Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alma1

What music are you listening to part 4

Been listening to this in the car for the last two days. Possibly one of my favourite ever setlists.

Been listening to  The Achtung Baby  FAT TRUCKLOAD from the Uber-DeLuxe....I'm crazy for it....Now PLaying   " Kindergarten " !!!

I'm pleasantly surprised by the fact that the Final Cut of Achtung Baby is RAWER and a lot more experimental than the  Alternative  " KIndergarten".....I LOVE this kind of U2 !!!!

I reckon "Kindergarten" One and Love is Blindness should be played live.

I'll have to say the Bass is Greasier and Fatter on the  ' Baby ' Zoo Station and Larry's build-up  to the main drum-breakout is mores sustained and the tension grows better also more effects by Flood .... On Baby EBTTRT the difference between the main riff and the bridge riff is slightly bigger thus enhancing Edge;s experimentation with Oriental Riffs, on the solo, Bono doesnt sing over the second half of it to my delight cause I love hearing that extended solo which blends perfectly with Anton's huge photos of U2 in FEz and in the Moroccan desert from the hardback book.....On One  Edge's guitar is less prominent, Daniel Lanois' guitar-intro is missing... on End of the world, the Mysterious Sound at the beginning is missing and no Sustained Power-Chords (Bono's guitar is in front) on the bridge... Edge's solo is more spacious and warmer and LOUDEr (can't explain ), at the chaotic part in the end, a section of "Lady With the spinning HEad" can be heard, slightly modified....on Horses...also No Mysterious Sounda at the beginning and Edge;s guitar is less abrasive ......different lyrics......different but not better...So Cruel - the same...The  Fly...- the rhythm section is pushed to the front - especially Adam's distorted techno-jazz-raggae bass-lines (hard to explain again)..Bono's playing with the lyrics and NO effect on Bono's voice !!!!  I forgot to say they put effect on Bono's voice on End of the world......A very playful, oriental take of MW, Edge's solo is longer which I'm very content for, arms around the world is interesting, the final version is definitely better....on Ultraviolet it's on par with the album version, there's more power-chords and Bono's mysterious falsetto at the beginning is missing......Acrobat-the  rhythm section is the star again with a Warmer and Louder solo by Edge...more spacious which leaves room for Larry and Adam to shine....on the final cut it's tighter, it's breath-taking, makes your heart race ......but .both versions come very very close to one another-so it might just be the other way around....actually..the rhythm section is at the fore-front on the final version.....On Love is Blindness it's different....Eno's playing some different great synth and Edge's guitar fades into the backdrop from sustained intensity to far-out places.......Definitely different.......All in all the final version IS more experimental and captures the Frisson, the  Fever of those last moments of creation when you're not thinking-just feeling.  On the final take of LIB the feelings are heavier, it really gives you the sensation of the futility of everything, the nothingness but at the same time the VICTORy the artist takes over his problems by exorcising  the demon, control it, make something great outta the darkness....That's why I never consider Achtung Baby a dark album...because U2 comes out on top, they're not defeated by the darkness....It's usng darkness to paint a greater painting....Somekind of specific colour...it's the album that makes U2, U2.....hard to explain..It's not that I'd want them to do another AB..but I'd love to see them try things out again (hoping for it on SOE)....Kudos to Flood for the different effects (different than on final cut) on Bono's voice and on Eno's synths.........

In Conclusion.....MORE is MOre....NOT less is more !!!!!  There were a LOT of cooks (and Kooks)  there ...ENO/Lanois/FLOOD/Lillywhite....But they were the great ones so it doesnt matter how many cooks there are as long as they're creative and crazy-passionate ab what they're doing.....and the U2 of those times where certainly thinking  right and the result is staggering....

Oh and PS....It's all about the drums indeed....Larry's whacking you on the back of your head with a Heavy, Fat, Deep, Sticky BEAT  ...His  signature drum sound is Unmistakable !!!!

I'm imagining the  other three playing and Larry lifting himself up from the drum-chair to hit it harder in total excitement.....Like a Kid when he can't get enough of his playtime with his best-buds....like when the playing just gets interesting at the end of the day and your dad calls you back ion the house to do your homework....its' got that rage of NOT letting the best things slip away !!!!

PPS:  More echoing on Baby-Ultraviolet.....AND  despite  Bono's newly-found bitter auto-ironic style...Larry's playing the most serious drums ever,,,,,like his dad's gonna call him back for an eternity of grueling boring homework that won't let him see his play-buds again ever,,,,,Like it's the last time he's playing....like he said..." I want to be remembered for the musician I am."

PPPPPs (x 15555)  :  I've reached the final cut, which I think it's NOT remastered, which is GOOD....EDGE has only re-thought some of the MASTER-sections....It's Warmer and more Ear-friendly when on HEadPhones, which is how I roll... If Edge said they're playing three guitars one over the other on  The FLY...well I can now hear at least 6 on Horses....Edge has brought the backdrop-riffs into light more and it's great to hear those different-riffs cascading one into the other and into the depths !!!!

Now I'm listening to the Re-worked version of Zooropa (Also included in the Uber-Deluxe AB)  and The Edge applied the same treatment...it's not remastered...it's even better.......All those hidden sounds from before are subtly brought closer but in a Warm way not just a usual uncaring loud remastering.... Edge's back-drop guitar that follows Bono's singing on STAY is breath-taking to say the least.....I'd advise HeadPhones if you want to experience it !

For the month of St. Patrick - now this is what I call "the wearin' of the green"...

...the great Cyd Charisse dancing w/ Gene Kelly (who I think was Irish American, btw) - the song is 'Call Me' sung by Petula Clark:

Talking about St Patrick.....Notice the "green and gold"  in Bono's lyrics throughout the years.

I don't know if someone could/would or want to help me out.  I'll give my story quick.  Two years ago, my former landlord took me to court to get me to move.  He raised my rent even though I get housing assistance to help me pay rent.  I'm epileptic, got really sick and had to stop working.  Housing told me that I didn't need to worry about the rent increase because he was under contract with them.  In March 2014, he took me back to court for not paying the increase and housing told me if I got evicted, I could lose my voucher and I'd be on the street so I took my pets, what I could carry, called a friend and he drove me to another friend's house where I stayed till I found an apartment.  In Massachusetts, the law is that your landlord is supposed to store your belongings for a month and then you pay the storage facility.  He didn't want to do that so he threw away all I owned.  I took him to court over it and he lied to the magistrate.  So, here I am having to replace things, I got some donated items but I had to buy a bed because in Massachusetts, it's illegal to sell used mattresses.  Not to mention GROSS.  But anyway, one thing I haven't been able to get is MUSIC and I really miss my U2.  Does anyone have old CD's they don't play anymore?  I'm hoping someone does because I'm going nuts. I got a donated CD player from an elderly man who went into a nursing home.  I'd be so grateful! 

Been listening to Vertigo Tour 2005 Live From Chicago in the car for the last couple of days.

Been listening to  The Achtung Baby  FAT TRUCKLOAD from the Uber-DeLuxe....I'm crazy for it....Now PLaying   " Kindergarten " !!!

Had songs on random in the car yesterday, and Down All The Days came on. Listening to it, it occurred to me that you can almost sing Van Diemen's Land along to it.

Maybe Edge should take centre stage on the tour and bust out a Numb/VDL mashup. :P

Had songs on random in the car yesterday, and Down All The Days came on. Listening to it, it occurred to me that you can almost sing Van Diemen's Land along to it.

Maybe Edge should take centre stage on the tour and bust out a Numb/VDL mashup. :P

Brilliant Idea !!!!!

U2 heaven and hell... Lol

I'm listening to  U2  ~ Heaven and Hell   ( Achtung Baby - Uber Deluxe) ... WOW !!!

The Black Keys

And I really like this song

Salute your Solutions, the Raconteurs

The Black Keys

The Black Keys - Very Tasty Choice....The Raconteurs - Very Good !!!

Yes, I have a lot to do today.. Gotta keep moving..:)

The Black Keys

The Black Keys - Very Tasty Choice....The Raconteurs - Very Good !!!
Yes, The Black Keys, thanks for recommending them, Chris. Takes me out of my New Age laziness :)

Last night I ripped the audio from the Rattle And Hum movie and was listening to it in the car on the drive to work this morning. Really enjoying it, more than I thought I would.