Sign in to follow this  
blur991

Wires vs RedHill assigment and Long term FanClub member

Mine lapsed last year and I didn't realize it. I honestly thought I had renewed. I renewed on Dec 25th. So I was just a day short keeping my long time status. I really hope I haven't screwed myself out of GA tickets. I can't afford decent seats. GA is the only way to be close and stay within my budget. We'll see how it goes on Thursday I guess. I hope this isn't the first time I don't get to see them live.

Same thing happened to me. Apparently too much time lapsed between my last paid subscription and the one I just renewed so I got dropped to the second group. Sucks...

Same boat myself. Paying member since U2.com started and Propaganda before that. Forgot to renew until 12/27/16 and was booted down to a new subscriber pre-sale.

I emailed the site and talked to a nice lady (call 855-867-5297) who said she would turn it over to a higher up, but she doubted anything would come of it. Got an email from u2.com basically saying nothing could (or would) be done.

I get that longtime continuous members who have diligently renewed before their expiration date should be duly rewarded, but it is a bit of a slap in the face to know that someone could have joined the day before this Christmas video dropped and get placed in a Day 1 pre-sale while someone who re-ups 48 hours after, and has spent several hundreds of dollars on a fan club membership over the years, is relegated to a new membership/ day 2 status.

BUT- I actually feel a certain sense of relief because now I don't feel like I have to renew every year to maintain some kind of spot. And after spending lots of $$$ on U2 stuff over the past 30 years (I think it's fair to say I've contributed a few bucks to Edge's Malibu development legal fund) it might be nice to save a $50/ year fan club membership every now and then.

So good luck to all those long time members who find themselves in the Wire pre-sale group!

I signed up in 1992 and have never let a year go by without renewing, but certainly not knocking those who have. Every December I tend to get a reminder email that I can renew early for the following year, as my membership generally renews in March because I originally subscribed in March 1992. If you ever change your email make sure to update your U2.com account and check your spam/junk mail folder as well, I think most, if not all, members are emailed in December as well regarding the next year's renewal, etc. There used to be three pre-sale groups devoted to fan club members, for this tour it is two. I appreciate the perk of ordering tickets early however I do kind of feel if someone has been a paid member for 20+ years they should be allowed to purchase sooner than someone who signed up a year ago, or perhaps they will change it so the renewal gift each year gets better the longer you are a paid member. But overall I am still quite pleased with what I get for $40 a year.

I signed up in 1992 and have never let a year go by without renewing, but certainly not knocking those who have. Every December I tend to get a reminder email that I can renew early for the following year, as my membership generally renews in March because I originally subscribed in March 1992. If you ever change your email make sure to update your U2.com account and check your spam/junk mail folder as well, I think most, if not all, members are emailed in December as well regarding the next year's renewal, etc. There used to be three pre-sale groups devoted to fan club members, for this tour it is two. I appreciate the perk of ordering tickets early however I do kind of feel if someone has been a paid member for 20+ years they should be allowed to purchase sooner than someone who signed up a year ago, or perhaps they will change it so the renewal gift each year gets better the longer you are a paid member. But overall I am still quite pleased with what I get for $40 a year.

I will add this: Please keep checking periodically the site and Zootopia - many announcements appear in both places, including those related to renewals....

I've been a member for quite a while (25-30 years) and was accustomed to receiving an email when it was time to renew, especially since they went fanfire. Alas, no email last time around. When I logged in yesterday for the first time in a while, I noticed I wasn't up to date, and my stomach sank. Sure enough, I'm considered a newbie now. 60+ shows and I'm a new fan. sigh. I know I should have stayed on top of my status, but a reminder would have been helpful. Also, a little consideration or a heads up from the site. I've sent an email, tried calling to no avail, but I have a feeling I'm SOL. I'll still be trying for tickets on Thursday morning of course, but if the seats suck, I may be staying home this time around. Maybe the boys will do a second round around the ol' US and I'll be able to get the GA's like every time before. I wish everyone who is going through the same dilemma much luck! 

Peace.

Something just occurred to me: 

The older we fans get, the more of us will forget to renew our membership on time.

Pretty soon, all the best tix will be up for grabs again! WOO-HOO

:wub: :wub:  :wub:

Much <3 to you all!

I am in the same situation.  I have had my membership for years (and hundreds of dollars) and when I renewed last week I was placed in the "Wires" group.  Yes, my membership had lapsed, but maybe a reminder from the site would have been helpful.  It's not like I don't have a few other things to pay attention to in my daily life.  I am very disappointed that tickets are going on sale in a few minutes and I have to wait 24 hours for the chance to get anything.

Same here with the subscription I let it lapse, now I am a wire.

To quote the Mirrorball Man  or even Macphisto from the ZOO TV Tour :

"For love or money???"

"Money...money...MONEY!!!".

Member since the Propaganda Days. Still have the issue that "Hasta La Vista, Baby!" came with. The CD is still going strong after 17 years! My favourite U2 album, in fact!

Lapsed membership, then signed up just the other day...yes, because I wanted presale access to JT '17 seats. So I'm a noob Wire.

Rewards are for those who are fortunate enough to keep shelling out the fees, year by year. MONEY.

Unfortunately, LOVE is not enough.

I'm annoyed at the wording of the email. I don't know, perhaps I'm being petty. 

It was the equivalent of a politely worded 'I'm sorry... who the f are you? Press 1 for Bieber, 2 for Buble, or the symbol Pi for any U2-related injustices you may be experiencing.

It went something (but not exactly) like this: 

heyyyyy man (or woman)! So, welcome to the U2 fan club! Since you are a new member and all, and we're too swamped here at THIS IS ALL WE DO, INC. to answer any queries you might have., we've decided to email you a sort-of unique code with a B on it! FUN FACT: B stands for BOY, ARE THERE A LOT OF RECENT U2.COM MEMBERS QEUING UP WITH YOU FORGETFUL OLD-TIMERS! C'MON... MINGLE WHY DONTCHA!

thank you for shopping MUSIC TODAY, WHERE EVEN A MINOR LAPSE IN MEMBERSHIP WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE DOWNGRADE TO NEWBIE STATUS WITH ZERO WARNING, AND WHERE 20-30 YEARS OF FANDOM AND MEMBERSHIP FEES DON'T MEAN DIDDLY!

(Btw, there is no C-Z code, so BEST OF LUCK IN STEERAGE WITH THE SCALPERS!)

If you require assistance or further information, dial 411 or consult a voodoo-man. 

*I know, sounds like I'm whining... but practically a lifetime of fandom, and here I am sweating JT30 tix. Best of luck, wired-ones!

Edited by ...or else

I think it's fair for the band to reward longtime fans who keep paying membership dues even in the wilderness years with no tours or shows. I would be a bit miffed if people who let their memberships lapse and re-upped only after a tour announcement received the same access and benefits as someone who has been loyal through the years with their payments and support.

Edited by newsman

As someone who hasn't let his membership lapse, even in off-tour years, going back to 1986, I feel compassion for all of the frustration. At the same time, I think it's fair for the band to reward longtime fans who keep paying even in the wilderness years with no tours or shows. I would be a bit miffed if people who let their memberships lapse and re-upped only after a tour announcement received the same access and benefits as someone who has been loyal through the years with their payments and support.

I get what you're saying, and you are 98% correct in my opinion... however, I'm not sure about you, but I have been spoiled by the pay-for-play sites that I belong to on the interwebs! I have grown accustomed to receiving a reminder when a PAID subscription is about to expire! I think these folks dropped the ball, and some long-time fans are paying for it. Again, I understand what you are saying and agree that those who were vigilant enough to re-up in a timely manner deserve first-crack at the ticket sales, BUT somehow I feel that a simple reminder or 'heads-up' to long-term, recently lapsed, subscribers would have been the decent thing to do.

Anyhoooo... best of luck with your shows! I decided to get some Bonnaroo tix and go see the boys in full festival mode! It promises to be a sweet, sweet thing! <3 

I did get e-mails regarding re-subscribing my U2.com membership. Never missed a year and I've got all the gifts.

I honestly don't know why everybody is whining about that.

It's probably easier to complain then holding up the mirror to yourself when you thought saving $50,- cause U2 weren't suppose to tour.

Please take your own responsibility in this.

I'm just finishing up on this. I am pleased (yet also fuming) that so many others feel the same way and got shafted like I did, a 25+ "lifelong" member.

I have to go to Cleveland but I got my GA. I knew Chicago would Suck, but I did get 'decent' seats. So thanks but no thanks to U2.com customer "service". Guess In the end I saved 50$ on the whole thing for that 6 month membership lapse (of which I never got a renewal email, I checked my gmail). So hey U2.com who wins in the end  :lol:

Peace out.

Edited by blur991

I did get e-mails regarding re-subscribing my U2.com membership. Never missed a year and I've got all the gifts.

It's probably easier to complain then holding up the mirror to yourself when you thought saving $50,- cause U2 weren't suppose to tour.

That's really great that you got notified! Some folks obviously didn't. But, you are absolutely correct about some people needing to hold a mirror up to themselves. After all, allowing or not allowing a fan club membership to expire is one of those character-defining moments in life where one can either find themselves seeking out a place (maybe a fan forum?) where they can vent their frustrations with like-minded people who understand what being a fan during presales can do to a person, or alternately, remind others how life can suck and then you die. As if we need a reminder of that fact these days. On a fan-club website.

Kudos on the reliable email server, btw. You win the internet.

As a VERY VERY Long term FanClub member (1 9 8 5)  ... I'm afraid I will Not Going to See U2 this year ...

post-288312-0-07431000-1362929325.gif

I think much of the frustration from fans is how the ticketing process has been for this tour. I have always known tickets were not a guarantee as part of the fan club nor was it the reason I first joined in 1992. However I do feel that a "long term subscriber" is just that, someone who has been a subscriber for a long time, not someone who signed up before December 24, 2016. In the past there were always three pre-sale groups for fan club members, this time it's down to two. If they offer the perk again for the next tour, which I suspect they will, they should make it four groups for fan club members. Those who have been members for 20+ years are in group A, 10-19 years are group B, 5-9 years are group C and 0-4 are in group D. You basically go up the ladder the longer you are in, that basically was what it was for previous tours in some small way, not exact what I outlined naturally. But the other issues and complaints are more related to Ticketmaster themselves and how their site can't seem to work properly, this is all Ticketmaster does is sell tickets, and yet they can't seem to get things to run smoothly. If I ran my business that way I would be out of business. I like many others am not a fan of the ticketless/CC required/you must attend way of going about it. If something comes up and I can't go, I should be able to do with my tickets as I see fit, be it sell them to someone or give them away, etc. I of course don't make any plans for the same day the band is playing in my area but if something comes up Id like to think someone else can enjoy my seats at the same time if i can't. 

Ideally, U2 would use the same system as Pearl Jam: Buy the tickets on the band's site and find out your seats when you pick them up at the window on show day based on seniority.

The first two rows are lottery, so the same people don't get up front every show.

Very fair and stops scalping.

I am in the wires group unfortunately. Do you thing there will still be GA tickets available Thursday morning?

Nobody knows for sure. But these stadiums are big, so there's lots of GA--so yes, most likely they will be available Thurs., I'd say--like Max just said. If it was an arena, maybe not.
Thanks! that puts my mind at ease a bit. This will be my first stadium tour. Do you have any advice for getting closer to the stage? I got lucky for I + E. Like is there a line and how early should I be there? Any advice would be appreciated.

For stadium shows, being there when the gates open is all you need to be in a decent spot. Lining up early gets you "on the rail" as we say but standing 3 rows deep is just as good in my opinion

I think much of the frustration from fans is how the ticketing process has been for this tour. I have always known tickets were not a guarantee as part of the fan club nor was it the reason I first joined in 1992. However I do feel that a "long term subscriber" is just that, someone who has been a subscriber for a long time, not someone who signed up before December 24, 2016. In the past there were always three pre-sale groups for fan club members, this time it's down to two. If they offer the perk again for the next tour, which I suspect they will, they should make it four groups for fan club members. Those who have been members for 20+ years are in group A, 10-19 years are group B, 5-9 years are group C and 0-4 are in group D. You basically go up the ladder the longer you are in, that basically was what it was for previous tours in some small way, not exact what I outlined naturally. But the other issues and complaints are more related to Ticketmaster themselves and how their site can't seem to work properly, this is all Ticketmaster does is sell tickets, and yet they can't seem to get things to run smoothly. If I ran my business that way I would be out of business. I like many others am not a fan of the ticketless/CC required/you must attend way of going about it. If something comes up and I can't go, I should be able to do with my tickets as I see fit, be it sell them to someone or give them away, etc. I of course don't make any plans for the same day the band is playing in my area but if something comes up Id like to think someone else can enjoy my seats at the same time if i can't.

Welcome to Trump's America, where millions of people support spending billions on a border wall as our bridges and roads crumble.

Ideally, U2 would use the same system as Pearl Jam: Buy the tickets on the band's site and find out your seats when you pick them up at the window on show day based on seniority.

The first two rows are lottery, so the same people don't get up front every show.

Very fair and stops scalping.

I like that idea