PacoBear

How many of you were at the original Joshua Tree tour?

badlands65    23

April 2 1987 - Opening night of the tour in Tempe and my first U2 show. Bono's voice was gone, but the crowd singing with ( and for ) him made it a special show. Like nothing I had seen or heard before.

April 5 1987 - Tucson and Bono's voice is back. The  capacity of the Tucson Community Center is 9000. Is this the smallest show of the tour?

smcuth    0

Friday, Sept 25 , 1987.

JFK Stadium, Philadelphia.

17 years old. 1st U2 show. Incredible. As opening drums of Bullet start a huge plane flies low over stadium (airport close by) and everyone points their fingers skyward like a scene from close encounters.

Bono, says" would anyone like to play me guitar? Would Bruce Springsteen like to play my guitar?" Place erupts as Bruce comes out and they sing Stand By Me.

Haven't missed a tour since and I'll be on the rail in GA in Philly 30 years later, but with my family in tow and a close friend who as there with me in 87'. Can't wait!!

yardie    14

A balmy Sunday evening in Dublin, June 1987. On the pitch. (listened to the Saturday night show from an alleyway about 500yrs from the ground). Special times.

drewster    0

Yep, Wembley on 13/6/87, the saturday iirc and then Cardiff Arms Park shortly after !!! Brilliant.    

ADAMB    0

Saw them Wembley, Cardiff, Leeds, and Murrayfield. The best year of the 80s as the following year 88 I lost my dad. Taking my 15 yr old son to Twickenham, in God's country live again will make my day.

Edited by ADAMB

• Wembley Arena 2nd June

Wembley Stadium 11-12 June

Dublin Croke Park 27 June 1987 (met Bono at his Martello Tower home in dun laoghaire in the morning, and failed to tell him it was my 19th birthday), some bloke climbed up on the stadium roof...

Edited by ourmaninbananas

chris bates    0

Birmingham NEC 3rd June

Wembley Stadium 12th & 13th June

Elland Rd Leeds 1st July

Cardiff Arms Park 25th July

Edinburgh Murrayfield Stadium 1st August 

Birmingham NEC 4th August

moyabean    0

Oct. 11, 1987

Rochester, NY

Silver Stadium (demolished in 1998)

My first U2 concert. Bono had his arm in a sling after hurting his shoulder during another concert a few nights before, some lucky guy got to play guitar on stage, and I practically died and went heaven when they played Unforgettable Fire.

cbraun    0

Very vivid memories of seeing them in Vancouver 1987.  Including the crowd singing '40' as we were leaving through the tunnels of the stadium after the show.  Amazing night

notthesame    0

This was my first tour and I was fortunate enough to live in New Mexico in 1987.

10 April Las Cruces

7 November Denver

19 and 20 Tempe

What a year!

Jeff    0

Indianapolis, IN on Nov 1 1987, the band opened for themselves disguised as a oountry and western band, calling themselves The Dalton Bros! Crazy stuff, know one knew who it was at first!!

cincy mike    0

Pontiac Silverdome April 30, 1987...First U2 concert (a religious experience)

Rupp Arena, Lexington,Kentucky October 23, 1987 - Amazing performance.

jeffwalsh    0

Sadly, I did shift from curiosity into fan during Joshua Tree, but it was after the local show had happened or was sold out... so Zoo TV was my first time seeing them live.

joshthetree    42

Indianapolis, IN on Nov 1 1987, the band opened for themselves disguised as a oountry and western band, calling themselves The Dalton Bros! Crazy stuff, know one knew who it was at first!!

Bet that was fun to see

Tarrant County Convention Center (Ft. Worth) Nov 24, 1987... 'Love' came to town for the first time...

So funny, I remember being so disappointed when the first show sold out (Smithereens opened) and as my mate and I were getting into the car from the ticketron(?) seller location, the local radio DJ said, "second show added"... We rushed back in and were 3rd in line. Got row 17 floor, but thought bummer that "only BB King" is opening this show.

Oh, how I would love to relive that night live instead of watching for myself on the Rattle & Hum video in the audience. So special. Was also the first date with my wife - hitting 28 years now - see you all in H-town and Toronto this year.

mgoughler    0

YES!  9/25/1987.  Philadelphia PA.  Memorable moments 1. When Bullet the Blue Sky started....a commercial jet I guess was on it's landing approach and flew dead center over the stage coming from behind it.  2. He let somebody on stage to play his guitar for a song and then, who could forget these words?  "Does anybody else want to play my guitar?   Bruce Springsteen....Bruce Springsteen wants to play my guitar!....I guess you know him?"  and the played Stand By Me.  That was 29 1/2 years ago and still burned into my memory banks!

J3Davis    0

14 November 1987.  Oakland Coliseum.  

Saw Armand Vaillancourt spray paint on U2's backdrop after Bono spray painted on his sculpture a few days earlier. 

Just Awesome.