Sign in to follow this  
lololabrute

Montreal and New York not part t of this tour?

Is anyone else very surprised to see Montreal and New York not being part of this tour? 

Are there any rumours out there if these 2 will pop up in the future for this specific tour? 

Thanks! 

L.

Most stadium shows for the NYC area are in East Rutherford, NJ. They even run special buses to/from the show from Port Authority.

There isn't really a venue in Montreal right now.  U2 hated the Big O enough to build their own venue for 360 - but I don't think that space is available anymore, and Parc Jean-Drapeau is only half-available this year, so it's just too complicated.  I suspect they'll be back here for the next arena tour.

U2 don't hate Montreal's Olympic Stadium, in fact it is well known that it is at that stadium that U2 realised they are good enough to do stadiums, back in the '80's. They have done Joshua Tree 87, Zoo TV and POP Mart at that stadium. 

The reason they did not go to the stadium in 2011 was mainly the size of the 360 Claw-stage, specifically the center spire that would not fit in the now roof covered stadium. They were other technical issues as well, but it was mostly the spire not fitting under the stadium roof, it was too complicated from an engineering standpoint to lower the spire by shortening the legs of the claw.

They could easily play the Olympic Stadium for JTT 2017.

Edited by passenger789

Metlife is NYC..I was surprised bout Montreal as well..I still think theyre coming up there 

For the IE they did more shows per capita  then anywhere in Montreal 

thus i think if the do not play the toilet bowl that is the big owe (Olympic Stadium) they will certainly fill the Bell Center many nights the following year

thus i think if the do not play the toilet bowl that is the big owe (Olympic Stadium) they will certainly fill the Bell Center many nights the following year

I'd be looking forward to that.  Love making the drive up there...I really kinda hope NO shows are added to this 30yr thing...I'm down with it being recognized, and doing the existing stadiums but I really want the focus to stay on track with new material.  Hopefully, late in the year with a tour next spring......If after next week you see shows added and this played out...you can forget any new music for an indefinite period...I'm stuill very skeptical about why its not out and this whole thing is happenning...but whatever

I'd be looking forward to that.  Love making the drive up there...I really kinda hope NO shows are added to this 30yr thing...I'm down with it being recognized, and doing the existing stadiums but I really want the focus to stay on track with new material.  Hopefully, late in the year with a tour next spring......If after next week you see shows added and this played out...you can forget any new music for an indefinite period...I'm stuill very skeptical about why its not out and this whole thing is happenning...but whatever

Yes great point  im hoping the same and if they get the new album out and tour maybe the Joshua experience will at least allow them to pull out some rarer tracks to add to the Songs of Experience tour

There is a train from Penn Station NY that takes your right to the Meadowlands, both NY football teams play here as well, NYC has no space for a football stadium, and all stadium shows U2 has ever played in NY was actually played in NJ.

U2 don't hate Montreal's Olympic Stadium, in fact it is well known that it is at that stadium that U2 realised they are good enough to do stadiums, back in the '80's. They have done Joshua Tree 87, Zoo TV and POP Mart at that stadium. 

The reason they did not go to the stadium in 2011 was mainly the size of the 360 Claw-stage, specifically the center spire that would not fit in the now roof covered stadium. They were other technical issues as well, but it was mostly the spire not fitting under the stadium roof, it was too complicated from an engineering standpoint to lower the spire by shortening the legs of the claw.

If what you say is accurate...they shouldn't love the Big O these days.  In the 80's, the Big O didn't have a roof on it, so it might have been OK.  The sonics are so bad now at the Olympic Stadium that you can't even understand what's being said over a PA system.  The sound at Popmart was horrendous, whereas the sound at 360 (outside) was fantastic, and the sound at the Bell Centre is passable.

If what you say is accurate...they shouldn't love the Big O these days.  In the 80's, the Big O didn't have a roof on it, so it might have been OK.  The sonics are so bad now at the Olympic Stadium that you can't even understand what's being said over a PA system.  The sound at Popmart was horrendous, whereas the sound at 360 (outside) was fantastic, and the sound at the Bell Centre is passable.

The Big O's sound is crap, there is no denying that, and the Bell Centre is actually very good for the type of show they have been doing since Popmart. I realized after creating this post that the JT2017 tour was a stadium tour, so, my bad. I do find it a bit odd for them to actually do this flashback tour, but i'll never give up a chance to see this band live. They are still the best at what they do live...

Hey Counting, I'll give you that, the Big Owe sound is pretty crappy.... I saw them there for JT'87 + I saw them there for Zoo TV, if I recall the sound was ok'ish for a cavernous place even for Zoo, like all shows there it depends were you are seating.

Although I can't confirm, I'm thinking most closed roof stadiums built in the 70's or 80's would all be bad for concert sound, maybe even all of them. Wonder what Skydome sounds like... do they open the roof for concerts when it is not raining?

I saw POP Mart at BC Place (was living in Vancouver at the time), the roof there at that time was just a light canvas held up by air pressure, (not like the Big O's roof which is steel/concrete to the middle o-ring of the kevlar tarp), and the sound there was also ok'ish probably cause I was on the floor not too far from the stage.

Lots of shows/other artists have still been done at the Big O after POP Mart, I have'nt seen a show there since some Canada Day celebration MTL & Toronto Symphanies played there in like '94-'95 (again ok'ish sound for concrete cavern). I've read that the last couple of shows there were not as bad 'cause of tech advances in concert sound design & they actually put huge sound absortion curtains etc to try & muffle some of the echo.... AC/DC played there a couple of times '09 + '15, I did'nt go.

Anyways, maybe you're right, maybe U2 &/or Evenko just don't want to do a U2 show there... good enough for AC/DC's sound (and One Direction lolll) but not U2 :)

And yeah 360 sound outside at Hyppodrome was awesome, people could hear the sound clearly for miles!! :)

Edited by passenger789

Absolutely in my 40 years of doing shows 

the 360 at Blue Bonnets was far and away the best outdoor sound i have ever heard