Sign in to follow this  
RockHardly05

Is it allowed/weird/dumb to have a GoPro in the RED Zone?

I'm not even sure I would do this if allowed - but was just curious - has anyone ever used a GoPro as close as the red zone? 

I see tons of videos from people at large concerts - but usually far back from the stage.  Was just wondering if anyone had ever tried to get video like this close up?

Would be cool to be able to get video of the concert without standing there holding a camera - even though you'd look a bit weird with a camera on your head.

The show I was at in the RZ last the guy standing in front of me to my left filmed the whole show... On his phone. I don't think he saw any of the show with his own eyes and the people behind him were annoyed. I found the constant light reflecting from his phone to be very distracting. A lovely (really) serious security guard was right in front of us and didn't say anything. I think a go pro would be way less annoying. But, they always release a DVD. I say enjoy the moment you paid $350 for, snap two or three good pics on your phone and buy the DVD. :)

I was in redzone in London last tour. I barely used my phone for photos really. It's such a great experience you shouldn't waste it by filming. It will come out on DVD and there's always tons of footage on YouTube of every gig.

I've never seen it. I'm not sure I would recommend it to be honest. As. RED zone person myself, I wouldn't want to be the person behind or near the one fan filming the entire thing. Take a couple pictures, maybe a small video clip, then put your camera away & enjoy the experience.

I wouldn't like it because the camera on your head makes it harder for people behind you to see.

Agree with others. Be in the moment! Enjoy the show! A couple of photos and a clip and then put it away!

I've never seen it. I'm not sure I would recommend it to be honest. As. RED zone person myself, I wouldn't want to be the person behind or near the one fan filming the entire thing. Take a couple pictures, maybe a small video clip, then put your camera away & enjoy the experience.

I would not tolerate the light from a phone for a long span of time.  I'd ask them to stop.  If they did not then I'd get an usher to do it.  Those things are so annoying if they have the reflective light.  I can't stop it but it's irritating when multitudes hold up their phones when the show opens.  It used to be house to half...house to whole.  Now it's house to half...house to whole...then phones bring it back up to half.  Why?  As Shannon387 and other say, it's not going to matter in the long run. You'll be missing out on something incredibly unique and amazing.  There is no band quite like U2 live. I rediscover it every time I see them.

GoPro is small enough not to cause issues with security. Small cameras are okay with U2 (from my experience) and usually other bands. U2 are also okay with folks filming their shows, so GoPro in and of itself is not an issue.

However... as others have mentioned, be in the moment! The video will record the sound. It will record light. But it won't record feelings. There are plenty of other people filming the show, so you don't have to do it! Is the time spent caring about the camera, battery, positioning worth the time lost enjoying the show? Is it worth for a crappy sounding, very shaky video?

I admin, in my I+E shows I took a about two dozen pics with my phone and that was enough. Most of them were pics taking during intermission or before/after the show. There are quite enough official pictures/videos and/or pictures/videos from other people to satisfy my need.

To shed a slightly different light on this. Some comments refered to other people filming the show. I'm one of those people that upload, I would like say decent video's from concerts, including U2, on Youtube. I started out about 7 years ago around the time of the first 360 shows. I wanted to have decent video's of the concert that I went to, so I could enjoy it again. But as most concert vids on Youtube are crap and the official dvd is good, but usually a pimped videoclip style video from a show that I did not attend, I decided to try it myself. 

I take notice of the people around me when I'm at the show. I don't want to be in the way too much of anyone. I don't use a phone but a compact camera, which I set to a low brightness level. A steady hand, proper framing and solid audio makes for a good concert video. I've had many people enjoy and comment on my uploads which is gratifying. I don't always film everything or sometimes nothing at all. I often go to multiple shows, so I think it's worth it for me.

But as others have said, if its just to have some facebook pics or to show people the next day, just take a few snap/selfies and a clip and then put it away. Basically, go all the way, or just keep it at that. Also, a camera on your head is cool with sports, but you head moves a lot. And a shaky vid is very hard to watch. Also, if you have the bad luck to be behind a tall guy, then you are done anyway.

Nearly every reply to this post missed the original question, which was MAY you record in rz with a go pro, not SHOULD you.

First off, I don't know if it's allowed for sure, but I'd be surprised if anyone disallowed it.

Secondly, in defense of recording: there are numerous legitimate reasons someone wants to record. At the start of the tour, fans all over the world will be trying to see what the show is like before they get their chance to see the band. Even more so if they couldn't score tickets themselves. They sure don't want to wait a year until after the tour has ended to watch the DVD. DVDs are obviously better quality. But they often don't capture the rare songs the band play throughout the tour. I captured U2 doing Hallelujah in Montreal - incredible performance not found on any DVD. I also captured When Love Comes To Town the night after BB King died (Vancouver 2). Can't see that anywhere else, and people want to watch performances like that.

Thirdly, if you choose to record, I firmly believe there is etiquette that should be followed - no bright lights or flashes, don't block others view, and stop using f***ing iPads to record (seen it too many times).

It's far too easy for someone to say "just enjoy the experience". Personally recording a song here and there has never negatively impacted my concert experience. But it has let me relive amazing concert moments long after the show.

Just be discreet and respectful of all around you.

The show I was at in the RZ last the guy standing in front of me to my left filmed the whole show... On his phone. I don't think he saw any of the show with his own eyes and the people behind him were annoyed. I found the constant light reflecting from his phone to be very distracting. A lovely (really) serious security guard was right in front of us and didn't say anything. I think a go pro would be way less annoying. But, they always release a DVD. I say enjoy the moment you paid $350 for, snap two or three good pics on your phone and buy the DVD. :)

I so endorse this post. My new dislike, boarding on hate, is people who hold up a phone in front of me for extended periods. I usually tolerate a few snaps now and then throughout the show, but good grief - it has become out of control. The last concert I attended - Foo Fighters- I told the gal (very nicely) "hey, why don't you watch the show with your eyes and enjoy the moment, cause it won't again. You will be able to go online and find 1000s of pics from this very concert posted but you are not getting the eye to brain live connection ever again". She paused, thought for a minute and then said "you know what you are right". Put away her camera and proceeded to jam her ass off to the music instead of trying to take pictures. Thanked me after the show actually. Good moment. 

Nearly every reply to this post missed the original question, which was MAY you record in rz with a go pro, not SHOULD you.

Technically, we were also invited to weigh in on whether it was allowed, weird, or dumb, too. ;-)

Personally recording a song here and there has never negatively impacted my concert experience.

The more important bit is whether it negatively impacts the concert experience of people around/behind you. 

Edited by jeffwalsh

there's always tons of footage on YouTube of every gig.

True, but that only exists because people film and share it. The key thing is to manage it so you aren't intruding on other peoples enjoyment and balance with your own. I've filmed plenty at shows over the years and enjoy watching my footage back, though I always attend multiple shows so ration it across the tour and only film when I can get a clear shot below my eye-line so as not to block anyones view. Those clips go on youtube for people to watch if they choose.

As for a GoPro, I have seen them occasionally at gigs. One at a Taylor Swift show got stopped about 10 minutes in (back in the days before her great purge on youtube videos), another was at The Prodigy (actually that footage from the mosh pits would have been fascinating). So people do use them, but really not sure the point of them. If you are on the barrier shoot a couple of songs with a proper camera, your footage will be much better. Even with a GoPro, to have anything watchable you'd need to stand pretty much still for the entire show anyway.

Unless it was shot in 4k I wouldn't do it.

;o]

Personally I think bands/singers should record every show they perform and offer it for sale afterward as an extra revenue stream. I would have LOVED a recording of the Naked and Famous this past Saturday. And Young the Giant the day before that.

Edited by Sigma957

I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but there's a serious motion sickness potential for anyone who tries to watch your playback...trying to stand still to film U2 in that energy will be completely impossible.

Leave it to the professionals like Mek Vox or someone else who hopefully films your show for You Tube, then just look for yourself in the crowd. The 3rd person is a very cool perspective! If they don't tape their camera to the rail, they must have some serious motion control. I was lucky there are great recordings for at least LA1 and LA3 I+E produced in 1080p quality. Thank you!

Not sure what show(s) you'll be in RZ, but if you do try to record, maybe stand against the back RZ rail by the opening close to the beer cart. This way you'll have a bigger view of the stage since this RZ looks tiny everywhere and you won't piss off the outside GAers either.

Here's a link for a plug as he actually captured a lot of the i+e shows:

Edited by Jason D Newport Bch, CA

The camera policies probably vary somewhat from venue to venue.  The band will give their list of what is and what isn't allowed, and then local security will either enforce that as written, or unofficially add or subtract things as they want.  I don't go to as many concerts in general as I did ten years ago, but even then, I can't tell you how many times a band's official website might say that cameras are okay, and then you show up, and the local security isn't letting anything in and they just don't care what the website says, and then threaten to eject you for asking if there's a supervisor you can talk to.  So the bottom line is, GoPros could be allowed, or not allowed, but it'll really be up to the security people at the gate (whether or not its supposed to be).  In general, U2 in the past have officially allowed small cameras with non-detachable lenses.  Officially, the guidelines from previous tours specified that they had to be still cameras.  I don't think anyone got a camera taken away because it was a still camera that also had a video function, but since a GoPro is more clearly a video camera, that might raise a red flag.  If you have a professional camera, or an amateur camera that has detachable parts, they are more likely to stop you than if you had a tiny camera. 

But I think the larger question is, how will you using a GoPro affect everyone around you? 

- Will you be blocking the view that people have?  If you're on the floor, it's almost impossible not to - even if one doesn't hold his camera as high over the head as possible, it's the sightlines between people's heads and bodies that many fellow audience members rely on, and people holding up cameras even to shoulder height can be the difference between people behind them seeing or not seeing.

- Does the camera put out a lot of light?  A flash or camera light is obviously a no-no, but does the camera have any other light?  Does it have a viewscreen on the back that you look through?  Those things throw off a lot of light and most people using them remain oblivious to that.  U2 uses very sophisticated lighting design; they've spent millions of dollars to get light cues to complement and enhance the performance at every step, and every time your device throws off some light, you're interfering with the show that the band has designed.

- Does the camera make any noise?  In theory, digital cameras should be silent, but many of them come with preprogrammed sounds to mimic an analog camera. There's no reason that a digital camera needs to make a clicking sound when taking a photo, but people using the camera tend to like the sounds because it makes it feel more like taking a photo the old fashioned way.  It's possible to turn these functions off, but most people either don't know how to or choose not to.  And believe it or not, it's entirely possible to hear the "click" sound from the camera even during a concert.

- Are you still aware of your surroundings, or are you just watching the show through your camera lens?  In theory, that shouldn't impact anyone, but in practice, people who are looking through a lens aren't looking at their surroundings, which makes them more likely to bump, trip, fall, push or shove you during the show.  Since smartphones took over everything, the amount of drunken idiots that have bumped into me during a show has stayed the same, but the number of sober people bumping into me as increased dramatically.  A drunk person will probably apologize for bumping into you if they realize they did it.  A person taking photos will just get mad at you for existing.

One of the most unpleasant experiences I've ever had a U2 concert was during the I&E tour, when the band started to play All I Want Is You, a song that I had never heard them play live before and had wanted to hear for ages.  The woman in front of me whipped out her phone, held it over her head completely blocking my view, and then started leaning on me to steady herself.  She felt completely entitled not only to her space but to mine, and use of my body, and didn't care at all that she was being so rude.  I see more and more of this type of behavior when people try to use cameras during the show, especially when they're doing more than just recording their favorite song or taking a few pictures.

In general, I'd advise against filming at a show and especially from the floor and especially from the Red Zone.  It's too easy to disrupt other people's positive experiences without even being aware of what you're doing, and your $350 Red Zone ticket does not give you the right to make my $350 Red Zone ticket worthless.

I realize this may be a minority opinion, but unfortunately, I've had too many bad experiences with amateur photographers and videographers at shows.

I so endorse this post. My new dislike, boarding on hate, is people who hold up a phone in front of me for extended periods. I usually tolerate a few snaps now and then throughout the show, but good grief - it has become out of control. The last concert I attended - Foo Fighters- I told the gal (very nicely) "hey, why don't you watch the show with your eyes and enjoy the moment, cause it won't again. You will be able to go online and find 1000s of pics from this very concert posted but you are not getting the eye to brain live connection ever again". She paused, thought for a minute and then said "you know what you are right". Put away her camera and proceeded to jam her ass off to the music instead of trying to take pictures. Thanked me after the show actually. Good moment. 

Oh my Gosh, I wish had been less shy and said something because it was massively annoying. I had flown in from Dallas on a 5 am flight that day and the light was so obnoxious to my tired eyes. But shyness and fear of starting a confrontation as a solo female alone 800 miles from home kept me from being as assertive as I should have been because he filmed the ENTIRE show. I mean the whole damn thing. Holding his phone in the air from the front barrier of the RZ. The. whole. show. Next time I will say something.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but there's a serious motion sickness potential for anyone who tries to watch your playback...trying to stand still to film U2 in that energy will be completely impossible.

I agree with Jason; Your head moves around so much, that anything you record will be difficult to watch.

When we are moving around in real life our eyes/inner ears/brain work together so we don't even realise how much our head moves.

And a GoPro had such a wide angle that unless you're on the stage; most of what you record will be very small

Bell ends holding their phones up infuriate me its all part of the look at me social media obsession .Just enjoy the show and stop spoiling it for others behind you .I took a water pistol last time and it worked they were not up long in front of me