theladyA

Let's talk about the set list/ Set List [merged]

123 posts in this topic

B-sides!    Silver and Gold, for sure. Spanish Eyes, Sweetest Thing, Walk to the Water...

I would lose my friggin' mind if they played "Acrobat" and "Sweetest Thing" anywhere but those two making an appearance with "Please" leading into The Joshua Tree portion of the set would probably send me into cardiac arrest.

I mean, it'd be worth it. But don't be surprised if that's the set and you read the news item...

1) Where The Streets Have No Name

2) All Along the Watchtower

3) In God's Country

4) Trip Through Your Wires

5) I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
6) Exit

7) Bullet The Blue Sky
8) Running To Stand Still

9) Red Hill Mining Town

10) Until The End of the World

11) New Years Day

12) One Tree Hill

13) Bad

14) All I Want is You

Break

15) Vertigo

16) The Fly

17) One

18) With or Without You

Break

19) Desire

20) Beautiful Day

21) City of Blinding Lights

22) Mothers Of The Disappeared

I think the staging and production this time will dictate the setlist. If it's a basic staging design (by their standards) I think some of the heavy production songs like COBL for example might finally be dropped for this show. As its hard to imagine them being played now without a big production.

But given that their big stadium shows and already playing an album in full, which is very hard to do especially playing the album in sequence without causing a lull in the audience. A lot of casual fans will be in those stadiums who love the album but never paid much attention to the second half.

I think they would focus more on the 80s stuff...I don't think much of AB, Zooropa or Pop will be included, but more of Boy, October, War, TUF and Rattle and Hum, B-sides and rare songs..

There will likely be some more recent songs from the last 15 years that might fit in with the tone of The Joshua Tree material, but just have a feeling a lot of the 90s stuff won't be included this tour, just a theory though...

1. A Sort of Homecoming - this will surprise everyone:)
  2. Out Of Control
  3. I Will Follow
  4. Vertigo 
  5. Elevation
  6. New Year's Day
  7. City Of Blinding Lights
  8. Tomorrow
  9. Desire
  10. Sunday Bloody Sunday
  11. People Get Ready/The Sweetest Thing
  12. Gloria 
  13. October/Wave of Sorrow
  14. The Unforgettable Fire
  15. Beautiful Day
  16. All I Want Is You
  17. Where The Streets Have No Name
  18. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
  19. With Or Without You
  20. Bullet The Blue Sky
  21. Running To Stand Still
  22. Red Hill Mining Town 
  23. In God's Country
  24. Trip Through Your Wires
  25. One Tree Hill
  26. Exit
  27. Mothers Of The Disappeared
  28. Silver and Gold/Spanish Eyes
  29. Angel Of Harlem 
  30. Electric Co.
  31. MLK/Pride (In The Name Of Love)
  32. Bad
  33. "40"
Edited by andrewfineberg

They're not going to play 33 songs... They're not The Cure ;-)

1)  Out Of Control

2)  I Will Follow

3)  Until The End Of The World

4)  Acrobat

5)  Ultraviolet

6)  'Wild Horses

7)  Vertigo

8)  Numb

9)  MOFO/Discotheque

10) Please ..(ala Popmart into)....         

11) Streets                       

12) ISHFWILF

13) With Or Without You

14) Bullet The Blue Sky

15) Running

16) Red Hill

17) In God's Country

18) Trip

19) One Tree Hill

20) Exit

21) MOD

Encore 1

Hawkmoon

Desire

Pride

Encore 2

MOS

Beautiful Day

One

Oooooh yes, Please into Streets....I just got chills.  Love your setlist prediction because if includes songs we haven't heard live in a very long time, perhaps another nod to the retrospective of the tour?  I know some people on the forum think time either pre-Joshua Tree with little post, or your evolution of great songs not heard that surrounding JT, or a real theme of politics...I think the boys are going to hit hard about social consciousness and questioning politics a majority spoke in elections on Brexit, Trump etc... the music will surround that as a theme is my prediction.  We know JT was about their exploration into American music and subsequent tour/creation of Rattle and Hum which should naturally make appearances on this tour but the boys have a knack of storytelling and creating segments of song lists to do that on their tours...that will dictate the setlist...yes?

Not sure on running order but I'm going to say the following - 

TJT - 11 Tracks

Vertigo

Beautiful Day

Cedarwood Road

Every Breaking Wave

Sweetest Thing

Pride

Bad

Sunday Bloody Sunday

I Will Follow

All I Want Is You

Desire

One

That makes 24 tracks. But I think its the most likely scenario - I don't expect many surprises considering the number of tracks from TJT they will be playing for the first time in a very long time.

These will probably be in rotation - Elevation, SFS, Stuck In a Moment, Angel of Harlem, MLK, NYD, TUF

I think Acrobat MIGHT get played but think they could save that if the SOE tour kicks off again.

5 or 6 songs pre Josua tree then into the Jousha Tree.

With an encore of 5 or 6 post Joshua Tree to finish .  Where  this will be tricky for the band is that for 8 songs following With Or Without You they will have to play no singles, the purists amongst us will be in our element however the casual fan may lose interest.

1. 5 or 6 songs pre Josua tree then into the Jousha Tree.

With an encore of 5 or 6 post Joshua Tree to finish .  Where  this will be tricky for the band is that for 8 songs following With Or Without You they will have to play no singles, the purists amongst us will be in our element however the casual fan may lose interest.

It would be great to hear "Heartland" in Cleveland.  Also, I sure hope they close with "40".  And, while I'm compiling my wish list, could they play "Gloria"?  Oh well, I'm bound to love it no matter what they play.  The energy, the enthusiasm, the crowd--July can't come soon enough!

They're not going to play 33 songs... They're not The Cure ;-)

Zoo Bahn-, wasn't that Cure show incredible??  

I know this is gonna sound totally crazy - but what if they don't actually play the entire Joshua Tree record?  I know that right now they're saying that they will, and that the tour promotional materials are promising that they will.  But I'm still feeling a little...let down... on how all of the Innocence & Experience tour materials said that that tour would have two completely different setlists, and was sold as such, only to have the band abandon the idea at the last minute.

I certainly hope they play the entire Joshua Tree album.  I have no reason to believe that they won't.  And yet, there's a part of me that wouldn't be shocked if it doesn't survive the tour intact.  This isn't even a guess that it'll happen, just a slightly uneasy feeling.

I know this is gonna sound totally crazy - but what if they don't actually play the entire Joshua Tree record?

We all get refunds!

I know this is gonna sound totally crazy - but what if they don't actually play the entire Joshua Tree record?

We all get refunds!

I wish!  I didn't get a refund when U2 announced they'd be playing two different shows last time, and then only did one.

This is my first post on here for about 10 years and it's always interesting when the subject of set lists comes up.

I'll split my post into two parts, what I'd like to happen and what I think will happen 

What I'd like to see

- Album played from start to finish

- Contemporary b-sides and a selection of JT era favorites

- one of two rarities

- Greatest Hits

So it would look something like this

Streets

ISHFWILF

WOWY

Bullet

RTSS

Mining

Gods Country

Wires

One Tree Hill

Exit

Disappeared

-------------

Silver and Gold

Spanish Eyes

Electric Co

Gloria

Party Girl

Sweetest Thing

Sunday Bloody Sunday

New Years Day 

-----------

Vertigo

Until The End of The World

I Will Follow

Acrobat

Every Breaking Wave (Full Band)

------------

Desire

What I think will happen.

I think they will play the album in full but in a re-sequenced order - I think most people would agree whilst the album is brilliant, the flow probably isn't as good as it could be. What I've done below hasn't been over thought it's merely a suggestion.

Bullet

ISHFWILF

Wires

Country

Mothers

Mining

Streets

One Tree Hill

Mothers

Exit

WOWY

-------------

Greatest Hits, the odd deep cut and a few JT era b sides

Beautiful Day

I Will Follow

Stuck in A Moment

Gloria

Pride

Until The End of The World

Sweetest Thing

Spanish Eyes

Song for Someone

Even Better Than The Real Thing

Vertigo

Out of Control

Things to consider

- U2 have never done a concert of more than 27 songs so I'd imagine 22-24 songs will be the length of the gigs 

- Bono's voice will dictate the songs played - I full expect a bastardised version of Red Hill - almost akin to the piano only version of EBW - or they do it in a much lower register. Either way, the passing of time means it's highly unlikely it'll be delivered at full throttle

- Though this is a Joshua Tree Tour celebration U2 always caters for the casual fans, so the old war horses which either need retiring or resting will be dragged out (Beautiful Day, Elevation yadda yadda) 

Ultimately, the cynic in me says U2 has lost their nerve and done something I didn't think they would do. For better or worse, they've generally resisted nostalgia and looked to move forward. Times have changed, the record buying public has changed, the days of them having the big hits has gone. They should concentrate on releasing goods songs, that are well played and well sung and sound great. The Edge stating Trump coming to power means they need to reflect and write some songs about it (I'm paraphrasing of course) strikes me as nonsense and is overstating how important U2 are now and how important their voice is to whole wide world. I'd love to be wrong and see them come out fighting but they're a very different beast now. Do they still have the fire in their belly or do they just want the corporate buck !

As a fan of 35 years standing, I'm sure I'll enjoy the Twickenham gig but I'd prefer U2 in Arenas playing multiple dates with set lists mixed up a-la Springsteen. But it'll never happen. 

I'd be interested to hear peoples thoughts..........

Today Rolling Stone posted an interesting interview with Adam where he discusses the tour, setlist possibilities, and the Experience album.  In terms of the setlist, he admits that they haven't started working on it yet but here are a couple of interesting comments...

"I spoke to Edge a few weeks ago. He wasn't sure the show was going to start with "Streets" and go right into the album. How do you see that happening?
'We haven't really sat down and worked out the dynamics of it yet, but I suspect it would sit as the crown in the show. I think we would definitely want to open with perhaps something that is not dissimilar to the Songs of Innocence run [where we did our early 1980s songs] and get people in the mood for this thing that's coming and you give some sense of history of where it came from. Then it'll be a scene change. … This is my guess. We won't know until we start playing it around quite a bit. We will either start with "Streets," or end with it, I might think, but there will be a scene change. Whether or not we go completely in sequence, we've yet to work out'..."

"I imagine one challenge in playing it in sequence is the four most famous songs are the first four. Then there's seven straight that are lesser-known to a mass audience. Doing them all in a row could be a challenge in a stadium. Do you worry about that?
'Umm … I think we really have to wait and see. I think anyone that's coming to that show clearly knows that record well. What we would need to figure out is whether that's a suite of songs [and] with our new knowledge of 30 years hence we could breathe life into them in a different way, or whether we kind of bundle them together with some other songs that are thematically in keeping with those. Again, I wish I could be more positive with that, but we aren't that far down the line. We have the aspiration, but we haven't quite figured out how it'll happen. But it will happen and we always toy around and experiment until it feels right.'"

Are you going to play the album in sequence at the shows?
I believe we will, and I say "believe we will" because that is certainly the working assumption right now. The show might not necessarily start with Track One, Side One, "Where the Streets Have No Name," because we feel like maybe we need to build up to that moment, so we're still in the middle of figuring out exactly how the running order will go, so yes. We will be playing the album in sequence.

-----------------------------

I agree that the concert will begin with non JT material. Around songs 8-10, they'll play Streets and then go in sequence.

The rubber meets the road, of course, with the rest of the show.

Because this is buried so deep in a long thread, there is no chance what I'm about to say will filter up.

But, guys, this is your last chance to play material exclusively from the 80s.

New Year's Day should be played every stop.

Think about including more R&H, Hawkmoon and Silver and Gold, for instance.

Why?

Because you started fleshing out this album during the JT Tour.

And let's not forget JT Tour staples like People Get Ready.

I realize you must keep the non-uber fans happy.

But give it consideration.

Play only music from 1980-1989.

You've got the SOE tour coming up where you can play everything else, and then the tour we've all been waiting for:

the AB anniversary tour!!!

Edited by kiss_the_sky

We were treated to BAD followed by 40 on the second night in Cologne in October 2015  - a slice of heaven for sure !  :D  :D  :D

If they are going to try to stick with songs relevant to recent happenings, Raised by Wolves should definitely stay in the rotation. There is so much hate being sewn on both sides of all the issues going on in the world, this song calls out such behavior. Keep it in I say.

MLK and Pride would fit.

One doesn't fit but they don't like skipping their super hits, so it probably stays.

Options from ATYCLB

Walk On or Peace on Earth, or more playfully Stuck in a Moment

Options from HTDAAB

Love and Peace or Else

It may be that playing all of JT will be enough of a bummer they feel they need to bring in some of the more upbeat standards.

Re JT playing it in order will still work. In 87 people still listened to albums front to back. The album worked well because those big hits,starting the album disarmed you with their hopeful message. Transitioning through Bullet wakes you to social justice then drags you across the rubble of sorrowful songs with the explosive release of Exit. Mother of the Disappeared lets you down slowly again. Then you restart the album cause your not sure what happened to you the first time through. That's when Streets, WoWY and ISHFWILF lift you up again and cemented their positive emotional connection. would like them to stay as true to this if they have the bravery. Exit has to stay at the end or second to last or they risk upsetting the original emotion transitions.

It will be fun regardless.

I think I got it......

Since this is a "Throwback" tour of sorts......U2 has to go through the time machine....and chronicle where they came from, and how they matured to the point of "Joshua Tree"...which will be the centerpiece of the show....and where that maturity brought them to.

With that in mind...I envision a "chronology" that takes them right up to 2018 and "Songs of Experience".....Of course, not everything can be represented. Sorry if you're a big "Pop" fan  :rolleyes:

Here's how I imagine the setlist to play out.

SET ONE (11 Songs)

I Will Follow

Gloria

Sunday Bloody Sunday

New Year's Day

A Sort Of Homecoming

Bad.........

----Side one of JT-----red screen, organ buildup

Streets

Still Haven't Found

With Or Without You

Bullet The Blue Sky

Running to Stand Still

BREAK-INTERMISSION

SET TWO (12 songs)

----Side two of JT----easy opening with

Red Hill Mining Town

In God's Country

Trip Through Your Wires

One Tree Hill

Exit

Mothers Of The Disappeared

----wild applause, but gotta rock it out, so....

Until The End Of The World

Acrobat

**Stay (Faraway So Close)     **---acoustic version on "B" Stage

**Stuck In A Moment

**Sometimes You Can't Make It

**Every Breaking Wave

Encores (2 songs)

Miracle (of Joey Ramone)

One

Edited by tonyvenn

You guys think we might see Mr Macphisto back at it again it'd be dope for sure he could call the White House or turnp

It could happen. It something U2 will have to think heavily on how they don't want to exactly piss off some fans and Bono might have to ask, "Am I buggin ya??" "Don't mean to bug yah" Since they are some fans who aren't exactly behind U2 and their politics. lol 

Even so...like someone said. Window's In The Skies, Walk To The Water, Spanish Eyes, Heartland,  Luminous Times.(Hold On To Love)....B-sides.

No chance at mawhatevr......if that happnes I'm done, guy richie fired and Bono and co are tested for methanphethmines

won't happen . . . until 2021 and the AB anniversary tour

I think I got it......

Since this is a "Throwback" tour of sorts......U2 has to go through the time machine....and chronicle where they came from, and how they matured to the point of "Joshua Tree"...which will be the centerpiece of the show....and where that maturity brought them to.

With that in mind...I envision a "chronology" that takes them right up to 2018 and "Songs of Experience".....Of course, not everything can be represented. Sorry if you're a big "Pop" fan  :rolleyes:

Here's how I imagine the setlist to play out.

SET ONE (11 Songs)

I Will Follow

Gloria

Sunday Bloody Sunday

New Year's Day

A Sort Of Homecoming

Bad.........

----Side one of JT-----red screen, organ buildup

Streets

Still Haven't Found

With Or Without You

Bullet The Blue Sky

Running to Stand Still

BREAK-INTERMISSION

SET TWO (12 songs)

----Side two of JT----easy opening with

Red Hill Mining Town

In God's Country

Trip Through Your Wires

One Tree Hill

Exit

Mothers Of The Disappeared

----wild applause, but gotta rock it out, so....

Until The End Of The World

Acrobat

**Stay (Faraway So Close)     **---acoustic version on "B" Stage

**Stuck In A Moment

**Sometimes You Can't Make It

**Every Breaking Wave

Encores (2 songs)

Miracle (of Joey Ramone)

One

I like the thinking, and ultimately you are right. They will unlikely stick to 80s songs.

So here's my question.

Will any one show include only songs from 1980 through 1989 (minus a SOE throw-in)?

I say yes.

They will try it at least once

Not a bad stab at the set list..I like some of the choices outside the Tree...BUT, this is big...they Had BETTER live up to it, and make t his EPIC!, otherwise whats the point?...from a band that never wanted to look back, etc....THIS is there shot to go all out to to the diehards, make that magical setlist within the constructs of a thematic adventure...We've talked about his for 20 yrs plus,,...If our not doing new music, bring the house...ala Roger Waters/Floyd...where you incorporate the Tree celebration throughout a 120 minute set....never knowing what song will be played until the moment it fits...I personally DO not NEED to hear the Fuckin Tree in its entirety AGAIN...THAT would be boring....truthfly, i'm only excited about tracks 5-12 at this point!!...so much potential BUT...they had better incorporate Seconds into the set, and i see acrobat ending the show.....there's a lot to ponder but...they better get it done proper!  30yrs......30yrs?....Most of us we'll be dead in another 30.....THIS is the time to do a fucked up setlist off the charts for die hards!! If only for the summer before that companion thing EVER gets released!!...Lets see it guys!! locked and loaded!!! I'm waiting!!!  :D

no offense, but, yes, i want the whole album four times at all four concerts!

Per my Joshua Tree Tour conspiracy theory on another thread (I+E->JT->Next?), I'm going with pre-Achtung Baby songs only:

01. Where The Streets Have No Name

02. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

03. With Or Without You

04. Bullet The Blue Sky

05. Running To Stand Still

06. Red Hill Mining Town

07. In God's Country

08. Trip Through Your Wires

09. One Tree Hill

10. Exit

11. Mothers Of The Disappeared

12. All Along The Watchtower

13. Silver and Gold

14. Stories for Boys

15. All I Want Is You

Break

16. God Part II

17. Sunday Bloody Sunday

18. Seconds

19. A Sort Of Homecoming

Break

20. New Year's Day

21. Pride (In The Name Of Love)

22. I Will Follow

23. Bad

(Occasional encore)

24. Helter Skelter - with guest vocals and guitar by Noel Gallagher

25. Out of Control

26. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock

Okay it's a bit indulgent but we can dream...

Whoa!!!

My favorite one yet.

Heavy inclusion of R&H!!!!