Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

adrnik

New material

14 posts in this topic

I'm pretty sure that whilst listening to Radio 2 this morning Chris Evans mentioned that Bono would be coming in next month (March) with a new single.

Anyone else catch this?

that will probably be the new version of red hill mining town

that will probably be the new version of red hill mining town

I thought you were joking at first and then I read the below.

The following makes me go "oh dear!!!"..

"U2 have also been working with Lilywhite on a new version of The Joshua Tree‘s “Red Hill Mining Town.” Bono has re-recorded his vocal, and the new mix has brought out the brass band that was buried in the original."

I was willing to run with the story that The Joshua Tree has become relevant again in the current political climate, but now it's starting to sound more like that line from God Part II.

I wasn't joking.... but the band are joking with this anniversary tour and single. Just a way to avoid admitting they are not capable of recording a great album anymore by celebrating the time where they were on top of their game

I don't have a problem with U2 playing greatest hits or milestone tours. The guys are pushing 60, their last good album was 2004 and their last great album was 1997. If that's all they can do these days, a U2 greatest hits tour* would still be one of the greatest shows on Earth.

KISS tour without a supporting album, Rolling Stones are basically just greatest hits shows. Crowds keep going to see them.

I can't see U2 going like INXS - packing out Wembley Stadium to opening for Matchbox 20 - any time soon.

_________

* WORLDWIDE tour please

I was willing to run with the story that The Joshua Tree has become relevant again in the current political climate, but now it's starting to sound more like that line from God Part II.

U2 started sounding like that line in God Part II since 2000's ATYCLB ....except the slight hop of 2009's No Line on The Horizon......Which was a good album imho and HTDAB was good too (2004)....but not as good as NLOTH.........

I don't mind if they won't put out any new material at all. They have so many good and great songs already, and the new material isn't as good. As long as they tour and we get to hear all the great ones.

U2 started sounding like that line in God Part II since 2000's ATYCLB

I thought it was more "Look everyone, we're back to being normal! Please love us again!"

I thought it was more "Look everyone, we're back to being normal! Please love us again!"

To me, normal U2 is when they're pushing the envelope.

To me, normal U2 is when they're pushing the envelope.

I guess "pushing the envelope" means different things to different people.

I like the fact the band still do this for the live shows even if their albums don't do this as much.

Really not sure why people moan, U2 have aged, as we all have together and of course they won't be as edgy as they use to be but NLOTH was a fantastic album and SOI was a very good album, all new music and their last 2 albums.

Commemorating TJT is a brilliant idea, it was the album which turned U2 into Mega Stars and the biggest band in the world, at the time in 1987, it was an album that pushed boundaries, just like Achtung Baby then did in 91.

U2 will produce another Studio Album but in the mean time lets just enjoy re-visiting one of the greatest ever albums made.

I wasn't joking.... but the band are joking with this anniversary tour and single. Just a way to avoid admitting they are not capable of recording a great album anymore by celebrating the time where they were on top of their game

I think they needed to fill the calendar as the release of SOE may be contractually tied to the next Apple iPhone release in September.  By doing the TJT tour, they also fulfill part of the contractual obligations to Live Nation.  Win win all around except for the delay of SOE.  ...If this results in a similar Achtung Baby nostalgia tour in a few years before Songs of Ascent, I am all for that too.

I think we should all feel slightly lucky that in U2, we have a band that maintains its original line up and still performs live to an extremely high standard. That is something to really celebrate along with the memories many of us will have of growing up with that band. Anything the band release now is always seen as a bonus by me. They really have nothing to prove to anyone, so its great they are touring still, and great that they are recording still.