Sign in to follow this  
joeseales

Best Venue to See With My 10yo Son?

The first record my son heard after he was born was JT and I plan on taking him to see U2 this year.

We live in Alabama but are open for traveling anywhere. Anyone have a suggestion on the best venue(s) to try and get tickets to this year?

Joe

Hi Joe. I'm in Alabama too.  Depending on if you are in South Alabama or North Alabama, your two best choices will be Tampa or Chicago.

Rose Bowl or New York

Different venue for New York than on the ieTour, so the experience could be different, but I had my kids at MSG and it was not a pleasant experience. 

I took my now 12 year old daughter to see U2 at Madison Square Garden (when she just turned 11) and to see Springsteen at MSG and MetLife (she was 7 at her first show at MSG, 12 last summer at MetLife). We have never had a problem at either venue, but she's a city kid and has been going to NYRangers hockey games since she was 3. She is used to dealing with big, noisy crowds of over-enthusiastic adults.

There will be plenty of other kids that age at MetLife (including mine, but she will turn 13 a few weeks before the show).

Edited by bgans

Last summer I took my (almost 8) son to see Springsteen at San Siro. We stood near the back of the pitch and had a great time. Lots of space around us and a great view of the stage. For a couple reasons I would not recommend taking a child onto the pitch unless you're ok with standing outside of the crushed masses:

1) It is really packed closer to the stage. Now imagine being crotch or belly height.

2) Before the annoying practice of people recording entire songs on their cell phones, my major concert annoyance was grown-ups putting their kid on their shoulders so they can see. If your kid isn't tall enough to see the stage from the pitch, then buy a seat!

I'm sure you kid will love it if he/she is physically comfortable.

What about Bonnaroo? This would be closer than Chicago.

I would NOT suggest Bonnaroo for a younger kid.  I'm in Memphis, TN, and we're discussing taking our 7 year old this time to Chicago or Miami (making a trip out of it, and I think we'd have more fun in a bigger city than in Tampa).  I was looking at Red Zone since it's a little less crazy, but if I'm spending that much, I'll just buy a reserved seat.

Edited by jgreen