Sign in to follow this  
blur991

Wires vs RedHill assigment and Long term FanClub member

Ideally, U2 would use the same system as Pearl Jam: Buy the tickets on the band's site and find out your seats when you pick them up at the window on show day based on seniority.

The first two rows are lottery, so the same people don't get up front every show.

Very fair and stops scalping.

I like that idea

That's how it USED to be with Pearl Jam. (Formerly the industry standard, IMO, for paid Fan Clubs.) My experience for their last 3 tours is such that I think how they handle ticket sale is really poor.

Edited by peterdiaz

I'm the same although mine lapsed a little longer. It doesn't appear that any backwards checks on longevity have been made. Being a paid up member since Propaganda days didn't do me any good.

Having said that - neither did having a pre-sale code in the end anyway! all tickets unavailable in Wires pre-sale from the get-go!

As a VERY VERY Long term FanClub member (1 9 8 5)  ... I'm afraid I will Not Going to See U2 this year ...

Why not?

Ideally, U2 would use the same system as Pearl Jam: Buy the tickets on the band's site and find out your seats when you pick them up at the window on show day based on seniority.

The first two rows are lottery, so the same people don't get up front every show.

I like that idea

Me too sounds cool

I did get e-mails regarding re-subscribing my U2.com membership. Never missed a year and I've got all the gifts.

I honestly don't know why everybody is whining about that.

It's probably easier to complain then holding up the mirror to yourself when you thought saving $50,- cause U2 weren't suppose to tour.

Please take your own responsibility in this.

Well you are not living my life nor am I living your life. I lost track for 3 months from Sept-Dec 2016 ---- from 1987. I renewed when U2 kindly reminded me with their Christmas video that day. My life at 46 is complicated. Does that mean that other people like yourself who never lapse or forget deserve first dibs? YES YOU DO DESERVE IT.

What I don't like is the lack of caring I see in all this. Why was Dec 24 the cutoff from long time fans and new fans and not customer history with at least fanfire!? Why did they NOT shut down new memberships on Tuesday night?

Fanfire won't change my status and I want it changed. I have my tix too so now it's an honor thing. I'm fighting for my senior U2 fan-citizen status.

I hope everyone finds a way to the show. I got seats - not GA but I'm very happy I got in.

Edited by kellyjoe323

I'm getting more and more irritated at the 'I've been a fan since XXXX' posts. So what? I was born the year after the Joshua tree and the vertigo tour was my first gig, ever. Is my appreciation for the band somehow less because I missed out on Zoo TV? I'd have killed to have seen it but I enjoy not being 30 yet too so hey ho. Ultimately, staying on top of something you pay for and then renewing the payment or choosing not to isn't rocket science, and speaking as someone who's survived the Glastonbury sale, it is possible to pick things up on general sale. Certainly devising an effective plan for that or reading much of the useful advice on here is much more productive than whining on ad infinitum. Not denying for a second ticketmaster aren't being pretty naff and that it's not frustrating, but to quote Frank Underwood, "you are entitled to nothing."

Edited by MikeTighe

Well, I hope life never ever gets that crazy for you that you forget to renew before an unknown predetermined cut off date for getting into priority sale group.

We will have to disagree on the seniority thing. But I will say I've always been sold priority ticket access as a perk for membership for 30 yrs.

This Wite group was open to all the world and all the bots. Not so perky.

Edited by kellyjoe323

Ive memorised that I'm due to renew on 24th June and then renew the month before to be safe. I have a reminder on my phone and email, in case life ever 'gets crazy'.

But if you forgot to pay a bill on time, that'd hardly be an excuse - why should they provide you with access if you're not fully subbed up? You'd lose a season ticket or spotify access for the same thing, no matter your length of commitment. Like it or not, length of subscription is fairest way of measuring it.

You can't maintain it matters to you so much and then not renew like the rest of us manage to, on time. They're the rules. You may not like them, but those of us who renew even in the fallow periods do so for exactly this scenario.

Having said that, the wires presale clearly has some issues thanks to ticketmaster that need to be seriously looked at - and I do think moderators are passing this up the chain. But you're right, and it sucks, and I'm sorry.

I do however, wish people would stop bringing seniority and age into it. I think a kid who digs out their parents U2 vinyl is just as entitled to like the band as a fifty year-old, gig-going veteran. Passion isn't defined by how many albums you own or gigs you've seen, and what I like about this band is how inclusive their music and approach to life is - the clue's in the name.

Anyway, more practically, honestly keep trying the app and don't give up the ghost just yet. You were able to get standing GAs for London 6 at 5.45 pm on the IE tour on the day itself! Good luck and hope you get your dream tix one way or another. Fingers crossed.

It ain't over until Bono's crotch is on a camera viewfinder, displayed on a screen.

Edited by MikeTighe

I'm annoyed at the wording of the email. I don't know, perhaps I'm being petty. 

It was the equivalent of a politely worded 'I'm sorry... who the f are you? Press 1 for Bieber, 2 for Buble, or the symbol Pi for any U2-related injustices you may be experiencing.

It went something (but not exactly) like this: 

heyyyyy man (or woman)! So, welcome to the U2 fan club! Since you are a new member and all, and we're too swamped here at THIS IS ALL WE DO, INC. to answer any queries you might have., we've decided to email you a sort-of unique code with a B on it! FUN FACT: B stands for BOY, ARE THERE A LOT OF RECENT U2.COM MEMBERS QEUING UP WITH YOU FORGETFUL OLD-TIMERS! C'MON... MINGLE WHY DONTCHA!

thank you for shopping MUSIC TODAY, WHERE EVEN A MINOR LAPSE IN MEMBERSHIP WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE DOWNGRADE TO NEWBIE STATUS WITH ZERO WARNING, AND WHERE 20-30 YEARS OF FANDOM AND MEMBERSHIP FEES DON'T MEAN DIDDLY!

(Btw, there is no C-Z code, so BEST OF LUCK IN STEERAGE WITH THE SCALPERS!)

If you require assistance or further information, dial 411 or consult a voodoo-man. 

*I know, sounds like I'm whining... but practically a lifetime of fandom, and here I am sweating JT30 tix. Best of luck, wired-ones!

I'm with you... no email to renew my very long past subscription... not the way to treat your long term fans. Sadly tho, " I just can't quit ya" U2...

I think it's fair for the band to reward longtime fans who keep paying membership dues even in the wilderness years with no tours or shows. I would be a bit miffed if people who let their memberships lapse and re-upped only after a tour announcement received the same access and benefits as someone who has been loyal through the years with their payments and support.

I have paid every year forever - but with an email reminder. Did NOT get one this year, and remembered prior to the tour announcement but evidently after the cut off for Red Hill... so am glad to get tix via the Wired presale, but am not happy that us old timers did not get a polite but gentle reminder to renew prior to the cut off date. Have always been in the Red Zone before. Guess I am old enough to sit in any case...

Yeah. Same here. I have been a subscriber since they transitioned from Propaganda and set up the website subscriptions. Occasionally I let it lapse but always renew. I was lapsed in December but got it renewed (but after the cutoff). Good for those who are on top of their shit and get their bills paid and all that. I'm cool with you getting a day head start. What I don't understand is how I get lumped into the group with every bloke just willing to pay what they see as an extra $50 surcharge the second day of presale. I don't understand why Ticketmaster was selling memberships and lumping the longtime subscribers who had lapsed in with them.

And then there is the whole issue of getting on right at 9am and only having the option of 300 level tickets at the far end sold as "best available seats." With a day of persistence I was able to get my GA ticket but talk about a terrible experience.

Anyway something to vent about. I'll see old friends and new ones at the GA line in Seattle. Looking forward to this show and by then all of this will have been forgotten.

Love and Peace all!

Edited by tomokeefe

... I don't understand why Ticketmaster was selling memberships and lumping the longtime subscribers who had lapsed in with them.

And then there is the whole issue of getting on right at 9am and only having the option of 300 level tickets at the far end sold as "best available seats." With a day of persistence I was able to get my GA ticket but talk about a terrible experience.

Well, TM was selling the memberships surely because LiveNation (or whomever is managing u2.com) arranged for it. And I do understand why people whose membership lapsed are disappointed, but there has to be some sort of cut-off, no? Dec 24th seems to me to be a date that makes the most sense.

And I also feel the practice of slowly dripping in the coveting seats over the course of the day is a poor practice for a presale exclusive to paying fan-club members.

UPDATE: in spite of having a Scarlet B tattooed on my forehead by customer service, I was able to get GA's!

Woot woot!

But what a royal cluster-f%#! There has GOT to be a better way. From talking to fans all over the place, looks like it was totally arbitrary how this thing went down. One guy I know got GA's as a first choice, another one got offered relative nosebleeds. I got lucky. After about 20-30 refreshes on my phone browser, the golden ticket magically appeared! Is there something seriously wrong with me that I count seeing those two beautiful letters throughout the years as some of my most joyous moments in life? No? Well, would you think differently if I told you I have 2 kids and 2 granddaughters or that I once rescued a litter of kittens out of a sewer?

Don't judge me, bub... we're talking THE BOYS here!

So, yeah. I'm happy about the way things turned out for myself. But I am absolutely BUMMED that the same can't be said about so many of my fellow dedicated U2 fans.

Let me just leave you with something this guy told me once at a thing...

Happiness is not a zero-sum game. You can celebrate your fortune with mirthful gestures and loud yelps of joy, yet still have space in your heart to acknowledge the tear in your neighbor's eye. Gloat not over the girth of your relative mindfulness, lest ye be doomed to follow the lonely path of the twatwaffle.

- a guy that one time at the thing I told you about

Namaste, my friends. I pray that I see many of you in GA!

Edited by ...or else

Folks,

U2.com made a great gesture in January last year. All existing memberships were extended until 31 of January of 2017!!!!

That was a clear hint that a tour might be popping up somewhere along the line. Mine would originally lapse early December, but because of the extension I didn't have to renew. Everyone moaning and complaining about letting the memberships laps probably let it lapse back in 2015!! Stop complaining and take your responsibility and be pro-active!! When people let their subscription lapse there's always the risk of not getting what you want ticket wise.

I guess everyone in the Red Hill Group got what they wanted.

Thing is, when radiostations across the country start encouraging people to take out subscriptions you know you're in trouble in presales.

I'm happy that U2 takes care of their loyal fans.

I do however, wish people would stop bringing seniority and age into it. I think a kid who digs out their parents U2 vinyl is just as entitled to like the band as a fifty year-old, gig-going veteran. Passion isn't defined by how many albums you own or gigs you've seen.

Well said!

I'm getting more and more irritated at the 'I've been a fan since XXXX' posts. So what? I was born the year after the Joshua tree and the vertigo tour was my first gig, ever. Is my appreciation for the band somehow less because I missed out on Zoo TV? I'd have killed to have seen it but I enjoy not being 30 yet too so hey ho. Ultimately, staying on top of something you pay for and then renewing the payment or choosing not to isn't rocket science, and speaking as someone who's survived the Glastonbury sale, it is possible to pick things up on general sale. Certainly devising an effective plan for that or reading much of the useful advice on here is much more productive than whining on ad infinitum. Not denying for a second ticketmaster aren't being pretty naff and that it's not frustrating, but to quote Frank Underwood, "you are entitled to nothing."

Mate, You seem to have missed the bit where they weren't sending renewal emails and numerous people have stated such. I won't even go into your pompous, entitled, judgmental response. But you did miss the point, mentioned frequently, where this wasn't an issue in prior presales, But oh yea, you weren't buying tickets during those.

Again, no worries here. I got my tickets, as I'm sure others also figured out a way. The true point is to restore what should be a seniority based membership platform, as was the case apparently until 25 December of 2016.

The Vertigo tour was your first gig? So there it is, you were one of the "so-called U2 fans" that Larry Mullen Jr. mentioned at the time. Enough said.

Let's hope Larry steps up again in 2017.

Edited by blur991

Mate, You seem to have missed the bit where they weren't sending renewal emails and numerous people have stated such. I won't even go into your pompous, entitled, judgmental response. But you did miss the point, mentioned frequently, where this wasn't an issue in prior presales, But oh yea, you weren't buying tickets during those.

Again, no worries here. I got my tickets, as I'm sure others also figured out a way. The true point is to restore what should be a seniority based membership platform, as was the case apparently until 25 December of 2016.

The Vertigo tour was your first gig? So there it is, you were one of the "so-called U2 fans" that Larry Mullen Jr. mentioned at the time. Enough said.

Let's hope Larry steps up again in 2017.

Emails were sent... Actually, emails are always sent.

And not only that: the site notifies you that your subscription is about to end when you log in closer to your subscription expiration date...

It's true that glitches happen and in some cases emails could get lost... Having this in mind, it means you have to keep checking periodically the site...

also... sorry, but there are not "so-called U2 fans" or "real fans" around here. There are U2 fans, with different experience and points of view, but it's just that.

Please keep the discussion civil. Thanks.

Max basically said all my points for me. If anyone else found what I wrote to be pompous, sorry. It wasn't intended as such, and there's nothing I've written which isn't true.

There's no zero sum game as to why people love the band. We can all rub along together, no? Thanks for having a go at me for the audacious crime of being 17 years old in 2004 though. Appreciate it. What was I supposed to do, grab a TARDIS and write a secret propaganda issue zero in 1976? This is why the 'real fans' monicker is nonsense. There is no them, only us.

Taking Max's advice and staying out of this now. Not being sucked into personal insults. In closing, don't let your membership lapse if you don't want the best access to tickets. You can have some incredible experiences if you contribute to the boards and get the most out of your membership, and I honestly think in most things in life, you get more out of what you put more into.

Everyone moaning and complaining about letting the memberships laps probably let it lapse back in 2015!! Stop complaining and take your responsibility and be pro-active!! When people let their subscription lapse there's always the risk of not getting what you want ticket wise.

This got me to thinking if I have really been lapsed for that long. I just checked my email history. The last time I paid my renewal was in 2015 extending my membership though December 4, 2016. I did not receive a reminder email--I do have my whole order history and notices of new offers and show announcements that were particularly prolific back in 2010. I get it though. It's still on me to keep it current. I'm fine that those of you who were on top of all this were a day ahead of me and accept personal responsibility for the junk show that is my life (I'm regularly late paying my phone bill too). I'm just annoyed that as someone who has been a subscriber for years I was in the same pool as people who were buying day-of memberships directly on Ticketmaster. And I still find it outrageous that they released 300 level tickets at the far end of the stadium to the Wires Group first before the GA batch. I got it all sorted out after a day on the computer with multiple browsers open and my smartphone and a call to Ticketmaster. I got what I wanted but what an incredible cluster. I just don't remember it being this complicated on any other prior tour (well maybe back in the days when you had to call Ticketmaster from a landline or line up at the Ticketmaster outlet at the mall and hope the agent there had their shit together--I guess that was worse).

Anyway. It will all be fun and I am thrilled to see these guys on tour again.

No one is a better U2 fan and I apologize to @MikeTighe and anyone else that I offended. I love the band and anyone can love them too.

My life is a shit show too but apparently has been a shit show before this round. I went through my history of emails and here the same problem was addressed in 2004. So U2 has addressed this in the past my guess as a recognition of just simple longevity. Maybe that was wrong? Maybe they should have been more brutal about cut offs? IDK

I also think it's bad business practice for Fanfire not to take stock of a customer's entire history with them when addressing requests.

Anyways! Thank you all for posting and sharing thoughts. And apologies Mike! You sound like an amazing fan!

Edited by kellyjoe323

Don't worry Kelly. Apology not necessary!

I get why people are frustrated - been there with other artists and as I say, the ticketmaster end of this is beyond unacceptable. No reason it should be such a nightmare. I was actually trying to be more positive than nagging - phone reminders regularly save my life, and actually I do think with enough determination, most people will be okay getting U2 tickets. Finding a way to get them is always more useful than being pissed off about it - determination helps more than umbridge in this situation.

Scarlet Mist has got me into gigs I thought impossible many times. It is about not giving up though. Also, personally I've had a great experience with the fan club so think it's only fair both sides are aired.

Dunno if I'm an 'amazing' fan lol! I love hearing about all the tours I missed from those who are a bit older and the Sydney, Red Rocks and Mexico DVDs are some of my most worn discs. Just a different experience I think. It's funny, when you're a teenager into U2 in the 00s era in Preston, you get the piss taken a lot. I got a lot of comments about Bono not giving all his money to Africa. I usually threatened these people with a strongly worded letter via amnesty international, with an envelope sealed by tears shed during 'with or without you' - because that's how a proper U2 fan deals with conflict.

I like that idea

Me too sounds cool

Me too ... based on seniority Pearl Jam & Metallica Rocks !! I will Not Going to See U2 this summer ...

Joshua Tree Tour 1987

I like that idea

Me too sounds cool

Me too ... based on seniority Pearl Jam & Metallica Rocks !! I will Not Going to See U2 this summer ...

That is NOT how the 10 Club works anymore.

Members  indicate which shows (as many as they like) they want to buy a PAIR for.

Then there is a lottery during which member numbers get pulled. Seniority gets you no advantage at this point.

IF your name is pulled, then your membership number (seniority) is how seats are allocated. 

So, their system results in some members getting not even 1 ticket to 1 show, while others get pairs to multiple shows.

As a 10C member who has not had his number drawn for the last 3 PJ tours and the last EV tour it won't surprise you to learn that I think their system sucks.

3 days into a members-only sale and people at u2.com are STILL able to get GA tickets. There are clearly issues with how U2.com is executing the presale, but be careful what you wish for.

Literally  has been years,since  i got an email   reminder  about my  subscription  about to end.    been on the  phone  more  than once to speak  to Customer  support  and  added    this problem . 

I like that idea

Me too sounds cool

That is NOT how the 10 Club works anymore.

Members  indicate which shows (as many as they like) they want to buy a PAIR for.

Then there is a lottery during which member numbers get pulled. Seniority gets you no advantage at this point.

IF your name is pulled, then your membership number (seniority) is how seats are allocated. 

So, their system results in some members getting not even 1 ticket to 1 show, while others get pairs to multiple shows.

As a 10C member who has not had his number drawn for the last 3 PJ tours and the last EV tour it won't surprise you to learn that I think their system sucks.

3 days into a members-only sale and people at u2.com are STILL able to get GA tickets. There are clearly issues with how U2.com is executing the presale, but be careful what you wish for.

Totally agree - 10C member and struck out last tour along with a few other friends who are lengthy members. I have had success with U2 presales every tour and renew every year when i receive the notice that renewals are open. Definitely not a perfect process but pretty solid for a fanbase the size of U2's.