Max Tsukino

THE JOSHUA TREE at 30. Share your JT memories / collection / adventures / dreams

pain_18_    207
2 hours ago, toyoracer said:

I remember really getting into U2 in 2004 at the age of 15 (so no, I was not around during the original JT era). My mom had bought me almost their whole discography in 2 months. JT was one of the first. Because it was around Christmas time, I always associated WTSHNN with Christmas and would cry during the intro. I don't have the Christmas association anymore, but I have resorted back to crying when it was played in Houston on Wed. Partially, because it's so moving. Partially, because I associate JT and the love of U2 with my mom and she's no longer here to experience this tour with me. We would definitely be crying together.

Wow....Finally there's someone who got into U2 at the same time as me (and almost same age) !!!  Also....VERY moving, everything you said.....You must have burst into tears when being there in person and experiencing  The Miracle.....of U2 !!!!

It hit me straight in the heart on Mixlr for Dallas two days ago when they played " Trip Through Your Wires" because I was always considered a loser for listening to u2 and that song especially......I wasn't there but I was in spirit with all the other online fans together sharing.....and I sang my lungs out along with  Bono and air-drummed and almost collapsed on my laptop from dancing to it.........!!!

Edited by pain_18_

Frankaz    93

I was a 'loser' at school for listening to the wrong music (Dire Straits, U2, Bryan Adams), being quiet, having longish hair, etc...

But I refused to cave in. I still listen to the (wrong???) music.

pain_18_    207
1 hour ago, Frankaz said:

I was a 'loser' at school for listening to the wrong music (Dire Straits, U2, Bryan Adams), being quiet, having longish hair, etc...

But I refused to cave in. I still listen to the (wrong???) music.

Preach IT !!!!!!  'Cause you know.....You said it so well !!!!

Edited by pain_18_

toyoracer    2
6 hours ago, pain_18_ said:

Wow....Finally there's someone who got into U2 at the same time as me (and almost same age) !!!  Also....VERY moving, everything you said.....You must have burst into tears when being there in person and experiencing  The Miracle.....of U2 !!!!

It hit me straight in the heart on Mixlr for Dallas two days ago when they played " Trip Through Your Wires" because I was always considered a loser for listening to u2 and that song especially......I wasn't there but I was in spirit with all the other online fans together sharing.....and I sang my lungs out along with  Bono and air-drummed and almost collapsed on my laptop from dancing to it.........!!!

I remember there was this show on VH1 back in the mid-2000s called "I Love the 80s". One of the commentators was talking about U2. He was saying, "I've never cried at a concert until I went to a U2 concert!" Bono - "How long, how long must we sing this song?" Guy-*crying* "I don't know how long, Bono!" He was doing it jokingly, but it's true!

"Trip Through Your Wires" is a fun song, so I totally get what you mean! That track was always enjoyable, so to hear it live, I'm doing my little dance in the crowd that I always used to do when listening to the CD. Those people who made fun of you are oblivious.

pain_18_    207
On 28/05/2017 at 5:54 PM, toyoracer said:

I remember there was this show on VH1 back in the mid-2000s called "I Love the 80s". One of the commentators was talking about U2. He was saying, "I've never cried at a concert until I went to a U2 concert!" Bono - "How long, how long must we sing this song?" Guy-*crying* "I don't know how long, Bono!" He was doing it jokingly, but it's true!

"Trip Through Your Wires" is a fun song, so I totally get what you mean! That track was always enjoyable, so to hear it live, I'm doing my little dance in the crowd that I always used to do when listening to the CD. Those people who made fun of you are oblivious.

I remember how much air-play U2 used to get on VH-1...at least 10 songs a day plus the airing of specials like BEHIND the Legend :  U2..... I was glued to the TV !!!

I was mind-blown when  I  heard THE FLY for the first time ever on VH-1's Top 10 INSECTS !!!!!

They had these fun little top 10 thingies...Not to mention the U2 Top 50s....... Where you found out U2 had songs and videos you never knew existed !

Edited by pain_18_

Anita    0

The first time I saw U2 was on MTV, Bono on the rooftop, singing Where the Streets Have No Name. I was in love! At 12, my mom was not going to let me go see The Joshua Tree concert and I was devastated. I made a goal to save my allowance and purchase every single U2 tape ever made! Years later, I convinced my Aunt Helen to take me to see my first U2 concert, PopMart! I remember it like yesterday when Bono came out with fly looking glasses and big boots! Chicago Soldier Field looked like Vegas! We have never missed a concert since. My Aunt suddenly passed away this past November. I miss her every day and this will be the first time I will see U2 without her. I will cry when they sing With or Without you thinking of her but I am sure her seat will be better than mine. Also, I will remind my mom that I seeing the Joshua Tree tour on Saturday, making up for not going 30 years ago. Rock on U2 fans and welcome to my city, Sweet Home Chicago!!

pain_18_    207
1 hour ago, Anita said:

The first time I saw U2 was on MTV, Bono on the rooftop, singing Where the Streets Have No Name. I was in love! At 12, my mom was not going to let me go see The Joshua Tree concert and I was devastated. I made a goal to save my allowance and purchase every single U2 tape ever made! Years later, I convinced my Aunt Helen to take me to see my first U2 concert, PopMart! I remember it like yesterday when Bono came out with fly looking glasses and big boots! Chicago Soldier Field looked like Vegas! We have never missed a concert since. My Aunt suddenly passed away this past November. I miss her every day and this will be the first time I will see U2 without her. I will cry when they sing With or Without you thinking of her but I am sure her seat will be better than mine. Also, I will remind my mom that I seeing the Joshua Tree tour on Saturday, making up for not going 30 years ago. Rock on U2 fans and welcome to my city, Sweet Home Chicago!!

WOW.........I loved hearing your story and how you have this special U2-bound with your Aunt......I'm sure Chicago will explode with craziness !!!!  Have fun !

yardie    14

Hey, I can't share my memories really, unfortunately - we had no friggin' wifi! But this wee clip gives a flavour. Only briefly at the very end do we get the energy everyone had as younger human beings back in the day at the old Croke Park - that split second of raw energy when 'Streets' kicks in .

We've come a long way it's fair to say. I love this. A young Dave Fanning kicks it off. Many of you may be familiar already.

Like I've said mostly this year - every year that passes and every year that I get an opportunity to see a band that swallowed me musically from my very early teens -  is a bonus. Really fortunate to have been around to see them then. Really fortunate that they and I are still around to do it all again.

pain_18_    207
51 minutes ago, yardie said:

Hey, I can't share my memories really, unfortunately - we had no friggin' wifi! But this wee clip gives a flavour. Only briefly at the very end do we get the energy everyone had as younger human beings back in the day at the old Croke Park - that split second of raw energy when 'Streets' kicks in .

We've come a long way it's fair to say. I love this. A young Dave Fanning kicks it off. Many of you may be familiar already.

Like I've said mostly this year - every year that passes and every year that I get an opportunity to see a band that swallowed me musically from my very early teens -  is a bonus. Really fortunate to have been around to see them then. Really fortunate that they and I are still around to do it all again.

...Always intrigued to see the world before I was born (just approximately 7 months away from the time of this video) and especially U2.......

Seems like Bono was chewing gum (one can also observe it on the Paris Dvd that we got with the 20th anniversary  TJT reissue ).

Love how that crew-member is having his/her arms crossed but dancing from the waist down at the beginning of Streets and the wild reaction of the public  whose age was around U2's age at the time (27) or less.....Indeed...roaring energy !!!

What " young " band conjures that much energy and happiness today, I'm wondering......YES......It's still them......It's U2 !!!!!!!

Luv the nostalgia feel in what you say Yardie.....I can feel it too......

Edited by pain_18_

I've been around since then:) My JT memory is primarily me with a shoe microphone belting out "With or Without You" when I was 10 years old:) My sister and I saved our allowance and bought our mom JT for her birthday. Of course, I played it myself and sang along a bit after we gave it to her:). Although I didn't really become a real fan until I discovered Pop at the age of 18, I have quite a few memories of u2 as a youngster. 

pain_18_    207

Anybody else notice how the screen of the 2017 TJT Tour Stage is curved to the inside in the middle and has those spot-lights encompassing it, just like Anton Corbijn photo-film-reels which represented U2 in the desert and you had the sensation someone was pulling the photo by its sides and everything else was shapeshifting while U2 was sitting still in the center or just the whole photo running in front of your eyes like a mirage .....

Edited by pain_18_

jbzooropa    0
I remember our Southwest trip with my Dad and Stepmother at the time in '91. I listened to The Joshua Tree the whole time because this was my first time to the desert and I could imagine what an impact it had on U2 and also myself. The whole drive I was looking out the window for the actual Joshua Tree on the album. This was before google so I had no idea where they took that picture. My dad and my brother thought I was crazy. Which I am. When we went to Death Valley we stopped at a lookout point and suddenly it looked very familiar. I ran back to the car and grabbed my Joshua Tree tape case. We were at the very spot where U2 took the picture for the tape case cover which was different from the vinyl version. So my Dad being the professional photographer that he is took this picture to recreate the actual cover photo. I was in heaven. Not so crazy after all. Anyways, I think I'll submit this photo and the story on U2.com. They want fans to submit stories about the impact of The Joshua Tree on your life. For me it meant everything. I fell in love with the desert and I sensed what the band felt on their voyage through the desert. It's emotional just thinking about that time. I think that was the only album I listened to on my Walkman for two years. No joke. I also tried to learn every song on that album on my guitar. I even looked at the credits in the back of the U2 concert program from the Silver Stadium show to figure out what guitar strings The Edge used and proceeded to go buy them at House of Guitars in Rochester, NY. I even found their Managers name at the time, Ellen Darst, and called her in NYC. I think she was the tour manager since Paul McGuiness has been their manager since the beginning. I am crazy. My brother and I even painted our car for the ZooTV tour. I lived and breathed U2.  I got the chance to meet the band in Dublin after a session outside their old studio. I waited 6 hours. Awesome!! I even received an email from Bono on my birthday. The only way he knew my birthday was because I left a CD earlier that day at his house that had U2 covers I recorded on my four track. I attached a label on the front with all of my information. When I met him later that night i asked him if he received it. He said "That was you?" and I replied "Yes". He then said he picked it up. Who knows if he ever listened to it but at least he thought of me to email me and wish me happy birthday. That email is framed and hung on my wall next to a personal autograph from him as well. Subsequently, my friends and l have attended several concerts since then. They were as hooked as I was. Our first show was at Silver Stadium in Rochester, NY for The Joshua Tree tour. The band promised to come back to Rochester but they never did. We couldn't get enough. We even chased their limo in Toronto from their hotel until a truck cut us off. That was when we painted our Chevy Nova with images from Achtung Baby and large ZooTV graphics on both sides of the car. I forgot about this but we actually got to talk to Edge and Bono after the show that night. So I got to meet them three times after different shows and once in Dublin. I can die a happy man. I know many of you will think I'm crazy but music has always been a big part of my life and there is no other medium that can transport you back to that time. That's why it's so important and influential on one's life. Well, I hope I haven't bored you all. I'll see some of you in Cleveland and Buffalo. Don't make fun of me if I cry. LOL. Check out the photo attached from Death Valley.

Justin Beal (BonoEdgeAdamLarry)
(mod edit, email removed)
Rochester, NY

Death Valley Justin & Noah 1AB jpeg.jpg

U2JNBest.jpg

utwothefly    13

After 6 shows in Twickenham, Croke, Paris and Brussels those shows will definitely stay with me for sometime. IGC and exit were the highlights for me and Patti Smith coming on for MOTD. Really great shows, the screen is so clear and the tree stage helps getting rail! 😀

I had a strange dream where The Edge was being interviewed and he revealed he was part cat LOL!!  I personally don't understand what this dream meant, but if the U2 guitarist begins to meow, ing or scratching his bandmates, we will know something is up LOL!!

Helbig    6

I have the original THE JOSHUA TREE, and now I have the 4 CD super deluxe set box. It is brilliant.

But it wouldn't be as good as to see U2 live.

I have never seen them and want to so much.

I hope they come to AUSTRALIA-ADALAIDE. Love THE JOSHUA TREE and love U2. So come to ADALAIDE U2. Karen. :u2-1383: :wub:

pain_18_    207
3 hours ago, illumination70 said:

I had a strange dream where The Edge was being interviewed and he revealed he was part cat LOL!!  I personally don't understand what this dream meant, but if the U2 guitarist begins to meow, ing or scratching his bandmates, we will know something is up LOL!!

I want to hear that guitar screech on SOE !!!!!