theladyA

Let's talk about the set list/ Set List [merged]

123 posts in this topic

Although the Edge said that they will would play the album in sequence, he added that the final set-list and running order was still to be determined. My guess is they will not only break up the album, but also change the sequence.  I predict that they open with some JT songs, play a mix of other older and newer songs, more JT songs, other songs, then an encore with the rest of the JT songs.  Something like this...

Bullet The Blue Sky
  I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
  Red Hill Mining Town
  In God's Country

OTHER SONGS

Running To Stand Still
  Trip Through Your Wires
  One Tree Hill

OTHER SONGS

Encore:
  With Or Without You 
  Mothers Of The Disappeared
  Where The Streets Have No Name
  Exit

I guess it's not long until we find out what the band settle on in terms of the setlist.

I actually really like how the tracks run on CD but it is a puzzle to how they will present it live. 

Personally I much prefer Streets to be played towards the end of the main set and with a build up to it rather than have it as an opener. 

I loved the last tour where they rotated Gloria, Out of Control and Electric Co and would love to see these tracks on this tour plus ' I Threw a Brick, New Years Day, Drowning Man and of course Bad and 40. Wouldn't mind if they rested I will follow and SBS.

Then I love them to release something special related to the tour for next years membership gift!

Let's face it folks.Whatever they decide to play , it's going to be an epic night no matter which concert you are going to.We all would like to see some songs live that we haven't seen before though.For me it is Hawkmoon and Drowning man.

A lot of very good set lists and folks have taken a bit of time to put them together. 

I also note those that say is should be music from and up to the Joshua Tree album and anything post JT should be left out and I have to 100% agree with that.

The 80's is where U2 came to the fore and as fan of the band from those early days I would hope that this concert is a nostalgic walk down memory lane.

Can't wait!!!!  :D

I think they were playing Bad in some of the Vertigo Tour.

I think they were playing Bad in some of the Vertigo Tour.

I saw it on both 360 Tour (Croke Park 3) and i&e (Glasgow).   Still want to see it again though! :) 

Posted (edited)

1.  Out of Control

2.  I Will Follow

3.  Gloria or Electric Co.

4.  MLK

5.  Where The Streets Have No Name

6.  I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

7.  With Or Without You

8.  Bullet The Blue Sky

9.  Running To Stand Still

10.Red Hill Mining Town

11. In God's Country

12.Trip Through Your Wires

13. One Tree Hill

14. Exit

15. Mothers Of The Disappeared

16. October

17. New Year's Day

18. Sunday Bloody Sunday

19. Bad or Luminous Times

1st Encore

20. The Sweetest Thing or Wave of Sorrow

21. The Unforgettable Fire

22. Pride

2nd Encore

23. A Sort of Homecoming

24. People Get Ready or Silver and Gold

25. "40"

Edited by Thanksandy

Who wouldn't take this, who would not take this. One of the best....just to get us in da mood!  :)

Great sound. They and us a little bit older so I guess we all improvise. Fans have the benefit of relaxing beforehand though.

Who wouldn't take this, who would not take this. One of the best....just to get us in da mood!  :)

Great sound. They and us a little bit older so I guess we all improvise. Fans have the benefit of relaxing beforehand though.

Really enjoyed that Yardie! 3mins of intro, drums, guitar! I don't see it being the opener - but you are right, nobody in the stadium would be disappointed with that!!

Should just play the joshua tree and the songs that are best live would love it if they played ultraviolet its far from my favourite song but it was live  how they played it on the 360 tour..It was the same with zoostation on the vertigo tour awsome wall of noise when you are there.

@ Yardie

Have looked at the set list. It's awesome and I'd accept the same when they tour again this year.

Apart from I would replace the two Beatles covers and include stuff like: Drowning Man, Out of Control, I Threw a Brick,Two Hearts and possibly a few of Rattle and Hum.

I was just thinking, I recall seeing somewhere on this forum that there was someone who really wanted them to play Bad and I'm sure it's been many years since they have, and the person was pessimistic about ever hearing it again. I'm willing to bet on the good possibility of that being on the playlist for this one, thinking it'll be a lot of very old stuff, everything up to and including JT  possibly being on their playlist. Let's hope!!

They played Bad in Boston in the SOI tour, so I think it could def be in the set list.

What I would like to see is JT and earlier albums played. However, like others here, I think we'll get a smattering of Beautiful Day, etc...

It is interesting to see whether they will play the songs in order. U2 and Springsteen are mutual admirers of course, and Bruce was doing The River album tour last year. Now, that is a double album of course, so it is a bit different. He started the tour performing the album in sequence. We caught him on the last date. It was a 4 hour show and he had completely abandoned the format. So the set lists may evolve, partially depending on whim and partially on Bono's voice.

Either way, it is great to have another opportunity to see the boys play!

So Bono has said on radio with Chris Evans that they " will be playing the album in sequence" - so do we have a Streets opener then?.... and a very short show? :)

I wonder what that wily fox means....he himself probably still doesn't know at this point. ;)

I would love Streets as the opener, with the long intro like in Rattle and Hum. And hope that I don't get so excited that I pass out and miss the rest of the show. :P

I think Streets makes a great opener. The question now is what else will they play, because while I would still enjoy the show, I wouldn't be super happy spending so much just to get however long of the opening act and then maybe an hour of U2. I think they'll probably be looking at what other songs they did play on the original JT tour, and then which songs that came after JT that would fit in the setlist and be relevant today, since that seems to be a big factor with them. I really hope Bad makes a frequent appearance! And I can't see them not playing One. Guess we'll find out next month!

I've enjoyed reading this thread.

Since this is all in our heads... I have two thoughts / assumptions I would love to see.

1. Assume a similar AB tour in a couple years.

2. Play only songs from the 80's for this tour plus perhaps a SOI and / or SOE song or two.

3. Similarly, play only songs from the 90's for the AB tour in a couple years.

While I can't see it happening, it's an interesting idea.

I'll be thrilled to simply hear Bad, All I Want is You, and 40. This should be fun to pass the time until the iPhone 8, I mean SOE is released later this fall.

I wish they would pay tribute to the original tour as well and play more or less the same set list as in 87/89. This is all about nostalgia anyways so why not go all out? I have a feeling they might try to play the album in some kind of sequence, but I'd prefer something like this:

Streets

I Will Follow

Still Haven't Found

Angel of Harlem

Trip Through Your Wires

God Part II

Gloria

MLK

Unforgettable Fire

Red Hill Mining Town (can't wait to see how this turns out)

In God's Country

Sunday Bloody Sunday

Exit

One Tree Hill

Bad

Electric Co

October

New Years Day

Pride

Bullet the Blue Sky

Running to Stand Still

Silver and Gold/Spanish Eyes (pick one)

Desire

With or Without You

Mothers of the Disappeared

All I Want Is You

Out of Control/Party Girl

I fit in all of TJT as best as I could, but I do want to hear a few R&H songs too! In the end I'm just happy to be seeing them, I'll be satisfied no matter what.

I would love Streets as the opener, with the long intro like in Rattle and Hum. And hope that I don't get so excited that I pass out and miss the rest of the show. :P

Absolutely mich. I think it would be a refreshing approach from the band to do what is in effect a retro tour, in a true retro style. Then after it's done, we hopefully climb back on the wagon for a new album where they can mix it all up again.

My best friend went to a U2 concert back in our college days (late 80's); I couldn't make it due to scheduling conflicts.  I was a huge fan then as I am now.  That U2 concert, them playing Red Rock, was a transformational moment for me as I watched it on MTV. I've been a fan since.

I  thought I finally had a chance to see them in Denver a few years back, but after Bono's bicycle injury, the show was rescheduled and I couldn't make that date.  So, here I am excited as hell that I get to see them this year in Dallas, for the first time.  

I love the fact that I get to hear those songs from the concert I missed in the 80's.  Still, if I had one wish above all others for the set list, that would be "Bad."  This song is absolutely my favorite song of all, and I would love to see it live.  

Thanks to all who rattled and hummed about set list possibilities...we are moments away from knowing how they will start JT 2017 in Vancouver and I for one have baited breath filled with anticipation.  I am like a child with a Christmas gift alone nights before the holiday wondering...should I peak or delay the pleasure and be surprised?    

21 minutes ago, theladyA said:

Thanks to all who rattled and hummed about set list possibilities...we are moments away from knowing how they will start JT 2017 in Vancouver and I for one have baited breath filled with anticipation.  I am like a child with a Christmas gift alone nights before the holiday wondering...should I peak or delay the pleasure and be surprised?    

Peek!  If you are anything like me you won't be able to resist.  

11 hours ago, lilymappin said:

Peek!  If you are anything like me you won't be able to resist.  

I peeked!!! Did you lily?  Any thoughts?  I'm still hoping for Bad and Unforgettable Fire to show up.  

45 minutes ago, theladyA said:

I peeked!!! Did you lily?  Any thoughts?  I'm still hoping for Bad and Unforgettable Fire to show up.  

I peeked...I couldn't resist.  I was so hoping for Bad and Unforgettable fire too....but early days!  Seeing the pictures is so exciting!