Sign in to follow this  
cincy mike

For those who brought their child/children to see U2...

How young was/were your child/children?

GA or seats?

How was your experience?

My daughter's first show, she was 11. We had seats. I don't recommend GA for smaller children who may have trouble seeing or standing a long time. She turns 15 this year and I promised her that she could do GA with me.

My daughter was 11 when we saw U2 at MSG on the iE tour. We had seats in the rafters, but it was fantastic. She knew every word to every song and had a great time. We had so much fun together that night.

I took her to her first "real' concert (Springsteen, also at MSG) when she was 7. Again, she knew most, if not all, of the music and danced the night away. She's been to 4 other Springsteen shows since then.

We have always had real seats for these concerts. I'm only 5'2" and don't like spending the night looking at the back of other people's backs. 

She will be 13 when they come around on this tour and she's already 5'5". We are discussing whether we will get real seats or do GA for this show. I'm torn - she loves the music and loves to dance - I think getting to dance around at the back of the GA will be a lot of fun for us.

My kid is 9 and really wants to go. Im planning on getting seats in San Fran and then GA with him at the Rose Bowl too. If they can take a day in Disneyland, then they sure can wait 2 hours gor a show lol.

My concern is the view to the stage.

I was about 12 when I went to my first U2 concert. We had general admission tickets to one of the Oakland, CA Zoo TV shows in 1992. We were pretty much squished up at the front of the crowd right by the stage. We had to be pulled out by security as Bono came out doing his opening kick. I took my kids to the 360 tour in Chicago when they were about 5 and 6 or so - we got seats. We took them to the Innocence - Experience show in San Jose last year as well (seats again). I am considering GA tickets this time for the family, but we wouldn't try to get up front if the kids are with us. Probably still better to just go with seats.  

Thanks for this topic and responses. I'm bringing (hopefully) kids that are 8,11,14,15.  Would love to do GA just so we would all be together for sure, but will probably opt for cheap seats and hope I can get a set of 4 and 2 in same general area. (4 presale, 2 general sale.)

If I can secure tickets I will be bringing my two youngest 'kids' to this one (17 + 14). Have to, we fly out of Dubs on our hols the next day! Brilliant timing U2, just scraped in there by the skin of my teeth with that date for Dublin. We'll just drive down to Dublin a day earlier than planned! Its ok though, the kids know the tunes, they cant avoid them in the house.

My niece went with us when she was 11 on the floor for 360 Leg 1.  She did pretty well, including getting us right up front when it was a smidge confusing as to how to get into the inner ring.  She was 13 when we went back for Leg 2.  It was over 90 degrees in Met Life and she did well, but right next to us was another mom with her 12 year old who made it through the opener but then fainted before U2 came on stage.  So keep in mind possible heat issues.  In NJ they both sprayed us down and handed out water.

Thank you for the responses!  Helpful insight.  Much to consider

My wife and I are planning on attending the Cleveland show.

We are bringing our young son with us.  At least that's the plan at this point.

I won't say how young, but he's younger in age to the children of those who have provided responses to this thread.

We're going to purchase GA tickets for two reasons - space flexibility and cost.

At this point, we no longer feel the need to be close to stage, so we're not going to stand in line before the gates open.  Our GA experience for Chicago 360 proved this to be completely unnecessary.

Chances are, U2's stage will provide ample opportunity to see the guys on stage.  if we bought seats, i think the challenge would be keeping him IN the seat.  I think we'll have a better experience on the field with the ability to move around as needed.

Wish us luck!

I won't say how young, but he's younger in age to the children of those who have provided responses to this thread.

We're going to purchase GA tickets for two reasons - space flexibility and cost.

At this point, we no longer feel the need to be close to stage, so we're not going to stand in line before the gates open.  Our GA experience for Chicago 360 proved this to be completely unnecessary.

Chances are, U2's stage will provide ample opportunity to see the guys on stage.  if we bought seats, i think the challenge would be keeping him IN the seat.  I think we'll have a better experience on the field with the ability to move around as needed.

Wish us luck!

If you are bringing a child and certainly if you are bringing one under 7 (my daughter's age at her first Springsteen concert) make sure you have ear protection! I always bring ear plugs for my daughter. She never needed them for any outdoor shows, but at the U2 show when she was 11 (iE tour at Madison Square Garden), we were sitting very close to a speaker bank and she really needed them.

Honestly, I would also be prepared to leave, if you have to. No one will enjoy a temper tantrum, least of all you.

Both my boys joined us in GA for Boston 1,  I&E tour.  They were 11 and 13 at the time.  We ended up on the 2nd row.  Everyone down there was awesome, letting my 11 year old in front of them so he could see.  An amazing experience for all!

Wish us luck!

If you are bringing a child and certainly if you are bringing one under 7 (my daughter's age at her first Springsteen concert) make sure you have ear protection! I always bring ear plugs for my daughter. She never needed them for any outdoor shows, but at the U2 show when she was 11 (iE tour at Madison Square Garden), we were sitting very close to a speaker bank and she really needed them.

Honestly, I would also be prepared to leave, if you have to. No one will enjoy a temper tantrum, least of all you.

We have the ear protection covered.  Decent ear covers he uses for fireworks that shouldn't inhibit hearing the music.

i often use ear plugs at U2 concerts, even at stadium shows.  For me, it seems to improve the sound.

We've taken him to baseball games, soccer games, college basketball & football games and he does well in those environments.

But, after a few innings, or a half, he's ready to get mobile.  Hence the GA ticket.

I think arriving closer to show time will help, too

We're also attending the concert with friends bringing two pre-teens with them as well.

We're not above bribery to make him happy, but will be prepared (mentally) to leave early if we have to.

Fellow Cincy person!

I took my older son to the IE tour last year, and he was 8 at the time.  He absolutely loved it, but started to fall asleep near the end (mainly because he was exhausted from the day's activities).

I had him wear earplugs, but in retrospect, he probably didn't need them.  Generally, they're not TOO loud - with the exception of the Vertigo show my wife and I saw in Cleveland - that show was so loud it was painful.

We got really lucky with our seats - we were at the Chicago arena on an overhang directly in front of the railing around the experience stage.  We were about as close as you could get without being in GA - which helped with him being able to see everything that was going on as well as being able to sit down (and/or sleep) when he got tired.

I'll never forget how nuts he went when Bono came out for the show opener.  I knew he liked U2 - but he went crazy as the show opened.

I took my son at age 12 to the iE show in LA. He LOVED it. We went GA and tried to get up as close to the front of the line as well could. Everyone around us in line was so nice and accommodating to him. He has been waiting for the next tour to be announced. I will be taking my 11 year-old and 8 year-old this time as well.  Can't wait! 

Fellow Cincy person!

I took my older son to the IE tour last year, and he was 8 at the time.  He absolutely loved it, but started to fall asleep near the end (mainly because he was exhausted from the day's activities).

I had him wear earplugs, but in retrospect, he probably didn't need them.  Generally, they're not TOO loud - with the exception of the Vertigo show my wife and I saw in Cleveland - that show was so loud it was painful.

We got really lucky with our seats - we were at the Chicago arena on an overhang directly in front of the railing around the experience stage.  We were about as close as you could get without being in GA - which helped with him being able to see everything that was going on as well as being able to sit down (and/or sleep) when he got tired.

I'll never forget how nuts he went when Bono came out for the show opener.  I knew he liked U2 - but he went crazy as the show opened.

So awesome to hear from another Cincinnati fan!

There's not many of us in this area.  At least that's what it seems like.  Don't want to muddy the thread, but part of Cincinnati?

Thank you, and everyone else for the responses!

Going for Paris seats in 11 minutes time ... our boys (9 and 11 by then) want to go to. That will be their first concert, so U2 is the perfect one to start with  ;)

I got worried when I saw other posts that said there might be age restrictions for GA.  Maybe that was Europe?  Based on this thread, seems like its going tobe ok to buy GA for Fedex Fiield for kids? Mine are older than 12.  Any replies much appreciated before the presale begins in 1.5hrs!

I got worried when I saw other posts that said there might be age restrictions for GA.  Maybe that was Europe?  Based on this thread, seems like its going tobe ok to buy GA for Fedex Fiield for kids? Mine are older than 12.  Any replies much appreciated before the presale begins in 1.5hrs!

I have been wondering the same thing. Mine will turn 13 before the concert and she's already 5'5", so unless someone asks for her birth certificate, I'm not too worried about bringing her into GA.

These restrictions change from venue to venue. Best option would be to check the website and/or call the customer service of the particular venue you are planning to attend for that information...

Took my son to POPMART tour at Murrayfield, Edinburgh, when he was 5. We actually had GA but you were allowed access to seating, which we used - he did get tired near the end. I can still remember him saying - "Is that them in real life?" when the band took to the stage.

GA or seats?

How was your experience?

for my Son on his 8th birthday I surprised him with GA tickets for Chicago for two nights. I think the kicker is how much of a fan is your kid, how patient they are, and how committed to the GA process. My son never whined in line, once in the arena never said he was tired, thirsty or had to go to the bathroom. I know I am biased, but I really think I have the coolest kid in the world! Good luck on getting to a show.  here is a youtube of our Chicago adventure. 

Just spoke to Fedex field. No age restriction!  And scored 4 GAs - thanks to the mobile app, had tickets by 9.02am!

GA or seats?

How was your experience?

for my Son on his 8th birthday I surprised him with GA tickets for Chicago for two nights. I think the kicker is how much of a fan is your kid, how patient they are, and how committed to the GA process. My son never whined in line, once in the arena never said he was tired, thirsty or had to go to the bathroom. I know I am biased, but I really think I have the coolest kid in the world! Good luck on getting to a show.  here is a youtube of our Chicago adventure. 

Wow.

What an awesome experience for you and your son!

The youtube video documenting it is terrific!

I bought our tickets for Cleveland this morning.  No pressure to accomplish anything but enjoy the concert from whatever vantage point we have on the field.