jenmusic

Have to Count - the new and improved one :P

44, 956 - Late-night counting and the accommodation is sorted. This is where decent language skills really pay off B)

44957 - Tired counting after a busy weekend of working and songwriting. Looking forward to having tomorrow's bank holiday Monday off!

44, 958 - Excited and nervous counting - nearly holiday time and I'm terrified we'll forget something. Or that we'll get there and my brain will go blank language-wise :unsure:

4 hours ago, padawanbeck84 said:

44, 958 - Excited and nervous counting - nearly holiday time and I'm terrified we'll forget something. Or that we'll get there and my brain will go blank language-wise :unsure:

44959 - Had that exact language thing in Berlin. For some weird reason they can just tell you're not local. My dad would speak in German and whoever he was talking to responded in English! 😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, peterferris8 said:

44959 - Had that exact language thing in Berlin. For some weird reason they can just tell you're not local. My dad would speak in German and whoever he was talking to responded in English! 😂

44, 960 - Well, when people of other nationalities speak English, we can usually recognise where they're from by their accent, so presumably it works the opposite way too "Oh look, it's an English person trying to speak German..." At least we make the effort :)

2 hours ago, peterferris8 said:

3 minutes ago, padawanbeck84 said:

44, 960 - Well, when people of other nationalities speak English, we can usually recognise where they're from by their accent, so presumably it works the opposite way too "Oh look, it's an English person trying to speak German..." At least we make the effort :)

44, 961 That happened to us in Paris too. I think if you go in trying, they will accommodate you the best they can. We were behind some obnoxious American girls in a pastry shop and the shop guy said “bon jour” and one the girls did a little laugh and said, “uh, yeah, we don’t speak French. I want a croissant.” He was so rude to them after that and all I could think was “no wonder the French hate us” Then it was our turn and my husband politely said “bon jour” and proceeded to order in French and then the guy spoke back to us in English. 😂

35 minutes ago, mich40 said:

44, 961 That happened to us in Paris too. I think if you go in trying, they will accommodate you the best they can. We were behind some obnoxious American girls in a pastry shop and the shop guy said “bon jour” and one the girls did a little laugh and said, “uh, yeah, we don’t speak French. I want a croissant.” He was so rude to them after that and all I could think was “no wonder the French hate us” Then it was our turn and my husband politely said “bon jour” and proceeded to order in French and then the guy spoke back to us in English. 😂

I forgot that very helpful trick (speaking first in the language so they know you are not from there, not being rude from a start) in a convenience store in Montreal and the girl behind the counter yelled at me for not speaking en francais... =(

quarante quatre mille neuf cent soixante deux... =P

3 hours ago, Max Tsukino said:

I forgot that very helpful trick (speaking first in the language so they know you are not from there, not being rude from a start) in a convenience store in Montreal and the girl behind the counter yelled at me for not speaking en francais... =(

quarante quatre mille neuf cent soixante deux... =P

44, 963 lol I remember that! Between trying to use my little bit of Spanish I know with you and little bit of French I remembered with the Montreal people, my mind was in overdrive. One of my uber drivers laughed at me bc I was speaking English, then he said something in French and I answered in Spanish. 🤪

4 hours ago, mich40 said:

44964 - I mean, with the croissant situation, those girls kinda deserved that, based on that quote it went a bit beyond just not bothering with the lingo! I work in food service and let's just say, if you're an unpleasant customer, you're gonna get some very passive-aggressive service...I saw a quote from Bono where he says "Don't p*** off the pizza guy. You're gonna depend on him!" 

Needless to say, next time I book a trip overseas I'm going to download Duolingo!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

44 965

I don't travel often, like barely ever. I'm bad in that way if communication. I just nod & smile & point. I better prepare as I would like to go to Quebec. It's supposedly very beautiful there & an old city. 

I often do meet people who don't speak English. Then it's like charades. Usually I can project enough to keep things friendly. 

Lucky for me I get to travel the world following the tours online.

Edited by hestia

On 5/27/2019 at 5:07 PM, peterferris8 said:

44964 - I mean, with the croissant situation, those girls kinda deserved that, based on that quote it went a bit beyond just not bothering with the lingo! I work in food service and let's just say, if you're an unpleasant customer, you're gonna get some very passive-aggressive service...I saw a quote from Bono where he says "Don't p*** off the pizza guy. You're gonna depend on him!" 

Needless to say, next time I book a trip overseas I'm going to download Duolingo!

44 966

Over worked & underpaid can sometime make workers short or cross. That's when I just use nouns.😉😊

44967 I my country they speak Dutch, French and a minority German. I don't need to go abroad for some linguistic confusion. 😉

• Haha 2

44 968

Mostly English here, but throw in some regional accents- it can take a bit to sink in...😊

• Haha 1

44969 - Getting what I now call The Joshua Tree feels in the wake of the announcement. They're something I've been getting from time to time ever since the 2017 tour but I've only just managed to put a name to them!

44970 It must be cool to attend the JT 2019 tour in Australia or Japan (or in one of the other countries).

Posted (edited)

44971 - Exasperated counting as my country is once again rolling out the red carpet for Trump today. This is the one good thing about all these Brexit shenanigans - for just a little while, you forget who's in the White House across the pond.

Edited by peterferris8

44972 - Best of luck to everyone attempting to buy Joshua Tree tour tickets today!

44973 Too much wind and rain again today.

44, 975 - Getting back into the counting now that I'm back from holiday. I managed quite well language-wise - it definitely helps in terms of making friends with hotel/restaurant staff if they can see you're making the effort. 

And I was only sick once on the ferry. I'd been nervous about that as I'd never sailed before, but it was a very pleasant way to travel :)

44977 Welcome back Padawan. Did you go to France? 

7 hours ago, Malahide said:

44977 Welcome back Padawan. Did you go to France? 

44, 978 - I went to Spain :) Explored the Basque Country, Cantabria and Asturias - we drove through some very picturesque areas, although Bilbao is a nightmare to navigate when you've never been there before and don't have sat-nav.

I swear it took two hours of going in circles until we found the hostel and parking! :wacko:

44979 I hope the hotel staff was friendly and competent. No Fawlty Towers chaos. 😉

• Like 1