Sign in to follow this  

U2 & Drake Preach Love Amid Tense Political Climate at iHeartRadio Music Festival

u2-bono-iheartradio-festival-2016-billbo

"We remember that peace is not just the absence of violence. Peace is love organized," Bono says from the Vegas stage. "So get out and vote, whoever you're voting for."

When U2 hit the stage as the final act of the iHeartRadio Music Festival on Friday night, they kicked right into the 1988 Rattle and Hum single "Desire" -- perfectly fitting the show's Las Vegas venue with its themes of bright lights and big money. And sure enough, Sin City imagery like showgirls, slot machines and poker tables flashed above the legendary Irish rockers to drive the point home.

But as the song continued, and its lyrical message became clearer, another theme emerged: the American presidential election and rocky cultural climate -- a theme also addressed by fellow iHeartRadio Fest performer Drake earlier in the evening.

She's the dollars, she's my protection/ Yeah, she's the promise in the year of election," Bono sang, as the imagery suddenly shifted to a massive American flag. Then Donald Trump appeared onscreen timed with the lyrics "Like a preacher stealin' hearts at a travellin' show/ For love or money, money, money, money, money, money…" as fake dollars rained over the T-Mobile Arena crowd and Bono repeated the M-word seemingly 100 times.

The rest of the article ---> http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/music-festivals/7518892/u2-drake-iheartradio-festival-politics-donald-trump

Ah, playing catch up. So loved 'Desire' - such an apt throwback to the mirrorball man days. Good luck America. It's a bit like I've felt most of my adult life living where I live. Is there someone that's really worth voting for? Or, is there someone/ something that's really worth voting against. Where I live - we voted for peace.

Bono: " I like the whole of the bill "

Interviewer: "The who?"

Bono: "The whole bill"

Interviewer D'oh moment. ;)

I don't like the guy interviewing or "anyones arse -nal"  :)

Canadians.The festival is going to be shown tonight,Oct 6 and tomorrow(2 parts) on CTVTwo at 8pm.

Edited by pride

outside the us and Canada you can try ustvnow.com

be aware that you will need to open an account there (free) and that it's on standard definition...

also... it already started. so you need to hurry up...

Now it's the Backstreet Boys.

it was mentioned that another U2 song will be played... it may take some time..

and that's all.

a part 2 is scheduled for tomorrow. No idea if they will have more U2.

US fans: in case you missed it, you can watch it on the CW site:

www.cwtv.com

for if it helps: U2 is on the 35 min mark (Desire) and later on the 75 min mark (interview + Vertigo)

US fans: in case you missed it, you can watch it on the CW site:

www.cwtv.com

for if it helps: U2 is on the 35 min mark (Desire) and later on the 75 min mark (interview + Vertigo)

I didn't like it was severely edited!!! :(

in around 15 min the second part will be broadcasted. No idea if there will be more U2. Let's wait...

Did I understand correctly that they only showed two of the shows last night?

Sign in to follow this