Sign in to follow this  
Max Tsukino

London Shows 1 & 2 #U2ieTour Reviews & Comments Thread

What Was Your Favourite Song(s) Of Each Night?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Your favourite song(s) of Show 1? Please choose up to 3 (three) songs...

• The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)
    • The Electric Co.
    • Vertigo
    • I Will Follow
    • Iris (Hold Me Now)
    • Cedarwood Road
    • Song for Someone
    • Sunday Bloody Sunday
    • Raised by Wolves
    • Until the End of the World
    • Invisible
    • Even Better than the Real Thing
    • Mysterious Ways
    • Elevation
    • The Sweetest Thing
    • Every Breaking Wave
    • October
    • Bullet the Blue Sky
    • Zooropa
    • Where the Streets Have No Name
    • Pride (In the Name of Love)
    • With or Without You
    • City of Blinding Lights
    • Beautiful Day
    • Mother And Child Reunion (snippet) / One
  2. 2. Your favourite song(s) of Show 2? Please choose up to 3 (three) songs...

• The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)
    • Out of Control
    • Vertigo
    • I Will Follow
    • Iris (Hold Me Close)
    • Cedarwood Road
    • Song for Someone
    • Sunday Bloody Sunday
    • Raised By Wolves
    • Until the End of the World
    • Invisible
    • Even Better than the Real Thing
    • Mysterious Ways
    • Desire
    • Angel of Harlem
    • Every Breaking Wave
    • October
    • Bullet the Blue Sky
    • Zooropa
    • Where The Streets Have No Name
    • Pride (In the Name of Love)
    • With or Without You
    • City of Blinding Lights
    • Beautiful Day
    • Mother And Child Reunion (snippet) / I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

From the atmosphere on night one the older classic songs went down much better and my own opinion is because they are  in a different league to the new stuff.The new stuff was good but the classics went down much better. The biggest indicator is the atmosphere and noise level from the crowd which went to another level.It wasnt flat during the new songs but by comparison it was so you could tell what the majority of people wanted to hear.Even better than the real thing whilst not one of my favourites was incredible especially with the screen.Set list could be much better whilst we all have different faves the new songs are the lower points.The miracle is a poor opener choice just like breathe was to begin with on 360 . Didnt like new version of sbs parts of it sound badly out of tune.Not everyone would agree its just my opinion.and the show was brilliant but i think it could be even better.

Inevitably a proportion of the crowd will be more familiar with the big hits than the more recent tracks. But also remember that they are basically touring SoI so playing a larger number of songs from that album. For the rest they can cherry pick the crowd pleasers from across all the other albums... Pride and Streets got a big reaction but if they had played five or six tracks from just UF or from JT would they all have gained the same level of response?

I was at four 360 degree shows - 2 in London and 2 in Dublin. For me the fact they aren't playing in the Round on an arena tour is a big disappointment.

London 1 felt a bit flat and the fact you can't see the band close up for the whole show in standing adds to that.

The new stuff is ok but doesn't light me up the way the old songs do.

Next up for me is London 4.

I was at night one and two, it's hard for me to be objective, I had a fantastic time both nights, second night was especially good, Desire and Angel Of Harlem really continued the party atmosphere that Mysterious ways started and got everyone moving with some real feel good factor, Bono was much more engaged with the audience throughout the show and seemed to enjoy it more, I saw far more smiling and laughter from the other band members too (except for Adam who is ALWAYS smiling :) ).

It is harder for me to judge how the new songs came across as I think you have to be able to take in the screen to fully appreciate them, but the songs that rely less on the screen as part of the performance were captivating, Iris and EBW, SFS was also wonderful but I think because I was near the e stage so saw more of Bono's performance.
I certainly can't say anything bad about the new songs, so that's got to be good!

I might not be the biggest Noel fan, but I really appreciated the ISHFWILF duet, simply because I know they have been good friends for a long time and it's nice to have that sense of chemistry, plus it was the first time I have seen ISHFWILF live and being my all time favourite song I was reduced to tears of joy.

The down and out rock show at the start has oodles of energy and was perfectly executed, the intimate section was oozing love and feel good factor whether it was EBW or Desire (Desire was full band, not acoustic which as pretty damned special!).

I still commend the decision to introduce the Zooropa rather than Mother and Child Reunion segue to Streets, it works flawlessly and perfectly transitions the mood from EBW, October and BTBS into the sky high reaches of Streets, which is then followed by Pride to give all that energy somewhere to flow before WOWY.

The last injection of energy before the final song works nicely (you wouldn't want to be gently swaying for 3 whole songs at the end), One was of course a great opportunity for the audience to be together one last time, but for me ISHFWILF followed by All You Need Is Love had a far more upbeat feel whilst still achieving the unity the last song reaches for.

This one of my photo's taken from night 2 during Desire

post-581496-0-01960100-1446110706_thumb.png

In terms of best places to stand, I did both shows on the North Side rail by the e stage, but honestly I don't think there is a bad place to be, it just means that you will get a slightly different show, we had LOTS of Bono time on the runway, we quite accidentally positioned ourselves at what seemed to be his favourite stop point near the e stage and he spent most of that time facing us (got lots of eye contact and some smiles  :wub:  ).

However you don't get so much time from the rest of the band, Adam and Edge stop far less frequently on the runway, but if like us you can position yourself on the runway but very near to a stage then you can have the best of both worlds.

As a general rule in terms of atmosphere, the e stage is the intimate show, the i stage is the rock show and 2-3 spaces from the rail is the full visual extravaganza, so you really just need to decide which part of the show appeals to you most, but I will say that once the show is in full swing there is room to move around and as long as you're not worried about a rail spot then you are actually able to easily move between stages as the show progresses.

The Meerket girls both nights and the guitar brothers were awesome, I met Trish earlier in the day and had the chance to congratulate her the next day. There was a split second on night 2 during Mysterious Ways where I thought it might be me, Bono locked eyes with me and didn't look away, when he edged slightly toward me I freaked and had to look at Larry until he turned away, thankfully he then immediately pulled Tammy and she was fantastic!

Proving that you never really know how your going to react when faced with your heroes until it happens...of course he was probably just engaging with me for a moment, but I guess we'll never know now.

I also want to mention the lad who got to wear Bono's shades and swap jackets, he was clearly very nervous but did very well, it was only a shame he didn't get to keep the jacket and shades...I hope they gave him something awesome instead, the thematic point wasn't lost on me and was a nice touch.

The sound was every bit as good as we were told it would be, I've NEVER been to a show bigger than a small theater size with such good sound, clear as day and really made what was already an incredible pair of shows just perfect.

Edited by Rhi_K

Also worth mentioning that I have spoken to many people since Mondays show who have been to dozens of previous shows across many tours who have said these are the best they have ever seen :)

Okei, then I think I will just relax and dont Get in line to early to head for the rail. I have been to all the last tours, and have always been in the red sone or heart, but then we have qued for 6-8 hours. It is so cool to could see my stars AS Close AS possible, but if I can come AS Close AS you tell without Queing I think I will go for your advise and head for a spot south side towards there catwalk going over to the e-stage. As I could see from your pictures you where really Close without being at the rail. But how far back do you have to stay to see the screen?

You can see the screen from 2/3 deep if you tip your head up!  We found that most people stepped back a bit when the screen was on, which made it easier to see, and then forward again when they were on the catwalk. I went to Madison Square Garden and was in seating, so had seen the screen (which is awesome!!) and this time just wanted to get as close as I could - I think we were really lucky and were able to experience the best of everything because everyone in South side around us were just so friendly/moved around together.  People went off to get drinks and were able to get straight back in to the spaces they were in, no elbowing for spaces which I have found at other concerts.  I guess us U2 fans are just a thoroughly decent bunch :)

Have a look at my album of pics for an idea of how close we were

https://flic.kr/s/aHskjxi7zg

Great, great pics!

Did night 1, my first U2 gig. I have never, ever cried at any gig before...that is, until With Or Without You got played. The best gig I've ever been to, and one of the best nights of my whole life. Plus I met padawanbeck84 in the GA line, that was fun. Here, have a shoddy blurry photo I took during The Miracle. Can't wait to experience it again one week from now!

I missed you Pete! I saw Beck too, we waved in the queue and stood next to her for the show, will you do any more?

Did night 1, my first U2 gig. I have never, ever cried at any gig before...that is, until With Or Without You got played. The best gig I've ever been to, and one of the best nights of my whole life. Plus I met padawanbeck84 in the GA line, that was fun. Here, have a shoddy blurry photo I took during The Miracle. Can't wait to experience it again one week from now!

I missed you Pete! I saw Beck too, we waved in the queue and stood next to her for the show, will you do any more?

Gonna do night 6 on Tuesday, probably not going to get there until just before/after doors open, because I've got uni during the day. Still, gotta live in hope...

Gonna do night 6 on Tuesday, probably not going to get there until just before/after doors open, because I've got uni during the day. Still, gotta live in hope...

Awesome! I think I've managed to get myself a ticket for 6, just waiting for confirmation, look me up on fb, it's Rhi K Adams :)

Did an A-Z of U2 @ O2 after the show on Sunday....awesomeness all round of course.... 

www.storiesfromthemoshpit.com/gig-archive/262-u2-london-o2-arena-october-25th-2015

:)

Nice rundown! Sorry to hear about the whiny kid. During Zooropa this girl who looked about my age and someone who must have been her dad pushed their way down to the spot next to me, only for the girl to very rudely start mouthing off while Bono was talking before One started.  :rolleyes:

Did anyone who bought tickets originally from AXS find that they were at opposite end to main stage compared to the AXS map? Friend who I got tickets for mentioned that instead of being near main stage as originally shown when tickets first went on sale, they were actually by B stage. Seem to remember others saying they found themselves at wrong end of arena to where they thought they would be.

I loved it all but must say meeting The Edge and Adam was absolutely amazing.

Sign in to follow this