Sign in to follow this  
loucanova

Music Generation Zone or General Admission Standing, which is best?

Although the music generation zone standing areas are cordoned off and less crowded than the general admission standing areas at both venues, it seems to be that the GA areas are perhaps better for viewing if I am interpreting things correctly. At Belfast, although the MGZ is at the front, the zones are to the sides and at Dublin the MGZ is behind the GA areas so in both instances they seem to be inferior viewing areas to GA, am I correct on this or have I misinterpreted something?

Have the exact same query myself.  I have MGZ tix for Dublin but it looks as though they actually provide the worst views!  Right down the length of, or oblique to, the video screens too.  Not sure who exactly to ask for clarification either.

Good questions.  For Belfast, the MGZ (called "Red Zone" in the US) are in the same location they were for the US.  Folks' opinions differed in the US, but in my opinion, with this location, the main reason to get MGZ tix would be that you're let into the MGZ just a minute or two after regular GA is let in.  Given that MGZ can leave there and enter regular GA at will (and return), this gives MGZ people pretty much their pick (almost) of regular GA positions.  For Dublin, you're right, now the MGZ tix appear to simply be at the back of regular GA; it's hard to see this as being a good thing.  Although, as mentioned above, you do have more room/space, which is nice.

As mike7man says, for Belfast, the MGZ is in the same location as the RZ's from previous shows on the tour. These are located on the sides of GA, with a small part of the MGZ adjacent to part of the main I-stage rail. So a lucky few (who will have to queue for a bit) will be able to get a spot on the (main) I-stage rail, off to either Edge's or Adam's side. All people in RZ (& Belfast MGZ) will be able to see the visuals on the screen. Those that are further back, down the side of the arena) will have better views of the screen, & be a little closer to the (minor) e-stage. As Mike says, those in RZ/MGZ are free to move into GA. So you may want to start the show up close to the I-stage, after a few songs move further back in MGZ to get the best view of the screen, then move out into GA near the e-stage while the band performs here, then back in to MGZ for the remainder of the show.

The situation is different in Dublin. The MGZ is behind GA, at the back of the floor. A small part of the MGZ's is adjacent to the catwalk (with the screen above it). So here, those close to the catwalk (who will get close to the band at some stages), will not have a view of the screen. So a choice must be made to either stay back, & enjoy the screen, or come forward to get closer to the catwalk, but miss the visuals of the screen. Personally, I don't think this is a good situation for MGZ, & I'd recommend MGZ in Belfast over MGZ in Dublin. Actually, I wouldn't be going anywhere near MGZ for Dublin, GA anyday!

Conversely, I think Dublin will be a great place to see the show in GA (if you get there early), better than any other show! This is because the e-stage is in the middle of the floor, not the far end. From a spot on the far side of the e-stage rail (the pink spots on the image below), you can have unimpeded views over the e-stage towards the I-stage (when the band performs on the I-stage). You'd be extremely close to the action when the band performs on both the e-stage & the end of the catwalk, & have some (overhead) views of the screen, as it's a little bit away from the catwalk & screen. For other shows, the rail for this spot was further from the e-stage (due to the stairs). Also the band often faced the other direction (back towards the I-stage), towards the majority of the crowd - look which direction Larry's drum kit faces. So you'd see the band's backs a fair bit. But for Dublin, the rail will be closer to the e-stage, & as most of the crowd will be beyond the MGZ's, I can see the band facing this direction a lot of the time when performing on the e-stage. Give me one of those pink spots any day!

Dublin.jpg

Edited by ddarroch

As usual, excellent observations/advice from ddarroch.  What s/he said.

All subject to change, as what happened with the other venues. Agree that Dublins mgz are in a weird position. Think only thing that counts is that you're in the house.

Don't think this will change.  They waited forever to come up with this, and have had the experience of the US leg to really come to grips with various parameters, etc.

So, what do we actually get for MGZ tickets - I don't mind paying the money the band are worth every penny but if I have very restricted views I wont be overly pleased. I will see the show from GA in London later this month. I got MGZ for Dublin on the 28th.

With the Dublin setup (vs. other venues, including Belfast), not much.  If I were you, I'd use my MGZ ticket to go directly into regular GA and get a great spot either by the main stage or the b-stage.  Just make sure you're in the MGZ line in time to be let in as soon as MGZ is allowed on the floor (which will be just moments after regular GA, most likely).  Plus, if you get tired of regular GA (e.g., it gets too close/crowded), you can always fall back to the MGZ.

My only reason to buy a MGZ was that I couldn't get my hands on any GA. I will use it to go directly into the normal GA area - and I guess that is what most people will do  :)

Edited by jenny1980

^^ Same here -- any updates on this? Is the MGZ map still accurate for Dublin"? Otherwise looks like the benefit is getting rail spots at E or MainStage -- but the setup is so different...wondering if its specific to venue layout or they are changing up the show for Dublin? I haven't received ANY MGZ info yet and I have tickets for D3 and D4. Anyone know what's up? Is it being managed by the same lovely folks (Hi Emma!) who usually do RZ?

If anyone has rec'd their info from MGZ yet, can you pls share??

Hi, was at the show in London on Sunday, the venue in Dublin is much smaller and much more intimate, any view is spectacular. The video wall is just unbelievable, anywhere in GA will be amazing, the band is so close that it wont matter where you stand. will need to be back a little to appreciate the images on the screen. They played Invisible from inside the screen and it was brilliant. After London I cannot ait for Dublin, it will be special....

My only reason to buy a MGZ was that I couldn't get my hands on any GA. I will use it to go directly into the normal GA area - and I guess that is what most people will do  :)

I think it is matter of choice. As for me both are nice!

Sign in to follow this