PacoBear

How many of you were at the original Joshua Tree tour?

I saw them in Pittsburgh in October 1987. It was my first bootleg recording of a U2 show. My brother and I ended up in the 7th row middle thanks to my subscription to the U2 World Service. Awesome night.

I saw the San Diego 1987 show, my first U2 concert, so I'm pretty excited about this one coming up!

Justin Herman Plaza San Francisco Save the Yuppies show when Bono grafitied on the sculpture!

On 2017-05-08 at 9:45 AM, truenorthstrongnfree said:

The Joshua Tree tour was my first U2 show. They played CNE Stadium on a frigid October night in 1987. For those unfamiliar with CNE stadium, it was build on the shore of Lake Ontario, and was notorious for the cool breezes that blew through it. This was wonderful during shows on hot summer nights, not so much on an already mild day in October! Unfortunately, my friend and I learned this the hard way, dressed only in denim jackets, jeans and t-shirts. Fortunately for us, I was a rather charming 19 year-old at the time, and we convinced the two lovely ladies seated next to us to share the spiced rum they'd smuggled into the stadium with us, which kept us warm most of the night. I never got their names, but these two lovely young ladies certainly helped enhance the evening for us!

Awesome! I was at that show as well! You've reminded me how damn cold it was.

I'll never forget the how the show opened - that long instrumental bit, the curtain dropping revealing the Joshua Tree, lights flashing and Edge's guitar kicking in. Chills just thinking about it! Unforgettable! Can't wait to see them in Toronto next month.

I saw them at the Meadowlands in May 1987. It was a day or so after I came home from my freshman year of college. I had just finished exams and it was all one big, happy blur.

I was at Wembley stadium and more importantly at the Wembley arena gig which I seem to recall was fan club members only ?

anyone else at that one ?

I was at Montpellier concert, on July 18th 1987. The openers were Big Audio Dynamite, UB40 and The Pretenders. I was sixteen three days after.

It was a hot summer night, I was around 20 feet from the stage, and this show made the U2 fan I am still today. It was my second concert, first one was Queen the year before.

I will celebrate this 30th anniversary on July 18th 2017 in Barcelona with one of my best friend, who also was in Montpellier in 1987. Then I'll go to Dublin, and to Paris for 2 gigs.

Can't wait for this :)

v6__sedT.jpg

Edited by StephOnTour87

On 3/28/2017 at 0:56 PM, Eric Anderson said:

Saw them for the first Denver show on Nov 7, 1987.  This show was filmed for Rattle & Hum as well, but I was bummed to see that apparently they used the Nov 8 show for the album and movie.  I remember buying a ticket from a friend of a friend for a whole $50 and I couldn't convince anyone else to get his other ticket.  So I went alone and had an empty seat next to me.  

I saw both the Denver shows, Nov. 7-8. I'm pretty sure they used at least some footage from November 7 in the movie. In particular the song Bad - on November 8 Bono crowdsurfed on his back for about half the song and my friends and I were saying "this is definitely going in the movie" and IIRC it is not. That song, or at least some of it, was filmed on 11/7. There may be others, too, don't remember.

I saw them in St. Paul 11/3/87 (first night) from front row with The BoDeans opening. Seeing them tomorrow night in Arlington (10 minutes from my house!)  and for the first time since POPMart I have seats for this one. BTW, the photo of Bono was taken on 11/4/87 at the hotel in Minneapolis. He signed the trunk of a car and drew a smiley face and a frown face and wrote "Now you've met the both of me". :) 

u2 87.jpg

Edited by mdarwin
added info

I was at the arms park '87, got solid memories of stand by me playing just before the lads went onstage then they came on to finish the song.. class! Also Edge kicking a rugger ball from stage saying his father had dreams of him 'playing' at the arms park someday!! 

The Alarm and Mike Peters singing ' Bells of  Rhymney ' was another highlight for me. The Pretenders and The Silencers on the bill...

Edited by davidperkin52

Tampa Stadium, 5 December 1987. Buckwheat Zydeco and Los Lobos opened. A freezing cold night (for Tampa anyway), but without question one of the greatest concert experiences of my life. Most certainly the highlight of my eight (?) shows dating back to 2 May 1985 at the USF Sun Dome in Tampa, on the Unforgettable Fire tour. Afterwards our group of extremely happy concertgoers went to local pub MacDinton's, where we caught a show by a local band known as the Headlights, who remained favorites of ours until their demise in 1993. All in all, one of those most treasured of evenings!

U2_Tampa_5_December_1987.jpg

Edited by TampaDan

I was there at 3 Rivers with my college roommate and his future wife. They ended up with two sons....both of whom have been to U2 shows with their parents.

Got out of the car and bought tickets from the first scalper we saw...and ended up with awesome seats. Poor college students....sneaking wine into the stadium because we couldn't afford stadium beer prices.