Sign in to follow this  
Centurion

Hotel Issues

Hello Everyone,

After getting my tickets this morning I went to book a hotel room using my contacts and got a response back that all of their hotels are booked solid.   I did a bit more research and noticed that 90% of the hotels in the downtown Chicago area are booked solid due to the ASCO Oncologist Convention at McCormick place.  Just a FYI to those attending the Chicago show and coming in from out of town. 

The few rooms that are left in the city are very expensive, have 2-5 night mins, or way outside the downtown area.  I would suggest Air BnB to anyone looking for places to stay in the downtown area.  The outer areas of Chicago have rooms (Rosemont etc.) and easy to get to by train from Downtown.

Edited by Centurion

Unfortunately, ASCO is the largest oncology conference in North America and people come from all over the world to attend, which is why so many of the hotels in the city are sold out. I found the map of hotels that are being used by ASCO attendees and I'm attaching it to my post so people can see which hotels will not be available.

2017-ASCO-Annual-Meeting-Chicago-Hotel-Map.pdf

There's a few AirBnB around the venue but very spendy.  Maybe folks in this group could work on sharing full house rentals?

I forgot about ASCO that weekend (its my oldest graduation weekend so I blanked on it).  Yes, as others have said ASCO is huge and planned, registered way in advance.  I believe there is also a Cubs home game that day as well.   Some of our med students did hostels for ASCO, might be an option.  Or maybe AirBnB?

There's a few AirBnB around the venue but very spendy.  Maybe folks in this group could work on sharing full house rentals?

The group of people that my wife and I are going with to the concert just booked a Air BnB apartment right near Navy Pier.  Not bad splitting it 6 ways.

That explains it - my family and I started looking for a hotel room right after they announced the finalized dates and things were getting snapped up like mad! I kept seeing weird messages like "Chicago is 55% booked for those dates - RESERVE NOW!" and "Chicago is 60% booked for those dates - DON'T MISS OUT!" We finally grabbed a private hybrid hostel room near Wicker Park but good to know those bananas rates aren't just for us!

The price dropped a bit on the per night price at the place I booked. Gonna see if it drops anymore before I change my booking. It's outside of downtown, though.

For those of y'all coming in from out of town, it might be worth checking out hotels in the suburbs and either renting a car or taking the El or Metra into downtown for the show. Evanston, Il (the burb just north of the city - where Northwestern University is - is an easy El ride. From Evanston on the purple line and then transfering to the red line, it takes just over an hour to get to downtown Chicago. (also known as The Loop). Just a thought. 

(I mentioned Evanston since I work there and it really is easy to get anywhere on the El or Metra. Just takes some planning)

Hope to see y'all there! SO excited another date was added! 

Looking to share a room for both shows, and Friday if possible. One person, have funds. 

Edited by zutopian

The Cubs are playing the Cardinals that weekend as well.  Lots of folks from St. Louis heading to Chicago that weekend

Check out Hosteling International Chicago. As of a few days ago (Febuary 25th-ish), they still had beds available. I've stayed there before, and it's clean, safe, and with a FANTASTIC location.

FYI - I found some decent hotel prices (not great) out by both airports, a little far but you can use mass transit or uber if you don't want to rent a car

Air B&B  is really good.This will be our 3rd time using it, and the other 2 it worked out great!. Especially if u just go out a little from downtown. We stayed in Wrigleyville and Ukranian Village. Both areas are really nice. Hope the stay in June will be another great stay :)