to speak of.  People were cool about taking time off for shade and water breaks and then coming back to the line.

Around 5:30, the MSG staff set up a few barricades and started coming down the line to make sure we all had GA tix.

Doors opened both days around 6:45.  First up: bag check, then security wand screening, then ticket scanning, then wristbands.

On the first night, all of us were given South Side (aka Edge side) wristbands.  Even with #126, I ended up with a spot on the rail in the middle of the walkway between the I and e stages.

On the second night, things were a bit more organized with groups of 10/20 people being let in at a time and a choice of which side you wanted to be on.  Day 2, with a #130, I ended up 1 person back from the rail, right by the e stage.

Both nights, the show started around 8:30.

Hope that's helpful. 

Thanks for sharing your experience Jitterbug!  I have GA for Thursday and was curious.  Never had GA for MSG before this.

Where do you enter the floor from GA?  I went to the show last night and noticed you could enter from the normal entranceway and there was no line to get in and when I went to my seat at around 8:05 the GA was only half full.  Is there any real need to line up outside given this is the case and doors open at 7?

GA ticket holders enter from the rear of the floor once inside the building, they use the entrance on 33rd St/8th Ave to get inside.

Last night I was against the rail between the stages, closer to the e-stage spot. I got there at 2:30pm. The people standing directly behind me got there at 6pm. If you want to right against a rail, you probably have to be there early. If you don't mind not having the rail and being one or two people back, you can show up at 6 or 7 and do just fine.

I saw on entry way for General Admission holders right by the Tower D entrance (which is to the right of the ticket windows where you enter).  Is that the same entry?  The interesting thing with this show is that if you are the rail on one side or other, you will basically have a great view for half the show and a not so great view for the other half.  It would seem something in the middle of the two stages 3 or 4 rows off the catwalk part would be ideal so you can see both stages clearly and the huge projector screen.

I think they led us from the street to a different way into Tower D, so yeah I think all GA entered through there eventually.

You're absolutely right about visibility. I had front row of red zone for Sunday's show and had a great view of Edge, and could also see most of the catwalk and screen, but not the e-stage. Last night I was on the rail of the catwalk close to the e-stage, and I could barely see the main stage or the screen. There's no way to be right up close to the band and see the entire show. If you're by the main stage, you get them at the beginning and end, and if you're by the e-stage you get them for the middle. It's a little different than Elevation, Vertigo and 360 where you could really see them from wherever you wound up.

Interesting - if you end up in Tower D there's really no reason to get on the line I think unless you absolutely want to be on the rail.  When I entered via the general entrance yesterday after I passed security there was a guy scanning tickets for GA and there was no lined up by him.  Once I went to my seat there was still plenty of room on the floor and this was already past 8PM.  I was freaking out a bit because I generally work well past 6 and wasn't going to be able to wait in a line, but I think I'll get a decent spot even if I get to the arena after 7.

Yeah, you'll be absolutely fine at 7. There's so much railing that no matter what spot you pick I don't think you'll be much more than a couple people back.

Sounds good, thanks for the help.  Luckily if I screw up and have a bad spot tonight I can learn from my mistakes as I have GA tickets for next Thurs too!  There are great sight lines from a number of the traditional seated seats at this show - but I think overall GA will be more fun because of the energy of the crowd down there.

So, if you walk in just after 7PM there's no line at all, no need to lineup.  Once you go in, you can be 2-3 rows deep practically anywhere you want.  NYC tends to be a late arriving crowd so practically half the crowd shows up after 8.  I wouldn't really recommend camping out on line at all, unless your a South American girl who can dance or someone who can play guitar.  Than get their early and get over to the acoustic stage.

In general, when do the doors open to get in? My tickets are for the lower level seating. My group is planning on taking a train from Metropark (NJ) to NY Penn Station, by NJ Transit, but we want to try to miss the rush hour so we will be having lunch and then going to the station. This is for night 7, on Thursday 7/30. While that would be nice, I wonder when the doors open to get to our seats. How long might we have to wait? The MSG website said 7 PM - we might be there as early as 5 or 6, though the 7:29 arrival time sounds optimal, it would mean hanging out in Metropark for a good amount of time. Parking for Metropark, and ticket lines also need to be included. Any tips? Is anyone else taking this route or at least familiar with it? I have never used either of those train stations and am not familiar with the NYC area. 

Edited by Vertigo3333

The general admission doors have been opening around 6-6:30 depending on the night, and the main seating for the rest of the arena opens a little after that. I know the website says 7, but it might be a little earlier night to night. On the days I had GA tickets I got there very early, and on the days I've had seats I've gone in around 7:30pm. But I know they're set up in the lobby selling tshirts at least as early as 6, so you can go through security and hang out in there while you wait for the doors if you wind up there early.

Sign in to follow this