Sign in to follow this  
mich40

Bono and Eugene Peterson

I just saw the short film and I liked it. Eugene Peterson has so much life expierince and Bono's words are like U2's music: honest, realistic, powerfull and with passion. I really like Bono's saying of Psalm 23 between Raised by Wolves and Untill the end of the world during the I&E Tour. Powerfull of using these words between the conflict, bombings in Ireland, the violence and the ultimate conflict between Jesus and Judas. To shout so loudly 'comfort me, comfort me' keeps echoing in my mind. So, I will certainly use this film when I'm organising a U2 retreat again next year.

As an @FullerSeminary grad I couldn't find myself prouder and more inspired by an institution represented by those that find the intersections and inspirations of art and theology like Makoto Fujimura (@iamfujimura) and David Taylor (@wdavidotaylor). I believe U2 have always used their music as a means to extend their primary message and mission: That God is a loving God and earnestly seeks us all to fulfill the great commandment - love God with all your heart, love ALL others as you yourself would want to be loved in this life. This band has always brilliantly used allegory to gently bring us to an awareness of this truth. There's a reason they often reflect on Psalm 116 

I’ll complete what I promised God I’d do,
and I’ll do it together with his people.”

Blessings to you friends and community; Evan

As an @FullerSeminary grad I couldn't find myself prouder and more inspired by an institution represented by those that find the intersections and inspirations of art and theology like Makoto Fujimura (@iamfujimura) and David Taylor (@wdavidotaylor). I believe U2 have always used their music as a means to extend their primary message and mission: That God is a loving God and earnestly seeks us all to fulfill the great commandment - love God with all your heart, love ALL others as you yourself would want to be loved in this life. This band has always brilliantly used allegory to gently bring us to an awareness of this truth. There's a reason they often reflect on Psalm 116 

Thanks Evan for being so proud and the message you give us. Also blessing to you! Jan

JTB find me on twitter @EvanSorensen ; can't figure out how to send you a personal message and would like to continue the convo on the Psalms...

JTB find me on twitter @EvanSorensen ; can't figure out how to send you a personal message and would like to continue the convo on the Psalms...

No problem. I just send you a personal message.

I see this is an older thread.  I was not able to read or watch much the past couple years. I am catching up in here with threads and other goodies.  Thank you posting this.  I would probably never had seen it had you not uploaded that video, so I give you a sincere thank you.

When Eugene Peterson said, "The Rolling Stones and meant the magazine...when he said mash pit.", it was funny but profound.  It's amazing how things so intricate to so many are so inconsequential to others.  I know we all are aware of this.  I've no special wisdom but it's so easy to forget how unimportant great things can be next to God.  It was really cool to see Bono sitting at that table and being humble; listening to learn and gain new insights.  It seemed so to me but perhaps I am wrong.  It was great no matter.

I liked Peterson's wife the moment she spoke and how she said hello and welcomed Bono into their home.  I found it funny and loved her for telling Bono not to run.  To see one of my heroes looking up to someone is a nice thing.  Plus, Mr. Peterson likes 40 by U2!!!!  He also had that stack of U2 cds.  That is really cool.   Thanks.

Thanks to both of you for putting into words what I have tried to explain to my Godfather, who is a beloved priest in Milwaukee, and many others...why I feel God every single time I see this band live; why I usually miss the opening number because I'm thanking Him for getting me there when it seemed impossible; why I'm willing to spend every single penny to see them as many times possible for each and every tour.  I have $3.38 in the bank and that is it.  I'd use that to get a GA for the second night in Chicago just to hear Bad.  My friends think I am crazy.  Some get quite upset with me but I don't care. I need it. What you both say and how you say it is why.  It's only money.

I had heard Boy but the moment I heard Gloria and 40...I was hooked and always have been.