theladyA

Let's talk about the set list/ Set List [merged]

123 posts in this topic

So had to Google the archives for my first U2 experience:

The Joshua Tree Tour 

10/6/1987

Cleveland Municipal Stadium.  

The setlist was as follows: Where The Streets Have No Name, I Will Follow, Trip Through Your Wires, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / Exodus (snippet), Out Of Control, MLK, The Unforgettable Fire, Exit / Van Morrison's Gloria (snippet), In God's Country, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Rain (snippet) / Help, Bad / Walk On The Wild Side (snippet), October, New Year's Day, Pride (In The Name Of Love), 

encores: Bullet The Blue Sky, Running To Stand Still, With Or Without You, 40 / I Can See Clearly Now (snippet)

LET'S PREDICT THE SETLISTS FOR JT 2017!!

The LadyA Predicts:

City of Blinding Lights
Until the End of the World
Moment of Surrender
I Will Follow
Please
Even Better Than the Real Thing (persona as Trump)
Part II (persona as Trump)
Desire (persona as Trump)
Numb
Heartland
Acrobat
Beautiful Day

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
With or Without You
Bullet the Blue Sky
Running to Stand Still 
Red Hill Mining Town
In God's Country
Trip Through Your Wires
One Tree Hill
Exit
Mothers of the Disappeared

Encores:
Where the Streets Have no Name
MLK
Pride (In the Name of Love)
The Unforgettable Fire
Bad
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Halleluah (leonard Cohen)
One

Edited by theladyA

That would be an epic set list! I like the idea of City being fist and the second half being strictly JT! Who knows what they have planned though. They are always full of surprises.I seriously wouldn't doubt a Trump persona though after their performance of Bullet. Bono Fired Trump!

I think they'll play every song but not necessarily in any order...probably dotted around the setlist and other songs.

I think the rest of the set will lean heavily on War, UF and maybe a few from R&H too as it will flow better with TJT stuff rather than the more recent material. (Though I'd still expect BD and maybe One etc)

Anything from Pop or Zooropa is highly unlikely I'd say.

I can't wait to hear EXIT and in Gods country. I hope they play some of the B-sides from Joshua Tree too!

Acrobat...definitely.

Love that proposed set list!  Edge said they are planning to play the album in order but not open the entire show with Streets.

I would also love Window on the Skies, or Walk to the Water.  

Surely they need to go back to closing with 40?

That would be an epic set list! I like the idea of City being fist and the second half being strictly JT! Who knows what they have planned though. They are always full of surprises.I seriously wouldn't doubt a Trump persona though after their performance of Bullet. Bono Fired Trump!

Kristinlynnx, I was thinking an alter ego of Trump, a persona like he created MacPhisto and modeled the character after Ronald Reagan for ZooTV.  MacPhisto was a parody of the devil.  Those songs, Even Better Than the Real Thing, God Part II, and Desire come from a voice of someone morally questionable.  Thus, my hunch on that.  Also, he preformed at iHeart Desire and used Trump soundbites to express greed.  Just a thought....start with pointing out the complacency of popular culture, political climate, into JT which questioned the humanity of that at the time and resonates today, into the end or revolt/rebellion/strength of the masses into we are One.  40 was on my original guess as the last song a definite maybe.

Surely they need to go back to closing with 40?

Agreed, think 40 will end the show then I second guessed myself.  You're right Andy.

Think they will play for approx. 20mins then descend into darkness and as the red/orange lights come up, play the whole JT album in order - then leave the stage and return for an encore or 2.

I could see the setlist starting with a 'best of' and then flow into JT staring with ISHFWILF and saving Streets from the first encore.

The Edge suggested that they could include some other songs rarely played but they would have to flow within the overall arch of the setlist.

I'd like to see Silver and Gold, Hallelujah here she comes, Hawkmoon from that era.

Maybe A celebration and 11 O Clock from earlier but hope they finish with 40.

I think the time has come to start the petition for A Celebration.  It seems like the perfect time for it.

SIlver And Gold and Spanish Eyes added to that set.

I'm just flabbergasted that Red Hill is going to be played. I can't wait to hear how they arrange it so Bono can sing it. I love that song so much, I'll volunteer as a tribute to hop up and hit the high notes for him. I do it all the time in my car. I'll be really happy if they slip Heartland in there or make any kind of nod to Pop.

You guys think we might see Mr Macphisto back at it again it'd be dope for sure he could call the White House or turnp

I don't see it - I think these shows might be quite light on AB/Zooropa era.

It won't easily tie in with what looks to be a basic stage show or the overall theme. I'd expect One to get an airing or two but I even expect UTEOTW/MW/EBTTRT to be dropped for these shows ... just don't see them fitting in personally.

I was just thinking, I recall seeing somewhere on this forum that there was someone who really wanted them to play Bad and I'm sure it's been many years since they have, and the person was pessimistic about ever hearing it again. I'm willing to bet on the good possibility of that being on the playlist for this one, thinking it'll be a lot of very old stuff, everything up to and including JT  possibly being on their playlist. Let's hope!!

Edited by perenelle

I think what the setlist will be divided into two parts. The first with the 11 songs of TJT and the second with more 10 or 12 songs of the others.

Bad, Stay, New Year´s Day, Pride, One, Until the end..., could be into the second part.

I was just thinking, I recall seeing somewhere on this forum that there was someone who really wanted them to play Bad and I'm sure it's been many years since they have, and the person was pessimistic about ever hearing it again. I'm willing to bet on the good possibility of that being on the playlist for this one, thinking it'll be a lot of very old stuff, everything up to and including JT being possibly on their playlist. Let's hope!!

I was fortunate to hear Bad at MSG on the last tour.  I think they played in the cities where they played multiple nights.  There is a definite feeling or theme with this album and the current times and I think we will hear more from War than UF.

You guys think we might see Mr Macphisto back at it again it'd be dope for sure he could call the White House or turnp

I totally forgot about the phone calls to the White House.  He could actually bring the gold gifted phone back, it resonates! I really think MacPhisto/Trump persona should appear more than ever and he should sing God Part II...

"Don't believe in excess

Success is to give

Don't believe in riches

But you should see where I live.

I, I believe in love.

Don't believe in forced entry

Don't believe in rape

But every time she passes by

Wild thoughts escape."

I could see the setlist starting with a 'best of' and then flow into JT staring with ISHFWILF and saving Streets from the first encore.

The Edge suggested that they could include some other songs rarely played but they would have to flow within the overall arch of the setlist.

I'd like to see Silver and Gold, Hallelujah here she comes, Hawkmoon from that era.

Maybe A celebration and 11 O Clock from earlier but hope they finish with 40.

Would love to read your Playlist predictions....

Streets

Still Haven't Found

With or Without You

Bullet

Running To Stand Still

Red Hill

In God's Country

Trip Through Your Wires

One Tree Hill

Exit

Mothers of the Disappeared

Desire (full throttle, full band, with a new, savage Trump Montage) -to signify the end of the JT set and electroshock everybody awake after MOTD

Until The End of the World

Acrobat (fits the current mood, may as well pull this one out while we're at it)

Vertigo-Stories for Boys snippet

B-Stage

Angel of Harlem

The Sweetest Thing

All I Want Is You

Back to Main Stage

​Sunday Bloody Sunday

Bad

Pride

Encore

​The Miracle of Joey Ramone

Beautiful Day

One/MLK

I'm not a huge fan of warhorses, in fact there are a couple in this set list that I would probably use as bathroom breaks, but I feel with the crowd that U2 is potentially going to draw to these shows (i.e. the "casual" fan etc.) this would give us a nice mix of well known material, rarities, newer stuff, JT focus, and current events thematic unison.  Plus, it would flat out rock.  I loved The Sweetest Thing on the Elevation tour...if the boys are going to draw out some fans who have tuned out over the last few years, this might be their second time at "re-applying" for the position...not that it matters now anyways.  I'd rather see them make the music that they enjoy now.  But in my books, any U2 tour is a good thing, and I am anxious to see the JT stuff in full, as I missed out on it the first time, as I am only 36 years old.  Saw 4 of Springsteen's River shows this past year, and they were among his best...so this concept does work if performed correctly.  IMO, it does NOT work if they do not play the album in sequence.  Just doesn't make sense to me....the album tells a story as an album, as a collection of thoughts,  and as a body of work, for these shows, I think its integrity needs to be maintained.  As always YMMV...

Edited by zooropamofo

It could happen. It something U2 will have to think heavily on how they don't want to exactly piss off some fans and Bono might have to ask, "Am I buggin ya??" "Don't mean to bug yah" Since they are some fans who aren't exactly behind U2 and their politics. lol 

Even so...like someone said. Window's In The Skies, Walk To The Water, Spanish Eyes, Heartland,  Luminous Times.(Hold On To Love)....B-sides.