Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
allyson2008

Who were you in 1987?

19 posts in this topic

I just watched a video of Red Hill Mining Town. I started thinking about and remembering who I was in 1987...

Who were you in 1987? How different are you now?
Back then, who did you think you would become thirty years later? Did you become that person?
If you could go back to 1987, what advice would you give to your younger self?

(All this is assuming you were alive in 1987  ;) )

In 1987, I was just turning 3 :lol:  

I didn't know who U2 were at that age so I'm very glad that they're doing this JT anniversary tour.

As for advice, I'd tell myself to try and avoid the football accident where I got kicked in the head aged about 9. That led to me developing epilepsy which really messed up my later childhood and teen years.

I was a 9 year old kid who was into Transformers and Star Wars.

30 years later I'm a 39 year old who is into Transformers and Star Wars.

A Mess....

Behind that smiling face in my profile picture, I was also a mess. I turned 19 that year and had just finished my first year of college.

My high school sweetheart (who I was engaged to) broke up with me after 4 years together because he got another girl pregnant. I was having panic attacks every day and night, not sleeping, and felt so very lost. The one thing that could soothe my mind: -- listening to The Joshua Tree on my Walkman.

I many ways, I am still the same person. In other ways I am very different. I wanted to be an artist (as in drawing and painting). I became a Medical Technologist (clinical laboratory scientist) and now I'm a technical writer for software companies. I wanted to be a mother but never had any children. I thought I would stay in my small town in the midwest forever, but I left. I lived in Boston for 14 years and now I've been in Dallas for 5 years.

At 19, I felt so much pressure to prove myself -- to figure out a plan for the future. I wish I could tell the girl in the picture to slow down and stop trying to be so perfect.

...and listening to The Joshua Tree (on my iPhone) still soothes my mind.

I was an 8 year-old boy completely unaware of U2 ;)

I was in the making......Like literally......You know...that stuff  lovers do when they love each other.......

A Mess....

Behind that smiling face in my profile picture, I was also a mess. I turned 19 that year and had just finished my first year of college.

My high school sweetheart (who I was engaged to) broke up with me after 4 years together because he got another girl pregnant. I was having panic attacks every day and night, not sleeping, and felt so very lost. The one thing that could soothe my mind: -- listening to The Joshua Tree on my Walkman.

I many ways, I am still the same person. In other ways I am very different. I wanted to be an artist (as in drawing and painting). I became a Medical Technologist (clinical laboratory scientist) and now I'm a technical writer for software companies. I wanted to be a mother but never had any children. I thought I would stay in my small town in the midwest forever, but I left. I lived in Boston for 14 years and now I've been in Dallas for 5 years.

At 19, I felt so much pressure to prove myself -- to figure out a plan for the future. I wish I could tell the girl in the picture to slow down and stop trying to be so perfect.

...and listening to The Joshua Tree (on my iPhone) still soothes my mind.

Wow.....that's so messed up.......I'm feeling every word of your story, truly ........

Edited by pain_18_

19 - all sorted, thought the world was great! AT THAT TIME, it was better than great....it was awesome!

Look, if you were old enough to be at the 87 gigs and your life hasn't moved on - there just might be reasons for that within or without control.

And if your life has moved on? - You just never know where it will crash on you.

Take nothing for granted folks...though our natural tendencies are to do so. Enjoy the music. Someday it won't be there.

Edited by yardie

I was 3 yrs old...probably rockin with JT haha...been a fan since I can remember (I do remember R&H...I was 4).

Used to get my hair wet to look like Bono (he was sweating in the R&H movie).

I was 11 at the time, just being a happy kid I suppose. My mom was already into U2, so we did have the JT album (on cd!) and I got familiar with U2. Although lots of music was played. I became a fan during the Achtung period.

Advice to myself, none. No regrets.

You guys are making me feel very old!  :lol:

But it's really cool to hear your stories and that you've been fans for so much of your lives!

Yardie, you're so right - "take nothing for granted!" Indeed! :)

Around the time of the tour reaching Scotland I was 24 and in hospital after being diagnosed with Crohns disease, I remember watching a documentary and news coverage about the tour while standing right in front of the only TV in the ward with the volume low so I never woke up the older patients. I was hoping to get to my first concert but instead had 3 weeks of hell and a lot of pain. A lot has changed since, and I have been lucky enough to go to most tour concerts ever since.

I was 15.. became a lifelong fan that year. Which was to help me a lot over the next couple of years.

Wanted to be a scientist, but hey, I ended up as a technical writer too! I think the me I was then would've approved of the me I am now.. mostly. ;-)

Around the time of the tour reaching Scotland I was 24 and in hospital after being diagnosed with Crohns disease, I remember watching a documentary and news coverage about the tour while standing right in front of the only TV in the ward with the volume low so I never woke up the older patients. I was hoping to get to my first concert but instead had 3 weeks of hell and a lot of pain. A lot has changed since, and I have been lucky enough to go to most tour concerts ever since.

Crohns is difficult - I have a cousin who has dealt with it for most of her life. I'm sorry it messed up your plans! May you continue to have good health! 

I was 15.. became a lifelong fan that year. Which was to help me a lot over the next couple of years.

Wanted to be a scientist, but hey, I ended up as a technical writer too! I think the me I was then would've approved of the me I am now.. mostly. ;-)

"I think the me I was then would've approved of the me I am now.. mostly. ;-)" Same here! I think 19 year old me would be pretty amazed, actually. 

This is such a great question!

I was kind of a mess also.

Joshua Tree was like a window into the person I am now, the person I am still growing into.

A view of the big picture of life also relevant to what I was experiencing.

I was a young Mom, trying to take care of everything while still maintaining and mapping out my own identity. I was full of life..

I also had a lot of problems which I didn't understand at the time, but the Joshua Tree infused me with enthusiasm.

I guess I would tell my younger self.. You are doing great, you're going in the right direction,try not to get too distracted..

I still have to tell myself that, it seems I make slow progress.

I've got it good, tho, still going slow

I was a senior in high school. I had no idea where I was headed-was in love preparing for college but didn't take school seriously. I was crazy about U2 - Unforgettable Fire was my first concert and still one of very favorite albums. I would have a lot of advice for the now me- a lot of regrets.

I was a senior in high school. I had no idea where I was headed-was in love preparing for college but didn't take school seriously. I was crazy about U2 - Unforgettable Fire was my first concert and still one of very favorite albums. I would have a lot of advice for the now me- a lot of regrets.

Yes, I'm very good with advice, too

:)