paoladegliesposti

u2 song of the day

Edited by natural11
"... to our daughters ...but like everything, you preach what YOU need to hear...isn't that right, Edge?"

On 6/30/2017 at 9:12 PM, natural11 said:

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For ...this version.

This gospel scene in Rattle n' Hum personifies what U2 is all about.....color blind, unity, faith and musical inspiration for all that is willing to hear.....

On 7/14/2017 at 12:35 AM, Grande 3:16 said:

All I Want Is You 

One of their best.....if I could truly pick a favorite because there are so many genius songs they have created....

but, ALL I WANT IS YOU....is comparable to Beethoven's moonlight Sonata and symphony N. 9 combined.....

On 7/11/2017 at 10:27 AM, hokmar76 said:

Today's song for me is God Part II. 

In the music video in my head, I stand up from my chair at work and in slow motion swipe all the papers off my desk as I walk out the door defiantly for the last time leaving a sea of debris behind me. Ah the dream.

Very underrated song....

Don't believe the devil
I don't believe his book
But the truth is not the same
Without the lies he made up

Don't believe in excess
Success is to give
Don't believe in riches
But you should see where I live
I, I believe in love

Don't believe in forced entry
Don't believe in rape
But every time she passes by
Wild thoughts escape...............

The dichotomous lyrics are so completely powerful....I love rattle n' hum for one of these aspects......

Bono wrote some intense lyrics....and imagery still stuck within my head.....even after all these years.....

10 hours ago, unforgettableu2 said:

Very underrated song....

Don't believe the devil
I don't believe his book
But the truth is not the same
Without the lies he made up

Don't believe in excess
Success is to give
Don't believe in riches
But you should see where I live
I, I believe in love

Don't believe in forced entry
Don't believe in rape
But every time she passes by
Wild thoughts escape...............

The dichotomous lyrics are so completely powerful....I love rattle n' hum for one of these aspects......

Bono wrote some intense lyrics....and imagery still stuck within my head.....even after all these years.....

YES !!!!!!!!!  One of the most powerful songs ever !!!!!

2 hours ago, pain_18_ said:

YES !!!!!!!!!  One of the most powerful songs ever !!!!!

Or....since we are on the Rattle n' Hum track......

How about Hawkmoon 269.....and such lyrical imagery that would make most poets cry......

such as ....

Like coming home
And you don't know where you've been
Like black coffee
Like nicotine
I need your love (I need your love)

When the night has no end
And the day yet to begin
As the room spins around
I need your love

Like a Phoenix rising needs a holy tree
Like the sweet revenge of a bitter enemy
I need your love

Like the hot needs the sun
Like honey on her tongue
Like the muzzle of a gun
Like oxygen
And the day yet to begin
As the room spins around
I need your love

Like thunder needs rain
Like a preacher needs pain
Like tongues of flame
Like a sheet stained
I need your love
I need your love

Like a needle needs a vein
Like someone to blame
Like a thought unchained
Like a runaway train
I need your love

Like faith needs a doubt
Like a freeway out
I need your love

Like powder needs a spark
Like lies need the dark
I need your love

• Like 1

WHY we don't have this as a BONUS Track on SOE, is beyond my understanding ......

Edited by pain_18_
  • Like 1

On 12/31/2017 at 12:00 PM, unforgettableu2 said:

Or....since we are on the Rattle n' Hum track......

How about Hawkmoon 269.....and such lyrical imagery that would make most poets cry......

such as ....

Like coming home
And you don't know where you've been
Like black coffee
Like nicotine

And the day yet to begin
As the room spins around
I need your love

Like a Phoenix rising needs a holy tree
Like the sweet revenge of a bitter enemy
I need your love

Like the hot needs the sun
Like honey on her tongue
Like the muzzle of a gun
Like oxygen
And the day yet to begin
As the room spins around
I need your love

Like thunder needs rain
Like a preacher needs pain
Like tongues of flame
Like a sheet stained
I need your love
I need your love

Like a needle needs a vein
Like someone to blame
Like a thought unchained
Like a runaway train
I need your love

Like faith needs a doubt
Like a freeway out
I need your love

Like powder needs a spark
Like lies need the dark
I need your love

I was talking to a mate about this last night. He used to be a fan but has gone off them in the last few years. He went to some Lovetown shows back in the day, I was telling him last night how they've only played Hawkmoon about 7 times and he was at one of the shows to hear it and how jealous I am.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grande 3:16 said:

I was talking to a mate about this last night. He used to be a fan but has gone off them in the last few years. He went to some Lovetown shows back in the day, I was telling him last night how they've only played Hawkmoon about 7 times and he was at one of the shows to hear it and how jealous I am.

My GOD is that song great as Rattle and HUM in its entirety of course !!!

Do tell more stories like that, @Grande 3:16 !!!!  And Happy New Year !

7 hours ago, Grande 3:16 said:

Grande....

Happy New year!!! 2018...

I am hopeful....New Year....new beginning, to learn from past mistakes and grow.......for humankind.....to learn to be  more "kind".....

Anyway...

Rattle n' Hum is masterful work.....full of boundless creativity and exploration......truly "fearless"......and that is when U2 is at it's best......

It may have not been understood by the masses....but when is innovation excepted......? Not when it's first introduced...and it takes time for people to digest what is not familiar or different. Rattle n' hum is appreciated now....more than then ever.. I believe U2 were always proud of it.....regardlesseg of the criticisms.

I miss fearless U2...... full of piss n' vinegar.....yet, also romantic, spiritual and sensitive......

I love the heavy lyrics mixed with Bono's raw voice....particularly in this song.....still sends chills down my spine....

"like a preacher  needs pain,,,,like a needle needs a vein.....like someone to blame.....the contrasting imagery......very powerful.

Or....like BB king said to Bono:

"Mighty heavy lyrics for a young man".... WHEN LOVE COMES TO TOWN....

I was there when they crucified my Lord
I held the scabbard when the soldier drew his sword.
I threw the dice when they pierced his side
But I've seen love conquer the great divide.

Rattle n' hum is true art....and transcendent in form......Musicians/singers of today should learn from them and do less criticizing.....if they were smart.

Edited by unforgettableu2
  • Like 1

Cheers. :)

Rattle and Hum is a great album, I put it equal with The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. I became a fan in the early '90s and was oblivious to the backlash it copped and at the time couldn't understand why some didn't like it.

My favorite U2 song of all times....regret they never play it live though.... :(

On 1/1/2018 at 6:14 PM, Grande 3:16 said:

Cheers. :)

Rattle and Hum is a great album, I put it equal with The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. I became a fan in the early '90s and was oblivious to the backlash it copped and at the time couldn't understand why some didn't like it.

Grande....cheers and happy new year to YOU!:Mirrorball:

I've been a fan since 1983.......and I was VERY aware of the backlash U2 received then.....as they do now.....just in different form. However.....I have never gave two shits what critics or the anti-u2 coalition thinks.

U2 has always been on the outside of the circle.....even at the height of their popularity, when Joshua tree/Achtung Baby made them a house hold name.

Mainstream popularity was bitter sweet for U2,  because as much as they wanted people to understand/validate their work/vision......it came with attachments/strings.

The higher you climb.....the greater the fall. Besides....the air was getting very thin up inside the atmosphere of fame....and I think u2 is more comfortable with earth.....and getting dirty with the common man.

U2 have primarily been artists first......fame just arose from what they loved to do. I think they don't regret Rattle n' hum or Pop...or even the apple/cell phone incident.

I do think they carry a few scars from it.....and  sadly,  a little more inhibited from all the unjust criticisms.....

Most of our best creative work is derived when we are young.....because we are naive and willing to take risks......"ignorance" and youth can be a useful tool in exploration, creativity and discovery......if that oxymoron makes sense?

Edited by unforgettableu2