Sign in to follow this  
Gogme United

Back to the Croke Park Future

Exactly a week ago I was browsing YouTube and found this great TV-Documentary from 1987. It was filmed at and around the time U2 came back to Croke Park to play 2 nights during the Joshua Tree Tour. It's amazing stuff, as everything seems to be totally different now. Edge's ponytail, Bono's childish face, Croke Park was twice as small and looked hundred years older, the Troubles in Northern Ireland were still a big issue, Dublin looked like shit. U2 fans on the pitch were crushing each other, crowd control was invented years later, right after Hillsborough. The band played the songs with a lot more pace, the BPM was at least 20 higher, U2 played stadiums without the usage of videoscreens. It looks like the crowd was at least 20 years younger (and wilder) then. No single person had a camera, was hooked up to cyberspace or were talking to each other. They all went mad!

It got me thinking what I did and where I was back then and I realized I am - and we are - getting old :-) Lots of things have changed, and now it's coming back. I'm really curious to see what tricks the band will have to make us relive that 1987 feeling. Will Edge and Bono have huge hair-implants? Will they play their songs in 1980's BPM? Will the Dalton Brothers come back? Will U2 have the guts to tell the audience that smartphones are strictly forbidden? Can they shut down the internet on show night? Are they going to refuse to use videoscreens? 

Or will they change the only thing that's still the same? Larry Mullen junior... 

Hope you guys were successful with the ticket quest, at least that was a lot easier this time.

In case you're interested, take a break and watch U2 - World in Action 1987. You'll love it!

post-296403-0-12156300-1484230504_thumb.jpg

DBUGGY    0

I was at that gig. The one in 1985 there for Unforgettable Fire was my first ever concert. The crowd was a lot younger! I was 13. The only bit of crowd control was the security at the front, the barriers were wooden, not metal like they have now. You could bring bottles and food into the stadium too. The tshirts we're sold wrapped in cling film and we're wrapped around a piece of cardboard. I remember people setting fire to them and using them like frisbees across the crowd! It was kinda mad at those gigs, kids from all around the country turning up in Dublin to see their heroes. Very exciting.

I also saw Simple Minds play there in 1986 and Bono came on with them to play the best song of the night, New Gold Dream.

There's a clip of I Will Follow from 1985 on YouTube too. Check it out.

Martinmc    0

I'm on the bus in this documentary.

Was a approached by a guy from Granada TV at the bus station on the morning of the first gig.

Thought we were going to be part of a great TV programme, but apart from the live songs the programme was a bit crap.

TV guys on the bus were looking for soundbites, from the "kids" on the bus, they got a couple, regarding the problems in the North.  Most of us told then we were their for the music not the politics.

Was a approached by a guy from Granada TV at the bus station on the morning of the first gig.

Thought we were going to be part of a great TV programme, but apart from the live songs the programme was a bit crap.

TV guys on the bus were looking for soundbites, from the "kids" on the bus, they got a couple, regarding the problems in the North.  Most of us told then we were their for the music not the politics.

So have you seen this before? Or did it shocked you seeing yourself back after all these years?

Martinmc    0

So have you seen this before? Or did it shocked you seeing yourself back after all these years?

We were all told when the show was going to air, so we had the Video recorders set to tape the show. It was the 80s!

When it went to youtube a number of years ago, we all dug it out and watched again.  

Ireland has changed a lot in the last 30 years. Most things have improved.

carlie550    0

I was on the bus too!  And I vaguely remember this documentary being aired. 

That was a great summer - I saw every Irish concert on the tour, several in England and Wales and then inter-railed around Europe, seeing them play another 5 shows.  Ah, the days before work and childcare responsibilities took over .....

Thanks for posting this, great piece of nostalgia

u2fancat    0

Jeez, the days when only women did the housework. In the ads, certainly! Yuck.

Otherwise, terrific.. takes me back!

yardie    14

Blocked!  ;)

Martinmc    0

Not Guilty !

Although there were plenty on bus who were.

Ah the days where there was no bars at concerts in Ireland

DBUGGY    0

Everyone had plastic bottles back then, which were thrown up in the air over the crowd. I was only 13 at the Croke Park gig in 85, so I wasn't drinking, but I'm sure people were bringing cider in.

They also had pieces of cardboard in the t-shirts when you bought them from the merchandise stand and people were setting fire to them and using them like frisbees out over the crowd. Mental !

They didn't allow drinks in Croke park on the vertigo tour on the pitch or in the stands. They had bars on the concourse, but you couldn't bring the drinks into your seats or on the pitch.

Martinmc    0

Ah the days where there was no bars at concerts in Ireland

No bars? As in 'no beer' not even a pint of Guinness? 

Nope not even a pint of Guinness!

Most Concert venues were alcohol free in the 1980s (to Joe Public anyway), which resulted in a lot of people getting really drunk before going into venues. Or smuggling in drink in.

Common sense and the revenue from bars changed all that around early 1990s.

They didn't allow drinks in Croke park on the vertigo tour on the pitch or in the stands. They had bars on the concourse, but you couldn't bring the drinks into your seats or on the pitch.

Well that's quite common at sports events too across the UK and Ireland, isn't it? You can have a beer, but you can't bring it to the stands. 

pheonix    0

yes i was there in croke park with a couple of my buddys,and cork a week later.In that world in action docu you can clearly see myself n a friend jumping up and down to streets a couple of times!! And yes hair was a "little"longer :rolleyes: great memories.To this day i hav'nt missed a tour from the boy album,and lucky to catch them in boston new york n several times in uk :)