Sign in to follow this  
U2Community

Been up on stage with the band at one of the shows this year?

It seems the U2 clique has spoken and delivered. Really, was there any need for a vote considering some of the winners.. As I've said, I don't mind the bands - they all seem to have talent - but I do object to those who simply want the kudos of looking good whilst holding a Meerkat cam!!!! 

I'm actually trying to sing it :P

it works in my head  :wub:

That is no justification at all  :o

I only know of 3 people who won. Who are the other 2? I'm assuming there were 5 winners since the poll asked for us to pick 5 people in our votes.

I only know of 3 people who won. Who are the other 2? I'm assuming there were 5 winners since the poll asked for us to pick 5 people in our votes.

Doesn't mean there were 5 "winners"....

the person i know who's a winner is a sweet girl and before anyone says i'm bound to say that cos i know her,we've not long known each other it's due to me knowing her fella.

Only really got to know her the last couple of months properly and queued with her in london and she's no diva.

granted it was a daft idea by U2 to run the whole shebang about who to get onstage again but hey U2 have always been about daft idea's and yep i'm jealous as fuck but hey ho

Doesn't mean there were 5 "winners"....

Oh, what do I know. We'll see Saturday. I won't. I don't have HBO. :\

the person i know who's a winner is a sweet girl and before anyone says i'm bound to say that cos i know her,we've not long known each other it's due to me knowing her fella.

Only really got to know her the last couple of months properly and queued with her in london and she's no diva.

granted it was a daft idea by U2 to run the whole shebang about who to get onstage again but hey U2 have always been about daft idea's and yep i'm jealous as fuck but hey ho

Where'd you get those cool shades Gibbo??? LOL ..hahahahahahahaha

I'm actually trying to sing it :P

it works in my head  :wub:

That is no justification at all  :o

You are right, I'll go stand in the corner for an hour  :wacko:

The whole key to this contest is what Bigwave said "It's a tv thing". I don't think it has anything to do with rewarding big fans or who is the most deserving. I also don't believe that the 5 winners were the top 5 vote getters. With Hamish Hamilton confirming that the HBO broadcast is all going to be night 3, this contest was all about casting a tv production. They chose 5 people to play roles in the production and let the fan base help decide who was cast.

I believe there are 2 reasons  for choosing people who have already been on stage. The obvious one is that these people have proved they won't cave under pressure, eliminating anything shocking happening during the performance. The other reason to have people chosen in advance is for legal reasons. The 5 winners will clearly sign off on having their likeness appear in the initial broadcast, as well as for all future uses, such as HBO repeated airings, international broadcasts and home video release. There has long been a rumor that the reason that Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around the World does not appear in the home video release of Zoo TV Sydney is because the girl invited on stage was underage and Bono gave her champagne to drink. If that's the reason, it has to all do with legal issues. Any winners will already have signed off and that will eliminate future issues.

I have heard of 4 of the 5 winners and I believe they were essentially cast, but based on votes. It was obvious that U2 wanted U2Brothr there, as both news articles about this contest featured him prominently, both as a dancer and as a musician. It was more than just a subliminal plant to voters. I have no doubt though, that he was one of the top receivers of votes. He is well known and liked among U2 fans. He was a great choice for the production because they can decide which role to use him in: Meercat dancer or musician for the song after the Meercat. I believe only 2 or 3 of the winners will actually go on stage. Jacob, the boy from San Jose for City of Blinding Lights, was a winner and I don't necessarily believe he was one of the top 5 to receive votes. I believe he was the top person for his role: boy for COBL, so I believe he will go onstage for sure, unless the winner I don't know of won also for that role.

The biggest competition is for the Meercat dancer. As I mentioned before, Mark (U2Brothr) can be the dancer or the musician. He is the most multi purpose person that was on the vote list. If the winner I haven't heard about is a musician, then they could use that person to play and Mark for dancer. If Mark is used as a musician, then it frees up the dancer spot for the 2-3 other winners. This is why I believe only 2 or 3 are going on stage. They chose extra people in case someone doesn't make it in time and allowing them to figure things out prior to Saturday's show. They have a safety net in place for the 2 or 3 roles in this production.

Edited by Halup

I think you're referring to Amra and she may be a lovely girl but - and taking her out of this - I think anyone who has been on the e-stage once should step aside and let someone else go up. It's a once in a lifetime chance to get on stage with the band and I think those who have experienced the high should be more gracious and let others enjoy the spotlight too. I'm talking here about Meerkat dancers, often chosen simply because they look good and push themselves forward to 'be seen' with the band. We each make personal choices and I think it's a great way of sharing the love amongst other U2 fans to step aside and say 'it's your turn'. Maybe I'm being naive but it's how I feel and what I would do.

I've no issues with musicians, like Mark Baker (U2BRTHR) and his band or other musicians - they clearly have a talent that rises above aesthetics. 

The fact that U2.com has created a competition out of this is crazy. As you say Amra might be a lovely person and I can see she's travelled a lot to see the band but then so have others, or some haven't got that luxury and would have loved the opportunity she has had (twice, or 3 times I think) just to be up on stage the one time in their own city. 

Hello Where can we see the results please ?

There are no results posted anywhere. Only winners were notified by e-mail. Results got out through facebook posts and twitter feeds of the winners. U2Brother got an email yesterday morning and was known pretty quickly. I suspect this is due to the sheer number of folks who follow him.

Amra was the second I heard about, again through social media feeds. The only other I know about is Jacob from San Jose. He isn't on social media, but his parents are.

Without getting into the format of having folks who already had a chance another chance, I think it was attrocious to not post results or at least notify those who did not win. I'm pretty sure folks who were in the running were tearing their hair out waiting for any word on results long after the winners had already been notified. I get that they had to confirm winners before results became official, but there was really no effort to let people off the hook. Folks were likely stressing over the results long after the winners knew.

Here's what I think. I have been on stage once this tour, and was pulled up the same night as Mark Baker, whom I know because we are from the same town and we are part of the Toronto fan group. He is a lovely guy, and I have absolutely no problem with him winning this (and it is so OBVIOUS that he was officially endorsed for this).  I congratulate all of the other contestants too and have no hard feelings towards them.  

What bothers me about all of this is that there was a contest at all.  I am wholly convinced that this was a pre-determined cast, and the whole contest was staged.  But even if that is not the case, to have a popularity contest amongst fans, and to make them compete against each other is not a nice thing to do.  It causes a lot of false hope, stress (I was sweating and shaking and queasy for about 48 hours worrying about it) and disappointment.  If they want to have certain TV friendly,  known entities on stage, that is totally fine and sensible, and their prerogative.  If they had just phoned up these fans and put them on stage as a surprise I'd have been fine and excited for them.   What is NOT fine is to pretend that this was actually contest based on votes. The whole thing was completely unnecessary in my opinion. Not very "we're one" in spirit.  I wish the winners well....let's hope they do a great job, have the time of their lives, and appreciate how lucky they are. :-)

Here's what I think. I have been on stage once this tour, and was pulled up the same night as Mark Baker, whom I know because we are from the same town and we are part of the Toronto fan group. He is a lovely guy, and I have absolutely no problem with him winning this (and it is so OBVIOUS that he was officially endorsed for this).  I congratulate all of the other contestants too and have no hard feelings towards them.  

What bothers me about all of this is that there was a contest at all.  I am wholly convinced that this was a pre-determined cast, and the whole contest was staged.  But even if that is not the case, to have a popularity contest amongst fans, and to make them compete against each other is not a nice thing to do.  It causes a lot of false hope, stress (I was sweating and shaking and queasy for about 48 hours worrying about it) and disappointment.  If they want to have certain TV friendly,  known entities on stage, that is totally fine and sensible, and their prerogative.  If they had just phoned up these fans and put them on stage as a surprise I'd have been fine and excited for them.   What is NOT fine is to pretend that this was actually contest based on votes. The whole thing was completely unnecessary in my opinion. Not very "we're one" in spirit.  I wish the winners well....let's hope they do a great job, have the time of their lives, and appreciate how lucky they are. :-)

completely agree with you , .... my wife was on stage the 14th oct and still waiting for result.... is that finished ???

Very well-said. I was also pulled up once on this tour (the night after you and Mark, in fact -- I played guitar on Angel of Harlem/AIWIY), but I decided not to enter the contest. A large part of my decision stemmed from having several university-related commitments early next week that I simply couldn't afford to jeopardize on the teensy tiny off-chance that I might get selected to go to Paris. Unease over the nature of the competition itself, however, also factored into my decision quite significantly. Don't get me wrong: I think it's a really cool gesture, and I'm delighted for the winners. I just think the whole thing could have been handled very differently.

The whole point of the stage design on this tour is to break down barriers between the fans and the band, to bring us all together, to put an end to divisiveness... "There is no them, there's only us," and all that jazz. A competition that pits fans against one other sort of flies in the face of that message; it creates division where there was little division previously. One of the many things that has made this particular tour so exciting (especially from the perspective of someone who had been dreaming about playing guitar with the band for fifteen years) was the feeling that it could be any of us up there if we were able to put in the time in the GA line. Sure, a few folks have been pulled up on stage multiple times this tour, but at least it was still spontaneous when it happened, and at least there was no social media/popularity contest involved.

I really hope that someone new gets pulled up on Saturday in addition to the repeat performers. It would be unlikely, given that the show is being recorded for TV, but I think it would be a nice gesture to local European fans who might only be able to attend that one show and no others. I know I'd personally feel pretty uncomfortable getting up there again on Saturday if I knew that no one else in the audience would even have a shot at fulfilling their dreams of playing/dancing/whatever with the band. It's different when you're all on an equal playing field.

All seems pretty petty now doesn't it

Yeah, the bickering that went on over this whole thing does seem a bit petty now, in retrospect. However we may have felt about the idea of dividing fans and making them compete against one another for a once-in-a-lifetime shot of being immortalized on film with the band, recent events really re-emphasize just how incredibly lucky we are that they do this at all. Pulling a fan up on stage is risky even when we're NOT taking potential security issues into account. So many things could go wrong up there... The fan could freeze and spoil the momentum, could throw up all over the stage, could fall off the stage, could slip from Bono's fingers whilst being spun about, and so on. The fact that U2 have brought so many different people up to interact with them so consistently on this tour, despite the myriad possible risks involved, speaks not only to their generosity, but to their fearlessness, too. If additional legs are added to this tour (fingers crossed for that!), I hope they keep it up. :) It is such an honour and a privilege to share the stage with them.

Edited by svdl2012

All seems pretty petty now doesn't it

Yeah, the bickering that went on over this whole thing does seem a bit petty now, in retrospect. However we may have felt about the idea of dividing fans and making them compete against one another for a once-in-a-lifetime shot of being immortalized on film with the band, recent events really re-emphasize just how incredibly lucky we are that they do this at all. Pulling a fan up on stage is risky even when we're NOT taking potential security issues into account. So many things could go wrong up there... The fan could freeze and spoil the momentum, could throw up all over the stage, could fall off the stage, could slip from Bono's fingers whilst being spun about, and so on. The fact that U2 have brought so many different people up to interact with them so consistently on this tour, despite the myriad possible risks involved, speaks not only to their generosity, but to their fearlessness, too. If additional legs are added to this tour (fingers crossed for that!), I hope they keep it up. :) It is such an honour and a privilege to share the stage with them.

Hey Folks, I would have wrote what i did, about people getting a grip, before the Paris tragedy, I just happened to fall on this topic after.... I had'nt been checking out the Zoo much lately, if I had before Friday I would have wrote the same thing.... I can't believe people whinning so much about something like that... talk about a 1st world problem ... I think it has to do with the U2 fan base getting really old, bunch of Grumpy Old Men & Ladies lollll :P .... I don't see people doing that ''back in the day'' of their 20's & early 30's .... then again, I could be wrong, it's been known to happen  ;)  Cheers!!  

59927860_zpsmb4ucxmx.jpg

Agreed. Of course after the events in Paris the whole subject seems insignificant but it doesn't escape the fact that it was a completely unnecessary and silly idea - not sure who thought of it but it wasn't his / her finest hour! The main thing is that, hopefully, everyone who was heading to Paris made it back safely - regardless of whether I or anyone else thinks they should be there. 

Edited by markrice

Sign in to follow this