Sign in to follow this  
cdk034

who thinks they will play Joshua Tree backwards?

cant play where the Streets, still haven't found, with or without you, bullet the blue sky early in a concert set. playing backwards makes the most sense.

I like that idea!

I am guessing they will also mix in additional songs as well...otherwise it would just be 11 songs.

cant play where the Streets, still haven't found, with or without you, bullet the blue sky early in a concert set. playing backwards makes the most sense.

You seem to be assuming that the JT album will be played at the front end of the show - that doesn't need to be the case. They could easily play for 30 minutes, introduce then play the JT, then play for another 30 - 45 minutes.

And starting with a heavy song like MOTD - in a stadium - would be odd indeed.

I like that idea!

I am guessing they will also mix in additional songs as well...otherwise it would just be 11 songs.

yes sir they will def play more than JT., album is only 50 min in length. regardless when they bust out the album they cannot start with the hits on the album, need to alter the song list for the album. backwards only makes sense.

You seem to be assuming that the JT album will be played at the front end of the show - that doesn't need to be the case. They could easily play for 30 minutes, introduce then play the JT, then play for another 30 - 45 minutes.

And starting with a heavy song like MOTD - in a stadium - would be odd indeed.

yes you are right but opening with motd would make more sense then opening with where the streets have no name. causal fans expect a song like this to come later in a show. stadium shows need to cater to casual fans. its their bread and butter

"Where the Streets Have No Name"  

Oh, I am so excited!!!!  This Will be SUCH A GREAT SHOW!!!

And I like the playing the album backwards, bit -- live, on the instruments!

And sung backwards too!

Because we all know that U2 can do anything.

Edited by voicefromdc

I predict a first set of mixed songs. Then go into JT in its normal sequence, as the second half. 2 or 3 song encore. 

Playing it in order, in its entirety in the middle of the show makes sense to me. Similar to what Bruce did with The River tour.

Edited by giovannibolivar

I like the idea of playing it backwards. I understand that Metallica did this with the Black Album so they ended with Enter Sandman rather than starting with it.

if they start with the most powerful song, a.k.a where the streets have no name, they should play it again later on, otherwise the show would go from up to down from the beginning

They opened with Streets on the original JT tour for some of the shows - and personally think it was the best opening ever -  so all is possible

Edited by celt_martin

Just tried playing the album backwards. It sounds awful! Probably didn't do much for my stylus either.

Edited by andy scotson

I think it will definitely be in album order, but not at the beginning of the show.  Bands agonize for a long time over the running order of songs on their albums and if they're going to play the whole thing they're not likely to mix up the order.

Just tried playing the album backwards. It sounds awful! Probably didn't do much for my stylus either.

ha touché

I'm thinking they might play them in order starting with Bullet The Blue Sky and finishing on With Or Without You.

If it is going to be a set of TJT and then a greatest hits encore, it might be fitting if they had The Fly as the first song in the encore and onscreen showing an animation of a joshua tree falling down.

Agree with another poster..they don't end with Streets..they haven't that I am aware of (main set maybe) perhaps ever...

They will do JT in full and in order is my guess. That is how EVERY SINGLE BAND does it when stuff is played in full.  When I saw the Cult do Love it was in order..so yeah we got She Sells Sanctuary "earlier" in the set..  When I saw Slint do Spiderland in full..same thing.  DOn't break it up..that is silly.   Pearl Jam did 10 in full (in order) as well as a few others.  Keep it in order. 

So as the poster above noted much like Rush expect

JT to either open the show

break

Best of stuff

or

Random Best of..
break

JT

I am going to go w/JT being the start.  The run time for JTree is UNDER 60 min (actually a hair over 50).  Figure with chatter you are going to get a 60 minute JT set, 5 minute "break" and then maybe another 60 of "other stuff".  I love em too, but think.  Marathon sets is something I've never seen U2 do.

According to U2Gigs site:
On two occasions at the end of the 360° Tour, U2 played 26 songs, namely on 20 July 2011 in East Rutherford and 30 July 2011 in Moncton. They also played 26 songs on 27 June 2005 in Dublin on the Vertigo Tour, although as An Cat Dubh and Into The Heart are basically two parts of an essentially inseparable whole, some people may only count that set as having 25 songs. A couple of other setlists have been bumped up to 26 thanks to Bono leading the audience in singing Happy Birthday.

So..a Spingsteen'esque setlist shouldn't be expected.  JT tree is 11 tunes already.  You are gonna get Pride and Sunday..Bad in some cities, 

Breathe friends..its going to rule regardless.

I think that would be a great way to start the show but doubt they will do it.  Streets would be a great opening number; at least for me.  Then they could put Bad where Streets would normally be!          (dream baby dream)

So..a Spingsteen'esque setlist shouldn't be expected.  JT tree is 11 tunes already.  You are gonna get Pride and Sunday..Bad in some cities, 

Breathe friends..its going to rule regardless.

I try to go to every show in Chicago.  They usually play Bad on the last night.  IE tour we got Bad and the full version of 40. (dream come true)  Some of my friends will smack me if I even mention the song Bad between now and the first Chicago show.

I agree, no matter what they do it's the best.

I saw Springsteen's River reunion Tour last year three times.  Twice he played The River straight thru (20 songs) in order after opening with a non River song.   It was magical.  

I think U2 will play JT in order at some point in the concert.

I like the idea of playing it backwards. I understand that Metallica did this with the Black Album so they ended with Enter Sandman rather than starting with it.

That makes the most sense to me.

Edge brought up that they might start with side 2.

Red Hill, God's Country, Trip thru, One Tree, Exit, Mothers, Streets, Looking for, with or without, Bullet to blue sky, Running to stand still.

Which I think gives the build up they're looking for and good transition from Mothers to Streets and ending with running to stand still.

I would think they wish they could butt bullet to blue sky and Exit next to each others.

Who knows? It will be great just hearing them live again.