Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

voicefromdc

Women’s March on Washington officially has a permit for Jan. 21

90 posts in this topic

Good morning!  

5 days until March.

The current march stats are:

50 countries,

121 cities,

370 marches.  

Estimated attendance globally: 1 million based on

Current registered marchers:   694,408 

Please go to www.womensmarch.com/global to join or start a march or solidarity event in your area!

I'll be there. Hope we overwhelm the city and show the world that Donald Trump is #notmypresident and that he doesn't represent what the majority of Americans believe.

Will Be Wonderful to See You, PlWheel!

We are building the first-ever Global Women's Rights movement,

in solidarity with marginalized groups and the environment.

This is a pro-active international movement, rather than just a US election protest.  

The election has galvanized people to defend women's rights

as well as the rights of other marginalized groups and the environment.

This is much much much bigger than Donald Trump.  :-)

See you there!  Woo-hoo!!!!   :D

Why women will march en masse in Copenhagen after Trump inauguration

58dcd01e075c6800ecce9dc12a811b41f0e0c337

Donald Trump’s inauguration as the 45th president of the United States on Friday should be the biggest show in town but according to a recent report, it’s likely to be dwarfed in size by the Women’s March on Washington the following day. 

A DC council member told the local NBC affiliate that the city has issued around three times as many tour bus permits for the march than it has for the Inauguration Day events themselves. 

The Women’s March on Washington is expected to draw at least 100,000 people on Saturday. That massive crowd may be just a sliver of the event’s total reach, however. 

Women’s March Global, an international offshoot of the DC march, is reporting that nearly 700,000 people have committed to attend nearly 400 solidarity events in roughly 40 countries around the world. 

Not only is Copenhagen no exception, the so-called ‘sister march’ here may draw one of the largest crowds outside of the United States.

Women’s March Copenhagen spokeswoman Karen Covington told The Local that over 1,000 participants have committed to hit the streets on Saturday, when the local march will go from the US Embassy in Østerbro to the Danish parliament building Christiansborg. 

According to Covington, the Copenhagen event is on pace to be the third largest Women’s March Global event in Europe. 

The Copenhagen march is spearheaded by a team of Danish and American activists. Like the other events being held around the globe, local organizers stress that everyone is welcome, not just women. They said they also want to make clear that the event is not just about protesting the outcome of the US election or displaying resistance to the incoming Trump administration. 

“Trump is just a symptom of what’s been happening. He’s just the culmination. It’s not about him, but what he represents,” Lesley-Ann Brown, a Brooklyn native who has lived in Denmark for the past 18 years, told The Local. 

Brown said that the Copenhagen march is about solidarity, not only amongst the women of the world but also in support of minorities and other marginalized groups. 

On the event’s Facebook page, Brown and her co-organizers write that the sexist and racist tone of the US presidential campaign is a reflection of global struggles. 

“Nationalist, racist and misogynistic trends are growing worldwide and threaten the most marginalized groups in our societies including women, people of colour, immigrants, Muslims, the LGBTQIA community, and people with disabilities,” they write. “The violence of the global capitalist system only upholds and strengthens these dangerous trends.”

Although Brown said she hasn't had a problem with direct racism while living in Denmark, she said that there seems to have been a shift amongst Danes when it comes to attitudes on race and immigration, pointing to the popularity of the anti-immigration Danish People’s Party and the emergence of far-right groups. 

Delighted to learn that non-march solidarity events are planned in Lebanon, Indonesia and Myanmar!

These include social picnics, a speakers' event and a film screening

​For those attending the Women's March Washington -- only

OPERATION HEADCOUNT!

We need your help! It is crucial that we get an accurate headcount for the march so we can best plan for the logistics and infrastructure of the event.

Please fill out this very quick survey (it takes less than 30 seconds) and make sure everyone you know who is coming fills it out as well
-- spread it far and wide on your Facebook page, twitter, and other socials.

Thank you !

Women's March Global Has Surpassed 1 Million Registrants!

Current stats:

NUMBER OF MARCHES or EVENTS GLOBALLY: 616
(registered) SISTER MARCHERS (EST): 1,032,110

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thanks Bigwave.  We will check this out.  Appreciate it!

JUST WANT TO ADD THAT THE HEADCOUNT LINK TO THE GOOGLE DOC THAT I POSTED ABOVE COMES DIRECTLY FROM WOMEN'S MARCH WASHINGTON, AND NOT JAMES O'KEEFE OR ANYONE ELSE! (who the heck is James O'Keefe?)

I work with Women's March Global, was among the first 11 to do so.  I am the director for the official Global Women's March documentary film and co-developer of the H.E.R.S. organizing framework, which is also our global mission statement.  Anything I post here is official.

Delighted to welcome solidarity events in

Madagascar, Malawi, Nigeria and Peru!!!

A Google news search Just Returned 2,730,000 related stories from around the world!  how is that possible?!

NOTE:  If you plan to shoot footage to submit for possible inclusion in the Global March documentary film, please assure you shoot in HD or UltraHD!!

Otherwise, we will not be able to screen  the footage in theaters or air it on television.

iphone6's shoot in HD. There are also inexpensive iPhone apps that will allow the iPhone6 to shoot in UltraHD, if this is your only equipment.

Allow me to also state that StoryCorps submissions are NOT required to be in HD.

(see top of page for explanation of this program with the U.S. Library of Congress.)

Hello.

2 Days Until March!

A Few Updates:

It is no longer possible to self-register marches or solidarity events on the WM sister-march website.

​If you have an event you still would like to organize, please PM me here, and I will put you in touch with an organizer.  

Please remember that we are shining a light on and organizing around Women's Rights globally,

and would love to use this opportunity to highlight pertinent *local* issues that impact women and other marginalized groups.

Women's March Global does not partner with events that are simply anti-Trump.

Women's March Global is less protest, and more a global movement to establish

actionable unity between women's  rights groups around the world.  

We are standing up a persistent network and will continue with efforts beyond the march.

Lastly, we are working with FaceBook to field a global live stream the day of the event.

If you are interested in this program and already have an event registered, please speak 

to your organizer for more information.  I understand there are some limits on where streams

are able to originate, but I do not have those details.

Thank you!

March On!

Wow,DC. You've done great with the organizing & the H.E.R.S. framework.

Looks like it's a great day to stand together for womens' rights.

I'm going to be able to attend locally. The course I am attending is ending early & we will be making banners. A lot of people traveling to DC. ⏳

Oh Hestia!

I am SO excited to hear that you are involved !!!!

I was unsure anyone here was interested other than Plwheel.

Do I understand correctly that you are traveling to DC, or are you participating in your locale?

If you are engaging in a sister event, may I ask where?

I would love to look it up on our map and read about your local event.

I am so thrilled you are involved :-)  Thank you!

Yes, this is an amazing thing.  I feel very grateful to be engaged.

Please consider remaining a part of the global movement after the marches.

I would love to see you at the event. If that does not happen in actuality, 

then I hope you will at least post a few photos of your time (with your banners!) !

You  might consider StoryCorps, or submitting for the documentary film. :-)

These will both become a part of the historical record.  And, this is a historical event!

Wonderful :-) I am so pleased you are present and accounted for!

Thank you.  And, HAVE FUN!  :D

....cont...

I just have to add that I am working with extraordinary women in the global arm of Women's March.

They are so vital and talented and committed and competent.

It is an honor to be in their presence and to work with them.

This entire global event has been organized by women in less than 60 days! 

It is extraordinary!  

Just imagine what women could do with this planet if given free reign to act everywhere!

We must fight for this right.

Humanity must not be allowed to slaughter itself due to a lack of vision.

March On!

A lot of people I know will be travelling by bus to DC.

I'll try to get some pictures from my local event, although I don't have the correct format for the video with my droid.

I'm just going with the flow..♒

hestia, Droid would be just fine for StoryCorps, which has partnered with the Library of Congress.

How wonderful!

We have a solidarity event being hosted in the 

Kakuma Refugee Camp--Kakuma, Kenya!

Have also added events in Argentina and Colombia!

Good day!

2 Days Until March!

LAST CALL!

UPDATED GUIDELINES FOR REGISTERING EVENTS (updated 1/19):

We have had a lot of last-minute requests for Marches across the world to be formally affiliated as “sister marches” by being listed on the Sister March website.   We are working through these and getting them added as fast as possible. 

Note that we will be halting our processing of additions at midnight EST on 1/19 in order to concentrate on supporting the Marches themselves. We may be able to retroactively add your March to this site for posterity and the historical record,  so please check back for updates after 1/21 if you don’t see it go up before then.

IF YOU ARE STILL INTERESTED IN HOSTING A SOLIDARITY EVENT, PLEASE GO, TODAY, TO WWW.WOMENSMARCH.COM/GLOBAL TO REGISTER

Thank you!