tan_lejos_tan_cerca

The Action Thread Part Two

WHY 2019 IS A CRITICAL YEAR IN THE FIGHT TO END AIDS

This year, nearly ONE MILLION people will die from a disease that can be treated with just one pill that costs 20 cents per day. 

This week, 7,000 young girls will be newly infected with a preventable disease. 

Today, 500 babies will be needlessly born with HIV.

As you’re reading this, a teenager will be newly infected with a virus… we’ve been fighting for 30+ years. 

These are not headlines of the past, but the story of today. AIDS is still a crisis and it won’t be over unless we act now.

RED Swaziland July 2018-162.jpg

THE GOOD NEWS? WE KNOW HOW TO FIGHT THIS — AND END IT. ONCE AND FOR ALL. SAY HELLO TO THE GLOBAL FUND.

The Global Fund was founded in 2002 to accelerate the end of AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria as epidemics.

The Global Fund is an organization made up of partners including governments, civil society and the private sector, and they mobilize and invest nearly $4 billion a year to support life-saving programs in more than 140 countries— programs that are set up and run by the very same people are directly impacted by these diseases. These programs not only combat these diseases, but  ultimately revitalize entire communities, strengthen local health systems and improve economies. Bill Gates has called the Global Fund “one of the kindest things people have ever done for one another.”

100% of the money (RED) raises goes to the Global Fund—this has helped save millions of lives and provide critical prevention, treatment and care services. 

This October, The Global Fund will host their sixth replenishment conference in France, the second-largest donor to the Fund. There, they will ask government and corporate leaders and private donors to come together and help save 16 million lives over the next 3 years by meeting their funding goal of US $14 billion.

RED Swaziland July 2018-13.jpg

It’s an ambitious ask, but US $14 billion for the Global Fund would...

• Help get the world back on track to end HIV, tuberculosis and malaria.

• Save 16 million lives between 2021 and 2023, reducing the mortality rate by 52 percent across the three diseases by 2023, relative to 2017 levels.

• Reduce the death toll across the three diseases to 1.3 million in 2023, down from 2.5 million in 2017, and from 4.1 million in 2005.

• Avert 234 million infections or cases reducing the incidence rate by 42 percent across the three diseases by 2023, relative to 2017 levels.

ENDING HIV, TUBERCULOSIS AND MALARIA BY 2030 IS WITHIN REACH, BUT NOT YET FULLY IN OUR GRASP. WITH ONLY 11 YEARS LEFT, WE HAVE NO TIME TO WASTE. WE MUST STEP UP THE FIGHT NOW.

These shipping containers are being repurposed as schools
EDUCATION

These shipping containers are being repurposed as schools

26 February 2018 11:35AM UTC | By: GUEST BLOGGER

JOIN

Join the fight against extreme poverty

Share on Facebook 
Save on Facebook
 Share on Twitter Share by Email

Story by Megan Gieske; photos courtesy of Breadline Africa.

Breadline Africa started as a grant-giving organization, where those in need applied for funding and Breadline Africa raised the funds to meet them. Almost 25 years later, those in need can still apply, but assistance comes in a new shape and size — infrastructure!

breadline1.jpg

Marion Wagner, Director of Breadline Africa, says that much of South Africa’s infrastructure is unsafe. For parents who work, this can mean sending their children to schools or care centers that are overcrowded or under-equipped to deal with extreme seasonal temperatures.

Few would look at old shipping containers and re-imagine them as schools, libraries, and kitchens, but the fireproof, stable and durable containers provide a creative solution to the problem of unsafe infrastructure.

breadline3.jpg

To become a classroom or childcare creche, the shipping containers undergo a conversion process that adds sunny windows to let light and warmth in, burglar guards to keep school supplies safe at night and full kitchens with indoor gas burners and ventilation.

The shipping containers have also transformed into libraries filled with books (provided in partnership with Help 2 Read and Room to Read), floor cushions, reading benches, and doors that open onto a veranda.

breadline5.jpg

“A lot of the areas that we work in are socially and economically disadvantaged, with high unemployment, huge overcrowding, and parents very often away looking for work,” Wagner said. Breadline Africa has placed more than 350 containers in areas of need across nine provinces, providing a safe space for children in the critical after school hours. “If we can reach more and more children, we can help them choose a path out of poverty.”

breadline4.jpg

In July, the program and its partners gave Oranjekloof Moravian Primary School and their 1,240 students in the Western Cape a new library complete with 7,000 books. In thanks, school Principal Mkhului Qaba said, “What this means for the children is they have a place of refuge, a place of hope and a place of learning.”

“Without an education, they really are never going to be able to find a way out of poverty,” Wagner said.

The Breadline Africa director echoed, “For children, their safest place is not on the street.”

There are hundreds of children who will benefit from each of those 350 container sites, which can last for 20 to 30 years.

ONE welcomes the contributions of guest bloggers but does not necessarily endorse the views, programs, or organizations highlighted.

La imagen puede contener: texto

👀 It’s time to see their work.
📣 It’s time to hear their voices. 
🥊 It’s time to fight for progress. 
🙋🏽‍♀️ For every women, everywhere.

Winner of the ‘alternative nobel prize’ turns desert to forest in Burkina Faso
AGRICULTURE

Winner of the ‘alternative nobel prize’ turns desert to forest in Burkina Faso

25 September 2018 3:43PM UTC | By: THOMSON REUTERS FOUNDATION

JOIN

Share on Facebook 
Save on Facebook

This story was originally reported by Nellie Peyton, editing by Claire Cozens for the Thomson Reuters Foundation

A farmer from Burkina Faso who popularized an ancient farming technique to reverse desertification is among the winners of Sweden’s “alternative Nobel prize”, announced on Monday.

Yacouba Sawadogo shared this year’s award with three Saudi human rights activists and an Australian agronomist. The 3 million Swedish crown ($341,800) prize honours people who find solutions to global problems.

Sawadogo is known for turning barren land into forest using “zai” – pits dug in hardened soil that concentrate water and nutrients, allowing crops to withstand drought.

The technique has been used to restore thousands of hectares of dry land and in doing so reduce hunger in Burkina Faso and Niger since he began to teach it in the 1980s, according to the Right Livelihood Award Foundation.

Sawadogo said he hoped he would be able to “use the award for the future”.

“My wish is for people to take my knowledge and share it. This can benefit the youth of the country,” he told the Thomson Reuters Foundation by phone from his village in Burkina Faso.

The country dips into a semi-arid zone below the Sahara desert known as the Sahel, where climate change and land overuse are making it increasingly difficult to farm, experts say.

“Yacouba Sawadogo vowed to stop the desert – and he made it,” said Ole von Uexkull, executive director of the Right Livelihood Award Foundation.

“If local communities and international experts are ready to learn from his wisdom, it will be possible to regenerate large areas of degraded land, decrease forced migration and build peace in the Sahel.”

Last year, erratic rains left nearly a million people in need of food aid across the country.

Sawadogo initially faced resistance for his unconventional technique, based on an ancient method that had fallen out of practice. Now “zai” have been adopted by aid agencies working to prevent hunger in the region.

Sawadogo told his story in a 2010 film called “The Man Who Stopped the Desert“.

ONE welcomes the contributions of guest bloggers but does not necessarily endorse the views, programs, or organisations highlighted.

GIRLS AND WOMEN

This Ethiopian entrepreneur is breaking tradition to empower women

24 October 2018 4:48PM UTC | By: ABLE

JOIN

Share on Facebook 
Save on Facebook

In this series, we’re introducing you to strong and savvy female entrepreneurs from Ethiopia who have partnered with social enterprise and lifestyle brand ABLE.

Semhal Guesh grew up in Ethiopia hearing a phrase many young girls her age did not: “You can do whatever you want.”

Now 27 years old, it’s no coincidence that Semhal has become a designer, architect, and entrepreneur. She now runs Kabana, a leather production company in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia’s capital and largest city, and through her company, she helps other women realise their full potential.

ABLE_KABANA_SEP_2018_BY_ARON_SIMENEH-294
“Most of my life, my father told me I could accomplish any ideas that I had; that I had no limits,” said Semhal. “In Ethiopia, every family is male-dominated and sons are given more chances than daughters. But with my dad, that was not the case.”

Semhal recognizes that if she had grown up in rural Ethiopia or with parents less encouraging than her own, she might have been expected to stop her education at 12 years old and get married. Instead, Semhal dreamed of becoming an astronaut or an astrophysicist because she hadn’t seen a lot of women in those professions. But it was architecture that won over Semhal for the ability to create something both beautiful and functional.

ABLE_KABANA_SEP_2018_BY_ARON_SIMENEH-294While studying for her Bachelors in Architecture, she picked up a few leather samples at a local market and began designing with it. Suddenly, her dormitory transformed into a small workshop with a handful of women hand stitching products to sell at bazaars.

“By day, we’d go to lectures and we’d make leather products at night,” said Semhal. “It was more about the joy of designing and turning our work into an actual reality. It wasn’t to earn money. It was something we could do together.”

After graduation, Semhal began working in architecture full-time while still managing to grow her leather business. Her supervisor at the architecture firm saw her passion and encouraged her to spend more time focused on her growing leather company until she eventually made the decision to devote all her time to Kabana.

“It was a hectic time, but my motivation was seeing how the job and income were changing the life of my first employee,” said Semhal. “She came to me with minimum knowledge or experience, but I taught her how to cut and stitch leather and design development. In time, I saw her changing, knowing what to do, and unafraid to share her ideas because she had the freedom to speak out. I thought ‘I’m paying somebody who supports their family. I’m part of the generation that’s creating opportunities and income for her.’”
Today, Semhal and her staff of 31 are in high demand, thanks in part to her background in architecture, which gives her an eye for design and an understanding of technical specifications. Kababa creates handmade leather bags, wallets, folders, and custom products for clients in Ethiopia, the U.S., and Sweden.

On a mission to give other women the same support she has received, Semhal is focused on motivating the women she hires to expect more for themselves. She enrolls her employees in different training programs to help them realize their value and potential, invests in their new business ideas through loans, offers paid time away from work, mentorship, and coaching.

“Everyone is shy in Ethiopia, especially girls,” said Semhal. “I tell my employees about myself, how I got to where I am, and that not everything is easy. Then I push them to have a conversation with other women. I want them to know they don’t have to be closed off.”

ABLE_KABANA_SEP_2018_BY_ARON_SIMENEH-294Thankfully, Semhal believes her country’s view of women is changing, evidenced by recent changes such as the government’s decision to back women’s education and the creation of various leadership and professional associations.

As more doors open for women in Ethiopia, Semhal continues to raise the bar on women’s equality, safety, wages and benefits in the workplace. Through her company’s partnership with ABLE, Kabana has undergone the ACCOUNTABLE social impact audit and found opportunities to improve her wages, maternity leave policy, medical coverage, and employment practices.

ABLE_KABANA_SEP_2018_BY_ARON_SIMENEH-294“Ethiopia doesn’t have a set minimum wage policy,” said Semhal. “When ABLE introduced liveable wages to KABANA, it gave us a new benchmark.”

“I want to show that you can be an entrepreneur and be young and a woman,” said Semhal. “It takes a lot of convincing, but I’m not one to back away from a challenge. Breaking the tradition starts with hearing the stories about other women and their success.”

ABLE is publishing its lowest wages to protect and empower the fashion industry’s most vulnerable workers, most of whom are women. To provide consumers with complete transparency, all their partners must go through the rigorous and exhaustive ACCOUNTABLE assessment, evaluating their workplace’s equality, safety, wages and benefits, with a particular emphasis on women. To learn more about ABLE’s #PUBLISHYOURWAGES movement that inspires consumers to demand greater transparency of their favourite brands, visit www.livefashionable.com/publishyourwages.

ONE welcomes the contributions of guest bloggers but does not necessarily endorse the views, programs, or organisations highlighted.

10 facts you need to know about Nelson Mandela
CULTURE

10 facts you need to know about Nelson Mandela

11 July 2018 11:57AM UTC | By: SADOF ALEXANDER

JOIN

Share on Facebook 
Save on Facebook

It’s hard to keep track of all the incredible things about Nelson Mandela and his accomplishments. We’re clearly inspired by his actions and wisdom, and there’s still even more to know about him! You may remember these 7 facts about Nelson Mandela, and there are a few more to add to the list!

1. His birth name was Rolihlahla Mandela. His primary school teacher gave him the name Nelson.

2. He began his long road to a college degree at the University College of Fort Hare in 1931. He was expelled for participating in a protest against the university’s policies.

3. After leaving the University College of Fort Hare, the King of his village threatened to arrange marriages for him and his cousin, Justice. They both ran away to Johannesburg to avoid the marriages.

4. He, along with fellow ANC member Oliver Tambo, established South Africa’s first black law practice in 1952. His practice primarily worked in challenging apartheid laws, including South Africa’s “pass laws,” which required non-white citizens to carry documents authorizing their presence in “restricted” areas.

5. In order to leave the country (which he was banned from doing), he used the name David Motsamayi to get out of South Africa in secret.

6. His activism continued while in prison, both inside its walls and out. He was a mentor to other prisoners and taught them about nonviolent resistance. He also sent notes to the outside world and was a consistent symbol for the anti-apartheid movement.

7. He loved sports and even used them as part of his activism. He believed that sport “has the power to change the world…it has the power to inspire. It has the power to unite people in a way that little else does. It speaks to youth in a language they understand. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair. It is more powerful than government in breaking down racial barriers.”

8. He was released from prison in 1990 by President Frederik Willem de Klerk. The two now share a Nobel Peace Prize.

9. He voted for the first time in his life in 1994 – at 76 years old!

10. Mandela Day is July 18th, with this year being the centenary of Nelson Mandela’s birth in 1918. This year, you can celebrate by taking #ActionAgainstPoverty with the Nelson Mandela Foundation!

GIRLS & WOMEN

How One Girl Scout Fought Against Child Marriage in New Hampshire and Won

New Hampshire voted to raise the minimum age of marriage from 13 to 16 — a big step forward.

cassandra-leveseque-girl-scout-child-marriage.png__1264x568_q85_crop_subsampling-2.png
 Courtesy of Cassandra Levesque

Girl Scout Cassandra Levesque was shocked to learn last year that, at age 17, she was not just above the minimum marriage age in her home state of New Hampshire, but well above it. That moment became the catalyst for her fight to raise the minimum age of marriage in the “Granite State” from 13 to 18.

Her efforts paid off on May 2, when the New Hampshire State Senate unanimously passed a bill to raise the minimum marriage age to 16, the Concord Monitor reported.

Until Gov. Chris Sununu signs the bill, girls as young as 13 and boys as young as 14 can be married with parental consent and a judge’s approval in the state. Gov. Sununu has expressed support for the bill and is expected to signit into law.

Take Action: Tell world leaders to stop child marriage for good

“Virtually everyone agrees that the marriage of a 13-year-old child is unconscionable,” Gov. Sununu said after the New Hampshire House of Representatives passed the bill in March.

The bill itself was a result of Levesque’s campaigning efforts, which were the focus of her  capstone Girl Scout Gold Award project. And though the bill falls short of Levesque’s goal of raising the minimum age to 18, the college freshman considers the progressive step both a personal victory and a win for girls across New Hampshire.

“I was very proud of the fact that I changed something that has been going on for so long and nobody knew until I spoke up,” Levesque told the Concord Monitor

Over the course of her year-long campaign to change the law, the teen learned that both her grandmother and great-grandmother married before they turned 18, hoping to escape ongoing domestic abuse only to find themselves in abusive marriages.

Read more: Yes, Forced Child Marriages Happen in the US, Too

Legal loopholes allow children in the US to be married before their 18th birthdays in every state, except Delaware — which became the first state to ban child marriage by raising the minimum marriage age to 18 without exceptions just last week.

The nonprofit Unchained At Last estimates that nearly 250,000 children were married in the US between 2000 and 2010. And most of those in child marriages in the US are younger girls married to adult men.

While Delaware is the first state to pass a bill banning child marriage, it wasn’t the first to try. Similar bills have been considered Arizona, Florida, Tennessee, and New Jersey recently, but, as in New Hampshire, the bills did not succeed in setting the minimum marriage age at 18 without exception, though several did manage to increase the minimum age of marriage.

Read more: Delaware Is the First State Ever to Ban Child Marriage

Levesque is still hopeful that New Hampshire will follow Delaware’s lead.

What can you do to help fight Child Marriage? Talk about it! This hideous act hides in the shadows of society, we need to keep it in the spotlight. We need to make sure that everyone knows it happens and we have to fight it on every level.

"I would have liked to see it changed to 18 because that's when you're considered an adult," Levesque told Refinery29. "But 16 is a middle ground. It's a step further."

Global Citizen campaigns in support of gender equality and women’s rights. You can take action here to call on lawmakers to put an end to child marriage and protect women and girls everywhere.

ENVIRONMENT

A Japanese Island Just Disappeared Into the Pacific Ocean

There’s only one way to stop the inevitability of sea level rise.

Why Global Citizens Should Care
Climate change is causing sea levels to rise and storms to get more extreme, threatening the existence of islands and coastlines around the world. You can join us in taking action on this issue here.

A small island off the northeast coast of Japan recently slipped under the waves, becoming the latest victim of rising sea levels, according to the Guardian.

The island, Esanbe Hanakita Kojima, was uninhabited and spanned less than a mile.

Its tiny size may explain why its disappearance went unnoticed for several weeks until the author Hiroshi Shimizu visited the town of Sarufutsu, which has a view of the island, to work on a sequel of a picture book on Japan’s “hidden islands,” the Guardian reports.

Take Action: Ensure All Communities Can Withstand Climate Disaster

Actúa: Firma

1 punto

United StatesUnited KingdomGermanyCanadaAustraliaAfghanistanÅland IslandsAlbaniaAlgeriaAmerican SamoaAndorraAngolaAnguillaAntarcticaAntigua and BarbudaArgentinaArmeniaArubaAustriaAzerbaijanBahamasBahrainBangladeshBarbadosBelarusBelgiumBelizeBeninBermudaBhutanBoliviaBonaire, Sint Eustatius and SabaBosnia and HerzegovinaBotswanaBouvet IslandBrazilBritish Indian Ocean TerritoryBruneiBulgariaBurkina FasoBurundiCabo VerdeCambodiaCameroonCayman IslandsCentral African RepublicChadChileChinaChristmas IslandCocos (Keeling) IslandsColombiaComorosCongoCongo (the Democratic Republic of the)Cook IslandsCosta RicaCôte d'IvoireCroatiaCubaCuraçaoCyprusCzech RepublicDenmarkDjiboutiDominicaDominican RepublicEcuadorEgyptEl SalvadorEquatorial GuineaEritreaEstoniaEthiopiaFalkland Islands  [Malvinas]Faroe IslandsFijiFinlandFranceFrench GuianaFrench PolynesiaFrench Southern TerritoriesGabonGambia (The)GeorgiaGhanaGibraltarGreeceGreenlandGrenadaGuadeloupeGuamGuatemalaGuernseyGuineaGuinea-BissauGuyanaHaitiHeard Island and McDonald IslandsHoly See  [Vatican City State]HondurasHong KongHungaryIcelandIndiaIndonesiaIranIraqIrelandIsle of ManIsraelItalyJamaicaJapanJerseyJordanKazakhstanKenyaKiribatiKuwaitKyrgyzstanLaosLatviaLebanonLesothoLiberiaLibyaLiechtensteinLithuaniaLuxembourgMacaoMacedoniaMadagascarMalawiMalaysiaMaldivesMaliMaltaMarshall IslandsMartiniqueMauritaniaMauritiusMayotteMexicoMicronesia (the Federated States of)MoldoviaMonacoMongoliaMontenegroMontserratMoroccoMozambiqueMyanmarNamibiaNauruNepalNetherlandsNew CaledoniaNew ZealandNicaraguaNigerNigeriaNiueNorfolk IslandNorth KoreaNorthern Mariana IslandsNorwayOmanPakistanPalauPalestine, State ofPanamaPapua New GuineaParaguayPeruPhilippinesPitcairnPolandPortugalPuerto RicoQatarRéunionRomaniaRussiaRwandaSaint BarthélemySaint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da CunhaSaint Kitts and NevisSaint LuciaSaint Martin (French part)Saint Pierre and MiquelonSaint Vincent and the GrenadinesSamoaSan MarinoSao Tome and PrincipeSaudi ArabiaSenegalSerbiaSeychellesSierra LeoneSingaporeSint Maarten (Dutch part)SlovakiaSloveniaSolomon IslandsSomaliaSouth AfricaSouth Georgia and the South Sandwich IslandsSouth KoreaSouth SudanSpainSri LankaSudanSurinameSvalbard and Jan MayenSwazilandSwedenSwitzerlandSyriaTaiwanTajikistanTanzaniaThailandTimor-LesteTogoTokelauTongaTrinidad and TobagoTunisiaTurkeyTurkmenistanTurks and Caicos IslandsTuvaluUgandaUkraineUnited Arab EmiratesUnited States Minor Outlying IslandsUruguayUzbekistanVanuatuVenezuelaVietnamVirgin Islands (British)Virgin Islands (U.S.)Wallis and FutunaWestern SaharaYemenZambiaZimbabwe

When he looked out to the Pacific Ocean, he noticed the island had vanished and he alerted local fishing authorities who, after conducting a survey, agreed that it had been swallowed by the ocean.

Japan’s coast guard will confirm the island’s fate in the weeks ahead.

In addition to rising sea levels, the island was eroded over the years by ice drifts and wind, according to Global News.

Esanbe Hanakita Kojima was located in a region of territorial dispute between Japan and Russia and only gained its name in 2014 when Japan sought to assert control of the region. Japan also has maritime disputes with China in the East China Sea.

Related StoriesNov. 1, 2018Oceans Have Absorbed 60% More Heat Than Previously Thought: Report

In both cases, countries make claims to parts of the ocean to take control of fishing and resource extractions rights, clarify shipping lanes, gain access to land, and conduct military exercises.

The small island’s disappearance, while not of any critical strategic importance, could shrink Japan’s exclusive economic zone.

Of bigger concern, however, are the climate change implications of this development.

As sea levels rise, low-lying coastal nations and islands are increasingly threatened. At least eight Pacific Islands have gone underwater in recent years, and thousands of more islands are at risk in the decades ahead.

Related StoriesOct. 25, 2018A Hurricane Just Erased a Crucial Hawaiian Island

The Marshall Islands, in particular, are highly vulnerable to sea level rise and their disappearance would displace tens of thousands of people.

Esanbe Hanakita Kojima may have been uninhabited, but many coastal areas are teeming with people.

Overall, hundreds of millions of people are expected to be displaced from coastal areas as a result of sea level rise. Adding powerful storms to this mix could multiply the number of displaced persons, especially if recent history is any guide. In 2017, there were more than 18 million people displaced from weather-related events, including 7.5 million from storms.

Related StoriesOct. 9, 20185 Things You Can Do Now in Response to the UN's Terrifying New Climate Report

Many coastal areas are trying to ward off the advance of the oceans by building sea walls, extending their coastlines, and implementing elaborate pump systems, but the only definitive way to stop the inevitability of sea level rise is by lowering greenhouse gas emissions.  

ALIMENTOS Y HAMBRE

Restauró 240 millones de árboles en África occidental, y podrían ayudar a combatir el hambre

"La naturaleza se curaría a sí misma, solo necesitamos dejar de explotarla".

Por qué los Global Citizens deberían preocuparse
La restauración de los bosques en todo el mundo puede aumentar la seguridad alimentaria, mejorar el acceso al agua y proteger a las comunidades de los peores efectos del cambio climático. Puedes unirte a nosotros para tomar medidas sobre este tema aquí.

Tony Rinaudo estuvo a cargo del crecimiento de 240 millones de árboles en docenas de países, según informó recientemente The Guardian.

El "Fabricante de bosques", como él mismo se autodenomina, llegó por primera vez a Níger desde Australia hace 30 años e intentó restaurar el paisaje devastado plantando tantos árboles como sea humanamente posible.

Después de dos años, hizo pocos progresos y comenzó a reevaluar su modo de trabajo. Fue entonces cuando se dio cuenta de que podía trabajar en un método para mejorar el suelo, la poda regular de las ramas y la protección de los troncos cuando se araban los campos.

"En ese momento, todo cambió", le dijo a The Guardian. "No necesitábamos plantar árboles, no se trataba de tener un presupuesto de varios millones de dólares y años para hacerlo, todo lo que necesitabas estaba en el terreno".

"La naturaleza se curará a sí misma, solo tenemos que dejar de hacerle daño", agregó.

El método de Rinaudo se conoce como regeneración natural administrada por el agricultor y permite que los bosques se desarrollen en condiciones difíciles. A medida que los árboles florecen, las comunidades aledañas obtienen un gran impulso en la seguridad alimentaria, la calidad del agua y la resistencia ante las tormentas.

Tony-prunes-a-tree-760x500.jpgImage: World Vision

A partir de 2013, Nigeria ha cultivado alimentos suficientes para alimentar a otros 2,5 millones de personas con la ayuda del método de Rinaudo, según informó World Vision.

En Níger, donde Rinaudo comenzó con esta tarea, los agricultores vieron grandes mejoras en sus cosechas una vez que la red subterránea de árboles se afianzó.

El año pasado, viajó al oeste de Afganistán para ayudar a los agricultores afectados por la sequía a restaurar los paisajes montañosos. La inseguridad alimentaria en Afganistán afecta a un tercio de la población.

Ahora ha comenzado a divulgar su técnica de mejora del suelo y a hacer campaña en las Naciones Unidas para mejorar el manejo forestal en todo el mundo, informó The Guardian.

A nivel mundial, se destruyen 18,7 millones de acres de bosques cada año, lo que equivale a perder 27 campos de fútbol por cada minuto, según datos de WWF.

A medida que los árboles desaparecen de un área, la biodiversidad se desvanece, las sequías se vuelven más comunes y los paisajes se vuelven más vulnerables a las tormentas, inundaciones y deslizamientos de tierra. La deforestación también es un importante motor del cambio climático, ya que representa el 15% de las emisiones anuales de gases de efecto invernadero a medida que se libera el carbono almacenado en los árboles.

Los principales impulsores de la deforestación son las tierras desmejoradas como consecuencia de la ganadería, la agricultura y el desarrollo, señaló WWF. Los incendios forestales y las plagas también son amenazas crecientes para los árboles a medida que las temperaturas aumentan en todo el mundo.

Rinaudo cree que su método de regeneración de bosques puede ayudar en la lucha contra el cambio climático, al mismo tiempo que refuerza la seguridad alimentaria y la resistencia al agua.

"Podemos hacer esto de un modo muy barato y rápido", le dijo a The Guardian.

11 DE ABRIL DE 2019

NIÑAS Y MUJERES

La desigualdad de género impide el acceso global a la salud reproductiva y sexual

No pueden elegir lo que les sucede a sus cuerpos.

Por qué es importante para los Global Citizens
Cientos de miles de niñas y mujeres mueren cada año debido a que carecen de acceso a atención médica de calidad, especialmente a la salud sexual y reproductiva. A pesar del aumento del acceso a los servicios de salud y los anticonceptivos, la desigualdad de género continúa impidiendo que niñas y mujeres ejerzan sus derechos y control sobre sus propios cuerpos. Puedes tomar medidas aquí para exigir la igualdad de género y reclamar un mundo donde Ella Es Igual.

Aunque el mundo ha hecho grandes avances en el aumento del acceso a la salud sexual y reproductiva en las últimas décadas, muchas niñas y mujeres aún no pueden ejercer sus derechos.

Las normas y actitudes sociales discriminatorias de género persisten en todo el mundo e impiden que las mujeres tomen decisiones sobre sus propios cuerpos, incluso si quieren casarse, tener relaciones sexuales o formar una familia, y cuándo hacerlo, según datos de un nuevo informe del Fondo de Población de las Naciones Unidas (UNFPA).

El informe anual evalúa el acceso a la salud sexual y reproductiva en todo el mundo, y este año, por primera vez, también incluyó datos sobre el poder de decisión de las mujeres cuando se trata de atención médica, uso de anticonceptivos y relaciones sexuales.

Y los resultados mostraron que todavía hay mucho trabajo por hacer.

"A pesar de la creciente disponibilidad de anticonceptivos a lo largo de los años, cientos de millones de mujeres todavía no tienen acceso a ellos, ni a las opciones reproductivas que las acompañan", dijo en un comunicado de prensa la Dra. Natalia Kanem, Directora Ejecutiva del UNFPA. "Sin acceso, carecen del poder para tomar decisiones sobre sus propios cuerpos, incluso si quedan embarazadas o cuándo".

"La falta de este poder, que influye en muchas otras facetas de la vida, desde la educación hasta el ingreso y la seguridad, deja a las mujeres incapaces de configurar su propio futuro", agregó.

Después de encuestar a 51 países, el UNFPA encontró que solo el 57% de las mujeres son capaces de tomar sus propias decisiones sobre la anticoncepción y la atención médica, así como cuándo y con quién eligen tener relaciones sexuales.

Las percepciones culturales que sostienen que las mujeres y las niñas son inferiores a los hombres y los niños también las encierran en sistemas de desigualdad donde tienen poca capacidad de negociación.

El informe destaca que la violencia de género y el matrimonio infantil son formas en que la desigualdad de género continúa impidiendo que las mujeres y las niñas puedan elegir qué hacer con sus cuerpos.

Es por eso que trabajar para mejorar las leyes discriminatorias de género para proteger mejor los derechos de las niñas y las mujeres, en particular contra la violencia sexual, puede ayudar a combatir esto y mejorar la salud sexual y reproductiva.

El empoderamiento de las niñas para permanecer en la escuela y completar su educación también es clave, dice el UNFPA. Y un paso crucial para establecer la igualdad de género y garantizar que las mujeres y las niñas en todo el mundo puedan ejercer sus derechos es incluir a los niños y hombres en la conversación, a fin de transformar las actitudes y creencias que perpetúan la desigualdad de género.

Desde que se fundó el UNFPA, que celebra su 50 aniversario este año, el acceso a los anticonceptivos modernos, incluidos los condones, los DIU y las píldoras anticonceptivas, se ha más que duplicado. Y hoy en día, casi el 59%de las mujeres están usando anticonceptivos.

A nivel mundial, según el informe, el 84% de las mujeres de 15 a 49 años de edad que están casadas o en una relación de pareja tienen satisfechas sus necesidades de planificación familiar, pero es menos probable que las niñas y mujeres más vulnerables tengan acceso a dichos recursos y servicios.

Según el informe, "el acceso a servicios críticos de salud sexual y reproductiva es generalmente más bajo entre el 20% más pobre de los hogares".

“Las mujeres en los hogares más pobres pueden tener poco o ningún acceso a servicios de salud sexual y reproductiva, lo que lleva a embarazos no deseados, a un mayor riesgo de enfermedad o muerte a causa del embarazo o el parto, y a la necesidad de dar a luz por su cuenta, sin la ayuda de un médico, enfermera o partera", dice el informe.

Según el UNFPA, aproximadamente 35 millones de mujeres, niñas y jóvenes necesitarán servicios críticos de salud sexual y reproductiva este año.

Y asegurar que todas tengan acceso a los servicios de salud que necesitan y la capacidad de ejercer sus derechos, va de la mano con ponerle fin a la pobreza y alcanzar los Objetivos de Desarrollo Sostenible de la ONU.

Es por eso que Global Citizen y UNFPA Supplies, el proveedor de servicios de planificación familiar más grande del mundo, se están asociando para exigir la igualdad de género y reclamar un mundo donde #SheIsEqual. Puedes actuar y hacer oír tu voz sobre este tema aquí.

MAY 22, 2018

ENVIRONMENT

Humanity Has Killed 83% of All Wild Mammals and Half of All Plants: Study

Of all the birds left in the world, 70% are poultry chickens and other farmed birds.

When it comes to planet Earth, humans are very tiny.

The weight of all 7.6 billion humans makes up just 0.01% of all biomass on Earth, according to a report published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences on Monday.

Bacteria, by comparison, make up 13% of all biomass, plants account for 83%, and all other forms of life make up 5% of the total weight, according to the report.

Take Action: Stand Up for the Arctic

Despite being such a small part of the planet, humans have been steadily destroying everything else for the past few millennia, the Guardian reports.

In fact, humans have caused the annihilation of 83% of all wild mammals and half of all plants, the authors of the report found.

And it’s not just that humans are wiping out wildlife — they’re also determining the animals and plants that remain.

Of the birds left in the world, 70% are poultry chickens and other farmed birds. And of the mammals left in the world, 60% are livestock, 36% are pigs, and a mere 4% are wild.

alp-studio-289331-unsplash.jpgPhoto by ALP STUDIO on Unsplash

Read More: 6 Unexpected Products You Should Probably Avoid if You Love Animals

Marine mammals, meanwhile, have plunged by 80% over the past century, the report found.

“It is definitely striking, our disproportionate place on Earth,” Ron Milo, a professor at the Weizmann Institute of Science in Israel who led the report, told the Guardian. “When I do a puzzle with my daughters, there is usually an elephant next to a giraffe next to a rhino. But if I was trying to give them a more realistic sense of the world, it would be a cow next to a cow next to a cow and then a chicken.”

This staggering imbalance between domestic and wild animals is being driven by industrial farming, extraction of resources, and the expansion of human civilizations, all of which destroy ecosystems, according to the report.

Other studies have also documented the decline of animals and plants. For instance, scientists recently argued that the Earth is experiencing its sixth mass wave of extinction, with billions of local animal populations endangered around the world.

katerina-bartosova-39167-unsplash.jpgPhoto by Katerina Bartosova on Unsplash

This decline is by no means slowing down. A study published last week found that if temperatures at the end of the century are 3.2 degrees Celsius higher than pre-industrial levels, species across the animal kingdom could lose up to half of their geographical ranges.

Read More: Poachers Will Soon Face Death Penalty in Kenya, Spurring Debate

The study spearheaded by Milo, however, is the first taxonomic breakdown of the mass of all organisms on Earth, according to the authors, who noted that further research and advances in technology need to be developed to refine the data.

“I would hope this gives people a perspective on the very dominant role that humanity now plays on Earth,” Milo told the Guardian.

Global Citizen campaigns on the United Nations’ Global Goals, which call on countries to protect biodiversity. You can take action on this issue here.

ENVIRONMENT

The First Road Made From Plastic Waste Was Just Finished in the US

Roads made from recycled plastic can cut down on plastic pollution.

Around 420 million tons of plastic is produced each year, and most of this plastic ends up polluting ecosystems around the world. As the toll of plastic pollution on wildlife becomes more apparent, countries, companies, and individuals are working to curb the problem. You can join us in taking action on this issue here.

Students at the University of California at San Diego could soon be driving toward a future without plastic pollution.

That’s because the university recently approved a road made with recycled plastic waste, the first time a road of this style has been paved in the United States, according to the school's paper UCSD Guardian.

The road comes from the UK-based company MacReber, which has paved roads throughout its home country and in Australia.

Take Action: Take the Plastic Pledge: #UnplasticthePlanet

Actúa: Take the Pledge

1 punto

United StatesUnited KingdomGermanyCanadaAustraliaAfghanistanÅland IslandsAlbaniaAlgeriaAmerican SamoaAndorraAngolaAnguillaAntarcticaAntigua and BarbudaArgentinaArmeniaArubaAustriaAzerbaijanBahamasBahrainBangladeshBarbadosBelarusBelgiumBelizeBeninBermudaBhutanBoliviaBonaire, Sint Eustatius and SabaBosnia and HerzegovinaBotswanaBouvet IslandBrazilBritish Indian Ocean TerritoryBruneiBulgariaBurkina FasoBurundiCabo VerdeCambodiaCameroonCayman IslandsCentral African RepublicChadChileChinaChristmas IslandCocos (Keeling) IslandsColombiaComorosCongoCongo (the Democratic Republic of the)Cook IslandsCosta RicaCôte d'IvoireCroatiaCubaCuraçaoCyprusCzech RepublicDenmarkDjiboutiDominicaDominican RepublicEcuadorEgyptEl SalvadorEquatorial GuineaEritreaEstoniaEthiopiaFalkland Islands  [Malvinas]Faroe IslandsFijiFinlandFranceFrench GuianaFrench PolynesiaFrench Southern TerritoriesGabonGambia (The)GeorgiaGhanaGibraltarGreeceGreenlandGrenadaGuadeloupeGuamGuatemalaGuernseyGuineaGuinea-BissauGuyanaHaitiHeard Island and McDonald IslandsHoly See  [Vatican City State]HondurasHong KongHungaryIcelandIndiaIndonesiaIranIraqIrelandIsle of ManIsraelItalyJamaicaJapanJerseyJordanKazakhstanKenyaKiribatiKuwaitKyrgyzstanLaosLatviaLebanonLesothoLiberiaLibyaLiechtensteinLithuaniaLuxembourgMacaoMacedoniaMadagascarMalawiMalaysiaMaldivesMaliMaltaMarshall IslandsMartiniqueMauritaniaMauritiusMayotteMexicoMicronesia (the Federated States of)MoldoviaMonacoMongoliaMontenegroMontserratMoroccoMozambiqueMyanmarNamibiaNauruNepalNetherlandsNew CaledoniaNew ZealandNicaraguaNigerNigeriaNiueNorfolk IslandNorth KoreaNorthern Mariana IslandsNorwayOmanPakistanPalauPalestine, State ofPanamaPapua New GuineaParaguayPeruPhilippinesPitcairnPolandPortugalPuerto RicoQatarRéunionRomaniaRussiaRwandaSaint BarthélemySaint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da CunhaSaint Kitts and NevisSaint LuciaSaint Martin (French part)Saint Pierre and MiquelonSaint Vincent and the GrenadinesSamoaSan MarinoSao Tome and PrincipeSaudi ArabiaSenegalSerbiaSeychellesSierra LeoneSingaporeSint Maarten (Dutch part)SlovakiaSloveniaSolomon IslandsSomaliaSouth AfricaSouth Georgia and the South Sandwich IslandsSouth KoreaSouth SudanSpainSri LankaSudanSurinameSvalbard and Jan MayenSwazilandSwedenSwitzerlandSyriaTaiwanTajikistanTanzaniaThailandTimor-LesteTogoTokelauTongaTrinidad and TobagoTunisiaTurkeyTurkmenistanTurks and Caicos IslandsTuvaluUgandaUkraineUnited Arab EmiratesUnited States Minor Outlying IslandsUruguayUzbekistanVanuatuVenezuelaVietnamVirgin Islands (British)Virgin Islands (U.S.)Wallis and FutunaWestern SaharaYemenZambiaZimbabwe

En asociación con: Flow Alkaline Spring Water

The UC San Diego test case covers only a small area in front of a graduate housing complex, but the university may introduce the plastic asphalt throughout the campus if it proves viable, especially because of its supposed environmental benefits.

Plastic-suffused asphalt reduces the amount of petroleum in asphalt and repurposes plastic waste that would otherwise contaminate environments, according to MacReber.

It’s also a cheaper alternative than traditional asphalt.

If the process becomes more widely implemented throughout the US, it could mitigate plastic pollution and help the country deal with its ailing network of roads.

Read More: Haiti Is Cleaning Up Its Streets by Turning Plastic Bottles Into Ink Cartridges

“Recycled plastic binders are ‘closing the loop’ by using plastic that had been used for something else and giving it new life, keeping the plastic out of our landfills and oceans,” Sara McKinstry, campus sustainability manager, told the UCSD Guardian. “The recycled plastic product also has a lower embodied carbon footprint than traditional bitumen, preventing some greenhouse gases from being emitted and contributing to climate change.”

MacReber’s CEO Toby McCartney started the company because he saw plastic waste as both a threat to the planet and a valuable resource.

Globally, more than 420 million tons of plastic are produced annually and around 75% gets thrown away, where it ends up contaminating the global environment. The world’s oceans absorb around 13 million tons of plastic annually, which harms more than 700 marine animals including whales, krill, turtles, and coral.

MacReber’s process works by first collecting plastic waste that would otherwise go to landfills or ecosystems and sorting them according to their polymer structures. For example, plastic bottles and plastic bags have different properties.

Read More: India's New Roads Are Made With Recycled Plastic

The company then breaks the plastic into three different types of pellets that vary in durability and pliability. Asphalt producers buy the pellets that fit their needs — for example, roads with lots of heavy machinery traffic would require more durable pellets — and melt it into bitumen, which is the petroleum-based binding agent in asphalt.

McCartney said that the pellets can be incorporated seamlessly into any existing asphalt infrastructure. Since the pellets are melted and converted into bitumen, the presence of plastic disappears, according to the company.

“It’s important that our plastics all fully homogenise into the mix,” MacReber wrote in a company frequently asked questions section. “There are therefore no plastics present in the end asphalt – just a polymer modified bitumen. So no microplastics are in the end asphalt mix, and no leaching of any plastics can occur.”

Roads made from plastic waste have been criticized in the past as being misleading because of their potential to spread microplastics into the environment. Microplastics saturate the air we breathe, the water we drink, and the food we eat. In fact, the average human consumes at least 70,000 microplastics annually.

Read More: You're Eating 2,000 Microplastics Each Year Through Table Salt: Report

The health consequences of microplastic consumption are still unclear, according to National Geographic. But microplastics attract pollutants when in the environment, collecting agricultural pesticides, chemicals from industrial plants, greenhouse gas emissions, and more.

MacReber argues that this contamination wouldn’t happen with its roads and the amount of plastic it could conceivably convert to asphalt is staggering.

In fact, the company claims that every 10 tons of asphalt made with its uses 71,432 plastic bottles or 435,592 plastic bags.

With more than 4 million miles of road in need of repair throughout the US, MacReber could find a broad customer base in the country, especially because plastic pollution has energized a lot of US citizens who are eager to protect the planet.

“It is fantastic to see my school continue leading the way in implementing sustainable practices like this,” Sophie Haddad, UCSD California public interest research group chair, told the UCSD Guardian. “These roads address plastic pollution and help us pave a way toward a cleaner future. Students here love our beaches so much, so it’s great to see UCSD taking action to recycle plastics so they don’t end up polluting the ocean.”

La imagen puede contener: texto

ALERT: Today, nearly 1,000 young women will be infected with HIV. Tomorrow, it will be another 1,000. One week from now, nearly 7,000 women will have contracted HIV. 

We CAN change this → bit.ly/2MZ8juh

AID AND DEVELOPMENT

What is fragility and why does it matter in the fight against extreme poverty?

April 10 2019 | By: EMILY HUIE

JOIN

Share on Facebook 
Save on Facebook

If you’ve watched the news lately, you might have heard the term “fragile state.” When a crisis hits a fragile state, the effects can be devastating, and often contribute to the cycle of extreme poverty. In order to end extreme poverty [by 2030], the world must do better about reaching the extreme poor who live in fragile states. This is a big challenge, but not an insurmountable one.

There are currently more than 735 million people living in extreme poverty. Almost two-thirds (over 514 million) of these people are concentrated in fragile and conflict-affected states, particularly in sub-Saharan Africa. In fact, 35 of the world’s current fragile states are in sub-Saharan Africa. Experts predict that by 2030, more than 80% of people living in extreme poverty will be in fragile states.

So what exactly is fragility and how can it affect countries? A country or region is generally classified as fragile when it is vulnerable to shocks – violent conflict, natural disasters or economic crises – and lacks the capacity to cope with them. Citizens of a fragile state have to deal with a lot of instability, and they are exposed to higher risks when the unexpected happens.

Countries can be fragile for a number of different reasons. Some governments do not have the capacity to create a resilient environments . In some cases they lack the resources, in others corrupt leaders are more concerned with consolidating power and wealth for themselves than using state resources to provide basic services. Other factors such as natural disasters, regional instability, ethnic conflicts or violence can also make a country fragile.

Regardless of what causes fragility, when things go wrong, the citizens are hardest hit.

If you keep up with current events, you’re probably familiar with the Ebola crisis in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).

In the DRC, decades of exploitation and ethnic rivalries have led to protracted and violent conflicts over political power and natural resources. Although the civil war officially ended in 2003, violence is still widespread, particularly in the eastern part of the country. These conflicts have been at the expense of citizens’ basic needs.

When an Ebola outbreak began last August in the DRC, medical professionals, aid workers, and government officials were unable to reach communities because of poor infrastructure, weak health systems, and conflict. To make things worse, while medical workers struggled to reach those affected, communities struggled to trust those workers because often their experiences lead them to distrust the government and other officials. The result is an ongoing health crisis that has led to over 900 infections, and over 560 deaths.

People living in fragile states, like the DRC, face even more difficulty escaping extreme poverty.

Displacement, increased likelihood of disease, and food scarcity are just some of the things that can come about from a crisis. That’s why working to end fragility will have immense effects on combating extreme poverty, and prevent bad situations from becoming catastrophic.

12/04/2019

Cork City expected to be hit by Gaelforce wind (brass, and percussion!) this Easter break

Cork City expected to be hit by Gaelforce wind (brass, and percussion!) this Easter break

Easter 2019 sees the return of GaelForce, a brass, wind and percussion “eggstravaganza” that offers intensive, free music workshops for young musicians of brass, wind and percussion ages 10 to 18 in Cork City.

Co-funded through the Music Generation/Arts Council Partnership, Gaelforce is run by Music Generation Cork City in partnership with Cork Barrack Street Band and Cork Academy of Music, with support from CIT Cork School of Music.

From Tuesday 16 to Thursday 18 April this year, young musicians have the opportunity to learn in specially designed workshops, acquiring the skills and group technique needed to participate in chamber music and large ensembles. Under the guidance of a highly trained team of professional musicians and mentors, participants will see their musical acumen advance at a rate of knots over the course of the three days.

Following the enormous success of Gaelforce 2018, this year’s edition introduces a brand new element: a Mentor Scheme that seeks to provide young musicians ages 14+ with an opportunity to arrange scores and conduct chamber music groups. Successful applicants may even be selected to conduct on concert day!

GaelForce culminates in a public performance which is open to all and which will be presided over by head tutor, Oisín McGill. The concert, expected to feature music from ‘The Greatest Showman’, ‘A Star is Born’, Queen and other favourites, is sure to raise the roof off the Curtis Auditorium on Thursday 18 April, 3.30pm!

To get a glimpse into what to expect on the evening, take a look back at this short video snippet from last year's concert: 

For further information about GaelForce, please contact Oisín McGill (+353 86 335 9307) or Music Generation Cork City:

E: musicgencorkcity@corketb.ie
F: facebook.com/musicgenerationcorkcity

Event information
GaelForce 2019: Brass, Wind and Percussion Workshop Event
Tuesday 16 – Thursday 18 April 2019

Finale Concert: 3.30pm Thursday 18 April 2019, Curtis Auditorium CIT Cork School of Music

Music Generation Cork City is part of Music Generation, Ireland’s national music education programme, initiated by Music Network, co-funded by U2, The Ireland Funds, the Department of Education and Skills and locally in partnership with Cork City Council, Cork ETB, The HSE, CIT and UCC.

GIRLS AND WOMEN

What we want for women and girls in 2019

8 March 2019 8:42AM UTC | By: MEGAN O’DONNELL

ADD YOUR NAME

Take action for women everywhere

Share on Facebook 
Save on Facebook

In 2015, in signing onto the Sustainable Development Goals, world leaders made a promise to “achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls” by 2030. But at this rate, we are nearly 100 years behind schedule.

The latest data from the World Economic Forum estimates that it will take over a century (108 years) to close global gender gaps in health, education, economic opportunity, and political representation. It will take even longer in sub-Saharan Africa – 135 years.

We need to accelerate progress – and 2019 offers us the opportunity to do just that.

What’s needed from world leaders in 2019 to improve the lives of women and girls, and by extension their families, communities, and countries? Here are ONE’s gender equality-focused recommendations for the year:

Recommendation #1: Create a global, independent accountability mechanism, modelled on the Open Government Partnership (OGP), which will track policy change commitments by both governments and private sector actors to promote gender equality.

Part of the reason we’re not moving fast enough in closing gender gaps is because there is a lack of accountability. World leaders must be accountable to meaningfully invest in women and girls.

We need a platform that pushes them to increase ambitions. That platform must also track progress towards concrete, time-bound, measurable outcomes. A new accountability mechanism would provide a space for civil society, governments, and the private sector to discuss, create, and implement commitments collaboratively.

Recommendation #2: Agree to a gender equality financial commitments package. The package must ensure the world is on track to meet critical SDG targets focused on women and girls’ health, education, economic empowerment, and broader well-being.

Additional, targeted financing will be necessary to meet SDG targets related to gender equality across sectors. A gender equality financial commitments package of this kind should focus on breaking the range of barriers facing women and girls and limiting their potential.

Recommendation #3: Allocate at least 85% of overseas development assistance to gender equality. 20% of this should promote gender equality as its primary purpose. At the same time, country governments should adopt gender-responsive budgeting practices.

Outside of a dedicated package of new funds, world leaders must commit to more, as well as better, financing — and do so in a sustained way.

Currently, G7 donors only allocate 49 percent of bilateral aid to programs that focus on gender equality and women’s empowerment. Of that, just 3.4 percent is principally targeted at closing gender gaps.

Recommendation #4: Commit to progressive laws and policies on gender equality, and develop action plans for implementation under the new OGP-style partnership.

Financing alone won’t be enough to move the needle. It must happen alongside the repeal of discriminatory laws and private sector practices. Gender-responsive laws and policies must be adopted in their place.

To ensure that commitments by countries and the private sector are implemented and impactful, they need to be monitored through an independent and institutionalized accountability mechanism gathering different stakeholders, like the one mentioned above.

In sum, we need world leaders to make ambitious moves to get us on track to achieving global gender equality.

Read our full policy brief and sign our open letter calling on world leaders to take action.

NOV. 13, 2018

ENVIRONMENT

Guatemala Is Using 'Bio-Fences' to Curb Plastic Pollution

The country is cleaning up a major river and involving communities in the process.

An estimated 90% of plastic waste in the ocean comes from just 10 rivers. Guatemala is stepping up to the plate to reduce plastic pollution and protect the environment. Join us in taking action on this issue here.

Guatemala is taking action to improve its waste collection efforts by deploying bio-fences that trap plastic waste, Digital Journal reports.

The country has a poor track record when its comes to waste management, according to The Telegraph. Honduras, its neighboring country, has blamedGuatemala for creating an "environmental disaster" after photographsshowing miles of floating trash off the coast of Roatan, a Honduran island, were released.

While responsibility for the "sea of trash" is likely shared among countries in the region, Guatemala is stepping up to the plate to put solutions into place.

Take Action: Take the Pledge: #SayNoToPlastic

Two bio-fences, which act as nets for plastic travelling downstream, are being installed in the Motagua River to catch trash and make it easier for communities to collect and dispose of it properly. Along with the bio-fences, Guatemala plans to improve its wastewater treatment facilities and reduce individual use of plastics.

Not sitting on the bio-fence when it comes to pollution. Learn more about plastic waste: https://wef.ch/2qYKCbI 

Guatemala is "actively fighting plastic pollution through innovation and community participation," Alfonso Alonzo, the country's minister of environment and natural resources, said in a statement.

"The problem of plastic is immense, and it affects all of us ... While the problem of plastic trash is serious on the Pacific coast, it's catastrophic on the Caribbean coast," Colum Muccio, administrative director of the Association for the Rescue and Conservation of Wildlife (ARCAS) Guatemala, told Digital Journal.

Muccio has tracked the path of plastics across Guatemala, finding that rivers are carrying plastic waste hundreds of miles and unloading them on beaches and in other water bodies.

"This plastic trash ... stays at the surface of the beach's sand, remaining buried up to half a meter deep," he said.

Many land and marine species are at risk as a result of marine litter. For sea turtles, which live in the region, ingesting pieces of plastic can be deadly.

Read More: This Is the Deadly Ocean Plastic We Should Be Paying Attention To

Guatemala is not the only country dealing with plastic pollution — it's an issue that affects communities and ecosystems around the world.

Up to 13 million tons of plastic end up in the oceans each year and around 90% of it comes from just 10 rivers, according to a study published in 2017. Reducing plastic in these major rivers by 50% could reduce the amount of waste that flows from river to oceans by 45%.

HEALTH

This powerful activist and mentor is fighting HIV stigma in Uganda

5 February 2019 2:24PM UTC | By: PRUDENCE NYAMISHANA

ADD YOUR NAME

Sign now: we demand more action in the fight against AIDS

Share on Facebook 
Save on Facebook

We first introduced you to Robinah in 2016, and now we’re catching up with her to see what her life has been like since she revealed her HIV status to her classmates and began her journey as an HIV/AIDS activist.

When Robinah Babirye was ten years old, her mother sat down with her and her twin sister Eva and told them they were both HIV positive. Robinah was devastated.

Now 25, Robinah sees that moment as a beginning, sparking what has become an incredible journey into HIV activism work.

Untitled-design-14.png

Robinah started her journey as an HIV activist with a photo on Facebook (left). Four years later, she’s achieved more than ever (right).

She took the first step on Facebook. One morning, she decided it was time to tell the world about her status. She wore a t-shirt with an inscription that said HIV Positive, took a photo, posted it on her Facebook page and waited for the responses to come.

To her relief, they were overwhelmingly supportive and she has been unstoppable since. Now Robinah is well-known in Uganda as a powerful advocate for HIV patients and vulnerable girls. She won the crown as Uganda’s Miss Young Positive, graduated from Kyambogo University in December 2016, works with school outreach programs, and uses media, film and music to amplify her cause.

Her first film with her twin sister Eva, Don’t Dare Touch, premiered in Côte d’Ivoire in 2017 during the International Conference on AIDS and Sexually Transmitted Infections in Africa. The movie addresses issues faced by HIV-discordant couples, prevention of mother to child HIV transmission, stigma and treatment. The audience loved it so much they wanted more, and now a series is in the works.

IMG_9364.jpgRobinah works with the African Young Positives Network and volunteers with the Uganda Network of Young People Living with HIV to carry out training and community outreach programs, such as the Young Positive Beauty Pageant and the People in Need Agency (PINA) Uganda, an organisation for whom she was originally a pioneer beneficiary.

Through PINA, Robinah dedicates much of her time to mentoring younger HIV advocates. “I have to give back,” she says.

Robinah-1.pngTo date, she has mentored more than 45 girls in Kalangala Island and Kasenyi Landing Site on Lake Victoria and recently teamed up with two of her mentees, 19-year-old Winnie Nansamba and 21-year-old Ritah Nansamba, to establish the Roof and Equip Winnie campaign. They are now working to establish services for child survivors of sexual abuse and trafficking in Lake Victoria’s Ssese Islands.

“Some of the girls [on the islands] have been sexually violated multiple times, others by their close relatives. Others have been trafficked from the mainland to the islands,” Robinah says.

IMG_9357.jpgAnother of her mentees, Fionah, won a scholarship last summer to attend the International AIDS Conference in Amsterdam.

“When I listened to Robinah share her story, I decided to come out,“ Fionah says. “She is such a wonderful mentor she even recommended me to attend the conference in Amsterdam.”

Next on Robinah’s agenda is a plan to build a rehabilitation center for girls who are survivors of sexual violence. Designed to be a safe haven for survivors to talk about their experiences and challenges, the center will offer post-traumatic care, psychosocial support, counselling and treatment, and will work with survivors to rebuild their self-esteem.

Robinah-2.png“We also plan to have vocational training facilities to skill them for financial empowerment,” Robinah says, adding that she hopes the empowered girls will become change agents for others, do away with toxic cultural constructs and break the cycle of poverty.

What matters most to her, she says, is inspiring others in her work, even when she encounters challenges.

“I think about the people who look up to me and I wonder what will happen to them if I give up now,” she says. “So, I keep going.”

Join Robinah in the fight against HIV by adding your name now and asking world leaders to back the Global Fund.

MEMBERS IN ACTION

And they’re off… ONE Champions in Senegal and Mali

12 April 2019 5:41PM UTC | By: MELANIE RHODES

JOIN

Share on Facebook 
Save on Facebook

It’s official, we have 25 new ONE Champions in Senegal and Mali! These incredible volunteers will be lobbying policy makers, rallying support for campaigns, and mobilising the public.

25 new ONE Champions in Senegal and Mali.

25 new ONE Champions in Senegal and Mali.

ONE Champions

ONE Champions are young people who are passionate about sustainable development. Many of them are the leaders of tomorrow, who have been working in their communities to drive positive change.

By becoming a ONE Champion, they’re able to take their activism to the next level. ONE helps them hone their campaigning and advocacy skills, increase their understanding of the issues, and share and debate new ideas. They gain experience and connections to take back to their local communities and learn valuable life skills along the way.

Coumba Ka told us why being a Champion is so important to her: “As a young Muslim girl, the ONE Champions program is giving me a voice, a platform to defend my convictions that girls can speak up, they can contribute to the development of their societies, their countries, the development of the world.”

Coumba Ka (left) collects her ONE Champion certificate from Oulie Keita, ONE Director Francophone West Africa (right).

Coumba Ka (left) collects her ONE Champion certificate from Oulie Keita, ONE Director Francophone West Africa (right).

Bootcamp

There was no relaxing for the Champions after they made it through selection. It was straight off to bootcamp in Dakar, Senegal. Over three days, they got to know ONE and each other a lot better.

Oulie Keita, Regional Director of ONE in Francophone West Africa, welcomed everyone. Lots of ONE staff, including CEO Gayle Smith, dropped by (in person and digitally) to say hi and talk about ONE. Folks from ONE France highlighted the incredible work Youth Ambassadors are doing in Europe.

ONE Champions with staff from ONE and Executive Director of Goree Institute at bootcamp.

ONE Champions with staff from ONE and Executive Director of Goree Institute at bootcamp (second right).

The Champions learned about the political landscape in Senegal and Mali and how ONE lobbies and influences national policy. They gained insight into how ONE uses social and traditional media – learning how to use pop culture to spread the message. They got tips on public speaking and brushed up on their video-making skills.

The bootcamp was also a great opportunity to share opinions and debate the issues. They talked with government officials and people from other civil society organisations. Dr Ibrahima Kampo, from the Sustainable Development Solutions Network, led a vibrant discussion about young people and the Sustainable Development Goals.

Dr Ibrahima Kampo, Sustainable Development Solutions Network, talks about young people and the SDGs.

Dr Ibrahima Kampo, Sustainable Development Solutions Network, talks about young people and the SDGs.

Nigeria, Senegal, Mali and beyond

ONE Champions began in Nigeria 3 years ago and has gone from strength to strength. This year, there will be 50 Champions from across the country.

Wadi Ben Hirki, a Nigerian Champion in 2017, joined the bootcamp and had a lot of great advice. “When you get the opportunity to serve and amplify your voice, do it well! It’s less about the title and more about the responsibility. ONE has played a great role in changing my mindset (and) giving me a platform to advocate for equity and justice.”

Wadi Ben Hirki, shares her experience of being a ONE Champion, Nigeria.

Wadi Ben Hirki, shares her experience of being a ONE Champion, Nigeria.

An exciting year ahead

The Champions have a busy year ahead. Quality education for girls is a top priority for everyone. While in Mali, they’ll be making sure that a Land Tenure Act becomes reality – and 15% of irrigated land is allocated to women and young people. In Senegal, they’ll be putting pressure on decision makers to be open and transparent, and campaigning for funding for women and young people in Agriculture.

By the end of bootcamp, the 25 new Champions were trained-up and raring to go. It’s going to be an exciting year!

• ONEChampionsStaff_slideshow
Samuel Kouly Sylla (left), Marieme Soda Ndiaye (center), Marie Jeanne Diouf (right) ONE Champions, Senegal. Current SlideONE Champions and ONE staff at bootcamp.Current Slide Current SlideAissata Bocoum, ONE Champion, Mali. Current SlideONE Champions at bootcamp. Current SlideONE Champions at bootcamp.Previous Slide◀︎Next Slide▶︎

Stay up to date with ONE’s work in Senegal and Mali by following us on Facebook & Twitter

ONE Champions and ONE staff at bootcamp.

ENVIRONMENT

Spain Plans to Reach 100% Renewable Energy by 2050

They're closing down coal plants to invest in wind farms.

If countries don’t rapidly transition to renewable energy economies, the consequences of climate change could have devastating global impacts. Spain is setting an example with an ambitious new plan to leave fossil fuels behind. You can join us in taking action on this issue here.

Spain committed to achieving 100% renewable energy by 2050 on Wednesday, quickly becoming a leader in the Paris climate agreement, according to the Guardian.

The country will also reduce its greenhouse gas emissions by 2050 by 90% compared to 1990 levels.

“By planning on going carbon neutral, Spain shows that the battle against climate change is deadly serious, that they are ready to step up and plan to reap the rewards of decarbonisation,” Laurence Tubiana, chief executive of the European Climate Foundation, told the Guardian.

Take Action: Ensure All Communities Can Withstand Climate Disaster

Actúa: Firma

1 punto

If the worst consequences of climate change are to be averted, nearly every country in the world has to pursue a fully renewable energy future. Currently, however, very few countries have precisely detailed how they plan to get there. Some countries, like the US, are actively going in the opposite direction.

Spain has broken from the pack with its latest announcement.

The country intends to create 3,000 megawatts’ worth of solar and wind energy every year over the next decade, which is enough to power an additional 4.5 million households per year. That same amount of energy would power only 1.5 million households in the US or Canada, which use far more energy per capita on average.

Read More: 5 Things You Can Do Now in Response to the UN's Terrifying New Climate Report

In 2017, Spain generated 33.7% of its electricity from renewable sources, with wind farms accounting for 19.7% the energy total, and solar accounting for 5.4%.

The country currently gets the bulk of its electricity from nuclear power plants, which do not generate greenhouse gas emissions, but are not renewable like solar and wind and consume enormous amounts of water for cooling purposes.  

As far as fossil fuel sources go, Spain gets 17.4% from coal and 13.8% from natural gas.

The country announced that it will no longer issue licenses for new fossil fuel ventures, according to the Guardian. It will also dedicate 20% of the government budget to climate change mitigation measures, which could range from investing in renewable energy to expanding green spaces.

Read More: Humans Could Face Extinction if We Don't Protect Biodiversity: UN

Spain has focused on making cities more green in recent years by allowing pedestrians to reclaim large chunks of urban spaces.

While the country has made efforts to limit car use in the past, its latest announcement does not include measures for the phasing out fossil fuel vehicles. Other countries like France, the United Kingdom, and India have vowed to get rid of petroleum and diesel-based cars in the decades ahead.

Read More: The Ozone Layer Is on Track to Make a Full Recovery

The new announcement also says that energy efficiency will increase by 35% over the next 11 years, coal mines will be phased out, and workers in the fossil fuel industry will be retrained for clean energy jobs.

Kenyan women have found a way to buy land, and make a profit
AGRICULTURE

Kenyan women have found a way to buy land, and make a profit

21 January 2019 4:52PM UTC | By: THOMSON REUTERS FOUNDATION

JOIN

Share on Facebook 
Save on Facebook

This story was originally reported by Kagondu Njagi and edited by Robert Carmichael for the Thomson Reuters Foundation.

For the women of Tuluroba village’s self-help group, the goal was simple: use their combined savings to buy cattle, fatten them and sell them to the beef industry for slaughter.

But there was a problem.

“We had no land to graze the cattle. Nor could we obtain a loan from a bank to buy land, because as women we do not own title deeds,” said Fatuma Wario, who chairs the 13-strong group.

That is common. Few women in Kenya have land title documents, and few are getting them: since 2013, less than 2 percent of issued titles have gone to women, the Kenya Land Alliance, a non-profit, said in March 2018.

And because getting a loan from a mainstream bank requires collateral – typically in the form of a land title document – most women are locked out of the chance to start a business.

In the end, the women of the HoriJabesa group borrowed money from an institution that loans money to women’s groups without requiring land title. Instead, the cash from their savings underwrites the loan.

In Wario’s case, that meant switching their savings account to the bank that was prepared to extend a $1,000 loan. Using that money and some of their savings, “we bought cattle and hired land to graze our stock”.

That was in 2017. Doing so meant the group could rent 10 acres (4 hectares) of pasture at a cost of 30,000 Kenyan shillings (US$300) annually.

Interest on the loan is 12 percent per year. In their first year they earned $10,000 from their investment – with each fattened head of cattle bringing in a US$30 profit.

THOUSANDS BENEFIT

The first step for Wario’s group was to become a partner with the Program for Rural Outreach of Financial Innovations and Technologies PROFIT, which is funded by the U.N International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) and the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA).

David Kanda, an adviser at the SNV Netherlands Development Organisation who has seen the impact PROFIT has had on women like Wario, said about 60 women’s groups in eastern Kenya alone were benefiting from the PROFIT program.

“Apart from livestock enterprises, the programme also supports women to do poultry and bee-keeping on hired land.”

The programme began in December 2010 and is scheduled to run until June this year. After that, it will be evaluated with an eye to continuing it, an official from AGRA said.

Getting a loan requires that the person be an active member of an agribusiness network. She can then apply to a farmer-lending institution for a loan as an individual – in which case her share in the agribusiness network is her collateral – or with her group, as Wario’s collective did.

The Agricultural Finance Corporation (AFC), a government agency, is one such lending institution.

To date, said Millicent Omukaga, AFC’s head of operations, more than 40,000 women in Kenya have benefited from non-collaterised loans. None of those loans has gone bad.

“Our aim is to double the number … of women beneficiaries. But the overall aim is to see them financially empowered so that they can fight for their land rights.”

GRASS BOUNTY

That has proven the case for Mabel Katindi, a widow who lives in Kathiani village in Machakos county, 195 kilometres south of Wario’s village.

The 42-year-old lost her husband a decade ago. Since then she has had to fight off relatives trying to chase her and her three children from the one-acre plot she inherited.

The problem is that her late husband did not have a title deed. As it is ancestral land, it fell under one title deed held by the eldest member of his family, she said.

And without title, Katindi could not get a loan to finance money-earning ventures on her acre.

“Our land is not very good for growing food crops because the rains are not enough. Feeding my children alone has been the most difficult task,” she said.

But after joining the local women’s organisation in 2017, Katindi learned that, as an active member of the agribusiness group, she could use her share to apply for a loan.

In March of that year she borrowed 50,000 shillings from a savings and credit cooperative, and used that to plant drought-resistant brachiaria grass on half an acre of her land.

The grass has thrived, she said.

“Demand for the grass is very high because it makes cattle produce a lot of milk. It also does not require a lot of rain to grow,” said Katindi.

Each bale of grass earns up to 300 shillings, with the half-acre generating 100 bales each year. She uses the other half-acre to grow staple foods for the family.

“My children are all in school. I do not have to worry about feeding them,” Katindi said, adding that the financial returns from the loan had also helped to mend relations with her late husband’s family.

“I even use some of my money to support the relatives who wanted to chase me away from the land.”

ENVIRONMENT

5 Marine Animals Will Go Extinct If We Don't Act Now

From Narwhal whales to green sea turtles, countless marine animals are in trouble.

The oceans provide food, play a vital role in regulating the earth’s climate and are essential to global commerce. The United Nations Global Goal 14 calls on countries to protect the oceans from further degradation. You can take action on this issue here.

As wildfires burn to new heights, hurricanes swell to monstrous sizes, and droughts strip previously verdant landscapes of life, climate change sometimes seems like it’s only happening on land.

But it’s the oceans that are undergoing the most dramatic changes, even if their fate is largely out of sight. In fact, the oceans have absorbed 93% of the excess heat caused by greenhouse gas emissions, and it was recently discovered that the oceans have taken in 60% more heat than was previously thought.

The oceans also act as carbon sinks, absorbing around 26% of the carbon dioxide released into the atmosphere by human activities. As this excess carbon dissolves, it causes ocean waters to change pH levels and acidify, becoming harsher for sea creatures in the process.  

Take Action: Commit to Reduce Your Plastic Waste and #UnplasticthePlanet

Actúa: Take the Pledge

1 punto

En asociación con: Flow Alkaline Spring Water

And it’s not just climate change that’s turning thriving aquatic ecosystems into barren habitats, either.

Plastic pollution has reached the most remote oceans, industrial pollution releases a steady flow of heavy toxins into waterways, noise pollution drives some animals to suicide, and overfishing raids fish and other animal populations.

These are just some of the problems facing underwater animals. For the thousands of species living in the oceans, unique threats crop up all the time and drive animals closer to extinction.

Here are five animals that have become threatened in recent years, and the main force that is threatening them.

Narwhal Whales: Climate Change

With a harpoon-like tooth jutting out of their heads, Narwhal whales kind of look like aquatic unicorns.

And like unicorns, they could one day become the stuff of fantasy.

Narwhals live in Arctic waters and spend up to five months a year under ice, where they hunt for fish and come up for air in between cracks that emerge above. As Arctic ice melt accelerates, fishing and other vessels are entering their feeding grounds and capturing large amounts of fish, diminishing the Narwhals food supply. These boats are also filling Arctic waters with unprecedented levels of noise pollution, which causes extreme stress in the animals.

Further, orca whales are swimming farther North to take advantage of the warmer waters and have begun hunting Narwhals in greater numbers for longer periods of the year.

Green Sea Turtle: Bycatch, Habitat Loss, Plastic

Green Sea Turtle.png

Green sea turtles can live up to 80 years in the wild, swimming from island to island, and grazing on seaweed and algae.

In recent years, however, the life expectancy of these turles has sharply dropped because of fishing bycatch, plastic pollution, egg harvesting, and a declining habitat.

As fishing vessels drop massive trawling nets into the water, much more than the intended catch gets ensnared. Hundreds of thousands of turtles die each year after becoming ensnared in fishing nets.

Plastic pollution, which fills the oceans at a rate of up to 13 million tons per year, is another threat to these turtles. A recent study found that accidentally ingesting a piece causes a turtle to become 20% more likely to die.

On shore, turtle eggs are being harvested for human consumption at dangerous rates, and egg-laying habitats are disappearing as humans take over more coastlines around the world.  

Whale Shark: Poaching

toa-heftiba-270774-unsplash.jpgPhoto by Toa Heftiba on Unsplash

Last year, a Chinese fishing vessel was detained near the Galapagos Islands, a marine sanctuary off-limits to human activity, and Ecuadorian authorities found more than 6,600 sharks on board.

The sharks were likely destined to be used for shark fin soup, a delicacy served primarily in China and Vietnam.

Demand for the soup has brought some shark species close to extinction, including the whale shark. In the past several decades, some shark populations have declined by an estimated 95% as part of a global annual catch of up to 100 million sharks.

Krill: Warming Waters, Overfishing

As tiny as they are, krill are foundational to marine food chains, providing a crucial source of nutrients for a variety of species.

Krill live in Antarctic waters, where they take advantage of ice cover in colder months to scavenge food and grow in a protected area. As ice melt increases in the region, krill habitats are diminishing and some populations are dropping by as much as 80%.

Krill are also threatened by fishing vessels that are moving into the region that want to catch large quantities of krill to use as animal feed. Greenpeace and other environmental groups are currently working to enact a global moratorium on the fishing of krill in newly opened waters.

If krill disappeared, it would cause devastating chain reactions throughout marine ecosystems.

Coral: Warming Waters Due to Climate Change

Great Barrier Reef2.jpgImage: Flickr/GreensMPs

Coral reefs are visually dazzling structures that happen to foster some of the most vibrant ecosystems in the oceans. Thousands of species from fish to turtles to algae depend on coral reef for sustenance and protection.

As greenhouse gas emissions continue to drive up global temperatures, oceans are absorbing most of the excess heat, which causes marine heat waves harmful to coral. When ocean temperatures rise two degrees Celsius above normal, coral are at risk of undergoing a potentially fatal phenomenon called bleaching.

Bleaching happens when hot temperatures shock coral and cause it to expel the symbiotic organisms that give it color and nutrients, turning the organism bone white. Coral reefs can generally recover from isolated bleaching events, but when they happen in successive years, they become fatal.

And that’s what is happening. By mid century, all of the world’s coral could be destroyed.