Sign in to follow this  
U2Community

TFI Friday

TFI is brill, so glad it's back, lots of daft fun and general mayhem:)

Apart from lovely Larry they looked tired to me, sounded a bit hmm

Great News !!! From info on Channel 4 website it would seem that the 2 extra U2 performances (Out of Control & Song for Someone) will be shown  in the extended version of TFI Friday to be broadcast on Channel 4 on Saturday night 11.00pm to 12.15am :) 

Just want to say a massive thankyou U2.Com for last night's Tix to TFI.Had an amazing night in frount of the stage, never been so close to the Band before and we'll worth the 35year wait to touch Bono,s hand!!!!Lovely meeting the other Zootopians as well, with special thanks to Bigwave for his Organisation . Was still buzzing when I got home and already watched show back several times. Fantastic

It's still all sinking in... Feels a bit like a dream but I've seen video evidence that this actually happened!!!! Anyway here we go:

Friday night I got to participate in something really special thanks to U2.com and bigwave. Being part of the TFI Friday audience was a fantastic experience on so many levels. I've been at the front for a lot of gigs (U2 ones included) but this was something different. It was like you were on the stage with them. I thought the atmosphere was electric and the band were on top form. We were treated to four fantastic songs. Loved hearing Raised By Wolves and Out Of Control, which was out of control! It was also a great opportunity for me to hear some new music. I hope that someone signs Sound Of The Siren as they are definitely my cup of tea. When The Edge invents immortality he best share the secret so that I can be there at every show singing along and supporting them.

Would have been 1 year to the day the recording of Graham Norton Show. Spending 2 consecutive birthdays watching U2 would have been awesome but bit tough on the wife. Glad you made this one Big Wave.

Hi there, I was one of the very lucky ones who won tickets to see the TFI Friday show. I've been a fan for over 20 years and was over the moon at getting this very exclusive chance to see them up close and personal.

I got there early in the hope of meeting them all as they entered the building and was fortunate enough to meet Adam.

After meeting with the production team and getting our names checked on the guest list we were give wristbands and we were soon ushered into the studio right up to the front of the stage.

The atmosphere was electric, I've been to U2 stadium tours and they have a presence of their own, but to be literally a foot away from Bono as he sang Raised By Wolves

was totally awesome, I was dumbstruck and had to keep pinching myself that I was there and it wasn't a dream. I never in a million years thought I'd see U2 in such an intimate setting compared to a huge tour venue. The set and sound was brilliant, top class and perfect.The music was fantastic too and I got to watch it on tv to re-live it over again. I must say a HUGE thank you to Alan Ivory who pointed me to the competition on here otherwise I would have been none the wiser. I feel extremely privileged to have experienced such a surreal performance, definitely one to tell the grandchildren about in the future. Thanks to the admin who sorted out the details and to John for his helpful demeanour. All songs were great and Bono sprayed a bottle of champagne into the audience!!! Absolute dream come true

Actually they left the best at the end

I loved how they did Song for Someone and it always gives me heartbreaking hearing the words of introduction to out of control

what a special night... and fantastic to be there with the other ZT's.... Band was on top form, and the sound / atmosphere in the studio was electric... so powerful. So close we could touch the band.. and some of us did just that... 

Really surprised they did Raised By Wolves to open. Cut like a knife in the studio, right to the core. A reason this was performed in London... Listen to lyrics & read up on what its about to get an understanding on that. As relevant as they have ever been if anyone ever doubted..

Down in the pit, we could barely hear the interviews and got asked to hush up when they were on, but after watching back the show afterwards, we were a bit noisy at times :)

Vertigo was a great way to end the tv show, tight as a drum... and then we got 2 extra tracks after the broadcast ended - SFS nice touch, but for me the highlight of the whole event came when Bono cracked the champagne and Bonotized us all, and then Out Of Control send us into overdrive.

Whole show impressed me greatly... the way they swapped out the equipment between bands and back again for U2 at the end was very fast and professional, and the compere (who you didn't actually see on tv) was great too, really got the crowd going and kept us up throughout the show.

Wow great to read the reviews, so pleased for you all, what an incredible experience, bet you'll never forget it:)

Reallt great you all had such a fabulous time! Thanks for sharing your reviews here, makes us feel the excitement too

Back in the Nineties I’d been to a few TV studio recordings to see bands that I liked; such as Ned’s Atomic Dustbin, The Wonder Stuff and The Mission, appear on TFI Friday, The Word and Rock Steady. I loved those bands and I frequently saw them in club sized venues. U2 on the other hand have always been huge and they have always been my favourite band, they don’t small gigs really do they?

So it was with great excitement late on Thursday night they I discovered that I had won a place in the U2 TFI Friday Ballot for myself and a friend and I was going to have to change a few plans for the next day and get to  London. 

My friend and I arrived at the studios quite early and after checking off names and ID, we were given purple wristbands and told to come back by 7pm, off to the pub it was then although only for one as I didn’t want to have to find a toilet during a live TV Broadcast. When we reached the pub we found a few more people who were going that had red wristbands, what did the colours mean we wondered?

When we got back to the outside the studio and met up with Bigwave and a few other U2 fans, we discovered that they all had purple wristbands on too .The door staff told us that we should join the back of the long queue but also that we would all be called up early to enter as we were the completion winners, These purple bands gave us priority.. After a bit of confusion from the stewards we were called up early and we went in to the studio and managed to grab spots all around the stage, wow that was a tiny stage.

After some introductions from the warm up guy and lots of TV crew running around the place, at 8pm U2 appeared silently on the stage in front of us and the show’s familiar theme music played out as we watched the titles on a huge monitor. Chris Evans said a few words, we all cheered , cameras moved through the air, the band started up and before I knew it I had Bono two feet away from me live on TV and I was singing my heart out to Raised By Wolves and wondering if I looked like an idiot grinning away on everyone’s TV. The four minutes of the song flew by and we were soon being shuffled backwards so that the catwalk stage could be removed.

A couple of other bands played: Slaves were one of them, they were impressive , I saw Bono keenly watching them from the guest balcony, a lot of other musicians of his standing probably wouldn’t have been doing that . Take That were another of the support bands, they played one song, they have never been my cup of tea but their more recent work has caught my ear as being credible competent pop musicians, so far from how they were twenty three years ago though. U2 were interviewed upstairs although I will have to watch my TV recording to find out what they said as it was quite noisy in the studio.

Fifty minutes after it all started , the TV crew were moving us around a bit and U2’s catwalk stage extension was brought back , no mean feat by the crew as they did this in a huge crowd with little spare time. The lads came back on and we were treated Vertigo during which I became aware that it was nearly 9pm and show finish time. U2 stayed on stage, the cameras carried on rolling and we had Song For Someone and Out Of Control, all for the extended Saturday night edition of the show.

It was an amazing night, I never ever dreamed that I would get to see U2 play a “gig” this small , I never thought I would be a couple of feet away from them , I still can’t really believed that it happened , Thank you U2 TFI Friday and  Zootopia for making this happen , I hope that they can give us fans the chance to do something again. 

Reallt great you all had such a fabulous time! Thanks for sharing your reviews here, makes us feel the excitement too

Hello there, welcome back:))

Hello there, welcome back:))

Hi Anj ... how are things?

It was the end of last week when I found out that U2 were to be guests on the first in a new/final series of TFI Friday, I had to be there! I started the week trying all sorts of ways of applying for a ticket, it got to Thursday, the day before the show & I started to panic, panic to the point of even following & retweeting Take That! (don't judge me!) I had no success (yes, I immediately unfollowed Take That! Haha), but then a friend informed me that U2.com had tickets to give away, so I hit the Zoo & posted my name in the hopes of being drawn out of the hat.

At 7:45pm I saw a tweet from a fellow Zootopian (Chichard41) whom I hadn't seen since the Vertigo tour saying he had a spare ticket & if someone wanted it, then 'shout him', yep, I shouted loudly & he heard me, I was going to TFI Friday with U2! A couple of good friends (also Zootopians) also wanted to go to the show & had also entered the U2.com draw for tickets. Time was ticking away & suddenly I got a pm from Bigwave informing me my name had been drawn out of the hat for tickets! I couldn't believe my luck! I spoke to chichard41 & he said he would take one of my friends in with him & I'd take in the other, we were all set & absolutely gobsmacked that we were all going to get to see this performance.

Friday comes around, show day, I'm running late due to train delays & my friends are panicking. None of us believe we will see U2 until we get inside the venue, our stomachs are turning & the anxiety kicks in. Finally, we are let into the venue!

Oh My God! We're inside! It's tiny! We were expecting a long trek to the stage area but it was literally just in front of us! Adam's side, Edge's side, right at the tip of the mini catwalk, where do we go?!!!! We opted for Edge's side as a few Take That fans had gone Adam's side, we were So Close it was ridiculous! Right in front of Edge's pedal board, holy *enter expletive here*!

The show starts, intro by the presenter Chris Evans & straight into U2 'Raised by Wolves' to open the show. Wow! This is so intimate it's ridiculous! Edge is standing 4 feet in front of us, we are jumping & singing at the top of our lungs! BINGO! Bono gets registration 1385WZ correct ;)

We are ecstatic! There can't be anymore than 200 people in this audience, you'd have to travel back in time to the late 70's to see a crowd this intimate & small watching now one of the biggest bands in the world!

The show moves on with live performances from Sounds of the Sirens, Take That & Slaves, one number each, interviews with Steve Coogan & Saoirse Ronan.

U2 are closing the show & we hear Uno, Dos, Tres, Catorce! The audience goes wild & pogoing ensues, it's loud & it's fantastic, it's like being in a concert in your own living room! The show is off air after Vertigo and the audience is in for a surprise, U2 keep on playing! 'Song for Someone' is up next, that song just gets me every time! I'm standing there in awe, turning to watch my friends, seeing the emotion from Bono, just ......Wow! Then we get a treat! 'Out of Control'! You have to sing your heart out & jump like crazy to this one, it's a given. Bono picks up a bottle of champagne, cracks it open & sprays the audience, I get a bit of champers in my eye, but I don't care, This. Is. AWESOME! I sing at the top of my lungs just like everyone else and I don't want this to end, this is just so close, so intimate, so freaking amazing! It was a mini gig of maximum awesomeness!

The show ends, one of my friends has a drumstick from Larry & a guitar pick from Edge, another gets the champagne bottle that Bono sprays the audience with. There's champagne still in the bottle, so between the four of us, we drink it & celebrate!

Thank you so much to all the people at U2.com, this was one I won't forget in a hurry!

It was the end of last week when I found out that U2 were to be guests on the first in a new/final series of TFI Friday, I had to be there! I started the week trying all sorts of ways of applying for a ticket, it got to Thursday, the day before the show & I started to panic, panic to the point of even following & retweeting Take That! (don't judge me!) I had no success (yes, I immediately unfollowed Take That! Haha), but then a friend informed me that U2.com had tickets to give away, so I hit the Zoo & posted my name in the hopes of being drawn out of the hat.

At 7:45pm I saw a tweet from a fellow Zootopian (Chichard41) whom I hadn't seen since the Vertigo tour saying he had a spare ticket & if someone wanted it, then 'shout him', yep, I shouted loudly & he heard me, I was going to TFI Friday with U2! A couple of good friends (also Zootopians) also wanted to go to the show & had also entered the U2.com draw for tickets. Time was ticking away & suddenly I got a pm from Bigwave informing me my name had been drawn out of the hat for tickets! I couldn't believe my luck! I spoke to chichard41 & he said he would take one of my friends in with him & I'd take in the other, we were all set & absolutely gobsmacked that we were all going to get to see this performance.

Friday comes around, show day, I'm running late due to train delays & my friends are panicking. None of us believe we will see U2 until we get inside the venue, our stomachs are turning & the anxiety kicks in. Finally, we are let into the venue!

Oh My God! We're inside! It's tiny! We were expecting a long trek to the stage area but it was literally just in front of us! Adam's side, Edge's side, right at the tip of the mini catwalk, where do we go?!!!! We opted for Edge's side as a few Take That fans had gone Adam's side, we were So Close it was ridiculous! Right in front of Edge's pedal board, holy *enter expletive here*!

The show starts, intro by the presenter Chris Evans & straight into U2 'Raised by Wolves' to open the show. Wow! This is so intimate it's ridiculous! Edge is standing 4 feet in front of us, we are jumping & singing at the top of our lungs! BINGO! Bono gets registration 1385WZ correct ;)

We are ecstatic! There can't be anymore than 200 people in this audience, you'd have to travel back in time to the late 70's to see a crowd this intimate & small watching now one of the biggest bands in the world!

The show moves on with live performances from Sounds of the Sirens, Take That & Slaves, one number each, interviews with Steve Coogan & Saoirse Ronan.

U2 are closing the show & we hear Uno, Dos, Tres, Catorce! The audience goes wild & pogoing ensues, it's loud & it's fantastic, it's like being in a concert in your own living room! The show is off air after Vertigo and the audience is in for a surprise, U2 keep on playing! 'Song for Someone' is up next, that song just gets me every time! I'm standing there in awe, turning to watch my friends, seeing the emotion from Bono, just ......Wow! Then we get a treat! 'Out of Control'! You have to sing your heart out & jump like crazy to this one, it's a given. Bono picks up a bottle of champagne, cracks it open & sprays the audience, I get a bit of champers in my eye, but I don't care, This. Is. AWESOME! I sing at the top of my lungs just like everyone else and I don't want this to end, this is just so close, so intimate, so freaking amazing! It was a mini gig of maximum awesomeness!

The show ends, one of my friends has a drumstick from Larry & a guitar pick from Edge, another gets the champagne bottle that Bono sprays the audience with. There's champagne still in the bottle, so between the four of us, we drink it & celebrate!

Thank you so much to all the people at U2.com, this was one I won't forget in a hurry!

Another great review of that magnicent moment !

Goosebumps reading all this stuff and feeling the emotions you all experienced!