Sign in to follow this  
Max Tsukino

Belfast Shows 1 And 2 #U2ieTour Reviews + Comments Thread

What Was Your Favourite Song(s) Of Each Night?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Your favourite song(s) of Show 1? Please choose up to 3 (three) songs...

• The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)
    • The Electric Co.
    • Vertigo
    • I Will Follow
    • Iris (Hold Me Close)
    • Cedarwood Road
    • Song For Someone
    • Sunday Bloody Sunday
    • Raised By Wolves
    • Until The End Of The World
    • Invisible
    • Even Better Than The Real Thing
    • Mysterious Ways
    • Elevation
    • The Sweetest Thing
    • Every Breaking Wave
    • October
    • Bullet The Blue Sky
    • Zooropa
    • Where The Streets Have No Name
    • Pride (In The Name Of Love)
    • With Or Without You
    • City Of Blinding Lights
    • Beautiful Day
    • Mother And Child Reunion (snippet) / One
  2. 2. Your favourite song(s) of Show 2? Please choose up to 3 (three) songs...

• The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)
    • Out of Control
    • Vertigo
    • I Will Follow
    • Iris (Hold Me Close)
    • Cedarwood Road
    • Song For Someone
    • Sunday Bloody Sunday
    • Raised By Wolves
    • Until The End Of The World
    • Invisible
    • Even Better Than The Real Thing
    • Mysterious Ways
    • Desire
    • Angel of Harlem
    • Every Breaking Wave
    • October
    • Bullet The Blue Sky
    • Zooropa
    • Where The Streets Have No Name
    • Pride (In The Name Of Love)
    • With Or Without You
    • City Of Blinding Lights
    • Beautiful Day
    • Mother And Child Reunion (snippet) / Bad
    • "40"

Where you there in any of these nights?

Which were you highlights?

Please share your impressions (either if you were there or if you were following the shows online), your photos and your videos with the community...

Thanks!!!

What Was Your Favourite Song(s) Of Each Night?

Fan Reviews #U2ieTour poll Belfast

Was at the second night and enjoyed it as ever. Similar set list to Glasgow 2, which I was also at but good to get Out of Control. Delighted to get Bad/40 again too.

Was glad to be able to take in more of the show this time, as I was a lot more sober than in Glasgow... :)

Invisible is a real highlight. A grower of a song - one of their best for a while - but very well done live with the screen interaction. Plus I love Larry's little wave to the crowd behind him towards the end of the song.

Good to notice things like these a second time around - Bono's little "there is not them...there's only us" dance moves as well.... :)

Got good views of the guys at various times on the walkway and a real treat to be so up close to them.

I just thought at times the crowd wasn't as into it as I would have thought. I think the high ticket prices maybe made for a more sedate crowd and they only came alive really for the "biggies" like Streets and Pride. Not many band t-shirts about, put it that way....

A minor gripe, though. Great show and great to see the guys in a venue like that as opposed to the usual stadiums.

Well, what can ya say...really....without doubt the best U2 performance I have ever seen. They were tight, they were polished, they absolutely failed to disappoint in any department.

Night 1 in Belfast will be etched in my mind for as long as my brain remembers etchings.

I waxed lyrical about my New York experience earlier in the year, but here they were, the band you have followed since your musical consciousness was old enough to appreciate good music, in yer back yard ....well, almost.

Belfast had been 18 years in the making, and the experience of seeing them perform 25 miles from your house, well as they say during 'The Fly' , blazoned across the screens, even since the days of ZOOTV - "It's very simple."

Just a 25 min train journey from home to Belfast to meet the wife to take in our 2nd show of 2015.

I pass the SSE daily by car going to and from work, and the excitement had been building certainly for the previous 48 hrs as I noticed the trucks starting to roll into the Titanic quarter area of Belfast....like a kid in a sweetie shop I was....this was actually happening.

After hopping off the train , across Great Victoria Street the world famous Crown Bar for a couple of pints before meeting up with the 'other half' - our room booked in the 'Cathedral quarter', some dinner in 'The Whig' - then a short walk across the Lagan River to meet my brother and sister n law (who were staying in the Titanic quarter area) which has become kinda customary when U2 play in Ireland. But ....this was Belfast, the caterpillar turned butterfly, the ugly duckling turned swan, a city whose past is so well documented that sometimes the residents of it have sometimes had cause to cringe at their own impasse. Indeed the wider residents of a country north and south likewise at our own impasse.

I almost felt proud walking across the Lagan footbridge  - hell no, I felt very proud - the SSE lit up as a symbol of change, a city where 30 - 35 years earlier few big name acts had a desire to visit - too dangerous they said - perhaps they were right. One not so big act visited though, some band from 'the south', some band called U2 - it wasn't 'too dangerous' for them back then - and they were back.

The show didn't dissappoint, the venue just right - there would be no bad seat in the house this night, the band so close to the audience that you could almost reach out and touch them from row Z , but a venue large enough to allow the full 'Innocence and Experience' tour machine to be presented to an audience the band had relied heavily upon in their formative years, an audience that most times would make that short trek to Dublin on previous tours, they wanted the band here, and from the off, you could see the band really wanted to be here too! A venue large enough to create a rousing welcome - we welcomed the band on stage.

The usual opening - then BOOM! - Electric CO.......the tone for the evening was set, it was going to be some ride.

And it was.

Belfast humour in a clip I've subsequently seen...." so what's your name?' Bono asks the young woman plucked from the crowd - "Theresa" she replies, - "we're you from Theresa" asks Bono....wagg in the audience shouts "Donegal Road!"....only in Belfast. Well, Italy's close. ;)

The setlist - well, if you've followed the tour, you kinda knew what you were gonna get. Audience reception like I have never heard. Highlights for me included....well, hard to pick one, we just got involved in every song, shutting up for Every Breaking Wave and October, well....it would have been rude to sing over Bono, wouldn't it? :)

Notable mentions though to I Will Follow, Until the End of The World, Elevation, Bullet, Streets, With or Without You.....so wonderful to hear 'Zooropa' blend into 'streets' - "when we refuse to hate, because we know that love will do a better job," said Bono. How true.

'With or Without You' - when we got our 'shine like the stars' moment - blessed were the peacemakers indeed - Bono looked a man visibly pumped up and taking their pre encore initial accolades and applause - a four piece band that looked like they had had a thoroughly great experience themselves to that point.

'Ole, Ole, Ole, Ole,' rang out.

It's written in the stars that I am never to hear 'Bad' performed live, but you know what? - after Wednesday night I'm not sure that I care anymore. A truly memorable night and so privileged to have been a part of it.

A stadium lit in Red, White and Blue - our thoughts to the citizens of France. 

Just home from Belfast 2 , well in 31 years of following the band last night was right up there in terms of quality of performance, atmosphere and lasting memory. I'm glad I chose this venue to watch the show. I'd almost forgotten how good they are live in a smaller venue , I saw them at Wembley for 360 but there was just no intimacy as there was light night.

So many highlights but if I have to pick a few - angel of Harlem, bad/40 incredible, the opening of the show with out of control, I will follow is just pulsating, still love Pride and the Bullett / Zooropa / Streets arrangement is superb.

Met some really nice people too, great to share the night with the people of Belfast and further afield.

Hope to make Dublin 4th night now.

Edited by Timk68

My first time to see the band perform indoors and nothing comes close to what I experienced last night. It was unforgettable & unbelievable in equal amounts. The place was electric and what a 1st 4 song salvo. I was hoping for Electric Co, but knowing it was played the 1st night I knew it wouldn't happen again but I won't complain.

Had a brilliant spot in the Southside MGZ and met a couple of very decent guys in there who made the waiting before the show started fly in. Best wishes to Frank  from Glasgow and the English lad from Yorkshire ( I think) Cheers lad and stay safe.

Edited by martymc

Somebody shouted Bono they were from Derry and Bono mentioned it and seemed really pleased. Was a nice moment.

Somebody shouted Bono they were from Derry and Bono mentioned it and seemed really pleased. Was a nice moment.

I forgot about that - yeah was nice name check for my proud city.

OMG I was at both gigs in Belfast, been at every tour since kings hall for Joshua tree and boy did they rock Belfast!! Night 1 was amazing however night 2 for me topped all only 2nd to first night in Slane. Too many highlights to mention however Out of Control, Pride, Invisible, Streets and then my perfect end Bad followed by 40 will live forever in my memory! When I heard those first chords of Bad I literally burst into tears and that was me right thro until they finally disappeared down the steps at the B stage

Fans in my hometown were AMAZING!!!

Roll on Dublin 4 xxx

Dublin you don't realise what is going to hit you! Just hold your breath and enjoy it! :D

Great reviews guys, glad we all echo the same sentiment. I think the (and it's a strange word to use) intimacy of the SSE added to the experience. I was really taken by the bands clear thrill, smiles and expressions at the end of With or Without You on Wednesday night as in this clip - I'm certain Thursday night was equally brilliant if not better. But I mean what I say in that I don't care if I never hear 'Bad' live - this weeks experience has been truly tops, and it will be hard to surpass I'm thinking - ever! - in my book. :)

And there is something about this tour, like you say maybe it's the intimacy but something feels different, like a mutual appreciation not just between to band but with the audience and they do seem so happy and enjoying it so much:)

And there is something about this tour, like you say maybe it's the intimacy but something feels different, like a mutual appreciation not just between to band but with the audience and they do seem so happy and enjoying it so much:)

Yeah, think you're right. This is honestly the best version of 'Elevation' I've heard since Slane. It's a song I'd lost really, then this happened. :) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjga_adR3zc

Yeahhhhhh! That made me smile from ear to ear! The Bono and Larry bit with their hair was such a giggle! Love 'em. Some 35 years on from that energic mass of hair bouncing around like loose electricity, Bono is still in love with the camera and his audience. Just brilliant.

Thanks for the vid, will be watching that again:)))

Thanks Bigwave, I can't understand what is wrong with me but it's not so much I'm lost for words Its more I keep filling up and bursting in to tears every time I think back to the two nights! I think I just had so much raw emotion at finally seeing 'my family U2' back on stage in my home town and the fact that they were even more amazing, fun, intimate and bloody RAW than I had dreamed of and maybe also the fact I was standing right in front of them at the B stage that I've now become an emotional wreck! I'm going to last night in Dublin so I think by Sunday I may be needing shares in Kleenex!!! Lol god I just love each and every one of them for what they can do to my soul with their songs. I also discovered even at 46 I can still rock with the best of them when I hear those chords of I Will Follow you just be transported back to your youth!!

Roll on Dublin - you are seriously in for a hell,of a party !!! I think Bono will be in tears as he nearly went a couple of times in Belfast!!!

Its almost a week since I started packing for a visit to see the #U2ieTour Belfast shows. A relatively short (but bouncy) ride on a wee plane over the Irish Sea.. Planned a while back, intention initially was to go to Show 2 and be there in good time to take in a bit of the atmosphere after Night 1..

That plan changed, as many plans had changed, in the context of what had happened in Paris less than a week before this.
The ‘chaos of Paris’ that was to turn into the ‘peace of Belfast’ still very much an unimagined uncertainty in that interval between the 2 city tour visits. Still shocked, confused, one feeling rose to the surface, a determination to be in that room the next time People Have The Power kicked in signifying we were moments away from the start of the next show.

Business as usual. Not because of the Paris attacks. In spite of them. The show really must go on.

In parts, Belfast looks and feels a bit like my home city in England. In parts it looks and feels really like no other city I have ever been to.* Growing up hearing about the Troubles via British TV, not really understanding anything other that it seemed like a pretty dangerous place to live in. Not somewhere you would think of going to deliberately, unless you got sent there as a soldier in the Army (which some of my schoolfriends had indeed done). Those daily dangerous times in Belfast are in the past now. A fragile past, still searching for full reconciliation and justice, but as I began to understand as I met and talked to people who live there, a past that there is real desire to move away from. Into a peaceful future.

A wet and windswept walk from my friendly & homely B&B to the SSE Arena, through the city centre, across the river, southside to northside… a nervous energy that precedes any U2 show heightened by the realisation that this is about to happen. The #U2ieTour is home on Irish soil.

Security understandabley that bit extra switched on. A long queue to get in, but no real hassle. Here. Present. Familiar faces at the e-stage. Hugs. Chat. Anticipation.
No photo taking for me tonight. Full focus to try and take every moment in. Use the eyes and ears as the camera lens to snapshot the key moments. Be in the moment.

The arena is probably one of the smallest of the tour, but perfectly formed for the production. Any seat a great seat, floor packed but still a bit of elbow room. Friends at the e-stage said to try to see the whole show from there, which I had not done yet, so I took their advice and parked my frame about 4 deep on Larry’s side.

A white scarf was worn in solidarity with the #whiteoutbelfast #strongerthanfear fan initiative that had gained real momentum via social media and the local press, and as I looked around I saw many other fans had donned something white too.

U2 friends agree with me - a U2 show starts the moment you enter the arena, the nuts and bolts of it, the audience filling up, the crew on view tweaking the setup right until the last moments, its all part of the experience.

We all wondered how Bono was going to address the Paris attacks. It wasn’t a matter of if, but how, and when within the show. The haters would be ready to criticise any mistimed quote or reference I am sure. Pretty sure too that was on every fans’ mind also. And the band’s.

‘The most beautiful sound I ever heard’ goes the lyric to The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone). Never more true. The first chords of ‘business as usual’ bite deep after the rousing Bono solo intro whoah-oh-oh’s that get us all straight into singing mode. Invisible wall between performer and audience cracked open before a note is played or a cymbal crashed. Genius.

From my chosen GA spot I found myself looking around at the crowd right from the early songs. Checking out how quickly they were getting into it. And truth be told part of me did at times think some awful shit about what went down in Paris. A part of me was very much on guard. So much even I think someone asked me if I was part of Security. Laughs. Insecurity more like it. Whether we liked it on not, intentionally, unintentionally, we were all there as part of an act of defiance against fear. Stronger than it for real. As any trepidations fell away during the opening 4 numbers (including A Gloria-snippeted cracking version of The Electric Co), deep breath to hear how the singer handles the intros…

"What’s going on?" he asks. “A lot" he answers himself.. "since the last time we were here”. “You are heroes to us…its great to be back in the HEART of Belfast”. Job 1 done Mr Hewson.

Having been to a few shows, its great fun to listen & look out around you as #U2ieTour first-timers who have no idea what is coming react to the start of the more theatrical elements that begin with Iris. Arms point to the screen, ears are shouted into about how thats Bono’s mother up there. When the ladder drops and he disappears into the screen, and then emerges for the first verse of Cedarwood Road… well remember the first time you saw that. Still jaws drop and some actual joyful screams just behind me… we are all transported to the street across from Cedarwood Road, looking over, up to this technicolour wondrous re-creation of a man’s childhood memories. It really is like a en-masse shared dream playing out in 3D in front of your face.

I am reminded as Act 1 plays out, of the sections this show has, Part 1 the full on rock club bit, getting the adrenaline flowing, then that screen being used so theatrically helping to deliver the Songs Of Innocence - causing the crowd to respond in a different manner. There is so much going on you want to try to capture as much as you can of course… a real sense of wonder and amazement overcomes.

Sam strapping the marching drum on to Larry and the musical drone snapped by the crack of the snare signals the intro to Sunday Bloody Sunday. Fucking electric chills. Heart stopping.
The visuals have been changed specifically for Belfast. Oliver Jeffers and the Willie Williams crew have been busy this week its clear… A virtual journey is taken through the re-created, re-imagined gable end wall murals that adorn this city. Both Republican and Loyalist scenes are painted in equal measure on-screen. The odd ones of hope and peace standing out somehow more defiantly than the ones of pride and honour.

So we are here in the middle of a rock and roll show when the ear-splitting, eye-searing simulation of Registration 1385-WZ explodes. In the heart of Belfast. (No sign off the feared riot some local politician had predicted by the way). Raised by Wolves had been played live 70 times up until this night. More like rehearsed 70 times for this night. Performance #71 of it nailed to the mast of the Titanic exhibition (just down the road..) This ship ain’t going down though..

The end graphics to Wolves was also changed to highlight some of the many other atrocities that have fallen on Ireland throughout the Troubles,. Atrocities done by both sides, always ending up with many innocent victims. ‘Let Them Not Be Forgotten’ ‘Rest In Peace’ fade out to the COMFORT ME cries and choppy guitar syncopations that deliver ‘Until The End Of The World’, to close out Act 1.

Complete sensory overload. I am rooted. Its like being in someone else dream… I say again. But I am as wide awake as I ever have been. Feels a bit like just after the time I helped deliver my own baby boy (not through choice!), in the bathroom of our home, the scariest time in my whole life, followed by the most massive feeling of relief when the paramedics arrived and told me him and his mother were going to be ok…

This does not feel like near the end of a Tour. It feels like it just got born. Again. Baby. In the bathtub of Belfast.

* An exception to that would be that my visit to the separation wall that still exists between the Falls Road and the Shankhill Road did look a lot like the separation wall that exists around the city of Bethlehem and endlessly stretches through the rest of Israel / Palestine

Ah Bigwave - nice review. Sounds like you must have been on a Flybe flight into Belfast City airport?  :) ....honestly, the slightest hint of wind and those prop engines bounce around a little.

This for the bullet through the lighbulb moment when Bono has Edge in the palm of his hand. Forever ingrained.

I

U2 friends agree with me - a U2 show starts the moment you enter the arena, the nuts and bolts of it, the audience filling up, the crew on view tweaking the setup right until the last moments, its all part of the experience.

Never a truer word said Bigwave. For this show it started for me about 48hrs earlier, taking a slight detour on my way home from work at night - just checking things out and ensuring the trucks were arriving and this venue was not just a dream I'd been reading about elsewhere. ;)

My French Flag on stage at Belfast on 19 November 2015 !!!! (but lost for the good cause... :))

I was with a friend in Belfast on the 19 November 2015, almost 2 weeks ago already! That was my 16th concert of the band since the first one I attended in Paris (hippodrome de Vincennes) on 26th of June... 1993! I absolutely wanted to see a concert of this tour in Ireland, aiming first at Dublin's venue, but I could "only" get tickets for Belfast. That was actually a great opportunity to discover a new city, as I already experienced the band in 2009 at Croke Park. After a quite long trip summing up train to Francfort airport + plane to Dublin + bus to Belfast, we could make it on time to get our MGZ ticket at the desk around 18:00. I was actually not expecting to be so close to the stage! We were early enough to make some irish friends while waiting for the show (and having a few beers), discovering some unknown things from the country. While the concert was about to start, I took my French flag out of my pocket, with the intention to honor the memory of the victims of the attacks in Paris 6 days before (I am French). A security guy came to inform that the policy for the night was no flag... which made me a bit sad. Anyway. Then the concert started and I could enjoy one of the best experience ever, since I had never been so close to the band. I had always been in stadium, far away from the stage. What a unique experience already!!! Then, while we were approaching the end  of the concert, U2 started to play "City of Blinding Lights", and at the same the concert hall was lighted in Blue, White and Red, a reference to France and the recent sad events. My Irish neighbors (and new friends) invited to wave my French flag, which sounded quite fair. As we were very close to the stage, Bono could see us... and here it comes: he asked to get my French flag on stage, which he got! He even played Bad with my flag on his heart.... I can tell that I had never been so proud... pictures and videos will be kept forever on my side for remembering this moment.

My only regret is that the security did not let me get the flag back after the concert. My dream would have been to gather it, but I have not found any way to get my dream become true, since there is no way to write directly to the band... I now hope that this message will get at some point in the hands of Bono or one of his mates...

Matthiou

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwOn8Cd4x38

Edited by Matthiou

Sign in to follow this