Sign in to follow this  
allyson2008

Acrobat

allyson2008    7

This might be common knowledge, but I don't know the answer... please don't rip me apart for not knowing!

What is it about Acrobat - why have they never played it live?

Personally, I don't find it difficult to sing. While I'm not a musician, the rest of the music seems very similar to "Until the End of the World."

Have they ever explained why they don't play it live? It's a great song, IMO.

Grande 3:16    5

I never understood the demand for Acrobat getting played live. They haven't played Grace either and nobody is itching for that.

I could list a dozen rarely played songs that I'd rather hear.

While I'm not a musician, the rest of the music seems very similar to "Until the End of the World."

They do have a bit of a resemblance. Maybe that's why they haven't done it.

dmway    4

This might be common knowledge, but I don't know the answer... please don't rip me apart for not knowing!

What is it about Acrobat - why have they never played it live?

Personally, I don't find it difficult to sing. While I'm not a musician, the rest of the music seems very similar to "Until the End of the World."

Have they ever explained why they don't play it live? It's a great song, IMO.

I'm with you - I love the song and hope they will play it live someday.

They did come up with a live version of sorts during the warm-up shows/rehearsals for ZooTV - it was more a sampling of the song that, I think, was intended to be the introduction to the show. If you rewatch the intro to, say, the Live from Sydney DVD, the sampled/remixed 'Acrobat' seems to have been the prototype for what eventually became the intro we're all familiar with.

I bet at least the audio of Acrobat from these warm-up shows/rehearsals is available on YouTube somewhere...

allyson2008    7

Simple really they have much better songs 

Actually, I was wondering if any of the band members have stated why they haven't played it live.

Yes, they have better songs. They also have songs I like much less that they play at almost every show. (I really dislike "Sweetest Thing" and "Beautiful Day." ...just my opinion.)

Edited by allyson2008

allyson2008    7

http://www.u2gigs.com/show609.html

Acrobat was rehearsed in Hershey Pa in '92. 

I also wish "So Cruel" would have been performed. I was in Lakeland, FL during the Zoo TV rehearsals and they tried "So Cruel" a few times there as well but never live in concert. 

So Cruel is a great song (IMO). ;)

dmway    4

http://www.u2gigs.com/show609.html

Acrobat was rehearsed in Hershey Pa in '92. 

I also wish "So Cruel" would have been performed. I was in Lakeland, FL during the Zoo TV rehearsals and they tried "So Cruel" a few times there as well but never live in concert. 

Yes - that was the rehearsal I remembered. Thank you for posting the link!

"So Cruel" is excellent - I hope that makes an appearance someday live too. :)

In fact, I'm kind of hoping they do a celebration of AB/ZooTV when that anniversary rolls around the same way they're doing one for JT now...

They also have songs I like much less that they play at almost every show. (I really dislike "Sweetest Thing" and "Beautiful Day." ...just my opinion.)

high.five.13.jpg

gibbo1968    69

A joke shirley??????

ask any U2 fan worth their salt and I think acrobat would top most peoples lists

jojes    0

A joke shirley??????

ask any U2 fan worth their salt and I think acrobat would top most peoples lists

It's certainly high on my list ...

pain_18_    207

A joke shirley??????

It's certainly high on my list ...

It's on the top of my list.

adrnik    3

A joke shirley??????

Not really.

We are all different and can like /dislike any songs without being felt less because of it.

Personally I much rather hear So Cruel than Acrobat.

Even if So Cruel was done acoustically it is IMHO better than Acrobat.

phill pohl    0

Funny how people think their own opinions are what the majority of people think .My personal opinion is most u2 fans worth their salt would put acrobat low on their list probably because i dont rate it and looks like u2 agree as they never play it .

iinsure    0

So my good friend was lucky enough to meet Adam and ask him this exact question...  At first he said "we've played it" and then when pressed he tried to explain how it was a complex song and it's really a builder and essentially it doesn't really quite fit in with how the shows flow. Something to that effect, and my friend tells the story awesome...  I have a video of him explaining it, and if I can figure out how to post it, I will indeed share, with his permission.

allyson2008    7

So my good friend was lucky enough to meet Adam and ask him this exact question...  At first he said "we've played it" and then when pressed he tried to explain how it was a complex song and it's really a builder and essentially it doesn't really quite fit in with how the shows flow. Something to that effect, and my friend tells the story awesome...  I have a video of him explaining it, and if I can figure out how to post it, I will indeed share, with his permission.

Cool! Thank you! :)