Sign in to follow this  
jaimearodriguez

RedZone for 65 year old Parents. Bad idea?

Hello All,

I'm already scheming , budgeting and planning for next year's North American leg, and need some opinion for those of you who have done Red Zone.

For my local Miami shows, I'd like to bring my parents to their second U2 show. This time, I'm debating whether to get them the expensive seat or Red Zone. I'd love for them experience the GA energy, but I'm afraid if its a bit too much for them since they are in their mid 60's.

What do you guys think? My parents are healthy. Bad idea? Good idea?

Thank you for your feedback.

Jaime

Red Zone would be less crowded and crazy than regular GA, but the thing is they would be standing the whole time. There's no seats. Even if there was a seat or they let you bring one in, or provided one for you, they wouldn't be able to see over the heads of everyone standing up in GA. IF they don't mind standing, then it's a great spot, especially if you get there early and they can stand right by the rail of Red Zone. IF they will tire of standing my advice would be to get actual seats in a good section. (Even there they might need to stand to see, if the folks in the row ahead of them are standing! Of course first row in any section is ideal, so there wouldn't be anyone in front of them).

Red Zone would be less crowded and crazy than regular GA, but the thing is they would be standing the whole time. There's no seats. Even if there was a seat or they let you bring one in, or provided one for you, they wouldn't be able to see over the heads of everyone standing up in GA. IF they don't mind standing, then it's a great spot, especially if you get there early and they can stand right by the rail of Red Zone. IF they will tire of standing my advice would be to get actual seats in a good section. (Even there they might need to stand to see, if the folks in the row ahead of them are standing! Of course first row in any section is ideal, so there wouldn't be anyone in front of them).

Thank you Cathy. You have convinced me. I agree that they may have a great time for 45 minutes, and then get tired the rest of the show. Looks like $300 seats it is (they deserve it and more).

Edited by jaimearodriguez

Depends upon what kind of shape the are in and there are seats on the side if necessary. I'm 62 and quickly getting closer to 63, and just did back to back Red Zones in Boston, actually the 2nd night we went to GA. Take some aspirin before the show to prevent backaches when standing for a long time - or dancing. Sit on the floor to rest before the band comes on. Grab a rail to hold onto while jumping up and down. There were people that looked older than me in RZ and GA and they find just fine. Nothing beats being on the floor, closer to the band.

But, if they're not already big fans, seats might work better and they'd have a better chance of seeing the entire show. Even RZ has it's limitations when it comes to seeing the E stage.

Edited by peggytwoten

one should perhaps also bear in mind that no dates have been announced beyond November 2015...

one should perhaps also bear in mind that no dates have been announced beyond November 2015...

True Bigwave. Gotta say though, I have spoken to several crew members this leg and feel quite confident of our chances  ;)

Depends upon what kind of shape the are in and there are seats on the side if necessary. I'm 62 and quickly getting closer to 63, and just did back to back Red Zones in Boston, actually the 2nd night we went to GA. Take some aspirin before the show to prevent backaches when standing for a long time - or dancing. Sit on the floor to rest before the band comes on. Grab a rail to hold onto while jumping up and down. There were people that looked older than me in RZ and GA and they find just fine. Nothing beats being on the floor, closer to the band.

But, if they're not already big fans, seats might work better and they'd have a better chance of seeing the entire show. Even RZ has it's limitations when it comes to seeing the E stage.

Well put Peggy, thank you! They like U2, and are very appreciative of the impact they have had in my life, and by extension my family's live for a decade. But after reading your post, seats may be wiser.

I'm taking my Dad to RZ at Glasgow on Friday - he's 83 - and assures me he will be fine! :)

Edited by jonwoods

As others have said, it depends on how fit they are for their age. I am aged 60 years. I sat last week in London (2nd show) and I will be sitting in Belfast (second show). However, I am doing GA and MGZ back to back for the first and second Dublin shows. I will happily do GA for the other two nights in Dublin if I get tickets.

I attend a lot of shows and I generally stand on the floor. You need to discuss with your parents so that they are aware of what they are letting themselves in for before deciding on Red Zone or seats.

Do not go in early there is no need at all go in at the last minute unless you want to be on the rail.You can move about virtually where and when you want .

my friend, 75, did Red Zone last week, went early and grabbed a front rail he could hang on to / rest on. Was knackered afterward, said it was worth it big time..

I'm taking my Dad to RZ at Glasgow on Friday - he's 83 - and assures me he will be fine! :)

That's the spirit!

my friend, 75, did Red Zone last week, went early and grabbed a front rail he could hang on to / rest on. Was knackered afterward, said it was worth it big time..

Great!

I was knackered!! Really felt my age lol. Asked security to provide us with a red sofa - they laughed mockingly;)

No need to arrive early, red zone is easy, not many people so queue is quick to get through and lots of space to move about before the crowds arrive for the GA

Ps. If you are short like me, take something to stand on - seriously!! Or get into the GA area where you can see both stages and the walkway.

Edited by Anjana

Sign in to follow this