mich40

Red Hill Mining Town 2017

If you don't want to listen to the whole show, go to 1:20.

I'm a little uncertain about this version as I like how raw the original is. However, like you say, I can't wait to hear it live. I read recently that Bono said "I can cry when I'm singing, literally. I can get very, very into it." I'm certain this is a song Bono will pour his heart and soul into so it could get quite emotional

This mix feels very...the word I'm gonna use is 'alive'. I like the fact that they kept the original takes of the choruses, as I don't think they could be done any better. I like the addition of the brass, and there seems to be more emphasis on Edge's guitar and backing vocals. It sounds very compressed but that seems to be more because of the fact that's being played on the radio. Only thing I don't like is that the "Let's go down on Red Hill" part is replaced with more of "You're that's left to hold on to" which sounds like it comes from a different take from 87 that never got used. 

I think the jumps between '87 Bono and '17 Bono make it interesting - you can hear how his voice has changed over the years but both are still instantly recognisable as the same voice.

Edited by peterferris8

The last 30 seconds of the song is definitely NOT from the original 1987 vocals.  Any thoughts as to whether the ending is 2017 vocals, or some other unused take from years ago?

I like it. Good job. You can def hear the new Bono vocal come through. Not a big fan of the brass arrangement, nor critical of it. A timeless song like the rest of the album - really looking forward to some live performances of it this year.

I love this mix. It sounds exciting. Am looking forward to hear the song live again later this year.

The last 30 seconds of the song is definitely NOT from the original 1987 vocals.  Any thoughts as to whether the ending is 2017 vocals, or some other unused take from years ago?

Probably is from 1987 - as I said, an unused vocal take.

The new mix is now available for purchase on iTunes.

^^^^That poll is much harder for me to answer than I ever thought it would be.  As much as I love the original, I didn't want them to touch, was even scared to hear the new remix.  But I have to say that it is pretty solid to me.  I've seen people say that they don't like it because it sounds too polished; but that's actually part of why I do.  I love that its sound is louder and clearer and the the newer "more mature" Bono sounds amazing to me.  And the new Edge vocals at the end, LOVE that.

POLL : So... which one do you prefer? #RedHillMiningTown1987 or #RedHillMiningTown2017 #U2TheJoshuaTree2017

— U2.com Zoo Mods (@U2comZooMods) April 25, 2017
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This track is so special, you need to break that down into what is your favourite lyric (line) in that song Bigwave. :)

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This track is so special, you need to break that down into what is your favourite lyric (line) in that song Bigwave. :)

I tried since you asked yardie... can't do it.. i like all the lyric, even though for the most part of it done;t know what the hell its about  (apart from being inspired by the miners strike in UK at that time, which affected us around here big time). Love the imagery in the lyrics, if I had to choose... this

We're wounded by fear

Injured in doubt.

I can lose myself

You I can't live without.

*** More importantly.....is that 2017 BONO doing the chorus ? 'Cause it totally sounds like 1987 Bono.....and if it's the 1987 version...I really can't see the point in it...Aren't we supposed to hear what 2017 Bono can do ? ...  I'm very curious about how the LIVE version will sound....

Edited by pain_18_

1987 Bono on the chorus.

The 2017 version has a shorter guitar intro and 2017 Bono vocals are less hurried. It seems like he is making an effort to enunciate the words clearly. The brass is alright, would have been better as strings IMO.

All in all this is an interesting novelty but it won't replace the rawness of the original.