Ender

So... This Joshua Tree Tour Thing...

97 posts in this topic

You're not getting a Joshua Tree instead of a SOE release/tour... you're getting it IN ADDITION TO those things.

Seconded.

IMHO, they will release SOE this year and continue to tour into 2018 and beyond. I could see them going back to arenas to promote SOE as well. If they decided that they like the idea of a semi-nostalgic tour for JT, I could see them doing the same thing for AB/ZooTV-era when that time rolls around as well. In short, I see the next 4 to 5 years being very active for the band! :)

I wish Bono (and Trump) didn't care so much about their reputation and what people thought of them. In Bono's case, it's hard to imagine being so superlatively creative and successful yet still being overcome by such paralyzing self-doubt.  Well, the complete and utter humanity of the guys is a large part of what we love about them, right?

I'm glad to see them in concert again. It seemed it was just a short time ago (2015) I saw them last and thought it will be great to see them in the future, but I didn't expect it to be so soon. In fact, I was thinking it would be great to have a space of time in between tours so they could focus on the creative side of their craft. In any event, I could not nor would not (unless I was truly unable to) miss a concert with U2. Strange as it sounds, Joshua Tree was not an album I found myself gravitating to, but there are a few songs on their I really like. And I get the point of the original post of this thread, that the tour may just be a commercial endeavor fulfilled. In the end, we, the fans will have a really good time despite the mechanisms of the music business and its demands on artists. Who knows? Maybe U2 will throw in some surprises during the concerts!

Yeah surprises 'womanfish' at Twickenham would restore my faith ;0)

I wish Bono (and Trump) didn't care so much about their reputation and what people thought of them.

We're just lucky Bono isn't on Twitter dissecting all of the slams he gets on Zootopia... ;-)

A nice comment from the Edge 

however for me Joshua Tree was not a reaction to a political situation or any other than U2 reaching the top really

had listened to them about five years before that album and it is so rooted into my personal sense and experience of youth and U2 cannot relive it again live. I remember hearing it suddenly in a little wine bar in Florence February 2010 deeply moved how wonderful it sounded as a whole, got stuck to the chair hearing it and then oh, Trip Through Your Wires! how I love the song

but maybe the next album live, who knows 

Edited by jaanakulo

If we are going back to 1987...why not have Lone Justice open the tour with Shelter?  Do the whole album?   It's one of my all time favorites and Maria McKee's name is on the current back issue of Propoganda  which is being featured.  Am I the only one who knows this band? 

If they were going to do an anniversary tour...this is the obvious one.  I'd love it if they did TJT and Achtung Baby in two different sets but then the stadiums wouldn't be selling out, now would they?  I think Please is one of the most underrated songs of all time.  I'd love to see them do Zooropa. 

I have a feeling there are surprises ahead which nobody can predict or even conceive.  That's what they do best.

As for them not being relevant in music anymore; why were we all so freaked about getting tickets?  I disagree.  I watch the audiences and there are always more youngsters appearing.  One could argue music is not relevant any longer.  Nobody pays for it save those of us who think they should get paid for the cds.  Tix would not be $300 if all did. 

I'm just happy they added a second night in Chicago.  I'm gonna nab a GA the day of the show and go see whatever gem they give to the Windy City because it's always something and it's usually Bad.  Ever go to a U2 gig and say, "I hope they play Bad tonight.", (rather loudly) and look at all the confused faces listening?  Most don't even know the song and I listen to it daily and it's still the song I most want to hear.  It's even more fun to be able to say, "They played Bad last night.", and see all the worried faces thinking U2 is gonna suck live the one tour they finally decide to go see them.  It's late.  I've been writing for 12 hours.  Perhaps this will be deleted in the morning.

I was not expecting this tour at first.  Once it starts, I think we'll all be happy.  Albeit disjointed...that's my take.

Pop is always brought up as Gender did, and I agree, but no matter what they do, it's going to be amazing.  I want SOE too.

I'm laughing so hard at your " BAD " jokes...... Hahahaha...... Some of the best U2 jokes I ever heard !!!!!!!

AND.... I want MORE *POP* and SOE !!!!!

It's simple........

TJT30? : NO

SOE :     YES.

Something related to *POP* , like releasing rare demos and hardback photo-albums from the era ? : Yes.

As for current business......U2 should have shut themselves up in whichever studio they would have felt more comfortable in and went firing on all 12 cylinders to finish SOE and make it their best   album ever........But no...........

Oh and  POP  POP     POP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS :  I find plausible the theory that U2 were supposed to release *SOE* in spring 2017 and tour it throughout 2017//2018 and because of whatever reasons they decided to stall SOE's concluding sessions so LiveNation put pressure on them so they *POP*ped out this TJT idea.........To fulfill their obligations with LiveNation so as not to go through what happened with *POP* all over again ( I think u all know)...But I think they should have done JUST that.......Work under pressure until the deadline.........That's what they did with *POP* and that's my favourite U2 album................U2's best work is done in times of pressure, self-doubt and all kinds of sadness and conflict.......I totally agree........

Edited by pain_18_

Lone Justice really good band they supported U2 at the Wembley Stadium show I went to =0)

Thanks. One person at least. Loved them. Her solo albums have some great stuff too. Springsteen used a few of them when he toured behind Lucky Town/Human Touch.

Nope, not the only one. Loved them. Huuuge crush on Maria. Also saw them open for Tom Petty.

Count me as one excited to see Bono's comments on music bringing people together.  U2 has always been about big ideas.

A show for the left, right, coasts and middle america is what is needed.  I think that quote was the best one I have seen to date.

I am excited for this tour way more than the last one.

If we are going back to 1987...why not have Lone Justice open the tour with Shelter? Do the whole album? It's one of my all time favorites and Maria McKee's name is on the current back issue of Propoganda which is being featured. Am I the only one who knows this band?

If they were going to do an anniversary tour...this is the obvious one. I'd love it if they did TJT and Achtung Baby in two different sets but then the stadiums wouldn't be selling out, now would they? I think Please is one of the most underrated songs of all time. I'd love to see them do Zooropa.

I have a feeling there are surprises ahead which nobody can predict or even conceive. That's what they do best.

As for them not being relevant in music anymore; why were we all so freaked about getting tickets? I disagree. I watch the audiences and there are always more youngsters appearing. One could argue music is not relevant any longer. Nobody pays for it save those of us who think they should get paid for the cds. Tix would not be $300 if all did.

I'm just happy they added a second night in Chicago. I'm gonna nab a GA the day of the show and go see whatever gem they give to the Windy City because it's always something and it's usually Bad. Ever go to a U2 gig and say, "I hope they play Bad tonight.", (rather loudly) and look at all the confused faces listening? Most don't even know the song and I listen to it daily and it's still the song I most want to hear. It's even more fun to be able to say, "They played Bad last night.", and see all the worried faces thinking U2 is gonna suck live the one tour they finally decide to go see them. It's late. I've been writing for 12 hours. Perhaps this will be deleted in the morning.

I was not expecting this tour at first. Once it starts, I think we'll all be happy. Albeit disjointed...that's my take.

Pop is always brought up as Gender did, and I agree, but no matter what they do, it's going to be amazing. I want SOE too.

I'm laughing so hard at your " BAD " jokes...... Hahahaha...... Some of the best U2 jokes I ever heard !!!!!!!

It's simple........

SOE : YES.

Something related to *POP* , like releasing rare demos and hardback photo-albums from the era ? : Yes.

As for current business......U2 should have shut themselves up in whichever studio they would have felt more comfortable in and went firing on all 12 cylinders to finish SOE and make it their best album ever........But no...........

Oh and POP POP POP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS : I find plausible the theory that U2 were supposed to release *SOE* in spring 2017 and tour it throughout 2017//2018 and because of whatever reasons they decided to stall SOE's concluding sessions so LiveNation put pressure on them so they *POP*ped out this TJT idea.........To fulfill their obligations with LiveNation so as not to go through what happened with *POP* all over again ( I think u all know)...But I think they should have done JUST that.......Work under pressure until the deadline.........That's what they did with *POP* and that's my favourite U2 album................U2's best work is done in times of pressure, self-doubt and all kinds of sadness and conflict.......I totally agree........

Agree but just can't help but feel its your fault with your 'where in the world is U2?' Thread! If the band stopped posting their selfies on there theyd have got an another album out by now!!☆

☆this is humour ... joking lol

Yes P○p P☆p POP muzik we need more pop! Greatest U2 album ... in the world ...ever!

Edited by joshthetree

If we are going back to 1987...why not have Lone Justice open the tour with Shelter? Do the whole album? It's one of my all time favorites and Maria McKee's name is on the current back issue of Propoganda which is being featured. Am I the only one who knows this band?

If they were going to do an anniversary tour...this is the obvious one. I'd love it if they did TJT and Achtung Baby in two different sets but then the stadiums wouldn't be selling out, now would they? I think Please is one of the most underrated songs of all time. I'd love to see them do Zooropa.

I have a feeling there are surprises ahead which nobody can predict or even conceive. That's what they do best.

As for them not being relevant in music anymore; why were we all so freaked about getting tickets? I disagree. I watch the audiences and there are always more youngsters appearing. One could argue music is not relevant any longer. Nobody pays for it save those of us who think they should get paid for the cds. Tix would not be $300 if all did.

I'm just happy they added a second night in Chicago. I'm gonna nab a GA the day of the show and go see whatever gem they give to the Windy City because it's always something and it's usually Bad. Ever go to a U2 gig and say, "I hope they play Bad tonight.", (rather loudly) and look at all the confused faces listening? Most don't even know the song and I listen to it daily and it's still the song I most want to hear. It's even more fun to be able to say, "They played Bad last night.", and see all the worried faces thinking U2 is gonna suck live the one tour they finally decide to go see them. It's late. I've been writing for 12 hours. Perhaps this will be deleted in the morning.

I was not expecting this tour at first. Once it starts, I think we'll all be happy. Albeit disjointed...that's my take.

Pop is always brought up as Gender did, and I agree, but no matter what they do, it's going to be amazing. I want SOE too.

It's simple........

SOE : YES.

As for current business......U2 should have shut themselves up in whichever studio they would have felt more comfortable in and went firing on all 12 cylinders to finish SOE and make it their best album ever........But no...........

Oh and POP POP POP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS : I find plausible the theory that U2 were supposed to release *SOE* in spring 2017 and tour it throughout 2017//2018 and because of whatever reasons they decided to stall SOE's concluding sessions so LiveNation put pressure on them so they *POP*ped out this TJT idea.........To fulfill their obligations with LiveNation so as not to go through what happened with *POP* all over again ( I think u all know)...But I think they should have done JUST that.......Work under pressure until the deadline.........That's what they did with *POP* and that's my favourite U2 album................U2's best work is done in times of pressure, self-doubt and all kinds of sadness and conflict.......I totally agree........

Agree but just can't help but feel its your fault with your 'where in the world is U2?' Thread! If the band stopped posting their selfies on there theyd have got an another album out by now!!☆

☆this is humour ... joking lol

Yes P○p P☆p POP muzik we need more pop! Greatest U2 album ... in the world ...ever!

Well, YEAH...Hahah...They could post photos from the SOE Recording Sessions right there in my thread !!!!    Or Edge can post a photo that sounds like this :  Remastering the *POP*  demos for the fans, right now ......!!!!

Edited by pain_18_

Yeah that would really cool

I'm just going to leave this here.  This was on Sub gift "Medium, Rare and Unreleased" several years ago.  It's originally from the Joshua Tree recording sessions.  Notice the name.  I think this has been thought about for a while.

Ohhh interesting!

I'm of course excited for U2 to be doing something this year but I'm rather bummed by what it is they intend to do, even if it's the Joshua Tree. While I completely get it from a commercial standpoint (JT was HUGE) I was really hoping for some kind of POP retrospective - maybe actually "finishing" the album. I feel like the sounds and the imagery actually fit better today than it did back in 1997. It bums me out that when U2 gets backward looking (which they claim they never do) they seem to gloss over everything from 1993-1997. That was my favorite period! And they already did something with the Joshua Tree.

On top of that, how is this going to coincide with the release/promotion of SOE? Are they not doing a tour in support of that? I'm really confused.

I would have liked SOE and dont really believe the JT30 hype -inc. the rushed look and feel to the tour publicity flyer, video, etc.

My view I think JT is being used to create interest in the band to sell SOE off the back of - As there was a risk that SOE would be lost in the noise of the current throw away Pop culture because SOE wasnt completed in the originally announced time frame. I may be wrong but thats what the cynic in me says. That said looking forward to seeing a show or two of the JT30.

But totally agree we need more Pop, U2's greatest album and tour in my view .... love it Remaster .... Please!

I want to say this in a nice way and hope it comes out as such ... U2 spend more time in the studio making music instead of instagraming your holiday snaps.

.... dont believe the hype ....

+1

They should have focused on SOE - putting this JT tour out will be commercially a success, but creatively it is going BACKWARD. It is an unclear message from a band that once  proud itself on reinventing and being innovative. Perhaps a limited small scale JT reboot would have been good rather than slap it into the middle of SOI and SOE.

JT30 isn't a surprise -  everyone knew it would be 30 years in 2017. Yes the changing political landscape is impacting the world but really? Is that why U2 thought it would be great to tour with it again in 2017?

I often find fans go wild at the slightest mention of any tour. Yes it is good to see the band in person but we really need to be more critical (some are which is good) because that is what drives them to do BETTER. I agree with the poster above that is is to make £, meet commercial obligations and generate interest. 

No doubt it will be a good tour and we will all be raving about hearing the songs again. I would give up seeing them on the JT30 tour if they spent that time in the STUDIO making SOE  their greatest creative work - something to surpass the JT. To me that is the mark of greatness - not looking back at what you did before.

Perhaps I am a middle aged grumpy man! However, I still want to feel the way I did when hear JT, Acthung Baby for the first times. Blown away by something that is lights years ahead of whatever else was around at the time. U2 need to do that with SOE. 

You know... this kind of makes me think of something else. I'm a huge wrestling fan. Have been since the early 90s. Laugh if you want. But even now, 20 years after acts like Stone Cold Steve Austin, Goldberg, The Rock etc, WWE relies on bringing these names back for their big shows in order to sell tix and raise ratings (which are abysmal, btw) rather than developing amazing acts, deep characters and thrilling stories. I've seen all of the current superstars face each other a trillion times. What do I care about Randy Orton or Triple H in the main event of Wrestlemania (even if I love both?) Even John Cena has been the face of the company for over a decade.

I'm all for things like greatest hits and retrospective, remastered releases. It's fun to revisit things like that in a new, expanded way. But to actually go back and DO it again seems like... well in this case the U2 version of Goldberg vs Brock Lesnar in this year's WrestleMania. Meh.

Also, POP, dammit!

* POP *   dammit, yes, yes !!!!!!  !!!!!!     I never get tired of hearing that !!!  I strongly reiterate that a POP-Demos thing for the fans on here would be great......I can't help it but realize, though, that we are in the narrowest minority about this album on here .........

Edited by pain_18_

POP *Please*

did you not attend the ZOOTV or the POP tours? those were amazing...... i went to 8 shows in 2 different spots....loved every minute of them, but they went super extravagant for those, basically of that time the two largest tours around. so i do not see where you think they have ignored that era. as of the 2000's , i do agree they do not revisit more of those songs... but they tend to do quite a bit of the achtung baby stuff .... i would agree to more off the pop and zooropa stuff... 

Posted (edited)

Do the long time U2 fans out there believe this tour was created because Trump became president?  I do not.  I seriously doubt they'd bother with the idiot.  Why board a train you know will crash?  Leaders come and go.  

Great works of art remain and become priceless.

Such is The Joshua Tree.  It permeated culture(s) and will go down as one of the greatest works of our time.  Hopefully we'll figure shit out and still be here a thousand years from now and this is one of our great pieces such as Beethoven or Scott Joplin or Stravinsky.

I think this tour was inevitable.  How could you be a member of this band and not want to do something on its thirtieth anniversary? How many bands last ten years?  This was thirty years ago and was their fifth album.  That is amazing.  They have stayed true to what they had been, were then and are now.

Do I want to hear the whole album start to finish?  Nope. Skip Bullet and Still Haven't Found and a couple more in my book.  I've heard them too many times.   I did go to all but one of their shows in Chicago for the IE tour.  I went to every 360 show in Chicago...I think.  Vertigo numerous times and the same for Elevation.  Add to that Popmart, Add the other tours and that's a lot of time standing and hearing these same songs live. I don't want to hear them.  I want to hear The Troubles and Sleep Like a Baby and Bad and so many others.  I want to hear new stuff.

However, I think the truly exceptional greatness of this album can and will come back when they play it start to finish.

I hope they accomplish this by the time they come to Chicago but if this band has proven one thing it is that they can take on the  impossible and accomplish it no matter how far and how hard they fall in doing so.  They always rise to the occasion and triumph.

Hearing Streets as an opener is going to be very different than a closer.

I'm not saying they will open the show with it.  I think it would a phenomenal opening, but I have no idea how they are doing it.  I don't want to know.

I'm avoiding any information on this tour...if that is possible.  

I think that if they play this album start to finish, and in its order...it will resound with the greatness it achieved in 1987 and still holds in the history of rock and roll.

Mothers of the Disappeared is probably the U2 song I most want to hear live.  It is a relevant today as it was when it was first written.  

My hope is this is not the 'cash cow', rather; the very unexpected and unusual surprise which becomes truly special; the U2 tour many skipped and wish they had not.

I also think SOE will come when it is ready.  I want it too, but not until it is ready. There are only four men who can establish that and for whatever reason...

They decided to do The Joshua Tree Tour first.

Pardon the pun, but some times you have to go back to your roots to grow into something even greater than you'd already been.

May this be the tour that inspires them to the loftiest of heights, once again, and SOE be even greater than The Joshua Tree was in 1987.

If ever there was a band in rock and roll that can do this...in my humble (or not so humble) opinion...it is U2.

My prayers go out to London.  They go out to Brussels and Paris and Berlin and Madrid and every city where evil has laid itself or lies in wait.

May it be uprooted and stamped out for good.

I am truly sorry for your loss(es).

Edited by Manohlive

I'm just going to leave this here.  This was on Sub gift "Medium, Rare and Unreleased" several years ago.  It's originally from the Joshua Tree recording sessions.  Notice the name.  I think this has been thought about for a while.

Ohhh interesting!

Oh my gosh.  I had forgotten that!   You raise a very interesting thought.  Thanks!

Everyone should check out Ender's website.  I have, and it's got some very good stuff on it. (Not that I'm an authority on what is good but I am wise enough to be a rabid U2 fan.)   There's one song I'm especially going back to hear.  He also writes.  Check it out.

POP *Please*

I am curious if anyone out there bought and still has their, Pop pins.  It was a set of three and I think it cost $14.  Mine are sitting and waiting for the tour.

Does anyone else have them?   It's just an indulgent question so pardon me.

I've way too much time on my hands for a few weeks yet.   sigh   lol     So any Pop pins???????

Posted (edited)

I'm gonna nab a GA the day of the show and go see whatever gem they give to the Windy City because it's always something and it's usually Bad. Ever go to a U2 gig and say, "I hope they play Bad tonight.", (rather loudly) and look at all the confused faces listening? Most don't even know the song and I listen to it daily and it's still the song I most want to hear. It's even more fun to be able to say, "They played Bad last night.", and see all the worried faces thinking U2 is gonna suck live the one tour they finally decide to go see them. It's late. I've been writing for 12 hours. Perhaps this will be deleted in the morning.

Thanks.  I do it every single U2 show.  Four times for the IE tour I saw heads ten rows or a section away turn to look in horror and shock.  

The key is to say how you've seen so many shows and numerous shows this tour and they played Bad!   It's rather evil but oh so effective and hysterical.

Also...if it was true...they would have played badly NOT Bad.  That is funny too, but my grammar also sucks.  I'm a writer so I shall concede that one.

It's so much fun to do.  The other trick is to dictate and project your voice.  I guarantee a dozen or more looks of horror.  It's as though the $$$ they spent slowly burn in their now dilated pupils.   funny

"Why would he go to so many of the same shows and why would that idiot want them to play Bad?  What a dumb #@%$."    lol     It is so funny....especially when everyone has already gone with me to the current tour's shows and I go alone.  

"Never mind him.  He's here alone.  What a loser.  I saw the Elevation tour dvd and they sounded great.".   I almost rolled into the aisle laughing.  You saw the Elevation tour in Boston dvd and they did not play Bad, hey?     It was so, so, so very funny.   I cannot stop laughing just typing this.

Edited by Manohlive

Thanks.  I do it every single U2 show.  Four times for the IE tour I saw heads ten rows or a section away turn to look in horror and shock.  

The key is to say how you've seen so many shows and numerous shows this tour and they played Bad!   It's rather evil but oh so effective and hysterical.

Also...if it was true...they would have played badly NOT Bad.  That is funny too, but my grammar also sucks.  I'm a writer so I shall concede that one.

It's so much fun to do.  The other trick is to dictate and project your voice.  I guarantee a dozen or more looks of horror.  It's as though the $$$ they spent slowly burn in their now dilated pupils.   funny

"Why would he go to so many of the same shows and why would that idiot want them to play Bad?  What a dumb #@%$."    lol     It is so funny....especially when everyone has already gone with me to the current tour's shows and I go alone.  

"Never mind him.  He's here alone.  What a loser.  I saw the Vertigo dvd and they sounded great.".   I almost rolled into the aisle laughing.  You saw the Vertigo dvd and they did not play Bad, hey?     It was so, so, so very funny.   I cannot stop laughing just typing this.

:D :D :D:lol: :lol: :lol:   Me too....THAT was sooo fuunny !!!!

POP *Please*

I am curious if anyone out there bought and still has their, Pop pins.  It was a set of three and I think it cost $14.  Mine are sitting and waiting for the tour.

Does anyone else have them?   It's just an indulgent question so pardon me.

I've way too much time on my hands for a few weeks yet.   sigh   lol     So any Pop pins???????

These ones?

pop-pins_zpsdawa1hjg.jpg

I think they came with my Fly glasses back around 2000/2001

Ohhh interesting!

Oh my gosh.  I had forgotten that!   You raise a very interesting thought.  Thanks!

Everyone should check out Ender's website.  I have, and it's got some very good stuff on it. (Not that I'm an authority on what is good but I am wise enough to be a rabid U2 fan.)   There's one song I'm especially going back to hear.  He also writes.  Check it out.

Oh wow, man, thanks! :) Would love to know what tunes you're digging.