Sign in to follow this  
Latha

Amsterdam - Recomndations on Hotels/ Neighborhoods Needed.

Hello Everyone,

Now that the Dutch elections are over I asked for the time off this morning from my manger and I am ready to book my very 1st trip to Amsterdam.  The Netherlands will be country #24 for me and I am very excited!  I will be attending both shows and I am looking for recommendations of neighborhoods/ hotels that are safe and easy to get to/ from the arena.

Also, based on previous experience when do people start lining up for GA?  The day before, several days before or the day of?

Thank you,

Latha :)

Hi Latha,

I would recommend a hotel just outside of the city centre, which is really crowded. Maybe you can try the 'Oud West' area or a hotel close to the Vondelpark. Depends a bit on your budget, but there are plenty of reasonable hotels in Amsterdam. And what about airbnb? They have plenty of options. To be safe, don't look for accomodation in, or near the red light district as a lot of 'wrong' people are on the streets at night (and it's really crowded at night).

The journey to the ArenA is an easy one, take a tram or walk to the closest metro (subway/underground) station and take the 54 towards Gein. It's a 15 minutes ride to the Bijlmer/ArenA station which is located next to the stadium. Be sure you'll get a 24/48/72 hrs public transport pass, this can be used in all trams, metro and trains in and around the Amsterdam area.

GA normally is starting quite early, but if you show up at 9 am you'll be fine. If you show up at about 2 pm you still make it into the first section, but you cannot have a spot at the railing. 

This information was very helpful!  One more question, do you recommend buying train tickets from Amsterdam to Brussels (for July 31) far in advance or is this something I can easily purchase a few days before in Amsterdam?

Thank you very much Gogme United!

https://www.nsinternational.nl/en/traintickets#/

Hello Latha,

This is the website to order international traintickets outside of Holland. The main trainstation in Amsterdam is Amsterdam Centraal. But you can see on google maps which trainstation is closest to your accomodation in Amsterdam or Brussels.

I don't have any experience with buying international traintickets. It is pretty easy for me, I grab a car and within two hours I'm in Brussels.

And about not hiring a accomodation in the red light district. That is crowded with drunk English tourists in the weekend. So if you want some rest, you don't hire something there. But I got good experiences with Airbnb in Amsterdam. Also de pijp ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Pijp) is an area where you can look for an accomodation. 

This information was very helpful!  One more question, do you recommend buying train tickets from Amsterdam to Brussels (for July 31) far in advance or is this something I can easily purchase a few days before in Amsterdam?

Thank you very much Gogme United!

You don't have to buy train tickets in advance, but be aware that the international ticket office at Central Station can be quite crowded. So if you can, buy the upfront. And if you can afford, you'd better use the Thalys train. It's quicker, cleaner and you are guaranteed for a seat.

Check out the link Vianen provided. And check out the prices, they tend to go up for the Thalys (international train from Amsterdam to Paris via Brussels). If you decide to take the 'regular' international train, prizes will not change.

Thank you so much Vianen and thank you again Gogme United!

25 minutes ago, u2summer said:

where? gimme the link

Don't know the link, i thought it is in 3&20 

Edited by u2akira