Sign in to follow this  
phill pohl

Props v simple stage show

I did enjoy the ie shows and the 360 but feel the shows are getting less enjoyable every tour .This is coming from someone who loves their music so much its virtually all i listen too.I find with these long walkways etc  there is part s of the show you feel out of. and flat.The atmosphere is nothing like the shows of a decade ago when it was deafening which only really happened after 1 or 2 songs this time. This was brought home after watching the stereophonics in leeds on saturday, i am, no great fan i only like a couple of their songs its the partner who likes them but the show blew u2s out of the water .Just a simple traditional stage and they played exactly what their fans wanted to hear.The atmosphere was electric like u2s shows of the past so much so i am trying to get further tickets for birmingham on fri.This is coming from someone who does not own any of their records .Forget big screens and gadgets what most people want is the music and atmosphere.I find these big shows look better on video than actually being there.On saturday there was very few bell ends holding phones up i believe on previous nights the singer had a rant at people for not enjoying the moment.I think u2s idea of being closer to the audience and having enormous screens actually makes them at times feel more detached.If shows continue to be like this and was given a choice of concerts i would pick the stereophonics as it was brilliant in comparison and i never imagined i would ever say that.Some people love the band so much it wouldnt matter what they played or how badly they actually played they would never admit it or even actually notice.Sat was the best gig i have ever been to despite hardly knowing many of the songs and seen hundreds of bands including u2 dozens of times and to think i only went because of the wife.Just my opinion and guess some people wont like it but just saying it as i found it.

I get your point, I agree :  the I+E tour is U2's most staged, boring and tired tour yet....

I have the opposite reaction. I think the fact that every tour has a specific look, feel, setlist, etc., sort of gives it a uniqueness. I remember specific tours because they were specific, focused things whereas, as much as I love Pearl Jam, all of their concerts bleed together over the years, since they all are just end stage, freeform things. I've been seeing less shows when it is just a GA floor and an end stage for that reason, instead seeing bands that put on a show like U2, Muse, etc.

As for feeling detached, I think that is only the case for people who queue up and rush to the end stage, like that is still meant to be the hub of activity. For people on the rest of the floor, the rest of the lower bowl, and the upper levels, they have all been brought in closer to the band.

Ultimately, though, it doesn't matter, since this is the show U2 want to put on, with everything from the big light bulb to the massive screen coming directly from the band.

Hey Phill, just wondering if you saw that Stereophonics concert in a smaller venue than an arena? (U2 in arenas)..... I ask 'cause I have done GA for U2 on 3 tours & seen them in seats as well for those same shows (not good seats but not bad either) (I have done all tours since '83) and I can tell you there is a world of difference between when you are close up to the band, or in mid to far seats... I agree that this tour the atmosphere is more laid back, especially the 1st half of the show because of the order & choice of songs, re. type of songs on SOI etc...... maybe those points have a lot to do with why you feel about them in concert last little while.

Anyways, I think w. the Songs of Experience album & tour it will be quite different, more intense/rock/closer to the older U2 type shows... then again I could be wrong ;)   

I get your point, I agree :  the I+E tour is U2's most staged, boring and tired tour yet....

What exactly makes it staged, boring and tired? Would you say it was more staged, boring and tired than 360*? 

Edited by Kristaps

Were you able to attend a gig this tour? Sorry, I might be confusing you with someone else but I think I remember you saying that unfortunately you weren't able to see them this tour.

I'm only bringing it up because I feel that could be affecting your opinion - Before I saw I+E in Glasgow I had been following the gigs through periscope and mixlr and there were a few songs that didn't really blow my mind (however overall I thought it was great). But it was a completely different experience seeing it live! For example, Raised by Wolves left me a bit cold but live I have to say it was incredible. Easily one of my favourite songs in the set. Especially with the new songs there was so much emotion that you could see particularly on Bono's face which definitely added to the song - something I didn't fully appreciate when I was viewing it on periscope.

I also agree that where you sit or stand during the gigs will have a big impact on your overall experience, as mentioned earlier.

This tour has a very strict structure but I don't really see how that is a bad thing. Personally I like the fact that the set list tells a story and there's structure and that they've clearly spent ages rehearsing it. I absolutely love the screen/cage - it's something new and fresh, I think it's great that U2 are trying out new things. And surely that's always been their thing, experimenting and doing something a bit unusual? It's not just about the music, there's always a bit extra. However I can understand that some people do prefer a more "traditional" structure for gigs, fair enough. It's all personal preferences but my opinion is that this tour has been fantastic and the stage layout allowed loads more people to be really close to the band, which I think was great.

Were you able to attend a gig this tour? Sorry, I might be confusing you with someone else but I think I remember you saying that unfortunately you weren't able to see them this tour.

I'm only bringing it up because I feel that could be affecting your opinion - Before I saw I+E in Glasgow I had been following the gigs through periscope and mixlr and there were a few songs that didn't really blow my mind (however overall I thought it was great). But it was a completely different experience seeing it live! For example, Raised by Wolves left me a bit cold but live I have to say it was incredible. Easily one of my favourite songs in the set. Especially with the new songs there was so much emotion that you could see particularly on Bono's face which definitely added to the song - something I didn't fully appreciate when I was viewing it on periscope.

I also agree that where you sit or stand during the gigs will have a big impact on your overall experience, as mentioned earlier.

This tour has a very strict structure but I don't really see how that is a bad thing. Personally I like the fact that the set list tells a story and there's structure and that they've clearly spent ages rehearsing it. I absolutely love the screen/cage - it's something new and fresh, I think it's great that U2 are trying out new things. And surely that's always been their thing, experimenting and doing something a bit unusual? It's not just about the music, there's always a bit extra. However I can understand that some people do prefer a more "traditional" structure for gigs, fair enough. It's all personal preferences but my opinion is that this tour has been fantastic and the stage layout allowed loads more people to be really close to the band, which I think was great.

The first half of the show until the intermissions is, thematically, (in my opinion) one of the best sets of any U2 show in decades (excluding mini-sets of 2,3 songs). With the exception of Vertigo, you're taken through Bono's and the bands childhood and formative years. Each song tells a story and takes you through their INNOCENCE years. Except for Vertigo, there're no out of place Beautiful Day, or COBL, or One included in the Innocence set. If Songs of Experience (if we'll ever see it :D) comes out and is about the experiences of life, imagine what a great show U2 could put on if they manage to make the EXPERIENCE set just as tight. 

Following The Claw, I didn't think that U2 would be able to innovate more that they did with The Claw. I mean, how do you top a frigging 50m tall spaceship in a packed arena show. But they did.... Sure, it's just a giant screen at a glance, but the band uses it in ways that no one else, as far as I know, has done it before. It's not just there to show the band and pretty visuals. It's the Berlin Wall during "The Fly", it's Bono's childhood street during "Cederwood Road", it's a stage within a screen during Invisible and EBTTRT. And with the very long catwalk you have the band entertaining and interacting with not just the front rows, but also people in the middle and people at the back of the arena. 

U2 doesn't do rock concerts anymore. They do shows.

They should set up in Las Vegas since they are all about the flash and the sizzle and with little or no variation in setlists.

I'd much prefer a straight ahead rock concert without all bells and whistles.

The music stands up by itself and doesnt need all the Vegas style flash.

I've been to every tour since Zoo TV and I loved this tour. The screen was probably the coolest thing I've ever seen at any concert ever. I loved every second of both shows that I attended. It was amazing and I'm so glad I got to see it live.

The complaints about the set list are pretty tired. I went to a lot of concerts this year for other bands including The Who, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Steeley Dan and Santana. In looking up all of their playlists from other cities, they had pretty much the same set list with only a few mods here or there but overall the same. And yet nobody is complaining about them like they have about U2. In that regard, perhaps periscope and meerkat are a curse rather than a blessing because people see similar shows each time they log in. Maybe people need to go back to not watching the live streams so they can be surprised when they find out at the show what the set list turns out to be. Maybe that would bring back some of the surprise.

I think the IE Tour was one of their best ever, and it actually makes me pretty sad to see people dissing it so much. I truly enjoyed my experience. It was wonderful. I'm sorry that some people didn't get the same joy in theirs.

This Tour was absolutely incredible, the intimacy of seeing the band so close and the screen visuals were just fantastic. Graphics and song sets and the flow of the show was just brilliant, yes there were scripted bits, i didnt get tired of it though, i followed it on Mixlr,Twitter,Periscope and Meerkat for 6 months and was pretty sad when it all ended. I only managed to go once and watch it live but the contributions on social media and apps made me feel part of the show many times over.

The work that must have gone into the tour was i imagine imense, i really hope they dont go back to stadiums as this was just an amazing experiance and i loved it.

Were you actually at any of the gigs? I actually experienced it in the flesh and it was the complete opposite of what you said.

Edited by peterferris8

Let's compare this tour's European leg with 360's first European leg. Just playlist, just dry numbers.

Number of shows:

• I+E: 40 shows played
  • 360: 24 shows played

Number of different songs played during these shows:

• I+E: 44 different songs played
  • 360: 35 different songs played

Number of albums represented:

• I+E: Songs from 15 U2 albums played
  • 360: Songs from 12 U2 albums played

Number of snippets:

• I+E: 67 different snippets played
  • 360: 57 different snippets played

Opening songs:

• I+E: The Miracle (of Joey Ramone), opened all shows
  • 360: Breathe, opened all shows

Closing songs:

• I+E: One, 40, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, People have the Power
  • 360: Moment of Surrender, closed all shows

Average Song Count per Show

• I+E: 25,38 (shortest 23 songs, longest 27 songs)
  • 360: 22,83 (shortest 22 songs, longest 24 songs)

Conclusion? Comparing first European leg of I+E and 360 tours we can see that I+E gets all the prizes except one (opening song.. that's a tie)... On average each show had more songs played, and playlist (both full songs and snippets) was more diverse. Also, unlike 360, I+E had diversity in the closing song. 

wanderer i saw them at leeds and u2 at the o2 which is a bit bigger but was in redzone.As for the first half of the show personally found the new stuff the least enjoyable especially song for someone i thought people were going to fall asleep.The biggest barometer is the crowd reaction so whilst a few of you liked it it fell really  flat for the majority .The fact is most people wanted to hear the older much better songs the noise level was up there during and after these songs.Everyone i spoke to felt the same , my misses isnt really  a fan but she loved the  vertigo tour was ok for 360 but wasnt keen this time and wont be coming again she said .I expected it to be so much better being my first indoor gig with u2 but without a doubt these gigs look better on tv  than being there even paul m said it about popmart but have to admit i actually loved that.Maybe i just prefer the traditional stage.

It is very interesting how much a crowd can make or break our own experience even with a long running band like U2. I was lucky to see this tour multiple times, and every time was surrounded by people who enjoyed the whole experience: songs / staging / setlist.

----J

After watching most of the HBO special (missed the first half), I'd say one of their most downbeat and depressing. Maybe being after the Paris attacks soured the mood, but the band doesn't seem to be enjoying themselves much at all.

Edited by Grande 3:16

After watching most of the HBO special (missed the first half), I'd say one of their most downbeat and depressing. Maybe being after the Paris attacks soured the mood, but the band doesn't seem to be enjoying themselves much at all.

Glad to see there's someone out-there who understands me without further explanations !!!

Sign in to follow this