Sign in to follow this  
U2Community

New York City Shows 7 & 8 #U2ieTour Reviews & Comments Thread

Poll: What Was Your Favourite Song(s) Of Each Night?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Your favourite song(s) of Show 7? Please choose up to 3 (three) songs...

• The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
    • The Electric Co.
    • Vertigo
    • I Will Follow
    • Iris (Hold Me Close)
    • Cedarwood Road
    • Song for Someone
    • Sunday Bloody Sunday
    • Raised By Wolves
    • Until The End Of The World
    • Invisible
    • Even Better Than The Real Thing
    • Mysterious Ways
    • Elevation
    • Ordinary Love
    • Satellite Of Love
    • Every Breaking Wave
    • Bullet The Blue Sky
    • Pride (In The Name Of Love)
    • Beautiful Day
    • With Or Without You
    • City Of Blinding Lights
    • Where The Streets Have No Name
    • One
  2. 2. Your favourite song(s) of Show 8? Please choose up to 3 (three) songs...

• The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
    • Out Of Control
    • Vertigo
    • I Will Follow
    • Iris (Hold Me Close)
    • Cedarwood Road
    • Song for Someone
    • Sunday Bloody Sunday
    • Raised By Wolves
    • Until The End Of The World
    • Invisible
    • Even Better Than The Real Thing
    • Mysterious Ways
    • Desire
    • Party Girl
    • Every Breaking Wave
    • Bullet The Blue Sky
    • Pride (In The Name Of Love
    • Beautiful Day
    • With Or Without You
    • City Of Blinding Lights
    • Where The Streets Have No Name
    • I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
    • Stand By Me

Where you there on either of the 2 final nights of the North American opening leg of the #U2ieTour?

Highlights?

Magic moments?

See you soon says the last Instagram from the band post gig - a hint maybe?

Best after show "how long" chant I've ever been a part of... went on with hundreds exiting down the stairs, through the lobby and when it finally spilled into the sidewalk people just broke into applause and cheers. Wonderful moment!

We so need an Asia/Australia/NZ leg pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaasssssssssseeeeeeeee...

Yes please :)

Show 7. Fantastic. Thanks u2. Was always going to be worth the trip across the Atlantic.

'one life with each other.'

Thanks for the memory. Hope to see you again soon at home in Ireland.

Thanks all of you and especially the mixlrs and all the posts. I'm grateful to be part of this. Thanks U2 & team. :) See ya !!

Best after show "how long" chant I've ever been a part of... went on with hundreds exiting down the stairs, through the lobby and when it finally spilled into the sidewalk people just broke into applause and cheers. Wonderful moment!

That is so great! Thanks for sharing!

We so need an Asia/Australia/NZ leg pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaasssssssssseeeeeeeee...

Yes please :)

another *Please*, we'll get up off our knees...

A photo posted by U2 Brasil (@u2br) on
Jul 30, 2015 at 12:18pm PDT

<script async defer src="//platform.instagram.com/en_US/embeds.js"></script>

!!!  why were they not selling this on the nights I went?!  I would have bought this!!!

Edited by chris1043

A photo posted by U2 Brasil (@u2br) on
Jul 30, 2015 at 12:18pm PDT

<script async defer src="//platform.instagram.com/en_US/embeds.js"></script>

!!!  why were they not selling this on the nights I went?!  I would have bought this!!!

They sold them for every NYC show but were limited to 300 as well as the date specific tee, only 300 sold. 

I love it when Edge hops and dances. 

I know, isn't he just the most darling ever??

So, why do i feel there won't be a 2nd leg return to the US..... I don't want to feel this, but I do, my gut is usually spot on... Talk me out of this someone... Anyone......

I'm going to TRY to post a link to my friend's vids here, she got awesome pix and I got nothing but crap on my terrible little Tracfone!

https://www.facebook.com/kbergey/videos/vb.1071828976/10205685276745819/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/kbergey/videos/vb.1071828976/10205668787813606/?type=3&theater

This concert was BEYOND AWESOME, we took it in ringside at the catwalk! They played songs from WAR that I didn't expect. The only complaint I have is something that neither I nor my friend liked, and that's when they climbed into the middle of the screens and disappeared for a couple of solngs! It was very strange!

Hopefully more pix later!

Why the guy with the silver suit again? :lol:

He might be an uber fan - but honestly U2? - LET HIM GO!

I could not believe it when that fella with the silver hat and suit got another piece of prime space on a U2 gig....must be in America? lol

Yeah, he made a wee film, yeah it's been recognised, he's even had a band on a U2 stage ??

That guy wasted time that the band could have spent playing 'Bad' - 

Do you see where I'm coming from U2?

Lot's of fans travel to see you - not people that want to be you. ;)

I could not believe it when that fella with the silver hat and suit got another piece of prime space on a U2 gig....must be in America? lol

Yeah, he made a wee film, yeah it's been recognised, he's even had a band on a U2 stage ??

I agree for instance U2br and Amp were taken on stage at least twice...why take people up more than once when there are so many uber fans...I am in Australia and flew over for 2 vancouver and 2 la concerts and amp was onstage at 2 of these...I almost booed the second concert. Other fans should be given the opportunity.

And hope they come to Australia

Edited by airwalk74

Back home in N.Ireland and loving it. Thanks U2 - feckin best band in the world for the right reasons!

Thanks for last week.

This song is why I fell 'in love' with U2 back in the day  - the days when Bono scaled heights on the rigging. I was 15, U2 were slightly older. A great U2 song.

Just letting everyone else do the camera work - I was a teir up - listening.

Edited by yardie

Last reflection from me on this one: MSG Thurs 30th July, 2015.

I recall writing a post on here just over 10 years ago, along the lines of reflection on the atmosphere of walking down one of the winding exits ramps of the Hogan Stand upper tier in Croke Park - to a crowd singing in unison 'how long....to sing this song' - a beautiful moment, and I contemplated how I might/ might not ever get to experience that feeling again.

Times have moved on and times have changed hugely since then, we're all hooked up and can share anything we want, anywhere, in an instant. I went to Croke Park again 4 years later and encountered the mammoth structure crudely nicknamed 'the claw' - another great set on 360, and another great show from 'my band', y'know, that band you hook up with somewhere around the time when you're maybe hooking up with your first girlfriend or boyfriend - that kinda thing.

Then there was New York last week. Something that came around by a mixture of luck and desire. Luck, that the band announced extra shows that matched a possibility in a family vacation intinerary - and desire - that above all else we were going to make this happen, we could make this happen. All we needed to do was buy the tickets - all we needed to do was hope that Amtrak would deliver us safely and on time from Washington DC to New York City on the morning of Thursday 30th July, 2015 -  a line that was the scene of tragedy only a few short months earlier in the year.

I thought about those people on the journey to New York - my sympathies went out to the families of victims and injured somewhere north of Philadelphia.

At 13.30 we pulled into Penn station, we'd arrived, we'd made it to the final leg of our little private tour, we grappled with our luggage up the short staircase to street level and the first thing to greet us as we arrived in NYC?.... apart from the torrential downpour (the first rain of the holiday) that had just opened from the skies, was a huge greyish/yellow luminous sign that adorned the Madison Square Garden arena for 2 weeks and four familiar faces looking down at us, Bono, Edge, Adam & Larry.

We'd arrived indeed, and the rain? It was almost welcome!

A short walk across 8th Av to the New Yorker hotel, check in, and a room with a balcony of sorts no less, we could even look down on MSG from the 22nd floor and see what looked like a queue for GA forming. The rain had eased, slightly.

We left for the show early, got our seats and a beer, right behind what looked liked the lighting guys or those who controlled the imagery of the show - not so much knobs and buttons - more a bank of digital screens and monitors - I had to take some pics, but no sign of Willie Williams. Great seats though along the side parallel to the walkway and stage screen.

A brief chat with a 'local' yank from Missouri who recognised our Irish accents, but couldn't pin down which county, even thought it might be the Isle of Man! We enlightened him. Nice guy. The atmosphere was building and the crowd was filling in and Bono enters from the B stage end of the arena (so that's why there was no audience in that part of the arena, they filled in behind him) - that was a surprise - and a 'miracle' was born - I was sitting in New York with my wife watching U2!

Electric Co. - powerful and brilliantly delivered as always. I remembered Gateshead stadium 1982, channel 4 (uk), The tube, the concert on TV that got me really interested in this bands music, not their 'philosophies' and beliefs - that came later. I was on my feet, I invited those around me to join in - they did!! - and Vertigo rocked the house. I Will Follow - if you walk-away, walk- away, I walk-away, walk-away - I was in full voice by this stage!!

The Edges' chimes signaled Iris, having endured a bad joke from Bono - I thought about my mum too - I'd lost her in the period between now and the last time I'd seen the band in 2009. It did bring a lump to my throat and a tear to the eye, my wife just looked at me, she knew.

Free yourself, to be yourself.

And so it continued - Sunday Bloody Sunday quite vociferous, in fact about as passionate as I have heard it since the days of Rattle and Hum, and the 'Enniskillen bombing' reference, as the band personalised to the south of Ireland and how 'the troubles' impacted Dublin and the injustice that many feel both north and south of the border (that doesn't really exist anymore) in my country. Many victims and their families have never had the justice or closure they deserve in bringing to book the perpetrators of the violent acts of terrorism brought onto them.

Somewhere among all that some poor woman who came to Bono's aid when he fell off his bike last year got absolutely slaughtered by the local New Yorkers as she said something she probably didn't mean the way it sounded - but yeah, she did slag off New Yorkers, even I could tell that one. I felt for her though, it went on a bit too long (the booing that is). See what happens when ya try to do a good deed for a stranger! :)

I love 'Invisible'. Took a bit of time for some though around me to realise that the band were back on stage  - hey guys, wakey wakey!!!

But, everyone was on their feet again as 'Even Better than The Real Thing' belted around the arena. Mysterious Ways - love the Edge slide guitar in this one, always have done.

We then rattled through the second set.

A great tribute to Lou Reed - the imagery taking me back to that video tape (remember those kids?) that we all bought in '93 of U2 live in Sydney on Zoo Tv tour. It was those images. I remember it from seeing the band in Dublin in '93 too. Those interference images of Lou singing ' Satellite of Love'. Lovely, lovely moment.

'Pride' and 'Bullet' sounded awesome and really great to hear those two back to back again - just when you think you've grown tired of two songs of yore  - BOOM! 

Then some guy from the audience getting to really live the dream, getting a tour of the backline stage with Bono during City Of Blinding Lights, whoah, he'll remember that one, heck, I'll remember that one. OH - YOU - LOOK -SO- BEAUTIFUL......tonight.

Streets, with Paul Simon on intro was a nice touch, even if I detected a slight problem for the crew in having to stall the intro that greets the start of 'streets', but nobody else noticed I think. ;) They handled it well. A song that just has to be there every time. I reflected back to my first U2 concert at the old Croke Park in 1987, in the days when ticket stubs had character, and the band opening with this song. Mayhem.

Then my WOW moment - finishing with 'One' - Bono, more or less, just letting the audience take over and accompany Edge, Adam and Larry on the final hurdle to a close.

And so that was that! A walk down what looked liked a specially opened 'fire exit' (strange) and we were back out in the muggy New York air - oh - well, at least I had my 40 dollar 'I + E' T-shirt to take with me - I had changed into it before the start of the show, main concourse, no shame!

A quick walk across 8th Av to our hotel for a post gig beer and a calming down session - it had been a long day.

There's an add-on though. The following night as the band were finishing their final show and the trucks were organising for final load out and load out had already begun - I spotted and gestured to Jake Berry who was duly giving his team instructions to keep those two mad Irish people at a safe distance - however he responded by waving a traffic cone at us - Nice one Jake!

Then - before even the audience had managed to get out of MSG - there they were, the band exiting the arena in four blacked out wagons, containing some family I guess too. Definitely think I got a pic of Edge  though - a bad pic of Edge....ok, ok .....It's a pic of a black car containing what we think was Edge! :)

And then they were gone.

The band, the North American tour and a few days later....US!

There is no them, only us.

Cheers, Yardie. 

Edited by yardie

I agree for instance U2br and Amp were taken on stage at least twice...why take people up more than once when there are so many uber fans...I am in Australia and flew over for 2 vancouver and 2 la concerts and amp was onstage at 2 of these...I almost booed the second concert. Other fans should be given the opportunity.

And hope they come to Australia

I purposely situated myself on the catwalk this time, far away from the E stage for MSG 7.  Bono sought me out.  Am I gonna say no?  Bad wasn't on the setlist anyway.

I'm Canadian BTW....

Sorry I ruined your show.

Hey bro,sorry,wasn't a personal attack, hence I put a few smilies in there - and at no point did I say you ruined my experience.

Keep on rockin. It's was more an expression of me observing,well, I've seen you before....just play Bad, I haven't seen that live before,yet!

An unadulterated selfish perspective, I accept!

Hey Yardie... thanks for writing back.

Trust me.  "Bad" is my favourite song of all time....and it is always a special show when they play it live.  So I hear you.

After seeing 6 shows, I also didn't get "The Troubles" or "Volcano".

I won't be at any European shows (at least right now) and I think any more of my GA experiences will be far from the rail.

I'm by no means a stage hog.  I think the B-man just trusts me.

Hey, no worries, lost in translation or my awful sense of humour that doesn't always reflect on the page the way it sounds in my head. I really do like the hat!...not sure about the trousers.

You definitely have earned the bands trust,no doubt about that. Good luck.

There is no them, only us.

My Highlights for MSG #7 and #8

-- Trading a literally down to the last minute GA ticket to get Mirrorball Mark in to the show (AND him getting onstage!)

-- Meeting Mason in the front row of the MainStage and charging his phone before the show started. Little did he know he would be brought up onstage to KILL IT during COBL with Bono a few hours later. It was his FIRST ever U2 show and that was his experience (: My first show was in the nosebleeds in Giants stadium in 1986 during the Amnesty Conspiracy of Hope tour. However, this being pre-911, and having about 20 acts before they came on, by the time they hit the stage we were 3 people back from the rails. You can still see our Canadian flag in footage from that show near the front on Edge's side.

-- Satellite Of Love with Laurie Anderson in the audience. Beautiful. I remember he used to riff on that particular song a lot (see Live Aid). Loved Lou and thought this was so amazing. 

-- Realizing I was standing right next to Julian Lennon about an hour in (:

-- Springsteen/Stand by Me

-- Getting Bono-tized for the 5th time this tour (:

-- FINALLY getting to meet and greet (sort of) with Bono after 20+ years of trying. He was resting his voice but posed for a photo with a sign from the Canadian couple next to me. Gracious and lovely, as expected. In Dublin I'm going to see if I can't get an autograph of the half copy of Alice in Wonderland I caught in Chicago. Wish me luck.

-- Meeting so many of the #U2Family in person finally

-- Watching Chris Rock go off to City of Blinding Lights

Two of the best nights of my life. Just unreal.

Sign in to follow this