PacoBear

How many of you were at the original Joshua Tree tour?

110 posts in this topic

Dec. 12 1987 Hampton, Virginia. Dalton Bros and Larry singing Tequila Sunrise. 

I saw the original tour at Croke Park, Cork and Wembley Stadium.  Having experienced U2 in tiny venues from the start, it was amazing to see how huge crowds, many of whom had never seen the band live, reacted to the performances.  It made me especially proud of them and how far they had come by then.  Really looking forward to this tour.  

St. Paul Civic Arena, St. Paul Minnesota 11/3/87. First of many U2 shows.

Saw them at Wembley Stadium, Cardiff Arms Park, & Birmingham NEC (Where my profile pic with Bono was taken).

Saw them for the first Denver show on Nov 7, 1987.  This show was filmed for Rattle & Hum as well, but I was bummed to see that apparently they used the Nov 8 show for the album and movie.  I remember buying a ticket from a friend of a friend for a whole $50 and I couldn't convince anyone else to get his other ticket.  So I went alone and had an empty seat next to me.  

• Dublin Croke Park 27 June 1987 (met Bono at his Martello Tower home in dun laoghaire in the morning, and failed to tell him it was my 19th birthday), some bloke climbed up on the stadium roof...

Was that not the famous Bono quote - "You might be a hard neck - but ya don't want a broken neck.... (to the guy that made it onto the old stadium roof)? It was the talk of the weekend. :)

Took my sister to the Joshua tour in Los Angeles. Taking my sister again this time in Houston on my Dads birthday. He was a fan so we are going to celebrate him at the U2 concert!

Cork 8/8/87. Edge's birthday.

No big screens, no script just the best songs around.

Posted (edited)

Oct. 20 University of Iowa, Iowa City

Bought a recordable cassette player and made a "bootleg" of show. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a recording of myself and my friends singing every song with backup vocals by Bono. Still have the cassette though.post-627309-0-24063700-1492301220_thumb.jpg

Edited by tbluej1

Awesome!

I went to 4 shows. Houston twice, Austin and second Denver night. I met them after the Austin show.

Saw them in Belfast, and both Dublin gigs.

Seen in Belfast also and one in Dublin a few days later

I saw the original tour.

I still have the tour shirt,in pretty good condition, and the ticket stub.

Wembley stadium on the Saturday i remember the fans climbing in through the toilet windows! !!!!

Fri., Oct. 9, 1987

Carrier Dome - Syracuse, NY

My second U2 show (the first being the Conspiracy of Hope tour finale in Giants Stadium the previous year).

The nice thing about this show is that recordings (audio and video) of it have always been plentiful - so, if I want to hear/see the show, it's just a few clicks away. :)

I had a friend in college who was able to get me a copy of that Syracuse show along with the "Rock N Roll Stops the Traffic" show from San Francisco that was featured in Rattle and Hum. I remember that both videos were very well shot and I really enjoyed experiencing those shows that I did not get to attend in person. I was very sad when I loaned the videotape to a friend and never got it back. Will have to look them up on the YouTube!

Staying on topic, I saw U2 during the original Joshua Tree Tour at the Orange Bowl in Miami, FL on December 3rd, 1987. 

I went to the JT concert at the SECC in Glasgow when I was  a teenager :)  Looking forward to Berlin!

Love to all

Michael

Saw them at Leeds Elland Road and Edinburgh Murrayfield way back in 1987. And so started 30 years of tours

D.C.

Philly

Meadowlands

Tampa

Tempe x2

Yes!  I was 14 and was tagging along with my 24 yo brother.  Him and I will be in the GA line again! Cannot wait!

Omni/ Atlanta/ December '87 Sat in the bleachers behind the stage. Watched Bono from behind! Countin em down, one hundred, two hundred...Then One Tree Hill rang out over the radio on the drive home. I've loved them ever since. I've lost track of the trips to see them since 1987. Lots of frequent flyer miles racked up! Joshua Tree in Tampa will be a dream come true. The word is out now. And I miss the Propaganda days when we didn't sit in the chairs provided in the front row, but stood and sang our hearts out, right along with Bono. I think we threw him off key sometimes! Let's go to the church of U2 Tampa!

The Joshua Tree tour was my first U2 show. They played CNE Stadium on a frigid October night in 1987. For those unfamiliar with CNE stadium, it was build on the shore of Lake Ontario, and was notorious for the cool breezes that blew through it. This was wonderful during shows on hot summer nights, not so much on an already mild day in October! Unfortunately, my friend and I learned this the hard way, dressed only in denim jackets, jeans and t-shirts. Fortunately for us, I was a rather charming 19 year-old at the time, and we convinced the two lovely ladies seated next to us to share the spiced rum they'd smuggled into the stadium with us, which kept us warm most of the night. I never got their names, but these two lovely young ladies certainly helped enhance the evening for us!

12 shows over both US legs.

LA (Sports Arena?) x1

NJ (Brendan Byrne Arena) x5

Nassau Coliseum x2

Madison Square Garden x2

Chicago (Rosemont Horizon) x2

I boycotted the Giants Stadium show because the idea of seeing them in a stadium was unfathomable. I thought they'd lost their minds. I mean, I'd been to Conspiracy of Hope but it's not like they chose stadiums for that one.

30yrs and countless stadium shows later...I'm packed and ready to head out to Vancouver in a few days! (Still much prefer arenas)

Houston Texas, at The Summit, which is now Joel Osteen's "church".  Lone Justice, fronted by the lovely Maria McKee were the opening act. By far, the best opening act I have seen for U2.