Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yardie

I would love them to OPEN with 'Streets' ! (MERGED)

41 posts in this topic

The 'one' campaign of a difference must be supported. It just makes. ' Streets' to be song No. 1 on the tour!

Great sentiment Joshthetree. I remember a great train journey from Belfast to Dublin in 87. One big happy train it was too. Much merriment. I keep thinking now how young I actually was, just 18. I think I earned a right of passage from my parents as I'd been at Slane a year earlier with my older brother to see Queen....and survived!

Just a memorable weekend for the Dublin shows, and yeah, the world in action team captured it pretty well for the time.

They opened with Streets when I saw them back in 1990 for the first time live at the Lovetown tour.....it was spine tingling.  

I don't care what they open with, as long as I am there.

ditto plus as long as they keep the promise: every song, every show

As we prepare for the Joshua Tree 2017 Tour, u2 is doing the same, and if you've been reading the Rolling Stone articles, one thing is clear, the running order of the songs (aka setlist) is still a work in progress. But this is not a "setlist post" per se. Instead, my question is whether u2 will or should open with Streets?

To be honest, I struggle with this more than one should. But, hey, a fella has to do something between moments of protesting against obergruppenführer trumpf. It would seem the smartest approach would be to tuck streets away until later in the concert, say somewhere between songs 8-12, and then start the JT portion of the concert in earnest. To some this suggestion will seem bizarre, since, after all, the name of the tour is The Joshua Tree Tour. But for support, I cite the Springsteen River Tour. For the first part of the tour, he began each concert with the River and played it on through in original album order, and, once done, added a few random tunes from the songbook. He got bored with this, and subsequently buried the River in the middle of the concert.

The River is much longer than JT, and thus presents a more difficult call setlist wise, if one is intent on incorporating additional non-album songs to the show. Still, the challenge is  there for u2 and the coming tour, and the challenge looks something like this. Streets has become a concert crescendo for u2 and their fans. Concerts can start like a rocket with Elevation, Vertigo, Even Better than the Real Thing, or Joey Ramone. But the momentum eventually slows and then starts building again, until we hear the segue song from the latest tour, thereby signaling what is about to come. As the segue becomes streets, the concert hall becomes church and the Divine transcends. The concert could end here for all we care, and yet we know it doesn't. There is more to come, and we are all the more than thankful.

Opening with Streets changes all this. But as much as I think about it, I can't come up with a better opener. I don't believe they will sing more than a song or two from Auchtung. Ditto for ATYCLB  and Atomic Bomb. One might be tempted to open with Joey Ramone like they did for the last tour, but I don't see that happening either. They can do that, if they want, after they resume the I&E tour following the next album's release. For similar reasons, they won't dip deep into the Auchtung Baby songbook in case they want to  do that in 2021 (plus they already did that in the last leg of 360).

This returns me to what else do they open with? This is a JT tour, not a greatest hits tour. So starting with a hit from after 1989 just doesn't make sense. I can come up with songs 2-5 relatively easy. Bloody Sunday, New Years Day, I Will Follow, and, well, you pick the fifth hit from the 80s. But I can't come up with a better song than Streets to open the show. I just can't.

I've read all of your posts about starting with Zoo Station and such, and as much fun as it would be to mix these two tours, I  don't see it. Nor can I come up with a great song from R&H to kick off the concert.

So I've resigned myself to streets.

Edited by kiss_the_sky

You bring back the red backlit stage, and those black band silhouettes coming out, and launching into Streets... that sounds like an amazing start to a show.

You bring back the red backlit stage, and those black band silhouettes coming out, and launching into Streets... that sounds like an amazing start to a show.

I think this is how it will work.

I don't think, however, we then just plow through the album.

I say they stick to the tried and true formula of fast-paced songs until around song five, and then maybe continue on with JT.

It would be so cool if SBS and NYD were in the first three.

I hope they don't play anything post Rattle and Hum. But Im expecting the Joshua Tree mixed up with aload of more recent and maybe some brand new songs.

Mmm start with streets or finish with it? Im not bothered, Mothers of the Disappeared can be a great ending if done right. I think alot of the joshua tree tunes will get a revamp to.

Rattle and Hum stuff would fit in there nicely ... van diemans land, desire, angel of harlem, god part II, Hawkmoon 269 ... start with that one and then go into Gloria ... I Will Follow ... Streets and the whole JT album ... then Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bad, New Years Day,11 O'Clock Tick Tock, All I Want is You finishing on 40

Edited by joshthetree

As we prepare for the Joshua Tree 2017 Tour, u2 is doing the same, and if you've been reading the Rolling Stone articles, one thing is clear, the running order of the songs (aka setlist) is still a work in progress. But this is not a "setlist post" per se. Instead, my question is whether u2 will or should open with Streets?

To be honest, I struggle with this more than one should. But, hey, a fella has to do something between moments of protesting against obergruppenführer trumpf. It would seem the smartest approach would be to tuck streets away until later in the concert, say somewhere between songs 8-12, and then start the JT portion of the concert in earnest. To some this suggestion will seem bizarre, since, after all, the name of the tour is The Joshua Tree Tour. But for support, I cite the Springsteen River Tour. For the first part of the tour, he began each concert with the River and played it on through in original album order, and, once done, added a few random tunes from the songbook. He got bored with this, and subsequently buried the River in the middle of the concert.

The River is much longer than JT, and thus presents a more difficult call setlist wise, if one is intent on incorporating additional non-album songs to the show. Still, the challenge is  there for u2 and the coming tour, and the challenge looks something like this. Streets has become a concert crescendo for u2 and their fans. Concerts can start like a rocket with Elevation, Vertigo, Even Better than the Real Thing, or Joey Ramone. But the momentum eventually slows and then starts building again, until we hear the segue song from the latest tour, thereby signaling what is about to come. As the segue becomes streets, the concert hall becomes church and the Divine transcends. The concert could end here for all we care, and yet we know it doesn't. There is more to come, and we are all the more than thankful.

Opening with Streets changes all this. But as much as I think about it, I can't come up with a better opener. I don't believe they will sing more than a song or two from Auchtung. Ditto for ATYCLB  and Atomic Bomb. One might be tempted to open with Joey Ramone like they did for the last tour, but I don't see that happening either. They can do that, if they want, after they resume the I&E tour following the next album's release. For similar reasons, they won't dip deep into the Auchtung Baby songbook in case they want to  do that in 2021 (plus they already did that in the last leg of 360).

This returns me to what else do they open with? This is a JT tour, not a greatest hits tour. So starting with a hit from after 1989 just doesn't make sense. I can come up with songs 2-5 relatively easy. Bloody Sunday, New Years Day, I Will Follow, and, well, you pick the fifth hit from the 80s. But I can't come up with a better song than Streets to open the show. I just can't.

I've read all of your posts about starting with Zoo Station and such, and as much fun as it would be to mix these two tours, I  don't see it. Nor can I come up with a great song from R&H to kick off the concert.

So I've resigned myself to streets.

I appreciate your argument, but Springsteen handled his River 2016 shows in a slightly different method than you submit.  For The River 2016 arena shows, that formed the crux of the actual original announced tour in the US in the winter of 2016, Bruce played The River in its entirety, in sequence, after opening with Meet Me In The City.  He knew that the majority of those shows would have hardcore fans coming out in the dead of winter, especially in the northeastern US, and therefore the crowd would be more receptive to this type of performance.  It was only when the tour expanded to stadiums overseas, and then back to football stadiums in the US on later legs that he steered away from the original structure and made it a looser setlist, again, as he noted on SiriusXM that the type of crowd a stadium typically draws might not be as receptive to such a rigid structure, and he might be pulling in some more casual fans, which would result in a tweaking of the setlist.  But to characterize Bruce as "getting bored" with the River concept in its entirety goes against everything that he was on record as saying during his last tour.  The tour was extended, and the setlists got looser as it went along, necessitated by its growth into stadiums.  I've seen Bruce play approx. 53 times, including 5 on the River 2016 tour, and the original structured shows from the start of the tour were some of the most transcendent I have ever seen him play.  The E Street Band was tight as well, given the structure they had in place.

My favorite U2 album is Achtung Baby, but I really think the theme of this tour needs to focus away from that period, if it's going to make sense.  I agree with you 100%, I say open with Streets, and don't look back.

These shows will be starting in broad daylight. Streets needs darkness to get the full impact.

These shows will be starting in broad daylight. Streets needs darkness to get the full impact.

I talk purely from an Irish perspective - we don't do darkness, we didn't have it in June 87!

We really do not need darkness. Dusk...t'is a fine word! :)

Plenty of dusk., ;)

Sort of Homecoming would be a good open.

Yeah thatd be fab

I agree, The Lumineers should NOT open with Streets.

Sort of Homecoming would be a good open.

Yeah thatd be fab

And another vote for that opener!

I've seen these "playing the whole album" concerts both ways: album then hits; and hits then album.  The best approach IMHO was the Pixies' Doolittle tour where they played b-sides from the album, followed by the album, followed by hits.

When I've seen it the other way, it somehow diminishes the album that gets played after the hits...cause all the mystery is gone from the concert, and you know how it will play out to the end.  It's much more exciting  to start off with the album you came to hear anyways, and then hear a mix of songs afterwards that can be anything.

In the case of JT, I wouldn't but the b-sides first - I'd start with Streets, go through the album, do a couple of b-sides, then a break and a second set of hits with a couple of deep cuts mixed in...then encore and you have a very satisfying show.

Tough call.... Such a powerful moment .... to start would be powerful... hard to top that Streets Moment.... either way... will be Epic !