Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

voicefromdc

Women’s March on Washington officially has a permit for Jan. 21

90 posts in this topic

WOMEN (and all those who support and stand with them) WILL MARCH in DC the day after Trump's inauguration.

post-691770-0-23322300-1481833433.txt  photo links to Washington Post article.

Women's March is going Global.

Women's March sister actions will take place in towns and cities around the world and join with the Women's March on Washington on 21 January.   We only have 3 weeks to organize this but aim to accomplish a networked global media event around these actions.

In a day or so, I will post more information to work with if YOU or your organization would like to stage a partner march in your town or city that maintains focus on your local issues and actions, while also incorporating into a larger global message of solidarity with women worldwide.

Please watch this space.  

Think about YOUR march!

As always, Men Welcome! 

Thanks and best wishes.

Would love to see ONE's "Poverty is Sexist" campaign participate!

Donald Trump victory sparks global women’s rights marches
Washington DC and London among 30 cities rallying against ‘politics of fear’ on day after inauguration
Tracy McVeigh | The Guardian

After a year of seismic shocks comes the protest and fightback. At least that is what activists plan with the first major demonstration of the year – the women’s march – planned for 30 cities around the world on 21 January, the day after Donald Trump’s inauguration as president of the US.

The women’s march on Washington has been given permission by state authorities to go ahead. Tens of thousands of women (and men, who are also welcome to join it) have already pledged to take part and plans for a sister rally in London are gaining support from writers, musicians and politicians.

Organisers say the US election proved a “catalyst for a grassroots movement of women to assert the positive values that the politics of fear denies”.

In the UK the Women’s Equality party has thrown its weight behind the march. “I am a dual national and voted for Hillary Clinton in Wisconsin,” said the party co-founder, Catherine Mayer.

“I will march with my father, a US citizen, who during his time as a conscript in the US army came under investigation by Senator Joseph McCarthy for supposed un-American activities. In fact he was and remains a US patriot who will march to promote the values essential to the US: democracy and the human rights of the whole population,” she said.

“For me the march is also important because it recognises how interconnected our world is. What happens in America impacts all of us. The rights of women and of minority populations and vulnerable and low-income people are under threat and we must do everything we can to protect these rights and fight for true equality.”

Musician Pixie Geldof, writer Stella Duffy, activist Jack Monroe and US rock musician Thurston Moore are supporting the London march, while in the US organisers claim that many of the musicians who have refused to play at Trump’s inauguration will join them.

“I’m supporting this march because I don’t want to be a bystander to the politics of fear, division and aggression that defined crucial votes in the UK and the US in 2016,” said Geldof.

She added: “I believe that kindness, love and unity are stronger than hate. I believe that we are stronger together. Together we can show that no matter who you are, you have a voice, and it’s a voice worth being heard.”

Women's March  SISTER MARCHES

Sister Marches are solidarity events inspired by the Women's March on Washington, and organized by volunteers around the world.

If you can't make it to Washington, D.C. on January 21, join or host a Sister March near you. 

NUMBER OF MARCHES SO FAR: 273
EXPECTED PARTICIPATION GLOBALLY (so far): 577,480

WE WOULD LIKE TO INCREASE THESE NUMBERS.  PLEASE VISIT WomensMarch.com/Global TO JOIN OR PLAN A MARCH IN YOUR AREA

Health, Economic Security, Representation, Safety (H.E.R.S.)

I am very proud to announce the release of the H.E.R.S. framework as a strategic tool for organizing globally around women's rights.

I adapted and developed the H.E.R.S. framework, based on existing scholarship, while volunteering with Women's March Global in DC.

Women's March Global is a grassroots umbrella effort that serves as an organizing hub for the multiple Women's Marches happening around the planet.

H.E.R.S. is a stand-alone strategic platform that allows one to frame campaigns, activism, policy and legal efforts.

I envision H.E.R.S. as a vehicle for unifying women's movements around the world.  

The H.E.R.S. Strategic Organizing Framework

• Health — Healthcare is the foundation of women’s well-being and economic stability. Women’s March Global advocates for access to affordable and inclusive women’s healthcare regardless of nationality, age, race or ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or disability.
  • Economic Security — Women are powerful drivers of economic growth, and their economic empowerment benefits all nations. Women’s March Global supports the dismantling of economic barriers that obstruct women’s full and equal access to local, national, and global economic systems.
  • Representation — Women are under-represented globally, adversely affecting our collective health, safety, and economic security. Women’s March Global seeks fair and just representation of women locally, nationally, and internationally.
  • Safety — Every woman has the need and right to feel physically secure, and security for women should be assured through sound legal practices. Women’s March Global stands behind the principle that women are not to be held accountable for actions that are outside their control — particularly regarding all forms of assault — and that fair legal action must be applied to prevent these crimes.

---------------------------------------

I am working to get some H.E.R.S. graphics made and made available for those who may want to use it on a sign or something.

Easy enough to print anything on anything at VistaPrint.

what a wonderful time to celebrate women and a new president.

Thank you, John. That is a wonderful thing for you to say!

Although, I may not join you in "celebrating" Donald Trump ;-)
Ostensibly, these marches are NOT supposed to be anti-Trump, but rather pro-Women and pro-support to others who are marginalized,
including the environment,and which are natural ally-issues for the women's movement.
But, the anti-Trump bit as a focus has proven difficult to remove from the headlines,
mostly because so many women are making opposition to him their reason for marching.
Understandably!

I would really have loved to see the March movement adopt the HERS framework as a means to give a unifying
thrust to the global protests. We have never had a true GLOBAL women's movement.
But, it is, perhaps, too late in this game for that.
Perhaps another day through another means.... :-)

It is my hope that the marches will forward more than just a wave of estrogen-fueled outrage.
I would also like ​to see the movement NOT adopt a far-left cast.  
Seems to me, non-partisanship and innovative political thinking is what is called for now. 
(Although, true innovators are notoriously difficult to find in any field.)
We need actionable plans and solutions, in my opinion.  Not just angst and anger--although those are well-justified sentiments,
which I share.
Thanks again!

We have a new, clarifying statement at Women's March Global:

"Women’s March Global is a proactive international movement, not merely a US election specific protest, which has galvanized people to defend women's rights and those of others in response to the rising rhetoric of far-right populism around the world.”

Women’s March Launches Global Mission For Equality
 01/13/2017 08:07 am ET | Updated 1 hour ago

Women’s March Global (WMG) — the international arm of the Women’s March on Washington (WMW) — has launched its mission statement as total participation across the world looks set to hit the one million mark

Three hundred national and international sister marches will join forces with the Women’s March on Washington (WMW) DC rally on Jan 21 — the day after the U.S. Presidential Inauguration — spanning nearly 60 cities in 30 countries across six continents. As march day approaches, the WMG has set out four clear aims.

In a press statement, it announced the movement’s worldwide vision and values in a unifying framework called H.E.R.S., which spells out the women’s rights priorities of: Health, Economic Security, Representation, and Safety:

• Health — Healthcare is the foundation of women’s well-being and economic stability. Women’s March Global advocates for access to affordable and inclusive women’s healthcare regardless of nationality, age, race or ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or disability.
  • Economic Security — Women are powerful drivers of economic growth, and their economic empowerment benefits all nations. Women’s March Global supports the dismantling of economic barriers that obstruct women’s full and equal access to local, national, and global economic systems.
  • Representation — Women are under-represented globally, adversely affecting our collective health, safety, and economic security. Women’s March Global seeks fair and just representation of women locally, nationally, and internationally.
  • Safety — Every woman has the need and right to feel physically secure, and security for women should be assured through sound legal practices. Women’s March Global stands behind the principle that women are not to be held accountable for actions that are outside their control — particularly regarding all forms of assault — and that fair legal action must be applied to prevent these crimes.”

The global team wants to encourage coalitions across the world to consider adopting the H.E.R.S. framework for future campaigns to address critical issues that disproportionately affect women, such as climate change and failures in democratic governance.

Organizers are keen to stress that WMG is not a U.S. election specific protest per se, but a proactive international movement, which has galvanized people to defend women’s rights and those of others in response to the rising rhetoric of far-right populism around the world.

Spearheaded by first-time organizers and seasoned activists, the marches will bring together people of all backgrounds, races, religions, gender identities, ages and abilities. While led by women, all are welcome to attend. 

More than 300,000 people have signed up on Facebook to attend a national or international sister march, and around 200,000 have already pledged to attend the WMW in DC. Numbers are rising daily and more are expected to arrive on the day.

Find a list and interactive map of all national and international sister marches at:

Womensmarch.com/sisters

We only have two marches in Africa so far.

Two in Asia

and none in South America.

We do have one in Iraq!

We need to have more than just the Western world represented in these marches,

if anyone wishes to help with that?  Do we have anybody here who is not Western?

Please visit WomensMarch.com/sisters to plan or join a march in your area!

200 Buses Are Headed to D.C. for Trump's Inauguration Day.

1800 buses Are Headed to DC for The Women’s March

Thousands of protesters have pledged to take to the streets of London on Donald Trump's  first day as US President to stand up for women’s rights.

Evening Standard--January 13, 2017

More than 10,000 people have expressed interest in joining the Women’s March on London on Saturday, January 21 with more than 280 “sister” protests expected to take place across the world.

Protesters will assemble in Grosvenor Square at 12pm before marching through Park Lane, Piccadilly, Pall Mall to Trafalgar Square where a rally will take place at 2pm.

The "inclusive" demo is to be staged the day after Donald Trump’s inauguration and is designed to “safeguard freedoms threatened by recent political events”.

A message on the group’s Facebook page reads: “We call on people of all genders to march in London as part of an international day of action in solidarity.

"We will march, wherever we march, for the protection of our fundamental rights and for the safeguarding of freedoms threatened by recent political events. 

“We unite and stand together for the dignity and equality of all peoples, for the safety and health of our planet and for the strength of our vibrant and diverse communities.

“We will come together in the spirit of democracy, honouring the champions of human rights who have gone before us.

“The politics of fear and division have no place in 2017.”

The biggest march is due to take place in Washington where high-profile figures including US pop star Katy Perry, actresses Julianne Moore and Scarlett Johansson and comedian Amy Schumer are set to feature.

According to the Women’s March website, nearly 600,000 people are expected to protest on the day.

Mr Trump faced criticism during his campaign for comments he was revealed to have made about groping women.

I just wish to say that being a part of Women's March Global is an amazing experience!

I am grateful.

I continue to encourage others to get involved in your area, at least in the upcoming marches if not beyond.

Men ESPECIALLY welcome!

The action is starting to get a decent amount of press in the US and Europe.

We are still working on the rest of the world...so little time.

Posted · Hidden by mich40, January 15 - No reason given

FYI: Dear Marchers:

Women’s March is participating in StoryCorps to record and preserve the stories of why we march, both in Washington and around the world on January 21, 2017. All stories will be archived in the Library of Congress. This is a historic March!

Please join us in recording a story or conducting an interview BEFORE or AFTER the March. It can be as short as 1 min or as long as 45 mins. See below for instructions!

Follow these simple instructions to share your story:

1. Create an account on StoryCorps.me from your computer.

2. Join the Women’s March Page

3. Download the StoryCorps.me app to your phone.

4. Prepare for your recording! You can record either a solo reflection or an interview. Make sure to do a short introduction with your name(s) and location.

5. Use the following questions to help guide your conversation:

If recording BEFORE the March:
Why did you decide to come to the Women’s March on January 21, 2017.
Why is this important to you personally?
What are your hopes for the March and for afterwards?

If recording AFTER:
Paint a picture of the march in words? What did it look like? What did it sounds like?
What was your most memorable moment from the day?
Did anything surprise you?
What have you been thinking about since the March?

6. When prompted to finish and submit your story, please use these keywords, it makes it easier to find your story:
ORGANIZATIONS: Women’s March on Washington, #womensmarch, #womensmarch2017
GENERAL: List other words that describe what you talked about in your recording. Examples: Work, Inauguration, Organizing, Parenting, Health, etc. Use commas to separate each of your keywords.

A documentary film will also be made.  So, please, make, keep and share with us your HD footage from the marches!  We will set up a system for managing documentary-specific submissions post-march.

Go to www.WomensMarch.com/sisters to join or organize a march in  your area!

5 days until March!

Women's March Global

would like to see more marches in Africa, SE Asia and South America, which is not represented at all, yet.

We are looking for organizers in these regions who would have the wherewithal to pull off a march in their area in 5 days.  

That is all the time we have left!

Please, Anybody, please pass the word along to anyone you know in Africa, S. America or SE Asia

and direct them to the Women's March website  if they think they could stage a march in support of Women's Rights, with a focus on their local issues.  

I know that agrarian reform, misogyny and regicide, sexual violence, human trafficking, ecological destruction, and other issues, are substantive challenges for women in these regions.

We will put them in touch with our organizers.

www.womensmarch.com/global

Thank you!

Those who are interested in participating in Women's March but cannot stage a march for whatever reason,

you might also consider hosting a solidarity event.  This could be a speaker series, dinner party, anything really...

and recording your event and sharing it with us via StoryCorp.  (please see above post).

We would like to capture as much activity around this action as possible,

and want as many people to participate globally as we can get.

We are building the very first global women's rights movement.  It is AWESOME!

Come join us in some fashion or another, please.

www.womensmarch.com/global