98FM – Verified account ‏@98FM

Bono, Colin Farrell and Hozier were all in for @Adele's show in 3Arena tonight. #AdeleDublin #AdeleLive2016

14:29 - 5 mar 2016

IN the studio..Recording SOE with Larry's drum-kit and Adam photographing it and of course a reflection of "Shadows and Tall Trees"...

29x9a1e.jpg

He's so artsy. But where's the drummer?!?!?!

He's so artsy. But where's the drummer?!?!?!

He was hitting the drums, creating Shadows and Tall Trees with ever beat........Through Shadows and Tall Trees we're getting One Step Closer to SOE !!!!!

Remember !!!   Larry can work the whole drum-kit with only one hand so probably he was drumming near-by when Adam took the shot.

Remember !!!   Larry can work the whole drum-kit with only one hand so probably he was drumming near-by when Adam took the shot.

It's all about the drums!

It's all about the drums!

YEAAAAHYUUUUUUH it iiiiiis !!!!!!!!!!

Lucky Dude with The Edge !!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BClDc8Tpmzv/

Via "ocordito" (aka Conor Murphy) on Instagram on 5th March 2016 in Dublin/Ireland:

"Randomly met The Edge from @u2 today when I was waiting on Adele. ‪#‎u2‬ ‪#‎theedge‬ ‪#‎dublin‬ ‪#‎music‬ ‪#‎photooftheday‬ ‪#‎autographs‬ ‪#‎racklife‬ ‪#‎icon‬ #dublin"

is that where the joshua tree was recorded?

It was recorded in a house in Bodie California and in another house in Dublin but I can't remember any other details about the latter...

Yes, that's the house :)

http://www.atu2.com/news/the-secret-history-of-the-joshua-tree-part-1.html

"With the production team in place, the next question was where the LP would be made. The first three U2 albums had all been recorded at Windmill Lane, a high-spec facility located in a narrow street by the River Liffey in Dublin's (then) dilapidated docklands. For The Unforgettable Fire they had taken the unusual decision to work at Slane Castle, the ancestral pile of Lord Henry Mountcharles, located thirty miles north of Dublin. Slane was a once-off, and there seemed to be little enthusiasm for returning to Windmill Lane; the band, and Bono in particular, had often stated their distaste for the "sterile" environment of recording studios.

Instead, they elected to record in Danesmoate, a two-story-over-basement Georgian mansion in Rathfarnham on the southside of the city in the foothills of the Dublin Mountains. The house, a local landmark, was originally known as Glen Southwell after the family who once lived there. According to historical records, it was originally laid out with rustic follies, a viewing tower, and it even had a small stream flowing through the grounds. Curiously, the first recorded evidence of anyone living there is in 1787 -- exactly two hundred years before The Joshua Tree was released -- when it was occupied by a Capt. William Southwell. Danesmoate was familiar territory to at least one band member -- the house was adjacent to St Columba's College, Adam Clayton's alma mater. So impressed was he with the house during the recording sessions that he later bought it for use as his own home and has since carried out extensive restoration work to the listed building.

For Lanois, Danesmoate offered the perfect location for getting down to some serious work. "It was a really nice set-up," he recalls. "It has this large living room/drawing room, whatever you want to call it -- a big rectangular room with a tall ceiling and wooden floors. It was loud, but it was really good loud, real dense, very musical. In my opinion it was the most rock and roll room of the lot. The castle [slane] was a fun idea and everything but it was a massive place. Danesmoate sounded better than the castle. I think it was the best place of all the experiments we tried 'cause we've always tried different sorts of locations [to record]."

What impressed Lanois most about the 200-year-old building was its unique sonic properties, particularly when it came to, what he describes as, "the low mid-range."

"The low mid-range is where the music lives," he explains. "In my opinion The Joshua Tree is a great rock and roll record, partly because of the beauty of the low mid-range of that room."

It was recorded in a house in Bodie California and in another house in Dublin but I can't remember any other details about the latter...

is that right about Bodie?  i know some of the photos were taken there (like Streets single cover), but don't think they recorded any music there? Could be wrong?

"With the production team in place, the next question was where the LP would be made. The first three U2 albums had all been recorded at Windmill Lane, a high-spec facility located in a narrow street by the River Liffey in Dublin's (then) dilapidated docklands. For The Unforgettable Fire they had taken the unusual decision to work at Slane Castle, the ancestral pile of Lord Henry Mountcharles, located thirty miles north of Dublin. Slane was a once-off, and there seemed to be little enthusiasm for returning to Windmill Lane; the band, and Bono in particular, had often stated their distaste for the "sterile" environment of recording studios.

Instead, they elected to record in Danesmoate, a two-story-over-basement Georgian mansion in Rathfarnham on the southside of the city in the foothills of the Dublin Mountains. The house, a local landmark, was originally known as Glen Southwell after the family who once lived there. According to historical records, it was originally laid out with rustic follies, a viewing tower, and it even had a small stream flowing through the grounds. Curiously, the first recorded evidence of anyone living there is in 1787 -- exactly two hundred years before The Joshua Tree was released -- when it was occupied by a Capt. William Southwell. Danesmoate was familiar territory to at least one band member -- the house was adjacent to St Columba's College, Adam Clayton's alma mater. So impressed was he with the house during the recording sessions that he later bought it for use as his own home and has since carried out extensive restoration work to the listed building.

For Lanois, Danesmoate offered the perfect location for getting down to some serious work. "It was a really nice set-up," he recalls. "It has this large living room/drawing room, whatever you want to call it -- a big rectangular room with a tall ceiling and wooden floors. It was loud, but it was really good loud, real dense, very musical. In my opinion it was the most rock and roll room of the lot. The castle [slane] was a fun idea and everything but it was a massive place. Danesmoate sounded better than the castle. I think it was the best place of all the experiments we tried 'cause we've always tried different sorts of locations [to record]."

What impressed Lanois most about the 200-year-old building was its unique sonic properties, particularly when it came to, what he describes as, "the low mid-range."

"The low mid-range is where the music lives," he explains. "In my opinion The Joshua Tree is a great rock and roll record, partly because of the beauty of the low mid-range of that room."

great band photo called the same

U2DublinMarch1986AntonCorbi.jpg

U2 need to restage this photo 30 years on :D

He's back!!! From their official feed.

Hometown boy #original ...Larry

12814245_10154522545021686_7374973947271

Edited by mich40

Larry still looks pretty much the same and has hardly aged ;0) since 1986 .... or before for that matter

Nice reflection on JT's 29th birthday. Thanks.

is that right about Bodie?  i know some of the photos were taken there (like Streets single cover), but don't think they recorded any music there? Could be wrong?

Yes they did (read U2byU2, the section THE JOSHUA TREE: the story of two houses and the two Americas)....And MOST of the INSIDE-album Joshua tree photos are shot in Bodie and the surroundings.....

Cool learn something new everyday ;0) will have to read that bit again .... cheers

Yeah man !!!  ^_^

I know the following were used- STS Studios, Danesmoate House, Melbeach House Dublin and Windmill Lane Studios. Cant find Bodie recording session though. Wheres that in the book? 29 Palms, Bodie, Death Valley, Death Valley junction, etc were used for photo shoots only?

I remember reading in U2byU2 where Bono said they found a house in Bodie where there was a stream running....and no electricity and they got to sketch some songs...and I remember it was titled " The Story of Two Houses"..... Or maybe I read it somewhere else...........For the Joshua Tree, Anton Corbijn recalls in U2byU2 that they shot along the Route-66 .... The Harmony Motel....The Nevada Desert (THe Actual Place of THEE Joshua Tree), BODIE-CAlifornia and Zabriskie Point-Nevada.