Sign in to follow this  
MirrorballSuit

Is the U2.COM Subscription worth it any more?

A huge number of genuine fans have had BIG problems trying to get hold of pre-sale tickets thanks to 'The Machine' of LiveNation, TicketMaster and SeatWave, to which ultimately U2 belong as a Live Nation band.

Every tour it seems that, even for subscribers, it gets harder to get good tickets to see our favorite band. I remember the madness outside Earls Court, London in 1992 for ZooTV when the overnight queue for tickets broke down early the next day, causing a stampede over people still sleeping because people were crashing the queue. U2's attempt to stop touting/scalping meant that you had to apply in person to get a band on your wrist, BEFORE you could go in and buy tickets. Tickets were limited to 4 per person but by the time we got to the door, it was cut to 2.

Since then the Internet has happened and made ticket buying worse. Ticketmaster cause nearly all of that particular misery, and now they seem to have legalised touting by selling hundreds of thousands of tickets through SeatWave. And the worst thing? There has been ZERO COMMENT from the band. Why would they? Bite the hand that feeds...

It seems that, whether a member of Propaganda, or U2.COM, a pre-sale token no longer guarantees you a ticket to the gig of your choice. Many people signed up on the day, paying $50 for an access code, that was effectively useless. I believe that this is something the band, the site and Live Nation seriously need to address.

So the question that stands is this: Is it still worth the hassle for a long term fan like me to keep paying $50 a year for U2 subscription, when the pre-sales are worthless, the band seem more interested in doing anything BUT making new music, and the content refresh and news happens so infrequently? I bet most fans subscribe because of the pre-sale. We have all of the music a dozen times over already (Album > CD > Special Editions > iTunes etc). U2 COULD have hit on a trick of giving their last album away free to U2.COM subscribers a week before it hit iTunes. We would have been so much more grateful for THAT than the thousand's who complained that Bono was spamming their music library!

I just don't know. I feel jaded. I feel like Joshua Tree 2017 may be my last gig ... 22 gigs in several countries across every tour. A pilgrimage to Dublin in 2009 where we met the band. Subscription for years to Propaganda and the website. Being realistic - the hassle MAY be too much next time. Bono CAN'T sing anything like he used to. He croons like Neil Diamond most of the time. Big songs are detuned...

This could be the dawning realisation that the journey is ending. That I really did see the band peak during ZooTV and everything since has been 'good' but not 'great'. After the summer concerts, and if we EVER see that other album come to light ... we'll see.

U2 COULD have hit on a trick of giving their last album away free to U2.COM subscribers a week before it hit iTunes. We would have been so much more grateful for THAT than the thousand's who complained that Bono was spamming their music library!

I agree with that. My mum got the album before I did and she's not even a fan. Subscribers should have got it for "free" first IMO.

Edited by Grande 3:16

U2 COULD have hit on a trick of giving their last album away free to U2.COM subscribers a week before it hit iTunes. We would have been so much more grateful for THAT than the thousand's who complained that Bono was spamming their music library!

I agree with that. My mum got the album before I did and she's not even a fan. Subscribers should have got it for "free" first IMO.

We should have gotten a BONUS track version for free with tracks that no-one else would have got.......

Edited by pain_18_

Between me and a buddy we had no problem getting tickets for 4 shows this tour.

There were certainly issues, but I ended up with tickets in the price points I was looking for.

Very fair point! As someone who doesn't use iTunes I was really annoyed - long term fans like myself were not able to legally get it for free (I got it eventually through someone who shared a mutual fandom of another artist!) and yet the band laid themselves open to carping from the U2 haters by spamming their music library!

On 2/9/2017 at 7:53 AM, MirrorballSuit said:

A huge number of genuine fans have had BIG problems trying to get hold of pre-sale tickets thanks to 'The Machine' of LiveNation, TicketMaster and SeatWave, to which ultimately U2 belong as a Live Nation band.

Every tour it seems that, even for subscribers, it gets harder to get good tickets to see our favorite band. I remember the madness outside Earls Court, London in 1992 for ZooTV when the overnight queue for tickets broke down early the next day, causing a stampede over people still sleeping because people were crashing the queue. U2's attempt to stop touting/scalping meant that you had to apply in person to get a band on your wrist, BEFORE you could go in and buy tickets. Tickets were limited to 4 per person but by the time we got to the door, it was cut to 2.

Since then the Internet has happened and made ticket buying worse. Ticketmaster cause nearly all of that particular misery, and now they seem to have legalised touting by selling hundreds of thousands of tickets through SeatWave. And the worst thing? There has been ZERO COMMENT from the band. Why would they? Bite the hand that feeds...

It seems that, whether a member of Propaganda, or U2.COM, a pre-sale token no longer guarantees you a ticket to the gig of your choice. Many people signed up on the day, paying $50 for an access code, that was effectively useless. I believe that this is something the band, the site and Live Nation seriously need to address.

So the question that stands is this: Is it still worth the hassle for a long term fan like me to keep paying $50 a year for U2 subscription, when the pre-sales are worthless, the band seem more interested in doing anything BUT making new music, and the content refresh and news happens so infrequently? I bet most fans subscribe because of the pre-sale. We have all of the music a dozen times over already (Album > CD > Special Editions > iTunes etc). U2 COULD have hit on a trick of giving their last album away free to U2.COM subscribers a week before it hit iTunes. We would have been so much more grateful for THAT than the thousand's who complained that Bono was spamming their music library!

I just don't know. I feel jaded. I feel like Joshua Tree 2017 may be my last gig ... 22 gigs in several countries across every tour. A pilgrimage to Dublin in 2009 where we met the band. Subscription for years to Propaganda and the website. Being realistic - the hassle MAY be too much next time. Bono CAN'T sing anything like he used to. He croons like Neil Diamond most of the time. Big songs are detuned...

This could be the dawning realisation that the journey is ending. That I really did see the band peak during ZooTV and everything since has been 'good' but not 'great'. After the summer concerts, and if we EVER see that other album come to light ... we'll see.

Good points well articulated (for a post)  ... I agree...we'll see

Man up Dudes! Next time - Clear your Browsers, make space on your computer, etc. before going online to purchase. Maybe use a Friends computer if they have Higher speed internet. Also churning out songs/albums could be done if you sacrifice quality & the guys DO have a life outside the band. Not trying to be a jerk, but get real folks.

since you have been a member so long you are in red hill and there should be no problem getting the seats or GAs you want. have you had a problem getting?

On 07/06/2017 at 11:31 AM, onlyluv said:

Man up Dudes! Next time - Clear your Browsers, make space on your computer, etc. before going online to purchase. Maybe use a Friends computer if they have Higher speed internet. Also churning out songs/albums could be done if you sacrifice quality & the guys DO have a life outside the band. Not trying to be a jerk, but get real folks.

Ha ha.

They had a life outside the band in the early 80's. From 1981 to 1987 we had Boy, October, War (plus Under a Blood Red Sky), The Unforgettable Fire and The Joshua Tree. No problems with quality there I can tell you. Five albums in what, six years? There's a video somewhere of Bono complaining it took THREE MONTHS to record The Joshua Tree saying something like it took waaaaay too long.

There's a fine line blurring perfection and creation. I bet a lot of what we'll NEVER HEAR will resonate with fans around the world as awesome. Listen to the 'Baby' versions of Achtung Baby, or the Hansa Studio tapes. There's some genius stuff in there that most bands would probably rip their arm off to be able to release. However listen to Mercy. There's an 'original' version online which I heard and could NOT believe it wasn't released. It's raw, un-mixed but genius. I met Bono in Dublin in 2009 and I asked him "how can you come up with a song like Mercy and not release it? Writing lines like "Love is when I lie, Love puts the blue back in my eyes" - it's just genius" and his answer? "You Heard Mercy? Do you like it?" (we said yes, of course and he replied "You know that could be the best song U2 have ever written! We just gotta find the f***er who leaked it :-)"
When I heard it was being played on 360 I was excited. However Bono had tinkered and changed it. Quite a lot. And I didn't like the 'released/live' version as much. That's personal taste. So sometimes it could be best to release what you've written in that moment, as the moment is what a song is all about, no?

Re ticket purchasing - I have a very very fast Internet connection thanks and was sat online concurrently using various computers. Still didn't win for GA tickets. However I have seats. Not what I wanted but pre-sales are, these days, a lottery.